GW2 should finally add "inspect gear" ability to examine other players' cosmetics

I put a lot of time and effort into my fashion wars, so I do not really like idea of both inspect gear and stats feature. If someone want to steal my fashion, let them at least struggle for it a little, or ask, for I would never deny someone information if someone would asked (This way I know my look is liked too). As for gear, as long as someone do good numbers, I do not care what they run.

Maybe in game arc dps could be ok, since we already use one from off-site anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

They banned the dev because it allowed gear inspect (Which also told you player name) in places like WvW.

And inspecting other players' equipment and traits is specifically what one of the OPs of the merged threads wanted to have.

Sometimes, merging threads just adds confusion and nothing else.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fueki.4753 said:

And inspecting other players' equipment and traits is specifically what one of the OPs of the merged threads wanted to have.

Sometimes, merging threads just adds confusion and nothing else.

bruh.  I think you're the confused one here, 'cause I was responding to the person there to inform why that other DPS meter got banned.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

For cosmetics it's fine to me. Although you will usually make players quite happy by telling them that you like their character's looks and ask them if they can ping their armor pieces.

While a full inspect would be nice, I'm a bit afraid it facilitates discrimination on builds and gear for group content and thus leads to unnecessary toxic behavior. But then again, you ask for it just showing cosmetics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biziut.3594 said:

I put a lot of time and effort into my fashion wars, so I do not really like idea of both inspect gear and stats feature. If someone want to steal my fashion, let them at least struggle for it a little, or ask, for I would never deny someone information if someone would asked (This way I know my look is liked too). As for gear, as long as someone do good numbers, I do not care what they run.

Maybe in game arc dps could be ok, since we already use one from off-site anyways.

Nicely said, I know it's a game, but it's kind of copying someone's creative work.  Come up with your own, take your best guess, or ask and if someone chooses to answer that's great.  I'm more than satisfied telling someone hey I really like your outfit/dye without snooping through their underwear drawer.  I can respect that some people put a LOT of time and effort into their character.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, KrivukasLT.3507 said:

If only cosmetics or transmogs without displaying any stats or gear or build then why not

If they ever added that, I would suggest with a toggle to be able to opt out for those who would like to keep their wardrobe private.  I definitely understand that someone doesn't want a copy paste of their colors or armor or mounts that they spent a lot of time putting together for someone to simply copy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

If they ever added that, I would suggest with a toggle to be able to opt out for those who would like to keep their wardrobe private.  I definitely understand that someone doesn't want a copy paste of their colors or armor or mounts that they spent a lot of time putting together for someone to simply copy.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, though.

But it's also why I suggested something more like a gear template storage earlier in this thread that lets you save your outfits, dyes, (And maybe even stat selection for legendary armor and sigils) as a chat code so you could have someone say "Hey, what outfit is that?"
Then you could go all "It's not an outfit, it's actually this! [Gear Template Link]"
A right-click, preview would show skins and dyes of your armor.  Stat spread would still be private (Unless an option is ticked on), but it'd show upgrades like infusions and enrichments (Because infusion effects)

Also I just want a method to change outfits or save appearances for my legendary armor and a method to share the gear stat array I'm using without having to ping each piece of gear individually or write out much.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, though.

But it's also why I suggested something more like a gear template storage earlier in this thread that lets you save your outfits, dyes, (And maybe even stat selection for legendary armor and sigils) as a chat code so you could have someone say "Hey, what outfit is that?"
Then you could go all "It's not an outfit, it's actually this! [Gear Template Link]"
A right-click, preview would show skins and dyes of your armor.  Stat spread would still be private (Unless an option is ticked on), but it'd show upgrades like infusions and enrichments (Because infusion effects)

Also I just want a method to change outfits or save appearances for my legendary armor and a method to share the gear stat array I'm using without having to ping each piece of gear individually or write out much.

It's flattery if it's wanted.  If it's not, then it can be perceived as lazy and simply copying.  It is why I suggested a toggle button, if something like that was implemented, or as you suggested a template to share (nice idea!  I also would LOVE to be able to save looks, and would work wonderfully for sharing).  

I had a fun encounter this past Mad King Festival with another charr wearing full Requiem gear as well, and we had a great time...we discussed colors, admired the styling, etc.  It still makes me smile.  It's a good conversation piece.  I feel like that's really part of the game, even as a largely solo player, taking a moment to chat or share.  Your template idea would work very well with this, still engages players and starts conversation, with the option to pass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

It's flattery if it's wanted.  If it's not, then it can be perceived as lazy and simply copying.  It is why I suggested a toggle button, if something like that was implemented, or as you suggested a template to share (nice idea!  I also would LOVE to be able to save looks, and would work wonderfully for sharing).  

