Tombs of Knowledge

1 hour ago, medivh.4725 said:

6 stacks now, and not making any new toons. What do I do with them?

Can I make them into something? Is it safe to discard??

I do keep one character slot open for a weekly key farmer, if that is something you would consider. I rue the day where I mass converted my Tomes of Knowledge into Spirit Shards I already had too many of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your options are basically to convert them into spirit shards, use them for tempoary characters like key runners or delete them.

Converting them is a good choice if you need more spirit shards or just want them out your bank/inventory without deleting them, but may not be particularly useful if you're not using the spirit shards. Using them for key runners and other tempoary characters can be useful but would take a long time to clear them. Deleting them is the quickest and easiest but also achieves absolutely nothing except opening up 6 inventory/bank slots.

• Like 1

I would invest in a character slot and start doing key running. Being able to take a character to lv80 means you can not only get the Personal Story keys at 10, 40 and 60, but also the LWS2 and HoT keys.

You'd be able to do this for about five months (once per week) before running out.

If you're not already an alt-aholic, then after you're done key running, use the character in PvP (no gearing required) for the rest of the week so you can try out different builds and classes.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 5

"Tombs of Knowledge" sounds like an excellent in-house name for those confusing library rooms at the Durmand Priory, so thank you for that.

People above have already given some good uses for Tomes of Knowledge, but the other thing I do with them is donate them to guilds who are building up their halls, since they're required for a few upgrades.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I just discard them whenever I get to a full stack.

They are worth less than literal garbage.

Converting them to spririt shards can be done very fast and easily by visiting Miyani or any of the attendants. They can be very profitable for promoting some items in the Mystic Forge. So why not take a minute to convert them, which goes directly to your wallet, and save them for a rainy day when you really need the higher tier mats or to raise some needed gold?

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Converting them to spririt shards can be done very fast and easily by visiting Miyani or any of the attendants. They can be very profitable for promoting some items in the Mystic Forge. So why not take a minute to convert them, which goes directly to your wallet, and save them for a rainy day when you really need the higher tier mats or to raise some needed gold?

Yet all on their own, Spirit shards do nothing. I do not want to spend other things to get rid of my tomes.

Visiting Miyani takes more effort than typing the name of a stack to discard them.

That aside, I already have more Spirit Shards than I'd ever need in my life.

Thus, discarding them in full stacks is the most effective thing for me to do with them.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Yet all on their own, Spirit shards do nothing. I do not want to spend other things to get rid of my tomes.

Visiting Miyani takes more effort than typing the name of a stack to discard them.

That aside, I already have more Spirit Shards than I'd ever need in my life.

Thus, discarding them in full stacks is the most effective thing for me to do with them.

To each their own, I guess. I have more shards than I need as well. However, since I visit either Mistlock or 1k Sea daily to craft the gated items, it does not take any time at all to just visit the attendants. Besides, you can buy the large bags in bulk without retrieving the tomes from your bank and open them all in one go. So, it literally takes hardly any time at all to dispose of multiple stacks of them. Or just do it when there's a mystic forge daily.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2

You can also

22 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

To each their own, I guess. I have more shards than I need as well. However, since I visit either Mistlock or 1k Sea daily to craft the gated items, it does not take any time at all to just visit the attendants. Besides, you can buy the large bags in bulk without retrieving the tomes from your bank and open them all in one go. So, it literally takes hardly any time at all to dispose of multiple stacks of them. Or just do it when there's a mystic forge daily.

There is also the attendant at the mystic forge in WvW and in Arborstone.  You have to visit her every once in a while to convert the Writs of Experience to Tomes of Knowledge anyway.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 7:58 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Or bury them?  :classic_tongue:

It saves space in your bank! 😅

On 7/6/2022 at 3:44 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

I just discard them whenever I get to a full stack.

Why not get the free Spirit Shards instead? :classic_blink:

On 7/5/2022 at 7:08 PM, medivh.4725 said:

What do I do with them?

Convert the Tomes* of Knowledge into Spirit Shards, which is quickly done these days via the vendor. You can then buy Spirit Banners with them, for instance, if you don't need any more ascended gear.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

41 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Why not get the free Spirit Shards instead?

Because I have literally no need to do that. I already have over 12k of them and do nothing with them, aside from occasionally buying an Anthology of Heroes.

6 minutes ago, Sarius.9285 said:

Spirit shards aren't worthless tbh

To me, they are.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Because I have literally no need to do that. I already have over 12k of them and do nothing with them, aside from occasionally buying an Anthology of Heroes.

To me, they are.

Fair enough if you have no use for them but why argue against converting to shards? 12k is not much if someone is intending to craft to make gold.

In regards to the OP, he/she is looking for answer on what can be done with them. They are extremely useful for spirit banners, and mats & item promotions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It saves space in your bank! 😅

Why not get the free Spirit Shards instead? :classic_blink:

Convert the Tomes* of Knowledge into Spirit Shards, which is quickly done these days via the vendor. You can then buy Spirit Banners with them, for instance, if you don't need any more ascended gear.

Whooosh! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Fair enough if you have no use for them but why argue against converting to shards? 12k is not much if someone is intending to craft to make gold.

In regards to the OP, he/she is looking for answer on what can be done with them. They are extremely useful for spirit banners, and mats & item promotions.

If others want to use them for things, it's fine. I'm not arguing against that.

I simply don't want to do that and people seemingly misinterpreted my comments as me not knowing what to do with Tomes of Knowledge.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

If others want to use them for things, it's fine. I'm not arguing against that.I simply don't want to do that and people seemingly misinterpreted my comments as me not knowing what to do with Tomes of Knowledge.

Ok, although you shouldn't be surprised by the perceptions when your initial comments to the OP's query has no context - simply a statement that they have no value.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

If others want to use them for things, it's fine. I'm not arguing against that.

I simply don't want to do that and people seemingly misinterpreted my comments as me not knowing what to do with Tomes of Knowledge.

As Silent stated, that wasn't clear from your OP. People assumed you didn't know, because why make this thread if you did?

A second idea for Tomes of Knowledge would be to use them on upgrading your guild hall:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tome_of_Knowledge#Used_in

Other than that (buying things with Spirit Shards for personal use or profit, and upgrading the guild hall) and leveling new characters, Tomes of Knowledge serve no purpose.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

As Silent stated, that wasn't clear from your OP. People assumed you didn't know, because why make this thread if you did?

I'm not even the OP. The OP is medivh.4725.

10 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

Ok, although you shouldn't be surprised by the perceptions when your initial comments to the OP's query has no context - simply a statement that they have no value.

In Hindsight, I agree should have added that I mean the direct monetary vendor value, which exists for grey trash items, but not for the Tomes.

But maybe this whole misunderstanding led to the OP have a better insight on what he/she wants to do with the Tomes. If so, that's still a win in my opinion.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1