Got my first ever ascended weapon today, but I don't know how to best upgrade it for the kind of content I like to do ...

alazar.1907

Hello everyone, 

Today I was able to get my first ever ascended weapon, the Caladbolg greatsword. The weapon comes with two unused upgrade slots, and two infusion slots. I am unsure how to best proceed here given how I play the game. 

The primary content I do is story/map completion, zone bosses, and low-level fractals/dungeons. I have no real interest in high end group content PvE wise but do eventually want to jump into WvW for my end game (perhaps in a few months). For now, my Warrior has exotics, berserkers gear along with vamp runes and an MMR Double axe + GS build (for survivability since I mostly play solo). 

Given my playstyle, are there any stats + runes you would suggest I upgrade the greatsword with for survivability and solo play?  The outgoing GS exotic has a superior sigil of bloodlust and one of accuracy. Should I just use that? 

Also, what are infusion slots, and can I upgrade those now as well, or is that too expensive/end game related? 

• Like 1

If you can survive most encounters with what you have now as solo, you probably want to start with Sigil of Force and Accuracy on your primary weapon set. The second weapon set, I would choose Force and Bloodlust. Killing something while using the Bloodlust equipped weapon allows you to get a buff that gives 10 power, up to a stack of 25. If you die, those stacks disappear. Also if you go underwater they disappear if you don't also have a bloodlust sigil on an water weapon. Note that on many direct DPS power builds, 250 power is on average about a 5-7% DPS increase. 

You can ignore infusion slots unless you want to do Fractals or want to maximize Power stat but it costs some BIG coin to do that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 2

Post your current build and stats and I can give you some pointers.

Regardless, it it is a greatsword then sigils like Force, Impact, Intelligence, Accuracy, Battle, Strength, Hydromancy, Endurance, or Cleansing would be best depending on the game mode and build.

If you do FotM then use base (+9) agony infusions. If you don't then grab the power or precision infusions from WvW for it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2022 at 9:34 AM, alazar.1907 said:

Hello everyone, 

Today I was able to get my first ever ascended weapon, the Caladbolg greatsword. The weapon comes with two unused upgrade slots, and two infusion slots. I am unsure how to best proceed here given how I play the game. 

The primary content I do is story/map completion, zone bosses, and low-level fractals/dungeons. I have no real interest in high end group content PvE wise but do eventually want to jump into WvW for my end game (perhaps in a few months). For now, my Warrior has exotics, berserkers gear along with vamp runes and an MMR Double axe + GS build (for survivability since I mostly play solo). 

Given my playstyle, are there any stats + runes you would suggest I upgrade the greatsword with for survivability and solo play?  The outgoing GS exotic has a superior sigil of bloodlust and one of accuracy. Should I just use that? 

Also, what are infusion slots, and can I upgrade those now as well, or is that too expensive/end game related? 

for minimum spending, id say you're good with that sigil of accuracy and sigil of bloodlust. 🙂

but when you expand your game you will want to take a look at the previously suggested.

just an additional tip from an old blood legion war dog, err.. cat.., whatever i am.. 🤣

*if you're into fighting, wvw as you mentioned, don't sleep on superior sigil of doom, negating some of that healing can be the world between winning and losing, specially now with warrior's power damage output at an all time low, sometimes you time it with your burst rotation, sometimes you just get lucky. also is dirt cheap.

*superior sigil of hydromancy and leeching can be additional punch to your burst when you're on top of someone, or.. when they're on top of you.

superior sigil of hydromancy crits for around 2k-3k on a squish and superior sigil of leeching hits for a flat 1k regardless of armor and heals you up for the same amount.

hydromancy is also good for eating up an aegis or blind, for landing an important hit on swap. an example would be like to guarantee a burst skill to proc a trait. lots of applications.

also they're really good together, try to have them on the same weapon set and again they are dirt cheap.

*lastly superior sigil of cleansing is mandatory these days with all the condi vomit you'll be running into in wvw, it will save your life.

just the top of my list and why.

play how you want. best of luck to you.

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

If you're not doing regular Fractals, you can pretty much ignore infusion slots. The ones that give stat bonuses are so low as to be irrelevant in general OW play.

Lan's advice is good regarding sigils. I would say run at least one that triggers on weapon swap, because Greatsword is too clumsy to rely on 100% of the time.

The list of sigils that have an effect on weapon swap can be found here:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigil#On_weapon_swap

Also, if you've got the stamina for it, repeating the Caladbolg quest is a great way to get a few extra ascended weapons too, including sword, dagger, shield and scepter. You could do it the other way, but simply swapping your existing Caladbolg for a different form leaves you with only one weapon. Doing it the long way leaves you with 5 different ascended weapons, all of which are great skins, especially for Sylvari characters.