I can't DPS

Hello everyone !

So I'm  new player, i started playing like a month ago and have maxed 3 characters (thief, guardian and revenant)

I'm starting to get involved in end game content such as raids, fractals etc...

My issue is I can't seem to DPS properly with any class, I'm definitely missing something but i can't tell what.

At first I obviously thought the problem was my rotation, well it was, but just slightly.

I've been watching videos on how to improve that, i trained for a couple hours and... here it is ! My rotation is kinda clean, but...

DPS is still missing. 

First exemple, the first rotation i looked into is this one : (Condi Willbender)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlHAIRYl4jA&t=123s

A pretty easy rotation to perform, the average DPS in the video is around 36k, and I somehow couldn't seem to hit more than 23k.

The second rotation : (Low Intensity staff daredevil)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPbY6u7JeK4

This one has to be the worst I experienced lol. I could not go over 5k DPS, this is insane.

And finally, the last one : (Greatsword Power Vindicator)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVcUUrW_8Kw&t=24s

Same here, average DPS is around 35k, and I barely reach 15k.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do get that these videos are probably outdated due to recent patches, buffs and nerfs.

BUT

The DPS gap is so huge that it's actually pushing me out of the game, it's kinda frustrating to the point I feel extremely useless in groups, I am not having fun. 

I really love the game though, and the fact that i can't figure out what's stopping me from doing decent DPS is really confusing me.

My gear is exotic, with the good stats on each character and the good runes too. I know gear plays an important role in the potential damage output, but 11 to 30k difference with what people do and what I do seems extreme lol.

I hope some of you guys could help me understand what's happening and thank you for reading ! This was my first post on a forum, excuse the bad syntax and simple english.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, first things first.  When you say "the good gear and the good runes" are you following the builds you're copying exactly (i.e. same stats, runes, sigils, and traits?)?  Having exotic instead of full ascended with infusions will lower your DPS some, but shouldn't be anything so dramatic as you're experiencing.  However, if you take different traits, stats, etc. that can have a massive impact on your performance.

Another question is are you using the same buffs?  Benchmark videos use full raid buffs.  If you don't use those and just go on your own power your DPS will be dramatically lower.  

The other part is rotation.  How close would you say you are to matching the rotation?  Are you canceling auto-attack chains?  Are you losing a lot of time trying to get the rotation perfect but queueing skills slower than you could be?

Generally speaking, it isn't easy to achieve the benchmarks you see from places like snowcrows.  Even experienced players have to practice that and not many match them 100% perfect because the guys who come up with these rotations are some of the best players in the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the gear, an exemple is, on my power vindicator, the stats on my gear are power precision and ferocity, as pointed out on builds, except they're all exotic, not ascended. Firework superior runes too.

Traits are also the same as on builds.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Golem has all conditions on and i have all boons on as well, if that's what you call full raid buffs.

I also tried with food too, hardly gaining 1k or 1.5k DPS.

For the rotation, well for the Low Intensity Daredevil i pointed out I match it at 100% of course lol, it's literally just spamming 2 buttons.

The one i'm mainly focusing on, because it's my main, is the vindicator. I would say i match the benchmark at 90%.

These are really easy rotations that do not require a lot of mechanics, i looked at this type of benchmark because i'm new and it can be hard for me to focus on what's happening on the boss and around + my rotation. But these are mad easy.

So I don't get what's wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Genie Cologue.1702 said:

For the gear, an exemple is, on my power vindicator, the stats on my gear are power precision and ferocity, as pointed out on builds, except they're all exotic, not ascended. Firework superior runes too.

Traits are also the same as on builds.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Golem has all conditions on and i have all boons on as well, if that's what you call full raid buffs.

I also tried with food too, hardly gaining 1k or 1.5k DPS.

For the rotation, well for the Low Intensity Daredevil i pointed out I match it at 100% of course lol, it's literally just spamming 2 buttons.

The one i'm mainly focusing on, because it's my main, is the vindicator. I would say i match the benchmark at 90%.

These are really easy rotations that do not require a lot of mechanics, i looked at this type of benchmark because i'm new and it can be hard for me to focus on what's happening on the boss and around + my rotation. But these are mad easy.

So I don't get what's wrong.

I don't know either based on that.  I mean firework rune isn't optimal damage, but it shouldn't account for that big of a difference.  I guess the only thing left to do would be if you can upload video of you performing the rotation.  Maybe we can spot what the problem is?

4 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I don't know either based on that.  I mean firework rune isn't optimal damage, but it shouldn't account for that big of a difference.  I guess the only thing left to do would be if you can upload video of you performing the rotation.  Maybe we can spot what the problem is?

