Dual Class Elite Spec Concepts

Kodama.6453

In this thread, it is once again brought to our attention that many of the elite specs we got so far can be interpreted as a dual class system for GW2.
I also made an own chart how I personally interpret the currently available elite specs. Some are pretty straight forward, like mechanist being the engineer/ranger fusion, but quite some are also debatable.

What I want to ask in this thread here now is: Which class combinations would you enjoy to see in the future? How would you thematically combine these 2 classes and integrate themes of the secondary class into the primary one? What kind of skills and gameplay should the spec have?

Basically, I just want to read fun fan elite spec concepts under the premise that they have to represent a dual class archetype for this chart. And I will, as a start, provide my own idea here.

Corroder
Engineer/Necromancer

Elite Spec Mechanic: Fumigator
Weapon: Axe, dual wielded (Ascended Weapon: "Magnum Opus")
Utility skills: Preparations
Armor piece: Shoes ("Corroder's Wake", shoes with valves on the side which spread green gas at your feet)

Engineers which have specialized into the field of alchemy, studying various dangerous chemicals, gases and acids to melt through the defenses of their enemies.
Depending on their choices, corroders can either deal alot of condition damage to their enemies, rip boons from them with their acids or sneak up on them hidden by the clouds they create (stealth).

The fumigator replaces the F5 toolbelt skill. Entering the fumigator will make all your other toolbelt skills flip over to a new set. One of the new toolbelt skills will spread gas in an area, which is a growing combo field that persists as long as you have the resource "gas". The properties of this combo field as well as the methods on how you fill your "gas" is chosen by an adept trait, the options being:

• a poison combo field that ticks conditions in an area, you fill your gas tank by applying conditons on enemies
  • an ether combo field that rips boons from enemies, you fill your gas tank with every boon you remove from foes
  • a smoke combo field that stealths allies, you fill your gas tank by avoiding hits (blinds, blocks, invuln, dodges, all count)

The preparations of corroders are special devices they install on the battlefield to spread their deadly chemicals once the right time has come. Once placed, they have a short arming time, but their effects will be even more devastating if you wait additional time for them to build up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I like that chart which gives inspiration to combine playstyles of other classes.

druid gave the staff to ranger, Dragonhunter the Longbow to the Guardian.

Could imagine a shadow rev/warrior for the Necro dealing with a sword. Otherwise I sill hope for the Ele with a longbow. Concepts should be found in the forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Warrior/Ranger but with Mechanist like pet not the Ranger like pets?

Warrior/Guardian with lots of F keys that do lots of things and be relevant again?

Warrior/Thief for teleports and stealth. Rename adrenaline to sneak, F2 is Stealth Mode, Stealth Mode drains sneak while active, while in Stealth Mode F1 is an Execution ability for the equipped weapon (BIG damage). Stealth Mode can be entered at any level of Sneak and has an 8s CD, drains 5 sneak per second, cap of 0 sneak. Executions count as T1 bursts only. Other sources of stealth do not grant access to Executions. Could actually be an opportunity to do stealth right for once in this game...

Warrior/Necro and have Shroud on F1. That actually would be hilarious.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

In this thread, it is once again brought to our attention that many of the elite specs we got so far can be interpreted as a dual class system for GW2.
I also made an own chart how I personally interpret the currently available elite specs. Some are pretty straight forward, like mechanist being the engineer/ranger fusion, but quite some are also debatable.

What I want to ask in this thread here now is: Which class combinations would you enjoy to see in the future? How would you thematically combine these 2 classes and integrate themes of the secondary class into the primary one? What kind of skills and gameplay should the spec have?

Basically, I just want to read fun fan elite spec concepts under the premise that they have to represent a dual class archetype for this chart. And I will, as a start, provide my own idea here.

Corroder
Engineer/Necromancer

Elite Spec Mechanic: Fumigator
Weapon: Axe, dual wielded (Ascended Weapon: "Magnum Opus")
Utility skills: Preparations
Armor piece: Shoes ("Corroder's Wake", shoes with valves on the side which spread green gas at your feet)

Engineers which have specialized into the field of alchemy, studying various dangerous chemicals, gases and acids to melt through the defenses of their enemies.
Depending on their choices, corroders can either deal alot of condition damage to their enemies, rip boons from them with their acids or sneak up on them hidden by the clouds they create (stealth).

