New playeable races

48 minutes ago, Scratchpaw.1069 said:

Couldn't they just write a script that adapts current armors and their reference points with those of the new race's skeleton? I think a Tengu skeleton would not be that much different compared to the Charr skeleton. Just let the script change the reference points and then have a team do some manual cleanup if certain textures become too stretched or bugged? A new race would definitely be a huge selling point for another expansion so the return on investment might be worthwile.

That wouldn't work. Even similar skins between existing races (mainly human and sylvari) change and adapt skins to varying degrees. And it wouldn't be just looking for stretched textures, it would mean testing for clipping issues between different pieces and the character model. Tengu chests are similar to a charr's, yes, but their legs are not and their tails are in a different position and wider. Any adornments/hairstyles would further complicate matters and that's not even figuring out the foot gear and having to model that from scratch.

Or helms. The NPC tengu have several very different head options specifically because they didn't have to figure out helm swapping between them.

I also have my doubts anyone would double check things if such a script were remotely viable here given all the clipping and positioning issues that have been around for years and how many new items somehow are approved despite having glaring issues (e.g. the outfit that majorly clipped through female asura heads with its high collar, the mount skin that shall not be named, mechanist gloves on literally anyone for about a month after EoD, etc.).

A new playable race would be big news but it would be a heck of a lot of work and the standards of the current devs aren't up to task for something that would require changing thousands of assets.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scratchpaw.1069 said:

Couldn't they just write a script that adapts current armors and their reference points with those of the new race's skeleton? I think a Tengu skeleton would not be that much different compared to the Charr skeleton. Just let the script change the reference points and then have a team do some manual cleanup if certain textures become too stretched or bugged? A new race would definitely be a huge selling point for another expansion so the return on investment might be worthwile.

If a new race is practically identical to an old race, whats the point?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Zephire.8049 said:

That wouldn't work. Even similar skins between existing races (mainly human and sylvari) change and adapt skins to varying degrees. And it wouldn't be just looking for stretched textures, it would mean testing for clipping issues between different pieces and the character model. Tengu chests are similar to a charr's, yes, but their legs are not and their tails are in a different position and wider. Any adornments/hairstyles would further complicate matters and that's not even figuring out the foot gear and having to model that from scratch.

Or helms. The NPC tengu have several very different head options specifically because they didn't have to figure out helm swapping between them.

I also have my doubts anyone would double check things if such a script were remotely viable here given all the clipping and positioning issues that have been around for years and how many new items somehow are approved despite having glaring issues (e.g. the outfit that majorly clipped through female asura heads with its high collar, the mount skin that shall not be named, mechanist gloves on literally anyone for about a month after EoD, etc.).

A new playable race would be big news but it would be a heck of a lot of work and the standards of the current devs aren't up to task for something that would require changing thousands of assets.

to add to that even on exiting character races new faces cause problems. two of make over kit exclusive faces for male charr, that look like a big duke hound, have such long snouts they clip through almost ALL helmets. its dreadful with the dreadnought t3 cultural helmet (pun haha) and annoying with so many other helmets that do not out right cut the face away for aesthetic. the ONLY helmets that work fine are snout less ones (boring), t1 and 2 cultrual (which do NOT fit with dread now at all for some reason AND the elusive 900 gold or 1 in 4 gazillion drop chance visage of the khan-ur. yeah this alt of mine has ALOT of options doesn't he /s ?

I'd rather anet use their apparently very limited resources towards actual content. New faces, hair, etc would be cool though. But sometimes I wonder every time this topic comes up, does the OP even realize how terrible the costs of adding a new race would be? All the spoken dialogue, gear fitting, animations, etc? Terrible waste of resources. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

I'd rather anet use their apparently very limited resources towards actual content. New faces, hair, etc would be cool though. But sometimes I wonder every time this topic comes up, does the OP even realize how terrible the costs of adding a new race would be? All the spoken dialogue, gear fitting, animations, etc? Terrible waste of resources. 

No.  They have no concept.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

IDK how armor is done in this game but depending on its implementation it might not be that big a hurdle.

WoW uses anchorpoints which makes it easy to place armor on any model. Even the non-playable Naga can wear armor sets.

FFXIV custom fits armor which makes it a massive hurdle every time they add a new playable race (Viera and Hrothgar still can't wear hats).

If this game is more anchor point use then armor fitting should be doable. The big hurdle would be the voice acting + starting zones. The personal story makes it unlikely they will ever add a new race.

....That said it would be neat if they did. The Tengu already have tons of customization options and their armor sets would be tweaked Charr sets so.... just let me be a bird, please.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Psi Yamaneko.4265 said:

IDK how armor is done in this game but depending on its implementation it might not be that big a hurdle.

WoW uses anchorpoints which makes it easy to place armor on any model. Even the non-playable Naga can wear armor sets.

FFXIV custom fits armor which makes it a massive hurdle every time they add a new playable race (Viera and Hrothgar still can't wear hats).

If this game is more anchor point use then armor fitting should be doable. The big hurdle would be the voice acting + starting zones. The personal story makes it unlikely they will ever add a new race.