Yeah i will do that, probably tomorrow it's being late here in France lol.

2 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Well you'll be missing banner buffs and spirit buffs.

Never heard of banner buffs ? I'm gonna check it out

3 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

For the second one you need to make sure you are always flanking(to the side or behind the target).

I actually was lol. That's what makes it so dramatic

Thanks for helping guys, i will upload a video of me doing the rotations later on. Have a good night/day

• Like 3

@Khisanth.2948 may have nailed part of your problem. Last Tuesday's patch axed a lot of what your videos may be relying on as baseline buffs, like banners and spirits.

Your Vindicator build is one I can comment on. Specifically, Assassin's Presence has been reworked. It used to be a 150-Ferocity buff to your party. Now it is a 3-s Fury pulse to your party every 10 s. On a golem, it amounts to losing 150 Ferocity. I'll be damned if it accounts for a 20 kdps difference though.

This being said, there are three things I want to point out. First, it's a game. Unless you are going straight to raids and high-level fractals, one does not need that 20k+ dps to enjoy the game and pull their weight. (I cannot comment on sPvP or WvW.) Second, cut yourself some slack as a new player. These guys pumping out YouTube videos are pros with countless hours of practice at this game. Do you expect yourself to be even close to that good right off the starting block? Third, if dps is so frustrating, have you considered support roles you would enjoy? If you can learn a quickness or alacrity role reasonably well, you'll be soooo popular!

• Like 1

Three thoughts loosely aligned with what's been said already,

1) sounds like (except for thief) you already have some decent dps numbers. A lot of players will go years without ever breaching 20k, and I believe most end game content (except challenge modes) would be clearable with this, though I stand to be corrected on that.

2) However, probably equally important is learning to do that dps in actual encounters. Unfortunately golem is ideal, and dps drops off quite a bit in encounter situations. It sounds like you are already participating in some, but would definitely recommend you track your dps in encounters with something like arcdps as well to make sure it's on an upward curve.

3) Lastly, I haven't tested it myself but I understand you can load your arcdps logs onto the gw2 wingman website for comparison to the meta rotation of a build. I don't have the details pf how to do this (this is deep into expert player level territory), but you should be able to figure this out between youtube and the gw2 wingman website. That should give you an idea if your rotation is right, fast enough, and that you aren't interrupting your auto attack chains.

Edited by SlipLihte.1307
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Those benchmarks aren't for raid damage, they're just benchmarks. If you're doing 15k-20k or higher in real-world situations then you're good and already pulling the weight of 3-4 players. The average DPS output for PUGs is 5k in instanced content, and 1-2k in open-world because of random builds.

Yes, someone might get mad at you if its a super experienced group, but in most groups no one will even notice or complain so long as you're performing the mechanics of the encounter properly. Our last raid was 50k over the required DPS needed to clear the encounter, with mostly PUGs.

For T4  Fractals and Strike Missions (except Challenge Mode) especially even one player doing 30k+ can pretty much solo the bosses because of powercreep.

That said, if you're still struggling then maybe the DPS role isn't for you, You may want to become a support, then you don't have to worry about your DPS anymore, only boosting the damage of others. All the classes you discussed playing are very good at it.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

As other stated, double check your gear, runes, sigils, etc.
You can check out Snowcrows if your interested in raids (Guild Wars 2 Builds | Snow Crows) or Discretize (Builds Overview - GW2 | Discretize [dT]) if you're mainly interested in Fractals. Many builds can be played in either mode.

Next is to check that you've set up the training golem for benchmarking properly. You need to give yourself  boons and the golem the correct conditions. You said you did this, but just in case, maybe have a peak at Golem Setup | Guild Wars 2 Getting Started | Snow Crows but note that the game no longer has profession-specific boons. This will also probably shave off 3k or so dps if looking at bench numbers before the most recent patch. Also take note of your hitbox size setting since some benches are done with different sized settings.

If your rotation looks clean (I'm guessing you're looking at ArcDPS logs?) then the issue likely lies in your gear, build, or the golem setup.

Edit: Just to add, you can do end-game content just fine if you're benching about 20k - 25k dps and you dps role. PUGs won't really expect anything more than this. So don't get bummed our burnt out, just work on it as you go since you'll still be "pulling your weight" with benchmarking that dps. 

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 1

One additional thought. You really want to know how you compare to the rest of the crowd in terms of dps? Install ARCdps and join a commander's bounty train in PoF or S4 maps. There doubtless will be some on those nights where it is a daily. ARCdps will show you where your stand in the relation to the squad.

P. S.: Quand on se regarde, on se désole; quand on se compare, on se console.

Edited by Harfang.1507
  • Like 1