I had a fun encounter this past Mad King Festival with another charr wearing full Requiem gear as well, and we had a great time...we discussed colors, admired the styling, etc.  It still makes me smile.  It's a good conversation piece.  I feel like that's really part of the game, even as a largely solo player, taking a moment to chat or share.  Your template idea would work very well with this, still engages players and starts conversation, with the option to pass.

that's actually a fair point, i've got a setup that i think looks good and i would hate to see someone copy it.  it is nice though to get the pings about individual items and i usually reply (its a really positive behaviour in a mmorpg community)

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

bruh.  I think you're the confused one here, 'cause I was responding to the person there to inform why that other DPS meter got banned.

Yea and that post you respond to is from another thread that got merged into this one.

That Opening post talked about gear and stats oh lets add on cosmetics to with a tic box just to make this bitter pill easier to swallow.

And yea noone would ever demand hey show us those gear and stats or we kick you ever mkay.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yea and that post you respond to is from another thread that got merged into this one.

That Opening post talked about gear and stats oh lets add on cosmetics to with a tic box just to make this bitter pill easier to swallow.

And yea noone would ever demand hey show us those gear and stats or we kick you ever mkay.

👌

On 2/14/2023 at 10:27 AM, Andifulated.3482 said:

They banned the dev because it allowed gear inspect (Which also told you player name) in places like WvW.

Nope. They wanted gear inspect out of the meter in any mode. That's why Delta only disabled some functions of Arc in WvW/SPvP, but had to completely remove the whole inspect module instead of just mode-limiting it.

• Confused 2

One of the reasons I play GW2 is because it has no inspect function.

This is getting annoying. People come to GW2 because it isn't like every MMO, then they start a campaign to add something to GW2 that the game they just left has so that GW2 becomes more like every other game.

If you want to play a game that is like your last MMO then go back to that game instead of demanding that this game change itself into a clone of that game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, circuitnerd.5863 said:

Given people's polarized replies, I think a good compromise would be either 

1.  The player must be in party or squad to be able to inspect
  2. The player must request to view equipment
  3. Both

There's no need for any kind of compromise on this matter. Such a feature simply has to stay out of the game.

If some people find such a tool necessary and/or its absence unacceptable, that's exclusively on them, not on the game. Thus, they need to find a solution on their own; the game doesn't need to provide one.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/20/2023 at 2:25 AM, circuitnerd.5863 said:

3. Both

There's no need for any kind of compromise on this matter. Such a feature simply has to be added to the game.

If some people find such a tool unnecessary and/or its absence acceptable, that's exclusively on them, not on the game. Thus, they need to find a solution on their own; the game doesn't need to provide one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Einsof.1457 said:

There's no need for any kind of compromise on this matter. Such a feature simply has to be added to the game.

If some people find such a tool unnecessary and/or its absence acceptable, that's exclusively on them, not on the game. Thus, they need to find a solution on their own; the game doesn't need to provide one.

No resources need to be spent on such a tool the ones who want and use it already use killproff.me

• Like 1

Just ask the player I am sure they will be more than happy to tell you or snapshot the player and ask around or check the wardrobe.

As for the cosmetics inspection I would say no because it starts with that then the ask will be for status, etc. Which someone will then say "...Well we have it why not stats..."

Been in a lot of MMOs where they have this feature and results the following which is a double edge sword as follows:

1)  you cant join a team if you dont have the right gear, awards, etc.

2) used that feature to also target enemies and quickly switch gears to counter them (been there done that in pvp servers of those games)

3) even worse target a prey and quickly change gears to kill them faster (been there done that in pvp servers of those games)

We currently have some teams LFG in Raid, Fractals, Dungeons, Strike Missions will see your damage, heals, with that app  which also can be a double edge sword as well.

Also in LFG some will not allow you in the team/raid if you cant provide the awards or gears before you have to join. It will be worse if they can just look at your gear/items with a feature like that and quickly decline or not give you a chance.

Reasons why I sometimes place a LFG for starting players so they can build the experience/gear, etc.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2023 at 3:25 AM, circuitnerd.5863 said:

3. Both

Here is the thing with that compromise:

1) this will limit the players new or old to join a team asking for this type of compromise

2) this will result in creation of other teams and less will eventually join resulting in fewer and fewer players even looking to join that group and at the same time harder for that group to find players.

If this is so important then they should create a dedicated group of players and there is no longer that issue. On the downside, there will be a problem or situation were those dedicated players may leave the game, get bored and now you have to find again more players.

This will soon be like joining guilds in which in the past it had its benefits but the downside is some took advantage to place silly rules and expectations where it limited the number of players to join that guild. Also it was easy to kick them out or get kicked.

Now we fast forward today were we can now have upto 5 guilds to join which resulted in those type of guilds now having trouble getting new players and get mad players are not loyal to the guild. Those guilds are almost begging to have players join so they can have just enough for guild missions, etc.

As a result, those groups or teams with this type of compromise can result having the same issues like the guilds. As players will soon start to identify these groups skip in joining them and join another LFG team or guild.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

It’s not needed

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1