Feedback-Recovering 8 Years of Anniversary Gifts in Bank

Customer support sent me here to provide feedback. I recently returned to the game and found 8 years worth of anniversary gifts on my characters. I wanted to delete a character or two, so I moved all of the anniversary gifts to my bank, assuming I could open them on a character I was keeping. I deleted that character and then found out that they were still bound to that character. The service to restore deleted characters is no longer offered. I have opened the gifts on other characters, and so far all of the items have been account bound. They consists of armour skins, dyes, xp boosters etc. There is no reason I should not be able to open those gifts in my bank on another character since it doesn't really matter what character I open them on. My bank is now full of 8 years worth of exclusive rewards that I can never earn again, and I can't even open them. Please change them so they are account bound, not character bound. There is no reason to do this.

I planned to purchase the expansions, buy more inventory and character slots, but because of this you've lost a customer. This is something you could change, but won't, which shows me how little you care about your customers. Imagine if this situation happened to you or someone you know and you work at the company; I guarantee you would fix this for them.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, angelicchoir.7902 said:

Yes I have, because I have an entire bank full of gifts I currently can't open because whatever character they were originally bound to has since been deleted. Anyway, I need a response from a dev to find a solution. I don't expect one though.

Incorrect you have not lost anything permanently, when what ever character you have left hit 7,8, 9 or 10 years it will get the same 1 time account stuff that your previous characters would have got.

But yea it sucks I recently lost 2 glyphs since apparently Anet can only see when you put in or take out the glyph in your tool.

And trying to rememeber when your glyph was put in said tool in a 8 month time span is kinda hard.

• Like 1

The birthday system is very bad, I returned to the game last year after not having played for several years. I wanted to start fresh so I deleted the only character I created at launch without knowing that the birthday gifts were linked to the character and not the account.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I think it is intended to be personalized to the character. (Probably even mentioned in the description of the gift.) Because it is the character's birthday. No the birthday of the account. Yeah: Technically it wouldn't matter much cause the content is account bound. They could change it.

Personall I am not affected since I always open them as soon as I get them - then placing the stuff in the bank. For more than 1 gift this also should save space if you instantly  use/sell the dyes and use up the karma stuff to send it to the wallet - leaving only mainly the black lion statuettes (which I always transfer to my main).

The thing with deleting the char before even noticing the gifts ... lol - I did that at GW1. Old account ... never really played but made it back then in 2005 or so at release. Lost all the gifts then. (Luckily only useless minis there.)

They could offer an additional warming - that would make more sense. If deleting a char ... doing a quick check on mail box and bank - to see if there is charbound mail in the box and items soulbound to that char in the bank. Having you confirm that you want to lose them - before deleting.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, vanfrano.1325 said:

The birthday system is very bad, I returned to the game last year after not having played for several years. I wanted to start fresh so I deleted the only character I created at launch without knowing that the birthday gifts were linked to the character and not the account.

I feel your pain. That's what I did too.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Incorrect you have not lost anything permanently, when what ever character you have left hit 7,8, 9 or 10 years it will get the same 1 time account stuff that your previous characters would have got.

But yea it sucks I recently lost 2 glyphs since apparently Anet can only see when you put in or take out the glyph in your tool.

And trying to rememeber when your glyph was put in said tool in a 8 month time span is kinda hard.

I don't think you understand the situation or you're playing some  kind of philosophical game, where as I can't lose what I've been unable to even receive, but let's leave that out of it and stick to the real solutions that they could provide, but choose not to. I have roughly ten unopened gift boxes sitting in my bank. Every single item that is locked inside of them are items I've lost. There are A LOT of account bound dyes and cosmetics sitting inside.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, angelicchoir.7902 said:

I don't think you understand the situation or you're playing some  kind of philosophical game, where as I can't lose what I've been unable to even receive, but let's leave that out of it and stick to the real solutions that they could provide, but choose not to. I have roughly ten unopened gift boxes sitting in my bank. Every single item that is locked inside of them are items I've lost. There are A LOT of account bound dyes and cosmetics sitting inside.

Im not saying you have not lost anything at all your opening post said it was permanently like you would never be able to earn it again that is what Im arguing against.

I agree that they should just have a support person/GM mail you each gifts content after they see you delete them, since the are on your account and you have earned them just was not knowlageable about the system when deleting your characters.

But even if I agree there is nothing anyone can do here for you mate.

Edited by Linken.6345

I would ask support to escalate the ticket if possible, plead your case and try to get the oldest character restored.

The gift situation is indeed unfortunate. What I'd feel worse about is that you won't be receiving any future gifts for say year 9 or 10 given you deleted the original character. Not until your account ages another 9-10 years (or whatever your oldest remaining character is).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

I would ask support to escalate the ticket if possible, plead your case and try to get the oldest character restored.

The gift situation is indeed unfortunate. What I'd feel worse about is that you won't be receiving any future gifts for say year 9 or 10 given you deleted the original character. Not until your account ages another 9-10 years (or whatever your oldest remaining character is).

They dont restore characters anymore if they did my glyphs would have been easy to get back.