The fumigator replaces the F5 toolbelt skill. Entering the fumigator will make all your other toolbelt skills flip over to a new set. One of the new toolbelt skills will spread gas in an area, which is a growing combo field that persists as long as you have the resource "gas". The properties of this combo field as well as the methods on how you fill your "gas" is chosen by an adept trait, the options being:

• a poison combo field that ticks conditions in an area, you fill your gas tank by applying conditons on enemies
  • an ether combo field that rips boons from enemies, you fill your gas tank with every boon you remove from foes
  • a smoke combo field that stealths allies, you fill your gas tank by avoiding hits (blinds, blocks, invuln, dodges, all count)

The preparations of corroders are special devices they install on the battlefield to spread their deadly chemicals once the right time has come. Once placed, they have a short arming time, but their effects will be even more devastating if you wait additional time for them to build up.

The chart is a pretty big stretch to be honest. Although many elite specs do seem to Mix some elements of other classes, A lot just don't. To say "Scourge" or "Druid" are "Mixed with Revenant and elementalist respectively" is a tough idea to sell since this idea of mixed class mechanics in elite specs is actually very new.

I'm not opposed to the idea of Elite specs mixing ideas of other core classes into the class, but lets not retroactively try to shoe horn in this idea for older specs.

16 minutes ago, Lily.1935 said:

The chart is a pretty big stretch to be honest. Although many elite specs do seem to Mix some elements of other classes, A lot just don't. To say "Scourge" or "Druid" are "Mixed with Revenant and elementalist respectively" is a tough idea to sell since this idea of mixed class mechanics in elite specs is actually very new.

I'm not opposed to the idea of Elite specs mixing ideas of other core classes into the class, but lets not retroactively try to shoe horn in this idea for older specs.

I know, especially HoT specs tend to be stretches, since the concept of "dual classing" elite specs probably wasn't in the dev's heads back then.

The focus of this thread in the first place is just giving inspiration for fun ideas how new elite specs could combine 2 classes for thematics, tho. Don't get too hung up on the chart.

Edited by Kodama.6453

3 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

I know, especially HoT specs tend to be stretches, since the concept of "dual classing" elite specs probably wasn't in the dev's heads back then.

The focus of this thread in the first place is just giving inspiration for fun ideas how new elite specs could combine 2 classes for thematics, tho. Don't get too hang up on the chart.

I'm good with the Idea. Hey, give me a Demon pet I summon like the mechanist as a necro and I'd be happy. Although I'd rather some multiple little dudes, but having them combo with shroud abilities sounds awesome as heck. Or a warrior guardian type spec that gets Chants and becomes a paragon. Lets go! I want my shouty boi.

Dreadnough

warrior/necromancer

It would be all about fear and stability.

F1 can only use 1 strike worth of adrenaline. F2 gain barrier and fear foes around you, gain additional barrier for each foe feared.

2nd minor let bursts inflict fear (0.25s) on hit.

3rd minor apply 5 stack of vulnerability upon fearing a foe.

Upper traitline focus on barrier (increase outgoing barrier by 50%, cleanse conditions upon granting banner, changed F2 from a selfish skill to a group skill spliting the amount of barrier between 5 allies)

Mid traitline focus on fear (Weakness upon fearing a foe, burn upon fearing a foe, gain might whenever you fear a foe <- the cliché trait)

Lower traitline focus on stability (gain increased stats while under the effect of stability, gain stability upon using a healing skill, F2 no longer grant additional barrier per foe struck but instead provide stability to up to 5 allies)

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Dreadnough

warrior/necromancer

It would be all about fear and stability.

F1 can only use 1 strike worth of adrenaline. F2 gain barrier and fear foes around you, gain additional barrier for each foe feared.

2nd minor let bursts inflict fear (0.25s) on hit.

3rd minor apply 5 stack of vulnerability upon fearing a foe.

Upper traitline focus on barrier (increase outgoing barrier by 50%, cleanse conditions upon granting banner, changed F2 from a selfish skill to a group skill spliting the amount of barrier between 5 allies)

Mid traitline focus on fear (Weakness upon fearing a foe, burn upon fearing a foe, gain might whenever you fear a foe <- the cliché trait)

Lower traitline focus on stability (gain increased stats while under the effect of stability, gain stability upon using a healing skill, F2 no longer grant additional barrier per foe struck but instead provide stability to up to 5 allies)

Interesting concept for a class fusion, but I feel like the traits are all too vanilla and there would need to be some unique interactions here and there.

What kind of weapon or utility skills would fit such a warrior class, tho?

13 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Interesting concept for a class fusion, but I feel like the traits are all too vanilla and there would need to be some unique interactions here and there.

What kind of weapon or utility skills would fit such a warrior class, tho?

