Having difficulty catching that ONE elusive fish?? Here's a tip. [Merged]

I've seen a lot of great suggestions regarding fishing, but one was shared with me a few weeks ago that has proved immensely helpful, and while I've been sharing it with numerous other players in-game, I thought I would share it here too!  Start using Item Boosters while fishing!! https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item_Booster

A lot of players don't realize that fishing is essentially the same as gathering from ore, lumber, and plant nodes.  Using the item booster will 1) afford you a chance to get 4-6 fish from a fishing hole instead of the normal 3, and more importantly, a 50% chance of a critical "crafting" gain/50% Magic Find (Unsure which buff is giving a boost to a higher % of the rare/exotic/ascended/legendary fish; it's 1 of the 2), which in fishing means getting those harder-to-catch fish!!  If you don't believe me, just try it!!  Chances are you've got several Item Boosters sitting in your vault collecting dust, so the next time you want to go fishing, pop one before you start and see the results. Even if you have terrible RNG like I do, you're almost certain to see much better results in the amount of rare, ascended, and legendary fish (especially those oh-so-elusive dusk/dawn fish!!).

Happy Fishing!!!

Edited by Ronin.4501
*changed 4-5 fish to 4-6 fish
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 13
  • Confused 1

This is interesting. Didn't see this in the wiki that this was supposed to work like gathering. And the "Chance of Critical Crafting Experience Gain" ... also mentions the experience. I didn't even know it would affect the results for normal crafting nodes. Never really used those boosters.

I guess if this is supposed to give more rare fish it will also give those rare other items on normal gathering on a crit. The main problem I have though at the moment:

Almost all normal fishing achievements finished going for the avid ones. Saltwater avid also almost finished (1 fish missing). But the world class one ... a lower tier one is missing - for the normal (1st time) achievement. "Armored Scalefish".

I guess maximizing the options by chosing the best nodes (no Saltwater to avoid saltwater fish and using nodes that have limited other stuff ... that maybe can be avoided by using the baits that to not target that stuff) is much better here.

Higher percentages on stats might more likely target the legendary ones? (That sometimes seem easier than the worse ones lol. Today out of 15 ones in the normal deserst - not isles - map I got like 4 legendaries or 5 lol. For the missing orange/yellow one I needed 20-30 more tries.)

Edit: Wait this says actually "crafting" but crafting is different from gathering? Doesn't this really only mean the experience when crafting? There is a gathering boost from the guild hall though ... which mentions the results: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Gathering_Boost_(consumable)

That might be even better then. I guess from the item booster mainly the magic find might affect the results?

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2

You would probably need to do some A/B testing on a Magic Find boosted character versus a 0 to find out if Magic Find has any impact on fishing results. Since rolling for rarity would be part of it if it behaves like other items that could indeed greatly increase the chance to get yellow and orange fishes but not necessarily pink and purple ones. So I somewhat assume that Magic Find is replaced by Fishing Power for the purpose of Fishing.

I think the reason this might behave akin to crafting is that you fill up a bar for catching the fish and gain EXP for it so it does not seem too outlandish to assume that the crafting system was recycled for this in an unconvential manner.

Whether Crafting and Gathering is actually that different in the first place should be possible to determine by going farming with that buff and see if you hit any bonus EXP upon gathering.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Endaris.1452 said:

You would probably need to do some A/B testing on a Magic Find boosted character versus a 0 to find out if Magic Find has any impact on fishing results. Since rolling for rarity would be part of it if it behaves like other items that could indeed greatly increase the chance to get yellow and orange fishes but not necessarily pink and purple ones. So I somewhat assume that Magic Find is replaced by Fishing Power for the purpose of Fishing.

I think the reason this might behave akin to crafting is that you fill up a bar for catching the fish and gain EXP for it so it does not seem too outlandish to assume that the crafting system was recycled for this in an unconvential manner.

Whether Crafting and Gathering is actually that different in the first place should be possible to determine by going farming with that buff and see if you hit any bonus EXP upon gathering.

Well ... if it reacts to both things from the boost it would be like crafting AND gathering. But we also don't know this for sure. The OP just mentiond that he suddenly got a bit more lucky ... which could also have been just because of pure luck. Unless he did 1000+ fishing and tested this for both. The crafing exp gain should - if this really works as well - only boost the exp gain from getting a catch. (Not leading to better rarity of the fish actually. Since in crafting we also have always the same thing. There is no evicence that this increases the chance of better fish.)

Most of this is just speculation except the additional gathering chance working but that might be due to spaghetti code issue.

Critical crafting exp and guild gathering doesn't make any sense. Exp boost should not something else not related to exp and fishing doesn't have the equivalent of additional rare materials(troves when chopping wood and gemstone when mining).

BUT none of it should hurt either so if you have those things sitting around and some cost nothing there should be no harm in using them just in case the spaghetti works in your favor.

On 7/20/2022 at 12:30 PM, Neisan.3594 said:

Which guild boost would be best suited? Crafting or gathering boost?

