The LFG system is bad

Here are the issues with a group finder that I can think of off the top of my head:

• Players have used the LFG for almost 9 years and it's unlikely to get the majority of them to use a new system.  A group finder would just split the player base.
  • There's a cost with creating and implementing a system like this.
  • The group finder would have to send you directly into the instanced content that was queued for.
  • There's a cost with running a system like this.  From what I recall, FF14 has servers dedicated to this function.  While it wouldn't be as extensive for GW2, it wouldn't be cheap either.
  • This would not work for raids due to roles which cannot be clearly defined with a group finder.
  • It'll be hit or miss whether it'll work for strikes and fractals. 
  • It wouldn't work well for dungeons if you're looking for a specific path as this is determined within the dungeon itself.

We already have a fairly decent system with the existing LFG.  Is it perfect?  Not even close.  It's as simple as creating a LFG stating that all are welcome.  It certainly beats sitting around staring at the screen while waiting for someone else to magically create a LFG for you.

There are some improvements that can be made to the UI itself.  I'm kind of partial to the way FF14 does theirs.  You have content categories and the listings themselves which include the specific content within those categories that you're trying to do.  There could also be ways to filter who can join although I'm sure there will be those who would object to this feature despite them still going to occur regardless.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I wouldn't mind an automated queue system being added in addition to what we've already got, but that's not what the OP suggested. They were asking for a way to automate starting at the LFG window hoping someone else creates the group they want. That's not a queue, if you do that there's no way for anyone to know you're looking to join a group or for the game to know which group/s you're interested in joining in order to pull you into them. All it does is incentivise waiting for someone else to make a group for you, which could actually make it harder to find one because if everyone is waiting for someone else to do it then it will never get done.

Personally I wouldn't use an automated queue either, but I wouldn't mind if other people had that choice as long as it was in addition to what we've got now and not a replacement. Most of the time I've found queuing in other games to take at least as long as waiting for people to join the group I'm advertising in GW2, often longer. Unless of course you queue as a healer because most people don't want to play them but the game won't let groups start without one because an automated queue can't allow for any variation, so most groups get stuck waiting for a healer (or for someone who queued up as a healer but can actually be another DPS player like they'd prefer...but you have to infer which they want from their actions because they have no intention of saying anything). But then we're back to the issue that GW2 doesn't have official roles for most things, including instanced content.

More importantly though an automated queue can't allow for other types of variations, like players who want an experienced group for a fast speed run or players who want to watch all the cut scenes or have never done it before and want to figure it out as they're going along or want to get a specific achievement. They all get thrown in together and have to hope the random people they're stuck with will accomodate what they want to do.

In my other MMO the automated group finder is unofficially exclusively for speed running groups, because if you get even 1 person who is going to do that everyone else's options are reduced to trying to keep up or missing out on everything, including rewards from bosses, because they weren't close enough when it died. If you want to do anything except speed clears you're left with no option but standing outside the instance entrance spamming chat or asking your guild to help, both of which can only reach a tiny proportion of the available players. That part wouldn't be an issue in GW2 because we already have a tool which can be used for all types of group, no matter how specific, and can be seen by everyone in your region, but I suspect an automated queue would still have the same problem that it would only work for one type of group.

5 hours ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

This is just one of the many ways the game was never really high quality. Many of us would use a queued system. Folks who are happy with the current set up could keep doing their thing, but insist that no one else should get a robust queueing system. Kind of stinks really.

Make a group, put "everyone welcome"/"chill run" or whatever else you feel like in the description and there you have your random group finder. What's the issue?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Make a group, put "everyone welcome"/"chill run" or whatever else you feel like in the description and there you have your random group finder. What's the issue?

Or have an auto-group , which is the same results .

Less typing and less getting in groups we dont belong + no seeing the sellers .

One magic button

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 4

I agree with everything the OP said, except for 1 thing.

I think the biggest problem is that a lot of players don't even know that the LFG even exists.

It's not mentioned anywhere in game. I didn't know about it for several years, and I've been playing since shortly after launch. I still talk to people even now that don't know about it, and I explain to them how it works.

Maybe, along with improving the LFG, as the OP suggested, maybe have it mentioned in the tutorial or have one of the scout guys on the map mention it? Or have "Use the LFG to play a fractal and/or strike mission" be a daily achievement? Anything to let people know that it exists.