Focus and Shouts 2.0 (You know, like catalyst got stance 2.0 that they called Augment, the Dreadnought could have Plaint or Lament or Wail)

Mist Warden (Elementalist + Revenant)
All 4 elements replaced by "Light" and "Dark" Elements, weapon swap allowed. (Light inherits Water and Earth trait lines, Dark inherits Fire and Air trait lines). 10s cooldown for switching between them as per protocol.
Light Element (F1) > focuses on supporting & defense (healing, defensive boons, increased defense, etc.).
Dark Element (F2) > focuses on offense (raw power, life stealing, conditions, boon corruption, increased attack speed and reduced cast times, etc.).
Additional mechanic: Energy bar that fills up for using skills in either of elements. Maximum capacity is 100 points, it is split into 5 smaller segments each having 20 points. After obtaining 20 points in either elements, the segment will get "locked" in either "white" or "black" state and next segment will start filling-up.

Chaos Invocation (F3) > Effects of this skill changes based on the amount and type of locked segments:
- 100% Dark (5 segments in "black" state) > Invoke Chaotic AoE at targeted location: 1) Deal damage; 2) Corrupt boons; 3) Apply Conditions; 4) Pull enemies to the center; 5) Life Steal.
- 100%  Light (5 segments in "white" state) > Invoke Chaotic AoE at targetted location: 1) Heal; 2) Convert conditions into boons; 3) Apply boons; 4) Reduce incoming damage to allies; 5) Block missilies.
- 60% Dark & 40% Light > Invoke Chaotic AoE at targetted location: 1) Deal damage; 2) Corrupt boons; 3) Apply Conditions; 1) Heal; 2) Convert conditions into boons;
- Etc. for the rest possible combinations, ofc 60%&40% works the same as 40%&60%. If you have filled only one element to 40% and nothing in second, then you'll only gain benefits of that element. If you had 55% filled up, then after using F3 you'll use 40% and 15% will be "saved" for next usage. If you have filled 15% from one element and switched to another, the 15% will stay filled in first segment and you'll start filling-up second segment of second element.
Signature Weapon: Greatsword.
Adjusted weapons: Daggers, Scepter, Staff, Focus, Trident. < Need new skills for new elements.
Utility Skills: Wells (Heal - Light well, heals and removes conditions; Utility - Light well that increases defenses/decreases incoming damage, 2nd Light well applies boons and blocks missiles, Black well corrupts boons and damage enemies, 2nd Black well steals life and applies conditions; Elite - Chaos field that switches between Light and Dark fields every 2s, lasts 8s, effects in random order like applying boons, increasing defenses, reducing incoming damage, stealing life, healing and the rest of wells).
Trait line:

- Top > Focuses on Light Element (increased boon duration, defensive boons, increased defenses, etc.)
- Mid > Focuses on F3 and Well skills (increased radius, duration, reduced cooldown, etc.).
- Bottom > Focuses on Dark Element (increased life steal, offensive boons, increased attack speed, etc.).
- Minor > Centered around increasing stats in each element and energy generation.

Random idea created within 5 min. Too lazy to think about specific effects for each trait, weapon, utility.~

• Thanks 1

Warrior/Thief 

Demonslayer

Gain Fury instead of Adrenaline. Can be stocked up to 30 strikes like adrenaline. Does not decay out of combat (or make this baseline for all warrior specs). 

Staff

F1 is core burst

F2 is a guard position (50% inc dmg, 3 stacks of aegis, T2 burst) 

F3 is a full adrenaline consumer skill that reveals a target, applies vuln and ports you to them, 1200 range. Requires a target. 

Gain Deceptions as skills. 

Heal: Absorb (steal 3 enemy boons and apply their respective conditions on the foe. Heal for each boon stolen and condi applied on top of baseline heal, base heal triggers if no foe) 

1: Augment (boost dmg for 10 sec by 25% and gain might when struck) 

2: Repose (do a backflip and evade, remove inhibiting condis break stuns) 

3: Subdue (Leap on a foe 600 range and strike them 3 times, knocking them back the 3rd time

4: Draw (extend your arm and use magic to pull your foe after you slow them, 1200 range) 

Elite: Afterimage Technique (triple ammo 400 range port) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I been meaning to join this discussion. 

So lets get at it. 

Warrior/Ranger

Elite Spec Name: Bounty Hunter
Weapon: Great Axe
New Skill Type: Butcher 
*Mechanics:

F1= Beast Skill,

F2 Beast Return/Aggressiveness Toggle,

F3 Mount/Dismount Beast

Warrior Elite Spec becomes Bounty Hunters.

Bounty Hunters wield mighty Great Axes, as they cut through forests to hunt down those who try to escape their final prison.
Bounty Hunters can pick between 3 type of Beast companions from Grand Master traits. Each with a different role that they excel at. 