Interesting question. I would recommend the gathering boost, as it applies to a 20% increase in acquiring rare materials (aka the better fish). But it certainly wouldn't hurt to give the other a try (as you can swap your guild boosts as often as you like) and see how it plays out.

• Sad 1

On 7/20/2022 at 2:11 PM, Luthan.5236 said:

Well ... if it reacts to both things from the boost it would be like crafting AND gathering. But we also don't know this for sure. The OP just mentiond that he suddenly got a bit more lucky ... which could also have been just because of pure luck. Unless he did 1000+ fishing and tested this for both. The crafing exp gain should - if this really works as well - only boost the exp gain from getting a catch. (Not leading to better rarity of the fish actually. Since in crafting we also have always the same thing. There is no evicence that this increases the chance of better fish.)

On 7/20/2022 at 3:54 PM, Khisanth.2948 said:

Most of this is just speculation except the additional gathering chance working but that might be due to spaghetti code issue.

Critical crafting exp and guild gathering doesn't make any sense. Exp boost should not something else not related to exp and fishing doesn't have the equivalent of additional rare materials(troves when chopping wood and gemstone when mining).

BUT none of it should hurt either so if you have those things sitting around and some cost nothing there should be no harm in using them just in case the spaghetti works in your favor.

I've used up 14 https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item_Booster and 4 https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item_Booster_(masterwork) since I was told about this, which equates to 30 hours of fishing, so I've caught a lot more than 1000 fish. What actually got my attention was when I DIDN'T use the Item booster (but was still using fishing food, maxed fishing stacks, and maxed fishing power overall) and caught a lot fewer of the rare/exotic/ascended/legendary fish (but to be fair I'm exclusively focused on the legendary fish).  But what I also noticed while using the booster is that I caught FAR fewer fine/masterwork fish and FAR more rare fish. I may have erred in highlighting the Critical Crafting Gain Exp instead of the Magic Find, but either way I can confirm that you will catch far more of the legendary fish while using the boost. I can also confirm that while using the boost, I have yet to go through a Dusk/Dawn period where I didn't catch the fish specific to that time frame.  In fact in some instances I've caught as many as 5 of the dusk/dawn fish in that 5-minute window.

But again, as I am focused exclusively on catching the legendary fish, before using the boost, I would catch 2-5 legendary fish in 30 minutes.  When using the boost, I now routinely catch 6-12 legendary fish in 30 minutes, and once caught 19.  So I'd say using the Item boosters are well worth it.

Edited by Ronin.4501
grammatical error
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/20/2022 at 1:13 PM, Luthan.5236 said:

I guess if this is supposed to give more rare fish it will also give those rare other items on normal gathering on a crit. The main problem I have though at the moment:

Almost all normal fishing achievements finished going for the avid ones. Saltwater avid also almost finished (1 fish missing). But the world class one ... a lower tier one is missing - for the normal (1st time) achievement. "Armored Scalefish".

In regards to this, two things that might help.  For the Saltwater avid, give Rata Sum (Port Waypoint) a try. I've literally cleared an entire rotation of the Avid Saltwater collection in about 45 minutes once here (plus it's a goldmine for the Aquatic Treasure Collector items as well), which I have repeated 7 times so far (I guess you could say I do a fair amount of fishing lol).  As for the Armored Scalefish, try fishing in areas where there are Armored fish.  I know the World Class collection is supposed to be completely random, but I seem to catch these fairly regularly in areas where I see the Armored Fish https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armored_Fish

• Thanks 2

Sounds interesting. I will try the thing with the Armored Fish fo rthe Armored Scalefish. The randomness here seems pretty weird though. Read on Reddit old threads about people that needed 1000 catches to get one missing fish ... and it was about the venomfish or something like that. And in Kessex Hills. (Where it seems they nerfed a bit and back then you could get no normal Krytan Lakefish from that polluted nodes.) I got a ton of venomfish there.

Maybe it really is a bit related to the surroundings and this with the Armored Fish will work. (Since the venom seems to fit with the toxic alliance and the polluted theme.)

I have also seen like 4 or 5 legendary out of 15-20 catches in the desert a few days ago. Weird. For me it really seems mainly the lower quality fish of the world class (for Saltwater the avid also almost finished) ... and sometimes the Ascended where some seem more rare then legendary sometimes lol.

With the Dusk/Dawn I mainly got them with preparing (at least having "green" at the fishing nodes to make it easier = less time per catch = more catche in the short time ... which usually is possible without the fishing catches buff except in a few maps ... like Orr or so) and doing about 3-4 holes.  Only problem in maps with more t than 1 dusk/dawn where I could only get 1 per cycle. But it always seemed like they have a higher priority then. (Even though according to wiki Dusk/Dawn acts like daytime+nighttim as well - which actually should lower the chances since more outcomes are possible.)