23 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

It's like saying to someone that lost money that they haven't lost it permanently, because they can always work to "get that money back". Which is of course complete bullkitten. They would still end up with less money after all is considered.

No, when another character of OPs hits that age threshold those will get their own gifts, which will have more of that stuff in it, but the contents of those specific gifts, as it is, are permanently lost. Unless Anet can somehow turn those boxes to account-bound, of course, but currently there are no plans to do so.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

They dont restore characters anymore if they did my glyphs would have been easy to get back.

Interesting. That does seem shortsighted in some cases. I get that not every character needs restoring or there might even be a good reason for a limit of restorations per account, but I would have assumed that there is some leeway with some fringe cases. Unfortunate but as you've said, nothing any of us can do about it.

35 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's like saying to someone that lost money that they haven't lost it permanently, because they can always work to "get that money back". Which is of course complete bullkitten. They would still end up with less money after all is considered.

No, when another character of OPs hits that age threshold those will get their own gifts, which will have more of that stuff in it, but the contents of those specific gifts, as it is, are permanently lost. Unless Anet can somehow turn those boxes to account-bound, of course, but currently there are no plans to do so.

If you lose something permanently you cant get it back later at all.

Those things are lost sure but not permanently since other characters can earn their own gifts and the first gift opened have the later years account 1 time unlocked stuff in them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

If you lose something permanently you cant get it back later at all.

Those things are lost sure but not permanently since other characters can earn their own gifts and the first gift opened have the later years account 1 time unlocked stuff in them.

No, it's not the very same gift. It's a new one.

It's like this: sure, you can earn a gift on a second character, but you will only have one gift. If you didn't lose the previous one, you'd have had two. One is irrevocably lost.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Interesting. That does seem shortsighted in some cases. I get that not every character needs restoring or there might even be a good reason for a limit of restorations per account, but I would have assumed that there is some leeway with some fringe cases. Unfortunate but as you've said, nothing any of us can do about it.

From what i understand they have been too free with granting that option to players, and some people took advantage of it with some... very unintended (by Anet) consequences. Removing all options for character recovery as a reason was likely a massive overreact, but the alternative would require introducing some strict control measures over who, when and why is allowed to use that option. Measures that might have been too strict to be able to be used effectively by current support people. It was likely just way easier to completely kill that.

• Confused 1

Yeah, support said they don't do character restorations anymore. So many games have automated ways for you to restore deleted characters. I don't know why they can't implement it if they're unwilling to do it manually anymore. Support also told me to write my feedback here on the forums because apparently developers read them daily, even if I don't get a response. Not getting one answers it anyway. They aren't willing to create a solution, so I'm not willing to give them any more of my money. I've been playing Anet games since day one of Guild Wars 1. When they were smaller, they would do things like that, but they must be too big now and so don't care. Their accountants don't find it 'cost effective' to fix these kinds of issues for customers, and provide quality customer service. Why they have support dealing with these kinds of issues without the ability to fix them or escalate my ticket doesn't make sense. It wastes their time, the customers time, and just makes people angry.

Edited by angelicchoir.7902
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/15/2022 at 5:50 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

From what i understand they have been too free with granting that option to players, and some people took advantage of it with some... very unintended (by Anet) consequences. Removing all options for character recovery as a reason was likely a massive overreact, but the alternative would require introducing some strict control measures over who, when and why is allowed to use that option. Measures that might have been too strict to be able to be used effectively by current support people. It was likely just way easier to completely kill that.

A lot of games that have those automated systems have cooldowns on them for that reason. They are usually once per month or so. There are so many features Anet could add to the game and even these forums. I don't know why they don't have so many features that the majority of their competitors offer.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2022 at 7:32 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

No, it's not the very same gift. It's a new one.

It's like this: sure, you can earn a gift on a second character, but you will only have one gift. If you didn't lose the previous one, you'd have had two. One is irrevocably lost.

I totally agree. Saying that you never lost those gifts permanently is like saying it's ok that you lost $50 on the street, you can earn them back?!! And I thought my math is bad.

Edited by MintyMin.2718
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MintyMin.2718 said:

I totally agree. Saying that you never lost those gifts permanently is like saying it's ok that you lost $50 on the street, you can earn them back?!! And I thought my math is bad.

You do know that later gifts include 1 time account locked stuff right?

Just because those gift are lost those 1 time account locked stuff is not lost permanently it can be reearned by another character and I already clarified that was what I meant.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, GODh.3892 said:

Why do people delete  characters without checking if it is safe to do so?

And if the description of an item says that the item is soul bound, do not assume that it is account bound, because it is not!

Well OP clearly did not check if it was soulbound or not.

Maybe a easy fix would be to not allow soulbound stuff to be put into the bank in the future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

You do know that later gifts include 1 time account locked stuff right?

Just because those gift are lost those 1 time account locked stuff is not lost permanently it can be reearned by another character and I already clarified that was what I meant.

The key word is "include". There are non-account-locked things in there as well. And the OP was talking about not the 8-year birthday gift, but 8 years worth of gifts. So, including those earlier ones that contain mostly per-character stuff.

• Confused 2