New playeable races

2 hours ago, Ruisenior.6342 said:

It's a win win. Alot of people will pay like for a full expansion if not more.

I dont want to play only a sheet table that just relies on numbers. I want to immerse on the world they created walking through a game rich on lore/locations/races like i want to play the rpg part of the game.

Like i called before, i would be satisfied even if they only have availeable some armor sets like their racial t1 t2 t3 and some sets like luminescent carapace armor...

Or even create an expansion where it has once again a Megalopolis like New Kaineng City  with a new faction , that doesn't know/wear  the gear of other cultures(of the lesser races...but calm down as the story progresses) (no need to redisn old gear around them)  and in their story line they follow a Commander NPC , but tragically dies and you step up as the "normal Commander"after 1-2 patches , or equip a Illusion Neckless and in their eyes you are the same Commander , so the party is not grieved by the loss of the commander and hinder the Mission (from your point the old dialogue/events doesnt make sense but you go along with it).

And then an Undead-rombot-dragon with a Japanese-highscholl girl holding a katana , swoops in  to avenge her father...

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

38 minutes ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Maybe Auri like in ffxiv.... I'd like that... But what would their personal story chapter be like and where would it start??? Hmmm

Every new race would start at the new expansion and had their own story there, the excuses about "but they would need to rewrite the whole story" will disapear if they gonna do that. Plus if we expecting not to get 9 different elite specs each expansion "not enough resources" excuse goes away aswell

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

• 2 weeks later...

Necroing this just to scream into the void about why I personally want a new race and because I play this game solo so I have no outlet otherwise.

It isn't for the lore or because I just want another race to play or any of that, but because the current 5 races to 9 classes scheme frustrates me to no end! It can't be divided up in any sensible way! One race per class? no. Two of each race assigned to one class each? no. One race each but divided evenly between the classes armor groups? nope. 

It's killing me that I have a character of each race right now and its:

light armor classes: 2

medium armor classes: 2

heavy: 1

Either make another class, so I can be mad at the uneven armor groupings but happy with having 2 of each race filling out every class, or make another race so I can have the last character fit into a more easily sorted scheme.

Edited by Groggyfrog.9754
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Groggyfrog.9754 said:

Necroing this just to scream into the void about why I personally want a new race and because I play this game solo so I have no outlet otherwise.

It isn't for the lore or because I just want another race to play or any of that, but because the current 5 races to 9 classes scheme frustrates me to no end! It can't be divided up in any sensible way! One race per class? no. Two of each race assigned to one class each? no. One race each but divided evenly between the classes armor groups? nope. 

Either make another class, so I can be mad at the uneven armor groupings but happy with having 2 of each race filling out every class, or make another race so I can have the last character fit into a more easily sorted scheme.

I think the preferred solution is that you buy additional character slots so you can fill out the armor classes to your liking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I think the preferred solution is that you buy additional character slots so you can fill out the armor classes to your liking.

I got plenty of slots just don't like the uneven races to classes thing. I could easily make every class but the way I would go about doing that would be two of each race, both genders, for each class and the fact that I would have one gender missing out of one race on that roster kills me so I don't do it. Listen I know it's unreasonable and senseless but it's just how my brain works. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Groggyfrog.9754 said:

Pick one you like the least for whatever reason, make 1 of that and 2 of the rest. Or pick 3 favorites and make 3m+3f of those for the total of 6 characters. Overally none of your "solutions" solve the issues you list here since you still need to pick and choose anyways and it's still uneven.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

18 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Pick one you like the least for whatever reason, make 1 of that and 2 of the rest. Or pick 3 favorites and make 3m+3f of those for the total of 6 characters. Overally none of your "solutions" solve the issues you list here since you still need to pick and choose anyways and it's still uneven.

One of my solutions does work, having one more race allows me to have 2 classes belonging to each of the three armor types. Sure I don't have access to 3 of the total 9 classes but I've played to 80 with every class and have tried almost every spec so I'd be happy having just the 6 characters.

