Mesmer thoughts and prayers wishlist

akipappi.3917

What hopes and dreams do you have about Mesmer ? Theres no reason to say something doesn't work since we are not coding or in control of balance so just add some wishes and hope Anet can see what Mesmer players like. Also there is no balance anyway so you know. 

Glamours

We need more Glamours and we need Glamour traits. I think Anet should update all cores by adding new skills in general, like a glamour heal. And replace Time Warp with something that works. Could it give Alac too if it has to stay.

- Trait: Glamours pulse regen or healing maybe both. Maybe give swiftness. Maybe random condis and boons.

- Added butterflies to Glamour effects

- Trait: Create clones of people who enter. These do not count towards clone count and cannot be shattered.

- Trait: Glamours pulse stealth

Manipulation

Something else than Superspeed on cast... Never understood the point. Shouldn't I be encouraged to play the game, not run around in PvP. idk I'm getting tired of typing and using capital letters. 

- Trait: Manipulations create Clones of affected targets. These do not count towards your clone count and cannot be shattered.

Mantra

Can't we just back old Mantras lol. 

- Targeting an ally causes the effect to trigger on them. 

Staff

- Feels neglected apart from the weird Alacrity buff. I actually hate how it doesn't apply random condis anymore.

- Staff 2 bothers me because it's clone generation but it forces a blink. Would it be possible to change it, off the top of my head make it spawn a clone next to you and turn it into a flip skill that gives you a second or two to blink backwards, I would prefer you to be able to choose location though.

- Staff 4, Chaos Armor. Could Mesmer also detonate Auras, this skill is kind of boring. 

- Staff 5. Chaos Storm just feels really sad not going to lie. Could it at least pulse Daze in PvE so I could try to chain Chaotic Interruption it would be nice. 

Interrupt

Making it feel better, some kind of update. Maybe cast bars in PvE or something.

Phantasms

They just feel kind of boring, throw it out and forget. I preferred them when they lasted until dying or shatter. Hoping there would be a middle ground at least where they exist for 16 seconds and perform attacks during that time. I don't need a whole Phantasms rework but would like an option where they can be used like Hexes in GW1, damage over a longer duration. Since there is no hex removal killing the phantasms could fill that.

Clones

- Gameplay options for no clones or the very least Virtuoso being able to hide floating daggers.

- Trait / utility / elite that increases max clone count. If it causes balance problems just cap the damage to max 3 clones.

Chronomancer

- Why can't Continuum Split become an utility skill or give Chrono Blade Renewal. Not fair to take away Distortion.

- Making Weapon 5 skill apply Alacrity or Quickness instead of only Shield 5 so other weapons don't feel subpar in boon application. To be honest I've always hated skills being tied to a weapon.

- Wells. They are currently ridiculous. I saw someone suggest them to be flip skills. I think 3 seconds is too low duration for it though but it's better than remove 2 boons. I don't like Alac on cast. Alac on ending would fit the fantasy better. I don't like the gameplay of smashing Wells down since they have timing based effects but Anet made them Alacrity generators.

Scuffed suggestions since I don't really like Chrono that much because of Continuum Split.

1. Wells big hit comes on first tick

2. Just make Chrono pulse Alacrity 💀

3. Shield 4 gives Alac again

4. Shatters giving AoE Alac like Quickness trait 

5. Wells give Alac on cast but this also happens around the Mesmer, people can only get Alac from either the Well or Mesmer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, akipappi.3917 said:

What hopes and dreams do you have about Mesmer ? Theres no reason to say something doesn't work since we are not coding or in control of balance so just add some wishes and hope Anet can see what Mesmer players like. Also there is no balance anyway so you know. 

Glamours

We need more Glamours and we need Glamour traits. I think Anet should update all cores by adding new skills in general, like a glamour heal. And replace Time Warp with something that works. Could it give Alac too if it has to stay.

- Trait: Glamours pulse regen or healing maybe both. Maybe give swiftness. Maybe random condis and boons.

