Is it worth to do Gourmet Training just to get ascended food?

Being able to craft ascended food is nice, but it's also an incredible faff.

You have to have at least one farm plot, but having them all makes it a lot quicker.

However, unlike normal seed packs, ascended seed packs are one-time packs, meaning that you have to replant all of your ascended seeds every day, one by one.

And the seed packs are quite expensive to craft in the first place, requiring agents from a vendor, and trashing tons of existing food to get nutrients using the Portable Composter.

But it's not just the ability to craft Ascended food you get out of the quest line. You also get a cooking station in your home instance that doubles up as a bank. That's probably the most useful thing from doing the quest.

I don't regret doing it, as the quest was fun and the cooking station is great (even though it's only for my chef character.)

But I rarely, if ever make ascended food any more.

I believe you can also get ascended food from doing raids. Never having raided in GW2 myself, I can't be sure that's true, so maybe someone else can confirm?

• Like 1

If you like to have all the recipes, or if you like to drop ascended food for yourself and others (the fishing ones are nice to drop for everyone at wp's), then yes finish it.  If it doesn't bother you to not be at 500 and you just want food for yourself, then nope don't worry with it.  

I especially like the home instance perks and the portable composter.  I like to make a few ascended recipes occasionally and chuck in the guild storage and use them for world bosses.

Ascended food is usually cheaper than personal variants of similar foods (i.e, the recipes from the LWS maps), and if even one other person uses it then its always cheaper. Just keep in mind you'll be lmited to four platters per day unless you have the other Black Lion Garden Plots from the gemstore already.

But unless you need specific stats or %damage resist, you're better off using cheap food. The main use is providing damage resistance in hard content like high-end PvE or in WvW.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ATMAvatar.5749 said:

Were the home instance oven available account-wide, I'd say yes without hesitation.  Being character-specific, I'm not as sure.

The question is: how many chefs do you have on your account?
I have only 1 and I use passes for crafting anyways. I tend to tag some content, for that reason alone it feels worth it.

42 minutes ago, ATMAvatar.5749 said:

Were the home instance oven available account-wide, I'd say yes without hesitation.  Being character-specific, I'm not as sure.

Then again, the contents of your home instance can only be farmed once per day per account, so making your chef the one to farm the nodes isn't much of a stretch.

I have done it. In itself, for my loner play style, the ability to make ascended food was not worth it. It was a time and resource sink and making the food now has so many steps I normally do not bother. Recently I came back to it and to make my life easier, I just have gw2efficiency tell me what to craft.

This being said, I think there were a bunch of achievement points involved. You can put a big check mark "Done that". Having the garden plot in your home instance may be a way of quickly getting daily achievements like "Krytan Harvester" a breeze.

In short: a low reward:effort ratio.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

The question is: how many chefs do you have on your account?

I have one character for each profession, and each character can have several jobs, so I have several chefs.  For sure, I have a primary chef, though.

15 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Then again, the contents of your home instance can only be farmed once per day per account, so making your chef the one to farm the nodes isn't much of a stretch.

Part of the issue is that my main is not my cook, but it is the only character with infinite gathering tools, so I generally bring it to my home instance for gathering nodes.  However, it would be useful to have access to my bank (via the oven) inside my home instance.  For example, I always forget to pick up 25 quartz crystals beforehand to fuse at the Krait tuning crystal, and it would be super convenient to have access to my materials right there.  Since I don't have such access, I don't generally bother fusing crystals.

• Thanks 1

Like many said I think its very personal. I like it for the achievement points, the extra's in the home instance and personaly i like to discover the ascended recipes. As a guild leader i think its also nice i'm able to deliver food for the group or a squad. 

And its a fun side quest of which i think are too few in this game.