....That said it would be neat if they did. The Tengu already have tons of customization options and their armor sets would be tweaked Charr sets so.... just let me be a bird, please.

The FFXIV example is hilarious. They just give humans bunny ears and make them taller and say it's a new race. We expect more creativity over on this side. Which is why this will never ever happen. Not because anet doesn't have the creativity, but the effort and resources needed to realize the creativity of a new race is so vast, and the reward so low, it's just not worth it.

Edited by Einsof.1457

On 7/3/2022 at 9:11 PM, Ruisenior.6342 said:

A good diversity on races makes fantasy games more deep and mystic. I would love to play some other races like dwarfs, frogs, tengus, kodas as some examples and if its possible with its own locations/cities/lore.

Please make it real for upcoming expansions.💗

hopium for 

tengu & largos

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 7 months later...

I think you can even have them be unlockable through some story stuff, and then maybe skip the racial story that the core races have since that would be a lot of extra developer work. Just have their personal story pick up around level 30 or whenever the pact story starts. 
It's funny to me, that you mention Tengu and Koda as "others" when they (to me) came to mind immediately.

Either way though, I think this would take a lot of work and so it's pretty unlikely, as much as it would be a wonderful addition to the game. I already have too many characters (though far fewer than some) but would end up having to make several more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruisenior.6342 said:

Please Anet make minor races playeable!! Grawl/Hylek/Ogre/Quaggan/Skritt and dont forget others like Tengu and Koda!!

Once in game they dont require any kind of balance, and they can add alot to this game in terms of lore/locations, and the most important 'Fashion Wars'!!!

It's not even that it was already discussed on the forum many times, please use search function... It's that you already had a thread about it:

(and what do you know, there's even the kharmin post with 324678 links for you in there, you didn't even need to use search by yourself and yet still...)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

I really don't get it, why it seems so hard for Arena.net to add more races. GW2 is 10 years old and we still stick with the old 5 races. Arena.net isn't a small indie developer and never was. They get a huge amount of money because of that gem shop, and GW2 has a huge population, constantly. This game is doing well, so "We don't have enough money and capicity to realise new races." is just kitten. And if their team is really that small, then just hire some new team members. Just as simple. With their size, limited money isn't a thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Roman.6930 said:

I really don't get it, why it seems so hard for Arena.net to add more races. GW2 is 10 years old and we still stick with the old 5 races. Arena.net isn't a small indie developer and never was. They get a huge amount of money because of that gem shop, and GW2 has a huge population, constantly. This game is doing well, so "We don't have enough money and capicity to realise new races." is just kitten. And if their team is really that small, then just hire some new team members. Just as simple. With their size, limited money isn't a thing.

You understand that adding something to a game isn't just the case of "it depends how much money I currently have", but also about other things, like... actual gameplay value of the addition? So putting the whole decision/opinion about whether adding another playable race would be a high or low value (in terms of gameplay) aside, saying "they have money, so add another playable race" is not a solid valid reasoning at all.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

You understand that adding something to a game isn't just the case of "it depends how much money I currently have", but also about other things, like... actual gameplay value of the addition? So putting the whole decision/opinion about whether adding another playable race would be a high or low value (in terms of gameplay) aside, saying "they have money, so add another playable race" is not a solid valid reasoning at all.

In case of gameplay value... imo, adding new races, would bring back a lot of players. Tengu for example are very popular. They even have their own starting area in the game (Dominion of Winds) yet. So why do they resist adding them finally to the game? And adding something new and most wanted to the game is always a high value.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Roman.6930 said:

In case of gameplay value... imo, adding new races, would bring back a lot of players. Tengu for example are very popular. They even have their own starting area in the game (Dominion of Winds) yet. So why do they resist adding them finally to the game? And adding something new and most wanted to the game is always a high value.

There are a bunch of reasons why its not as high value as you think it would be but in short it boils down to how unimportant race actually is in the grand scheme of things in GW2 as a game as well as the sheer number of systems it would need to interop with render it no easy task to do so, resulting in an RoI that's not stellar for a team that's already, and admittedly,  starved for resource. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

A new profession as opposed to a new race would be a lot more hype and probably would be less work for ArenaNet. Then again, they’d probably be reluctant to do that when they can’t even balance the game properly as it currently stands. Throwing in a new profession and with different elite specs would likely just be a huge mess.

As for new race, I guess that would be mildly interesting, but it’s never going to happen. I don’t really care if it doesn’t though, as a new race is purely an aesthetic add-on and doesn’t introduce any sort of new mechanics or gameplay.

8 hours ago, Roman.6930 said:

It's a win win. Alot of people will pay like for a full expansion if not more.

I dont want to play only a sheet table that just relies on numbers. I want to immerse on the world they created walking through a game rich on lore/locations/races like i want to play the rpg part of the game.

Like i called before, i would be satisfied even if they only have availeable some armor sets like their racial t1 t2 t3 and some sets like luminescent carapace armor...

• Like 1
  • Confused 3