- Added butterflies to Glamour effects

- Trait: Create clones of people who enter. These do not count towards clone count and cannot be shattered.

- Trait: Glamours pulse stealth

Manipulation

Something else than Superspeed on cast... Never understood the point. Shouldn't I be encouraged to play the game, not run around in PvP. idk I'm getting tired of typing and using capital letters. 

- Trait: Manipulations create Clones of affected targets. These do not count towards your clone count and cannot be shattered.

Mantra

Can't we just back old Mantras lol. 

- Targeting an ally causes the effect to trigger on them. 

Staff

- Feels neglected apart from the weird Alacrity buff. I actually hate how it doesn't apply random condis anymore.

- Staff 2 bothers me because it's clone generation but it forces a blink. Would it be possible to change it, off the top of my head make it spawn a clone next to you and turn it into a flip skill that gives you a second or two to blink backwards, I would prefer you to be able to choose location though.

- Staff 4, Chaos Armor. Could Mesmer also detonate Auras, this skill is kind of boring. 

- Staff 5. Chaos Storm just feels really sad not going to lie. Could it at least pulse Daze in PvE so I could try to chain Chaotic Interruption it would be nice. 

Interrupt

Making it feel better, some kind of update. Maybe cast bars in PvE or something.

Phantasms

They just feel kind of boring, throw it out and forget. I preferred them when they lasted until dying or shatter. Hoping there would be a middle ground at least where they exist for 16 seconds and perform attacks during that time. I don't need a whole Phantasms rework but would like an option where they can be used like Hexes in GW1, damage over a longer duration. Since there is no hex removal killing the phantasms could fill that.

Clones

- Gameplay options for no clones or the very least Virtuoso being able to hide floating daggers.

- Trait / utility / elite that increases max clone count. If it causes balance problems just cap the damage to max 3 clones.

Chronomancer

- Why can't Continuum Split become an utility skill or give Chrono Blade Renewal. Not fair to take away Distortion.

- Making Weapon 5 skill apply Alacrity or Quickness instead of only Shield 5 so other weapons don't feel subpar in boon application. To be honest I've always hated skills being tied to a weapon.

- Wells. They are currently ridiculous. I saw someone suggest them to be flip skills. I think 3 seconds is too low duration for it though but it's better than remove 2 boons. I don't like Alac on cast. Alac on ending would fit the fantasy better. I don't like the gameplay of smashing Wells down since they have timing based effects but Anet made them Alacrity generators.

Scuffed suggestions since I don't really like Chrono that much because of Continuum Split.

1. Wells big hit comes on first tick

2. Just make Chrono pulse Alacrity 💀

3. Shield 4 gives Alac again

4. Shatters giving AoE Alac like Quickness trait 

5. Wells give Alac on cast but this also happens around the Mesmer, people can only get Alac from either the Well or Mesmer.

Heyyy! I definitely hear where you're coming from and I too hope we get some better and unique skills. I too loved glamor skills, though I think the idea about creating Clones of enemies would be hard for them to do or atleast they'd make some excuse not to do it. I still like the idea though but not sure if it would fit and would probably create too much unnecessary subjects on the field for the sake of "deception" which doesn't really work against players nowadays days haha.

For a NEW Glamour heal, I took some inspiration from when Vampires disperse into a swarm of bats and the Druids skills Ancestral Grace. Basically it would work similar to Ancestral Grace, however, you disperse into a swarm of butterflies, heal for a small amount and travel to the targeted location,  then after a brief delay aka "when your body reforms from the butterflies haha" you heal for a large amount and cleanse a condition. It sounds like a simple heal yes but with this it gives an extra "blink" in a sense and if there was a glamour trait, it can be upgraded by just a pinch.

For a glamour trait, I don't think we really need one, however, to create one just for fun. I would probably have it so that glamour skills have improved effects.

