Advice Required! (Returning Player <3)

Hello!

Thanks for viewing this post.

Apologies if it’s quite lengthy… Here we go.

I’ve recently returned to GW2 & I wouldn’t say I’m “lost” but I just don’t know where I’d be best focusing my time.

I’m writing this in the hopes that someone might be able to give me some pointers / feedback that will assist me on my adventures!

For context, I’m not a hardcore player at all, I’ve played through all of the story including EOD but had to stop playing shortly after the expansion due to life & work commitments.

I have 8 professions at max level all with at least an exotic set of gear for at minimum, one (probably not meta but reasonable) build.

All have most or all elite specs unlocked.

(With the exception of warrior as I have no desire to make / play this prof )

With a little bit more free time on my hands I really want to continue progressing with my account, I’m just concerned that because I don’t know in which order to best do certain things, that I’ll end up overlapping and coming back to the same thing twice, when they could have been tied together.

I’m at a mastery rank of 252 with around 6.5k AP

I have at least one full set of berserker ascended gear (light) - moved this to my virtuoso after realising they’re real pumpers.

And an almost full set of heavy Condi asc gear which is on my condi-ren

I’m not that bothered about ascended gear grinding as I can comfortably participate in most things with what I already have & im happy to accrue further pieces just as / when. However, I would like to start at least working towards some legendary pieces as I hear the grind is quite lengthy (and rightly so?!)

I understand the Return To: achievements, offer a lot of rewards and help you craft some, can anyone share a little more detail on this? Do I just get the legendary as a reward for finishing them all, or do I have to start a collection as well / at the same time?

For the other legendaries like EoD aurene weapons do I have to get a legendary from a previous expansion first? How does it work? I’m assuming it might be an arborstone mastery track?

Also, I wouldn’t mind getting all of the mastery points - but how much is this really going to benefit me?

Core Tyria: I need 9 extra MP for the last track in the legendary crafting line but have 0

HoT: I’m 4/6 Itzel Lore I’m 5/6 Exalted Lore I’m 4/6 Nuhoc Lore And 5/6 ancient magics

And have 3 points to spend

PoF: I need 13 MPs to do the Skimming Depths collection and the Skyscale wall launch (I have 0 points to spend)

IBS: 3/4 raven attunement 2/4 resilience essence manipulation 1/4 valour essence manipulation 4/6 waystation 0/7 Dragon Slayer

I have 11 points available

(I didn’t enjoy IBS iirc and I don’t think I ever revisited it after I played through the story)

EoD: Fishing 2/5 Skiff Piloting 1/4 Jade Bot 4/5 Arborstone 0/5 Turtle 0/5

37 points to spend.

Finally, I have a couple of crafting disciplines at 500 but never really use them? Is it worth getting the others or am I wasting gold/time?

I remembered I was going to start jewel crafting to upgrade my jade-mech before I had to stop playing but nobody really talks about jade-mech anymore so I don’t even know if it’s worth doing.

The research notes kinda confuse me too, am I supposed to be using them on food items & then the notes = the jade mech recipes?

Thank you so much for reading all of that if you got this far & i’m sorry if this feels like a copypasta from loads of other previous returning player posts, I’d asked in-game but I’m getting a lot of “just play the game” which, I promise I am doing! I’d just prefer to tie things up together rather than double up on work, if that makes sense?

The length isn't a problem, but there's something very odd going on with the formatting of your post which makes it hard to read (at least for me) it's all split into grey boxes. I've copied it below as plain text:

Hello! Thanks for viewing this post. Apologies if it’s quite lengthy… Here we go. I’ve recently returned to GW2 & I wouldn’t say I’m “lost” but I just don’t know where I’d be best focusing my time. I’m writing this in the hopes that someone might be able to give me some pointers / feedback that will assist me on my adventures!

For context, I’m not a hardcore player at all, I’ve played through all of the story including EOD but had to stop playing shortly after the expansion due to life & work commitments. I have 8 professions at max level all with at least an exotic set of gear for at minimum, one (probably not meta but reasonable) build. All have most or all elite specs unlocked. (With the exception of warrior as I have no desire to make / play this prof )

With a little bit more free time on my hands I really want to continue progressing with my account, I’m just concerned that because I don’t know in which order to best do certain things, that I’ll end up overlapping and coming back to the same thing twice, when they could have been tied together.

I’m at a mastery rank of 252 with around 6.5k AP. I have at least one full set of berserker ascended gear (light) - moved this to my virtuoso after realising they’re real pumpers and an almost full set of heavy Condi asc gear which is on my condi-ren.

I’m not that bothered about ascended gear grinding as I can comfortably participate in most things with what I already have & im happy to accrue further pieces just as / when. However, I would like to start at least working towards some legendary pieces as I hear the grind is quite lengthy (and rightly so?!)

I understand the Return To: achievements, offer a lot of rewards and help you craft some, can anyone share a little more detail on this? Do I just get the legendary as a reward for finishing them all, or do I have to start a collection as well / at the same time?

For the other legendaries like EoD aurene weapons do I have to get a legendary from a previous expansion first? How does it work? I’m assuming it might be an arborstone mastery track?

Also, I wouldn’t mind getting all of the mastery points - but how much is this really going to benefit me?