1) Black Lion

2) Elephant

3) Cobra Eel
*)Mounting your Beast differs from the current out of combat Mount System that all characters have access to. Bounty Hunter Mounts are a cosmetic combat effect with different unique effects. Beast Mounts replaces your current Health Bar with the Beast's HP. While Mounting the Beast, your skill bar will change. 

Skills 2-7 skills are replaced with unique Beast Mount skills. Skill 1 chain of Weapon skills can still be used.

*)Butcher skills use Adrenaline similar to burst skills, while also triggering traits effected by Burst skills. This is the unique way Bounty Hunters consume Adrenaline alongside the Beast Skill. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/13/2022 at 5:23 AM, Lily.1935 said:

Yeah, there are some there that I'd probably assign differently, and I'd probably also be inclined to include some GW1 professions into the chart as well. It expresses the concept, though, as long as nobody claims that a particular combination can't be done because it's already been done according to the chart. Heck, you could well have double-ups of the same combination, but emphasising different parts of the "secondary" profession. For instance, regarding Berserker as W/E shouldn't necessarily rule out a warrior focused more on air and water.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:51 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

...that would indeed be hilarious.

A bit more seriously, though, from memory W/Ns in GW1 tended to be mostly about giving enemies their conditions back at them. The touch ranger concept also generally didn't squeeze a pet onto the bar, so I think there might be a very real possibility of stealing that and having a warrior that achieves high sustainability through life steal while also being dangerous to put conditions on because it can transfer them right back. Maybe the lifestealing theme could be represented by stealing life force from enemies as part of their attacks (almost like it's just adrenaline by another name!) and then having F1-F4 skills to spend it either aggressively or defensively in a similar manner to scourge. There'd need to be some equivalent of a burst skill in there, but maybe they could go the spellbreaker route of having F1 be essentially a one-bar burst skill, but F2-F4 provide other options for spending the resource.

• Sad 1

On 7/12/2022 at 7:51 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Warrior/Ranger but with Mechanist like pet not the Ranger like pets?

Warrior/Guardian with lots of F keys that do lots of things and be relevant again?

Warrior/Thief for teleports and stealth. Rename adrenaline to sneak, F2 is Stealth Mode, Stealth Mode drains sneak while active, while in Stealth Mode F1 is an Execution ability for the equipped weapon (BIG damage). Stealth Mode can be entered at any level of Sneak and has an 8s CD, drains 5 sneak per second, cap of 0 sneak. Executions count as T1 bursts only. Other sources of stealth do not grant access to Executions. Could actually be an opportunity to do stealth right for once in this game...

MWRA "MAKE WARRRIOR RELEVANT AGAIN!!!"

27 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Yeah, there are some there that I'd probably assign differently, and I'd probably also be inclined to include some GW1 professions into the chart as well. It expresses the concept, though, as long as nobody claims that a particular combination can't be done because it's already been done according to the chart. Heck, you could well have double-ups of the same combination, but emphasising different parts of the "secondary" profession. For instance, regarding Berserker as W/E shouldn't necessarily rule out a warrior focused more on air and water.

...that would indeed be hilarious.

A bit more seriously, though, from memory W/Ns in GW1 tended to be mostly about giving enemies their conditions back at them. The touch ranger concept also generally didn't squeeze a pet onto the bar, so I think there might be a very real possibility of stealing that and having a warrior that achieves high sustainability through life steal while also being dangerous to put conditions on because it can transfer them right back. Maybe the lifestealing theme could be represented by stealing life force from enemies as part of their attacks (almost like it's just adrenaline by another name!) and then having F1-F4 skills to spend it either aggressively or defensively in a similar manner to scourge. There'd need to be some equivalent of a burst skill in there, but maybe they could go the spellbreaker route of having F1 be essentially a one-bar burst skill, but F2-F4 provide other options for spending the resource.

I know some Necros have been wanting a vampiric swordsman build, but I can see that being the Warrior/Necro based espec. F1 becomes Vampiric Shroud. Adrenaline becomes Vampiric Force, and you gain it in all the same ways (1 adrenaline gain is 1% Vampiric Force gain). You can enter VS and leave it in all the same ways as normal shroud. The Master Minor trait would cause you to steal life when you bleed a foe. The GM minor would be to gain protection when you strike a foe with a certain amount of bleed stacks. Utilities would be Corruptions. Espec weapon would be MH Pistol or Staff. Shroud would be you dual wielding a pair of swords and feature large amounts of bleed stacks, large amounts of torment, a taunt, and a fast gap closer. 10/10 would play.