As examples; Null Field can remove additional boons or have its radius increased. Feedback can have its duration increased. Time Warp can also inflict chill and perhaps increase the duration too. Portal can  grant a random boon to allies who use it and then for the "new glamour heal" it can have an increase heal or steal a boon from enemies at the targeted location.

The Manipulation trait works pretty good to me. Remember the superspeed is there to help create distance between us and the enemy when fighting at range, so I personally wouldn't change that.
Mantras I would give them a final charge that either Is a greatly increased version of what the said Mantra is. So mantra of pains final charge can deal increased damage or critical damage. Mantra of distraction can have a longer daze  etc...

Staff I agree with you on most parts. Staff 2 is fine and is just a typical emergency create some distance between me and the enemy button. Staff 3 I think they should've had the Clones deal increased damage based on the amount of conditions on the enemy 🤷‍♂️. Chaos Armor I've been heavily agreeing that it needs the transmute treatment elementalist have. Chaos Storm, if it's gonna have a long cool down, I'd prefer if it inflicted more conditions often during its duration.
Good post and suggestions though! 👍 

Edited by Tseison.4659

2 hours ago, akipappi.3917 said:

I'd love to see Chaos Storm work more like Specter Wells, which give condis/boons that are missing, then apply extra stacks of a specific one once someone's got all the ones off the list. Could instantly turn it into an effective Might generator/source of Poison. 

I think my biggest wish for core Mesmer is another core melee weapon -- probably Mace. I love Sword and all, but it's the only dedicated melee option outside of Mirage Axe because we've got a habit of turning anything sharp and stabby into a 1200 ranged weapon. With Duelling anything is a condi damage weapon, but I'd like to see mainhand Mace that deals Confusion on the auto and has a Blast finisher -- it'd be nice to be able to give allies Chaos Aura by blasting ethereal fields.

57 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I simply want an option to disable the floating daggers out of combat (or at least when my weapons are sheathed).

I liked how Virtuoso felt in the first beta a lot, but this permanent visual disgust completely ruined it for me.

I don't care about the floating daggers design but it's really stupid how mesmer is the only kittening profession on game who always have the resources avaliable for enemies to see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 10:57 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

I simply want an option to disable the floating daggers out of combat (or at least when my weapons are sheathed).

I liked how Virtuoso felt in the first beta a lot, but this permanent visual disgust completely ruined it for me.

It does weird me out in a game that does so much well visually/cosmetics/dye channels...

That they have these complete eyesores like the Virt Blades or Jade Mechs, etc. Whomever is advising them on those few decisions should be advised otherwises 😂

But to OP, there's a lot of things that I'd like to see cleaned up (not superspeed, I like my movement bursts with manips 😂) but mostly with weapons as I find main hands to be lackluster. I'd like there to be more non bleed build options, and definitely more things that make it feel like a Mesmer. As I agree that Thief feels more Mesmer at times in the trickery aspect. Just less of what they did recently and more towards fun/establishing class identity. 

I personally would like to see Power Chrono much more viable. Sword 2 skill needs buff a little. 

Alac mirage's source should be moved from staff ambush to useless gm trait like Dune Cloak. With this change, we can provide alac underwater.

Also axe mirage's top dps traitline should be illusions/dueling/mirage, not defensive traitline like Chaos. So illusions trait needs rework or buff a little. 

Note: I would be appreciated if Chaos Vortex bug gets fixed. It is not working properly on targets who are on higher level like standing targets on wall in WvW combat. (Staff1 is working but not ambush) 

Note2: Axe ambush bug needs to be fixed too. There is post in bugs topic for years. 