Core Tyria: I need 9 extra MP for the last track in the legendary crafting line but have 0

HoT: I’m 4/6 Itzel Lore I’m 5/6 Exalted Lore I’m 4/6 Nuhoc Lore And 5/6 ancient magics and have 3 points to spend

PoF: I need 13 MPs to do the Skimming Depths collection and the Skyscale wall launch (I have 0 points to spend)

IBS: 3/4 raven attunement 2/4 resilience essence manipulation 1/4 valour essence manipulation 4/6 waystation 0/7 Dragon Slayer, I have 11 points available. (I didn’t enjoy IBS iirc and I don’t think I ever revisited it after I played through the story.)

EoD: Fishing 2/5 Skiff Piloting 1/4 Jade Bot 4/5 Arborstone 0/5 Turtle 0/5, 37 points to spend.

Finally, I have a couple of crafting disciplines at 500 but never really use them? Is it worth getting the others or am I wasting gold/time? I remembered I was going to start jewel crafting to upgrade my jade-mech before I had to stop playing but nobody really talks about jade-mech anymore so I don’t even know if it’s worth doing. The research notes kinda confuse me too, am I supposed to be using them on food items & then the notes = the jade mech recipes?

Thank you so much for reading all of that if you got this far & i’m sorry if this feels like a copypasta from loads of other previous returning player posts, I’d asked in-game but I’m getting a lot of “just play the game” which, I promise I am doing! I’d just prefer to tie things up together rather than double up on work, if that makes sense?

What to focus on: The short answer is whatever you want. At level 80 GW2 becomes very open-ended, you can focus on what you enjoy and largely ignore the stuff you don't. So IMO a good starting point is to think about why you came back: what did you look forward to or see yourself doing? What did you find fun before? That's likely to be the best place to start.

Legendaries: If you don't need ascended then you don't need legendary either. The stats are identical, the only benefit of having legendary equipment instead is that you can equip it on multiple characters and select any stat combination, so once you've got a legendary item you don't need to make any more of that type. But unless you have a lot of characters/builds or you're frequently changing stats it's probably not worth it.

But if you want to go for one the legendary amulet from the return to achievements is probably a good choice for you, because it does 'just' require the achievements. You have to do all of them, so it takes a lot of time, but there's no crafting or other collections involved and if you've already done all the storylines you've got a good idea of what's involved.

Most other legendaries are all stand-alone items, you don't have to have one to start getting another, either a newer version of the same item type or sets like armour. But that also means there's no discount or shortcut for already having one. For example if you make The Bifrost, the gen 1 legendary staff, then decide you want Nevermore or the Aurene staff or whatever it will be exactly the same process as if it was your first ever legendary and the only benefit you'll get is the skin because functionally they're the same, so it's worth thinking about which one you like best before starting on one.

(The one exception to them being stand-alone is the new dragon variants; those require you to make the Aurene legendary, then go through a new collection to unlock a new skin for it, but even then you only have to make the ones you want, you don't have to unlock any of the other skins if you don't want to.)

Masteries: Each mastery track has a different function and the individual masteries tend to get less useful as you go along, so it's really up to you to decide which ones are worth unlocking.

Crafting: Like masteries it really depends on what you're doing, so you can probably leave them until you find you need one rather than levelling them all up just in case.

• Like 3

I returned to the game four years ago and I still have not run out of things to do. @Danikat.8537 covers it very well. What do you enjoy doing? Is your return something that is likely to last weeks, months or years?

Legendaries are somewhat overated. Convenient, but pricey status symbols. If you do the Return to achievements, you'll be indirectly progressing for legendary accessories Aurora and Vision. With that many alts, they might prove more useful than a legendary weapon. As for legendary armor, that would require raiding, something I do not feel qualified to advise you on.

Masteries are more of a long-term project. I would definitely max out the mounts and the HoT ones (the non-raiding ones at least). The Mastery Point grind varies from almost trivial in EoD to painfully long and protracted in IBS.

Given what you are discussing, a good source of income is called for. I would recommend setting yourself some mid- or even long-term objectives, researching what mats you will need, and figure out how to get a decent cash flow without gimping your progress in the aforementioned objectives.

Good luck and welcome back.

22 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The length isn't a problem, but there's something very odd going on with the formatting of your post which makes it hard to read (at least for me) it's all split into grey boxes.

For me, it displays in super tiny font size, which also renders it unreadable.

Edited by Ashantara.8731

Yeah a bit hard to read. Black background white small font. The black background making this much longer - empty space between every line.

On topic: The normal suggestion for players with nothing at all is: Get raptor mount then progress through stuff in order of release. Or ... if you want - play completely in release order. (Unlocking the raptor much later.) Since you already have a Skyscale and max level professions but not everything maxed I would suggest:

Just do the stuff you like. Focus on one main and completing everything (map completion/story - at least ... you might omit core Tyria) first. Then maybe other chars. Make sure to get all the hero points to unlock all elite specs - if not already.

IBS mastery points are the most hardest - I have everything maxed and only 2-3 left or so. And they were a grind already. Core ... can be a bit slow. And that masteries are not tooo important. Should be finished a bit every now and then while you do other stuff in the core maps maybe.

From the EoD/PoF and the HoT ... I think HoT has a lot more than you need. More than EoD/PoF ... but also a lot of hard ones. I would recommend finishing PoF first - those are easy ones. Check the wiki and sites like gw2efficiency. Also ingame the different groups in the achievement window where the parent group already gets the mastery point icon if in the sub group there are any achievements left.

Edited by Luthan.5236