Torn between Scourge and Harbinger for open world

Quam Plures.5430

I've been leveling a Necro and I'm still undecided on which elite spec to get first.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty bad at this game, which is why I'm trying an easier class like necro this time, I've heard Reaper is faceroll for everything but all the ascended gear I have is a full set of viper's trinkets, so I want to still use that, limiting me to the other elite specs, so between Scourge and Harbinger, which is better for open world and why?

Edited by Quam Plures.5430
  • Like 1

Well... 

Scourge is a king of attrition and condi damage through several conditions if builded for them. In general - bunker style gameplay, place sand shades and play from them, pump shields like madman, and for the sake of meme unkillable build - death magic, blood magic, minions, life force sigil, lich rune set. Barrier from skills, barrier and health leaching from minions and condi transfer from you gives probably highest sustainability. 

Harbinger - feels like some junky gunslinger, with heavy accent on Torment condition and maintaining debuffing buff (blight, trade health for some buffs). 

I would say that scourge is a safer bet. And if you decide to try out some minions into your build for utility, than scourge will support them through his barriers. But sand shade management can feel clunky at first. 

Edited by Rhingeim.3974
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 3:24 PM, Quam Plures.5430 said:

I've been leveling a Necro and I'm still undecided on which elite spec to get first.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty bad at this game, which is why I'm trying an easier class like necro this time, I've heard Reaper is faceroll for everything but all the ascended gear I have is a full set of viper's trinkets, so I want to still use that, limiting me to the other elite specs, so between Scourge and Harbinger, which is better for open world and why?

So that depends on what you want. I run both in open world and there are pros and cons to both of them.

Scourge has a much better burst than Harbinger, able to open with a sizable number of bleeding, torment and burning just as an opener. Its DPS also stays consistent through fights and can keep at range fairly easily. In open world specifically you don't have to worry as much about life force so you can be a bit more open with what utility you want. They also tend to have very good AoE damage potential which makes them ideal for tagging mobs.
However, they aren't without their flaws. Scourge lacks recovery and substituting some of its DPS for recovery options tanks their DPS by a lot more than it does on harbinger. Their Bulk is actually fairly low, worse than reaper for sure and arguably worse than Harbinger's too. They make up for that with strong control, but this doesn't help their poor recovery which in attrition fights they can fall off if you're running a full Viper's set. They also lack movement and evasive skills which can pin them down much easier. Another weakness they have in comparison to Reaper and Harbinger is they have poor access to Quickness which can result in lower overall DPS if you're not using the Jade bot buffs or you run out of that in a fight.

As for Harbinger, Harbinger has decent burst, but not nearly as strong as Power reaper or Condi scourge, but its sustain will match that of scourge if not surpass it provided you managed to pick up boons from other players or through traits. Its burst in Open world is actually fairly similar to Condi reaper's but I'd say its better. Harbinger has far better recovery than Scourge, allowing it to gain almost 500 health a second using blight and regen without specing into any recovery which makes it a strong choice in long fights. They also have much more freedom to build into more sustain like gaining Ritualist and viper mixed gear and running a quickness build. You essentially have permanent quickness without much issue. Scourge also has some of the best movement of any necromancer and it even rivals some other classes. It too has good crowd control and offers a lot of sustained DPS.
The flaws do hold it back quite a bit though. It needing to cast elixirs means its opener will always be much slower than scourges which can double or triple the time you're in a fight if you're hopping from mob to mob to mob, where as Scourge doesn't have this issue able to just burst out much superior condi bombs at the start. Another flaw is that most of the harbinger's defenses are in their evasion and passive healing over time so a harbinger absolutely needs to be on the move far more than Scourge or reaper does. If you know how to dodge and use these skills to your advantage with their long stuns like vital draw you can absolutely dominate any map. Another flaw is harbinger is weaker on aoe than scourge, but that isn't to say they don't have options. Scepter, dagger, voracious arc, devouring cut and all the piercing skills doesn't mean its got weak aoe options overall, its just hard to match scourge which can hit up to 12 targets with sand shades.

Now, Which do I run in open world? Well, I have 4 different builds I typically run. Quickbringer, Condi Scourge, Power reaper and Condi reaper. Depending on my mood. Of these, Quickbringer offers superb recovery with permanant regen up time a whopping 13k health higher than any of the other 3 builds and its DPS and aoe boon application gives it great support when running around and randomly teaming up with others. Condi scourge works best in short bursts with the Jade overcharge buffs and in large group events where gaining quickness and alacrity are essentially guaranteed. Power reaper is best when the number of players becomes too much and you just need to tag mobs and Condi reaper is basically just for when you want to use something different with different skills.

To answer which is "Better" it honestly depends. BUT if I had to make a general statement? Scourge is probably mostly better simply because of it having probably the strongest AoE in the game. But if you're doing big meta events, Quickness Harbinger will just be more useful.

Edited by Lily.1935

On 7/3/2022 at 9:24 PM, Quam Plures.5430 said:

I've heard Reaper is faceroll for everything but all the ascended gear I have is a full set of viper's trinkets, so I want to still use that, limiting me to the other elite specs, so between Scourge and Harbinger, which is better for open world and why?

Viper Reaper is currently doing more dps than Berserker Reaper.

Just saying...

if you wish to tag many mobs for loot and participation then condi scourge is king but you will have to place sand shades very regularly so it can be cumbersome. It gives you also much more range and control though.

Harbinger I would rather run on a boon build especially if solo. Ritualist or Viper gear will do just fine. The aoe potential is rather poor though and you have to play from close to medium range while maintaining blight stacks but it will give your group more buffs and will feel less clunky to play in general. Being self sufficient with boons and sustain is nice.

still I'd recommend getting Scourge first

On 7/6/2022 at 8:16 AM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

For simplicity's sake I'd just go with harbinger.  You click the shroud button and proceed to murder everything around you with extreme prejudice.  It's much more low intensity than Scourge, which requires micromanaging shades constantly.  

You can just play with sand savant on open world.