This is all fluff anyways I don't actually expect any solutions to a nonsensical personal grief I just find it amusing that the 9 classes to 5 races don't really allow for an even spread of different characters. You either gotta have an uneven amount of classes to races or an uneven amount of races to classes. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Groggyfrog.9754 said:

having one more race allows me to have 2 classes belonging to each of the three armor types. Sure I don't have access to 3 of the total 9 classes

Yeah so... what I said:

20 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Overally none of your "solutions" solve the issues you list here since you still need to pick and choose anyways and it's still uneven.

You're excluding things from the final equasion either way, at this point make a tiger Charr and lion Charr and consider them 2 different races if that's somehow supposed to help 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 2/26/2023 at 1:12 PM, Roman.6930 said:

why it seems so hard for Arena.net to add more races.

Cost and that the value is fairly limited

On 2/26/2023 at 1:31 PM, Roman.6930 said:

In case of gameplay value... imo, adding new races, would bring back a lot of players.

That's like saying that a new outfit in the gem store would bring a lot of gameplay value.  A new race adds nothing but the visual appearance of your character.  Anything else can be achieved without adding a new race.

On 2/26/2023 at 9:47 PM, Ruisenior.6342 said:

i would be satisfied even if they only have availeable some armor sets like their racial t1 t2 t3 and some sets like luminescent carapace armor...

You would be but many others wouldn't.  This exact same argument was made for the additional of legendary armor for WvW and sPvp.  People made the argument that they didn't need a new skin and now others complain a few times a year about not having unique flashy skins.

On 2/27/2023 at 2:58 AM, soul.9651 said:

Every new race would start at the new expansion and had their own story there

This would not work as then players who want to play a particular race as their main when starting out on the game would essentially be locked out of all story content released prior to the addition of that race.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:55 AM, Groggyfrog.9754 said:

Why?  Race has no impact on class.  This limitation/issue is self-created.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

While I acknowledge that a new race is impractical and highly unlikely, I’d like one just for more appearance options. There are a few looks among each race I like, and once I make a few of that race I find myself gravitating back to very similar looks.

A new race would be a new medium to work with, so to speak.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Looks like a great opportunity to work on your creativity! 😄 

Thanks for your concern toward my personal development.

I’ve made my living as a professional artist for the last couple decades, so I have no shortage of opportunities to work on my creativity.

It’s just that there are a few options per race that I really like, and quite a few I don’t care for at all.

A new race with a full suite of appearance options would be more likely to give me something that appeals than a few more faces and hairstyles added to the current races.

Again, acknowledging that it’s highly unlikely a new race will ever be added.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

This would not work as then players who want to play a particular race as their main when starting out on the game would essentially be locked out of all story content released prior to the addition of that race.

Plus I can't even imagine a way to introduce a new playable race into the vanilla story without creating more plot holes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cyberzombie.7348 said:

Plus I can't even imagine a way to introduce a new playable race into the vanilla story without creating more plot holes. 

Help me understand how that would matter.

You can currently play a profession through vanilla story that isn't "discovered" until Heart of Thorns.

Race ceases to matter after Chapter 3. Past that there's just flavor dialogue here and there. A new three chapters created in a new zone that ends with "And we're sending you off to join one of the orders" would be a bunch of content for people to play through, and encourage new character slot, bag slot, and level 80 boost purchases.

What plot holes would be cataclysmic?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

14 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Help me understand how that would matter.

You can currently play a profession through vanilla story that isn't "discovered" until Heart of Thorns.

That runs back to mystical's point about requiring an expansion just to be playing a race that's locked out of previous stories. 

16 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

What plot holes would be cataclysmic?

Cataclysmic or not a plot hole is a plot hole and to prevent that, the entire story from personal to present would have to be hard retconned to make sure everything aligns right. 

What business would a race that's been established to be isolated by volition like largos or tengu have being part of fighting the frost legion? Or even the King Joko x Inquest plotline. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, cyberzombie.7348 said:

That runs back to mystical's point about requiring an expansion just to be playing a race that's locked out of previous stories. 

Cataclysmic or not a plot hole is a plot hole and to prevent that, the entire story from personal to present would have to be hard retconned to make sure everything aligns right. 