• Confused 2

29 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Or have an auto-group , which is the same results .

Less typing and less getting in groups we dont belong + no seeing the sellers .

One magic button

"Less getting in groups you don't belong"? That's just false.

7 minutes ago, Peregrine Falcon.5496 said:

I think the biggest problem is that a lot of players don't even know that the LFG even exists.

First of all... I'm curious how you could know this is a fact? Secondly, if someone doesn't know the lfg even exists, then all it means is that they didn't read what the game "told" them while they were leveling up.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Make a group, put "everyone welcome"/"chill run" or whatever else you feel like in the description and there you have your random group finder. What's the issue? "less getting in groups you don't belong"? That's just false.

1 magic button .

We avoid using :

a) command "-lfg" to stop seeing the gold sellers

b) Raiders will dont have to face the toxic casuals the comes to their group

c) Same resuts , rather than spamming " "everyone welcome"/"chill run" or whatever else you feel like "

Raiders already using the discord channels to find group , so they wont get affected

Now may i take the initiative and ask "why not ?" . The technology exist in PvP and try avoid dublicate classes .Plus you dont need to pre-group(only imba classes) to join pvp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

1 magic button .

No magic here. Just a clump of random players that can be already achieved with the current lfg system.

We avoid using :

If you want to "avoid using" these, you can just... not use them. Complaining about having the ability to filter your search results (in this case, specific groups) is rather weird to me. Especially right after you wrote "less getting in groups we dont belong + no seeing the sellers". Basically "give me the solution that I already have and won't use it because no!".

This doesn't make sense.

c) Same resuts , rather than spamming " "everyone welcome"/"chill run" or whatever else you feel like "

Exactly, same results, so just go do it instead of pretending you somehow can't and need a whole new system introduced to do what is already available in the game, but you refuse to use it anyways.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

This is just one of the many ways the game was never really high quality. Many of us would use a queued system. Folks who are happy with the current set up could keep doing their thing, but insist that no one else should get a robust queueing system. Kind of stinks really.

The use of autogrouping queue systems to be an indication of lower quality design in other games. Not including it elevates GW2 in comparison. GW2 has its issues, dear god does it have its issues, but avoiding autogrouping is a high mark.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No magic here. Just a clump of random players that can be already achieved with the current lfg system.

If you want to "avoid using" these, you can just... not use them. Complaining about having the ability to filter your search results (in this case, specific groups) is rather weird to me. Especially right after you wrote "less getting in groups we dont belong + no seeing the sellers". Basically "give me the solution that I already have and won't use it because no!".

This doesn't make sense.

Exactly, same results, so just go do it instead of pretending you somehow can't and need a whole new system introduced to do what is already available in the game, but you refuse to use it anyways.

Yes a clump of random players  , just like "everyis welcomed".

One button in the same time i avoid to filter +  find players that will be relaxed like me.

We have player like Kryz from this thread and other player that sy that the casual ares toxic from trying to leach in the expiriance groups

Why we should not have an auto-LFG ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

One button in the same time i avoid to filter + dont have to find players that will be relaxed like me.

We have player like Kryz from this thread and other player that sy that the casual ares toxic from trying to leach in the expiriance groups

Why we should have an auto-LFG ?

To be fair, if you are not experienced and attempt to join a group advertised for experienced players then you are attempting to impose your preferences on nine other players. You might not be a leech, you might pull your weight, but you are being toxic.

Note tbat I am jsing "you" in a general sense and am not directing this at you personally.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Yes and that's what you want. And -as you apparently understand?- you can already do it. So just start doing it, ""problem"" solved.

Why we should have an auto-LFG ?

Because you can already achieve what you want. I already told you that many times, how are you still asking the same question? 🙄

11 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The use of autogrouping queue systems to be an indication of lower quality design in other games. Not including it elevates GW2 in comparison. GW2 has its issues, dear god does it have its issues, but avoiding autogrouping is a high mark.

Agreed.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yes and that's what you want. And -as you apparently understand?- you can already do it. So just start doing it, ""problem"" solved.