• Confused 1

My items on the wishlist are as followed (PvP focused):

• Give back AoE Bountiful Disillusionment.
    • Just remove the stability if you think it's too strong...
  • Make Restorative Illusions into the Adept Minor in Inspiration and scale its healing down...
    • In PvP you can't pick the other options due to how awful/uneven the playing field is. When you play Inspiration in PvP you're playing it for Blurred Inscriptions and this trait.
    • The replacement trait for it can just turn Restorative Illusions into an AoE around the Mesmer on shatter. (Opening up support potential).
  • Give Chronomancer Regeneration access.
    • You dangled the treat in front of us with Tides of Time giving AoE boons and gave it AoE Swiftness as a tease. Just change it to Regeneration...
  • Put Deceptive Evasion in the Master tier in Dueling.
    • Just remove Evasive Mirror. It wasn't healthy in PvP when it was good and doesn't see much play outside of that.
  • Increase Vigor duration on Nomad's Endurance and split Critical Infusion between elite specs.
    • You've shown it's possible between Firebrand and Scourge...
  • Speed of Sand's movement speed increase should be baseline and make it so Mirage's Cloak grants Swiftness when it ends.
    • Mirage could use the boost to mobility and hogging up minors with weak traits isn't fun.
  • Remove Alacrity from Mirage.
    • You heavily balanced Chronomancer's Cooldowns around CS and Alacrity, but Mirage gets away with it? Mirage doesn't need the boon anyway. Let Chronomancer specialize in boons. You could make it grant Quickness instead.
  • Remove Dune Cloak or make it so ambushes steal boons.
    • Make it function similarly to Rending Shade on Thief so it fairly competes with IH and Elusive Mind.
  • Halve CS Duration and Reduce Cooldown.
    • We don't typically use full duration of CS in PvP and use it to quickly double cast skills normally. Giving us such a high duration and high cool down kinda makes it feel wasted most of the time.

All I could come up with right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Things i would like to see changed:

• Greatsword 3 becomes a blast finisher
    • It looks like a blast finisher, feels like a blast finisher and even smells like a blast finisher. More importantly it gives some cool combo's with chrono wells. Group wide chaos armor as a support option even has a mesmer flair to it.
    • Plus mesmer has only one blast finisher in their entire toolkit that happens 3 seconds after casting the skill. The only time you will combo with the torch 4 skill is by accident.
  • Sword 2 Gives distortion instead of blur
    • Chrono has terrible access to distortion and this would give it a way to actually use the "inspiring distortion" minor trait.
    • Or change this trait to also trigger on blur
  • Give chrono some access to regen. Don't really care if it is on shield, or if the "all's well that ends well" trait pulses it or some other solution.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would like to see interrupt builds become a thing again. Secondary to that, I want the old behavior of Mantra of Distraction restored, where you could charge it if you were out of ammo, and when you completed the charge, you would reduce the cooldown of Diversion by 15 or so seconds.

Interrupt builds were fun, and felt really good to pull off, particularly with the obnoxious amount of stability and aegis in the meta. Coming back to GW2, I was disappointed to see that a lot of the talents, traits, and skills that made mesmer interrupt possible have been changed for the worse. They weren't even meta builds when I started my extended break, so I'm not sure why such drastic changes would have been undertaken to nerf them.

I'd like to see mesmers get a real stealth or a real clone build. I mean, sure we have clones, which are essentially just vehicles for shatters. I'd like to see mesmers get tools that enable them to trick opponents into attacking clones, and then punish opponents for doing so. Something to make the class feel as tricky as the lore makes it out to be. As for stealth, we have tools for it, and they're great. I would like to see us get more.

Mesmers are pretty fun still. Though I will admit to being disheartened upon first reading about the Virtuoso not having clones. It felt like anet was giving up on trying to make the core concept of the class work. It would be like releasing a thief without initiative, a ranger without pets, etc.

• Like 3

WIsh List:

Make Core Mesmer good again so Mesmer has a reliable class to use, Mirage and Chrono both have major issues with playability and balance so trying to balance by tune down core has only made the entire class weak. If Core was viable: acceptable dps, compedative condi and power pvp/wvw builds, utility enough for fractals, raids, etc Mesmers would have a solid base from which to use.