Warrior/Ranger - I would love something similar to Chaos Legion. You could co-opt it like the Warriors tapped into the power of the Foefire, but to keep a "non-magic fighter" aspect I would say just make the warrior a commander.

• Warrior - Gains Minion skill type. Minions are soldiers that persist until killed. 
  • Adrenaline - Warrior loses access to bursts. Instead, upon using burst all currently active Minions use a burst skill at the target.
  • Traits that affect Burst Skills are limited to T1 only. However, activates based on the number of successful activations/hits performed by all currently active Minions.
    • Heal: Shield soldier (1) - Intermittently provides healing & Aegis. Burst - Shield of Absorption at Warrior
    • Utility 1: Sword soldier (2) - Sword auto attack, causes Bleed (affected by Blademaster). Burst - Savage Leap and Final Thrust
    • Utility 2: Bow soldier (1) - Longbow auto attack, causes Vulnerability (affected by Crack Shot). Burst - Barrage
    • Utility 3: Mage soldier (1) - Casts spells, causes Burning. Burst - Meteor Shower
    • Elite: Hammer Warrior (1) - Hammer auto attack, causes Weakness (affected by Merciless Hammer). Burst - Rupturing Smash
  • Traits
    • Focus on group support by providing additional effects pulsing around Minions
      • Shield soldier - Pulses barrier
      • Sword soldier - Pulses bleed
      • Bow soldier - Pulses fury
      • Mage soldier - Pulses alacrity <-- note: this trait should probably affect all Minions or something, just make Warriors have access to Alacrity
      • Hammer Warrior - Pulses Might (synergizes with Tactics & Strength for self-sustain & party support)
    • Focus on "selfish" playstyle making the army more effective
      • +1 minion to each skill except Elite
      • Elite now can use Burst without being ordered to.
      • If downed, the Army will rush to rally the Commander (shield soldiers use Shield of Absorption at the Commander's location prior to attempted to heal)
    • Focus on Control
      • Shield Soldier - Burst Changes to Shield Bash, provides Aegis on burst in addition to original effect.
      • Sword, Bow, Mage soldiers - Burst inflicts Cripple. If already Crippled or Immobilized, inflicts Torment
      • Hammer - Every third hit cases Daze
Edited by Geoff Fey.1035
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I know some Necros have been wanting a vampiric swordsman build, but I can see that being the Warrior/Necro based espec. F1 becomes Vampiric Shroud. Adrenaline becomes Vampiric Force, and you gain it in all the same ways (1 adrenaline gain is 1% Vampiric Force gain). You can enter VS and leave it in all the same ways as normal shroud. The Master Minor trait would cause you to steal life when you bleed a foe. The GM minor would be to gain protection when you strike a foe with a certain amount of bleed stacks. Utilities would be Corruptions. Espec weapon would be MH Pistol or Staff. Shroud would be you dual wielding a pair of swords and feature large amounts of bleed stacks, large amounts of torment, a taunt, and a fast gap closer. 10/10 would play.

I could also see the espec weapon being a sceptre or focus, on the basis that that's what you use to deliver those nasty touch attacks. If it does go with having a shroud, though, that might be where some of those skills are located.

PS Or it could have a sceptre as a means of having ranged attacks. If we're at the point where the warrior is pretty explicitly dabbling in magic, and it's themed around inflicting bleeds, then sceptre as a ranged weapon and swords for melee would make sense.

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Sad 1

Thief/Revenant

Elite Spec Name: Ronin
Weapon: Greatsword

Mechanics: Stances and Technique Bar

Skill Type: Banner Skills

Description: Ronin Guardsmen are less mobile than the avg Thief, but more guarded to protecting the Imperial emperor. Ronin are masters of combat techniques, making them deadly in long fights as they learn their enemies martial arts to counter their strategy.

*Mechanics Explained:   

Ronin has 3 Stances that replace the steal system. Each Stance has a passive effect that will build up over time from the Technique Bar the longer you are in the stance.

*Samurai Stance - Speed and Stealth are reduced in this stance, but health pool and passive incoming damage reduction is increased and technique bar triggers Parry every 50% Technique generated. Perry counters an incoming attack dealing damage to the attacker instead.

*Assassin Stance - Reduces Endurance generation and Stealth duration, but increases Damage and triggers conditions on 25% Technique

*Ninja Stance- Stealth and endurance are more effective, and reveal is less effective

*Banner Skills-

Banners work similar in concept to the old Warrior banners in that they have skills of their own, but can be dropped on the field. But once placed on the field they cant be picked up.

• Sad 1