Because you can already achieve what you want. I already told you that many times, how are you still asking the same question? 🙄

I need a button so i dont need to type "your 20 character text" + avoid the pro groups + the fg listing

Could you tell me a backfire of this system ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

I need a button so i dont need to type "you 20 character text" + avoid the pro groups + the fg listing

You're constantly typing way more on the forum, repeating the same questions you've already received the answers to. Typing doesn't seem to be the issue here. 🤔 

It doesn't need to "backfire" in any way, it just already is achievable in the current lfg design. Which part of this are you constantly failing to understand?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You're constantly typing way more on the forum, repeating the same questions you've already received the answers to. Typing doesn't seem to be the issue here. 🤔 

It doesn't need to "backfire" in any way, it just already is achievable in the current lfg design. Which part of this are you constantly failing to understand?

Yeas , i repeat the same quetions to you , but you to the same to the other , just like in this thread "why stopping you from using the existing LFG"

We are kind a in a loop 😛

May i ask some backfire ? Becuase the technology exist in pvp (try to limit classes + auto Rating) , and people are not forced to pre-group in the Mist and join pvp .

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

41 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Yeas , i repeat the same quetions to you , but you to the same to the other , just like in this thread "why stopping you from using the existing LFG"

We are kind a in a loop 😛

The only reason I keep repeating a question is because I don't get the answer. You get the answer to your question, you even repeat that answer at certain times, while confirming it's true and then you ask the question again. Nothing about what you do is the same.

May i ask some backfire ?

See, I've already responded to that. Must be the language barrier, I guess. 🙄

Becuase the technology exist in pvp (try to limit classes + auto Rating) , and people are not forced to pre-group in the Mist and join pvp .

pvp auto-mm systems have mmr. This is not a new concept in a pvp games. This is in no way the same for co-op pve.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The only reason I keep repeating a question is because I don't get the answer. You get the answer to your question, you even repeat that answer at certain times, while confirming it's true and then you ask the question again. Nothing about what you do is the same.

See, I've already responded to that. Must be the language barrier, I guess. 🙄 hf with that.

The answer is very simple .

1 magic button .

I want to know what you afraid from implanting it ?

I want to progress the game further ... i want to know what it is you afraid from this system ? Its the toxicity ? The casuals are already fighting the Raiders .

IS itthe cost ? Its the same as PvP

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

The answer is very simple .

1 magic button .

I want to know what you afraid from implanting it ?

No, no. The answer is simple: if you want a random group with random players, you can already do it with the current system. If you're not doing it, it's hardly something that you actually "want" and as such, it doesn't deserve the dev time, I guess since chances are... you'll still not use it, just like you're not using the current ability to achieve what you claim you want to.

o/

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, no. The answer is simple: if you want a random group with random players, you can already do it with the current system. If you're not doing it, it's hardly something that you actually "want" and as such, it doesn't deserve the dev time, I guess since chances are... you'll still not use it, just like you're not using the current ability to achieve what you claim you want to.

o/

People can use the old system .

The new aut0-system's benefits outwwights any problem with have :

Why are youafraid of this system ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Why are youafraid of this system ?

Nobody is "afraid" of anything, if you're quoting my posts, respond to their contents instead of making up your own alternative reality. 🤦‍♂️

The questions you've repeated were all already answered.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

I need a button so i dont need to type "your 20 character text" + avoid the pro groups + the fg listing

Could you tell me a backfire of this system ?

Yes the backfire is having to spend resources on a new system because some people cant type 10 letters and a space in their lfg listing is just plain dumb.

You say just put in the spvp system.

Well will people vote on what to do just like in spvp?

What if people dont vote like you will you leave and press the button again and again and again untill some hours later you find the specific group for that one type of content with the correct path?

Edit

Sounds like alot more hassle then typing 10 letters and a space in the correct place in current lfg window if you ask me.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes the backfire is having to spend resources on a new system because some people cant type 10 letters and a space in their lfg listing is just plain dumb.

You say just put in the spvp system.

Well will people vote on what to do just like in spvp?

What if people dont vote like you will you leave and press the button again and again and again untill some hours later you find the specific group for that one type of content with the correct path?

People will choose the Dungeons they wants , and a random roulete will choose .

If the dungeon for example have 70% particiapation , then the odds will favor another instance .

Edit: choose 3 dungeons + 3 strikes + 0 Raids (who cares about them)

If you excuse me now , i want to bicker with that "people that stuck " just like me and we cannot progress

• Confused 3