THEN balance Mirage ambush/MC around THAT damage output WITH 2 dodges and Balance Chrono dps and phant generation and maybe boon support abilities to give it a viable role that doesnt eliminate the other 2s purpose.

Done

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Like 5

From a PvP / WvW point of view

- Chaotic interruption should finally be made acceptable again. What we have now is a place holder and doesn’t really function. And the random factor on it is just terrible. It needs definitely a rework.

- Delayed reactions should be buffed. 1,5s of slow on a daze means 0,5s effective slow time. That’s not acceptable. 

- Danger time should be looked at. After the nerf it feels more like a minor trait and not a major trait. It just isn’t rewarding to take it and the duration is so low you feel in such a hurry to dish out at least one skill in this time that you always combine it with gs wombo combo and mantra of distraction. And if danger time really needs to be bound to slow then chrono has in general way to clunky possibility’s to apply slow without delayed reactions combined with mantra of distraction. It definitely needs another effect on activation and a longer duration.

- Weapon skills in general should be buffed. It’s a huge problem that specific weapons are only for specific alignments. Staff shouldn’t be taken only from condi builds. Scepter shouldn’t be taken only from condi builds. These days the choices are to one dimensional. Number changes for the beginning are the least and tbh those skills just hit like a wett noodle on power builds.

Lot of Phantasms need urgently buffs.

- Staff 3 received 2x 50% nerfs, the summoning of 3x chaos Stroms was deleted and the effect to deal more damage with every condition on the enemy was deleted. It lost every identity and is only a clone spawner now.
- When you take focus you have to „trade“ a extremely bad phantasm for a pull. It feels like a punishment to take focus because of this. The phantasm is in this case mostly or only used to spawn a clone. 

- Same Case with Torch 5. It feels so random and is terrible for power builds in this state even with the daze. More often is the use of it to just spawn a clone then due to its actual effect. 

- Sword 5 is okeyish beside the pathing problem. But it could be a nice touch to have a port instead of a leap or a buff to sword 4 to compensate the relatively underwhelming effect of sword 5. Sword offhand is just still to underwhelming outside of PvE.

- Chaos armor needs some love and with this also chaotic transference. It is such a bad design to place this trait on the same row as chaotic potency, while staff is the only weapon that actually HAS chaos armor as weapon skill.

- And it is such a bad design to add condition damage on both skills, chaotic transference and chaotic potency. It deletes every diversity in chaos and pushes power builds further into specific trait lines. This really has to be changed again. Due to the design of staff with staff 4, chaos armor enhancements and staff skill enhancements have to be on the same trait or different rows AND need to provide utility not power or condition damage in my opinion. 

- If ANet would work on the combo finishers in general, chrono could get a whole new depth in terms of build diversity and could make some interesting bruiser builds with staff sword shield or pistol, wells and interrupt traits. Plus it could finally bring back the combo with pistol and focus, would buff indirectly staff 4 and gave wells another purpose then just being a alacrity applier on use.

- The skills in general need urgently more depth. After all those years ANet took out to many effects and pushed weapons, traits and skills to only one specific purpose. Be it due to traits that no longer provide effects to specific skills or due to the skills itself being nerfed. You do not have to combine smartly traits so that A fits to C instead of B because there is no trait or skill that supports this decision. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I made another post specifically about heal mesmer where Ellon.4316 also chimed in with some awesome ideas.

Don't wanna retype that whole post, so will just link, but wanted to post here what I think is the most compelling part of that brainstorm.

Remove Signet of Inspiration. Replace it with some other low CD signet that is similarly kinda meh and mostly about  Blurred Inscriptions synergy. Then...

ADD a new elite skill, Mantra of Inspiration to extend the duration of boons on allies by even 5s per cast.

As I recall Mesmer (Mirage then chrono) got nerfed in pvp/wvw to make it more fun and cut down on bots way back in 2019. You know to improve the quality of gameplay in pvp/wvw to make it more skilled based.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

🤡