What business would a race that's been established to be isolated by volition like largos or tengu have being part of fighting the frost legion? Or even the King Joko x Inquest plotline. 

Well, this kind of heroic high fantasy is full of the lone character from a distant tribe that has to leave their insular culture for some reason and adventure. Just because the Largos and Tengu are culturally isolated, it doesn't mean that outlier characters can't exist. The fact that they break free from their culture and go adventuring is part of what makes them heroes.

It seems Largos would be uniquely suited for this kind of story. Let their early story be the establishing of a hunt that causes them to encounter and work with someone from the 5 races (we already have npcs like this that work with the commander) and then seque their hunt to include the elder dragons, which leads them to joining one of the orders.

And I guess I just don't see the trouble with plot holes. There's a discussion going on in the Lore forum right now about how ArenaNet has already repeatedly retconned stuff with the "unreliable narrator" handwave.

A new first three chapters for the new race would be new content for people to explore, ending in "Okay, go off and join one of these Tyrian orders, because they clearly can't seem to defeat the elder dragons by themselves."

After chapter three race mostly ceases to matter any way. There's flavor dialogue here and there, like Sylvari in HoT, but if the new race just follows the default dialogue, there'd be no indication anything was out of the ordinary.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Well, this kind of heroic high fantasy is full of the lone character from a distant tribe that has to leave their insular culture for some reason and adventure. Just because the Largos and Tengu are culturally isolated, it doesn't mean that outlier characters can't exist.

An

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

After chapter three race mostly ceases to matter any way. There's flavor dialogue here and there, like Sylvari in HoT, but if the new race just follows the default dialogue, there'd be no indication anything was out of the ordinary

Even with that case there's still outlining details that would need to be addressed. Like how did X character became Pact commander? Who sponsored them to be in an Order in the first place? Why has no other of my kind that broke from isolation joined?  How did I get to be Aurine's champion without being involved in nether the egg chase or her upbringing? 

There would also be timeline issues regarding dungeons especially Arah story. The debut of revenant already throws a wrench into that. 

p.s., I wouldn't knock the idea of a new race during beta/vanilla but now, there's too much established details and armour to where it would be a net negative on all facets.

Edited by cyberzombie.7348
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, cyberzombie.7348 said:

An

Even with that case there's still outlining details that would need to be addressed. Like how did X character became Pact commander? Who sponsored them to be in an Order in the first place? Why has no other of my kind that broke from isolation joined?  How did I get to be Aurine's champion without being involved in nether the egg chase or her upbringing? 

There would also be timeline issues regarding dungeons especially Arah story. The debut of revenant already throws a wrench into that. 

p.s., I wouldn't knock the idea of a new race during beta/vanilla but now, there's too much established details and armour to where it would be a net negative on all facets.

In my imagination, the new race gets a new story for the first three chapters. At which point they end up working with all the order mentors that every other character works with. That’s the on ramp, and answers all your other questions. The only problem is not having a member of Destiny’s Edge to connect with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

In my imagination, the new race gets a new story for the first three chapters. At which point they end up working with all the order mentors that every other character works with. That’s the on ramp, and answers all your other questions. The only problem is not having a member of Destiny’s Edge to connect with.

Technically it doesn't resolve any of the issues that I had brought up.  What happens if an expansion introduces an entirely new race that isn't represented in the game and that race is now playable?  Are we going to retcon everything and assume that everyone knew of them?  This is assuming that the expansion's story involving that race doesn't theoretically preclude them from existing prior to that expansion.  A lot of the other existing races wouldn't make sense with the personal story and probably many parts of the living story.

My one question to you is: What value does adding a new playable race bring to the game to justify the additional costs?  To add a little more to this, I'm referring to something that couldn't be achieved without the race itself being playable.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

My one question to you is: What value does adding a new playable race bring to the game to justify the additional costs?  

Oh, that's a different question. I don't think it will happen because it wouldn't justify the cost.

But I don't think it's because it would be impossible to reconcile the personal story.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2