I guess what helps a lot here with the item boost then: If you get 4-6 catches per node this will help a lot in optimizing the use of the short time window. (Less traveling between nodes.) For the dusk/dawn fish. That for sure will be a big help.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Sounds interesting. I will try the thing with the Armored Fish fo rthe Armored Scalefish. The randomness here seems pretty weird though. Read on Reddit old threads about people that needed 1000 catches to get one missing fish ... and it was about the venomfish or something like that. And in Kessex Hills. (Where it seems they nerfed a bit and back then you could get no normal Krytan Lakefish from that polluted nodes.) I got a ton of venomfish there.

Maybe it really is a bit related to the surroundings and this with the Armored Fish will work. (Since the venom seems to fit with the toxic alliance and the polluted theme.)

I tried Kessex Hills when fishing was still new (and no one really had any tips...for the first month or so I was doing A LOT of things wrong lol!) and only caught trash; literally the best thing I got from the map was the red herring.  A MUCH better spot is Fuller Cistern/Pig Iron Mine in Fireheart Rise.  This body of water offers both Noxious fish and Lake fish (Ascalon) AND Volcanic Fish (Ring of Fire) if you venture up the shallow creek that leads north towards Sloven Pitch and the Baelfire (albeit just 1-2 fishing holes).

I have also seen like 4 or 5 legendary out of 15-20 catches in the desert a few days ago. Weird. For me it really seems mainly the lower quality fish of the world class (for Saltwater the avid also almost finished) ... and sometimes the Ascended where some seem more rare then legendary sometimes lol.

Yeah I've run across this problem as well; catching the in-between exotic/ascended fish can sometimes seem a lot harder than catching the legendary fish. Unfortunately I can't do anything other than speculate as to whether having a higher fishing power actually makes it easier or harder to catch these fish. I actually caught the final fish (an ascended one) to complete the Kaineng collection again, and after I did I realized my lure had actually run out earlier and I had forgotten to replace it (I had maxed stacks, Item buff, and fishing food all up). But I can't verify that it helped or hurt lol.

With the Dusk/Dawn I mainly got them with preparing (at least having "green" at the fishing nodes to make it easier = less time per catch = more catche in the short time ... which usually is possible without the fishing catches buff except in a few maps ... like Orr or so) and doing about 3-4 holes.  Only problem in maps with more t than 1 dusk/dawn where I could only get 1 per cycle. But it always seemed like they have a higher priority then. (Even though according to wiki Dusk/Dawn acts like daytime+nighttim as well - which actually should lower the chances since more outcomes are possible.)

I can verify that during Dusk/Dawn you are able to catch both Daytime and Nighttime specific fish, as I've caught both on numerous occasions during this time period.  But here are a few other things that might be helpful in catching the Dusk/Dawn fish.  You mentioned preparing ahead by getting your fishing stacks up, but also, before you even start fishing on the map, ride around and take note of where the fishing nodes are grouped in that particular body of water.  In most maps there's usually at least 1 clump that are all close together, and this is the spot you'll want to use when Dusk/Dawn arrives. Also know that the fishing nodes (holes) refresh every 10 minutes RL time (2hrs in-game time) and won't change locations so long as you remain on the map (they're different for each instance of the map), so if you arrive early enough ahead and find the "clump" of fishing holes, you can use them earlier so long as it's 10 minutes RL (2hrs in-game time) before Dusk/Dawn.  Another thing that helps is having (assuming you have all your Skiff masteries) a good handle on operating your skiff. It helps to have https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skiff_Supercharger_3 or at least https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skiff_Supercharger_2 to enable you to get from one hole to the next as quick as possible. When you stop your skiff, always put it in 1st gear before you drop anchor.  This will A) allow you to turn your skiff the quickest from a stopped position and B) allow you to accelerate the quickest from a stopped position.  You'll want to shift to 2nd gear about 1-second after moving (basically just say "one one-thousand" to yourself then shift) in a straight line (don't shift if you're turning or you'll lose momentum).  I rarely use the 3rd gear while fishing unless I know already that there's a lot of distance to the next fishing hole, and even in 2nd gear I downshift to 1st while I'm still a good distance from the next fishing hole (about 1-inch on your mini map between your skiff and the fishing hole) so I can stop quickly near the fishing hole and drop anchor.

And if you fish a lot like me, try to have one alt who's geared up as best as possible for fishing.  I have such an alt, and this is what she carries:

https://imgur.com/ZXQN770

As you can see, I've got a stack of every type of bait (you don't see shrimp because I have it equipped; you'll also notice some baits are not full stacks, and that's because they sometimes drop from fish and I'm already limited on bag space so I try not to go over 1 stack of each. Specifically fish eggs, mackerel, shrimp, nightcrawlers and glow worms will all drop from fish or loot while you're fishing depending on the map), several lures, and also as you can see I try to carry at least 5 of every rare fish to trade at https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taro_Everclaw for the daily Ambergris (I tend to focus my fishing for legendary fish on 1-2 specific maps, so I carry all the rares so I don't have to spend time looking for them when they're the daily).

Here are a few other resources to use for fishing:

https://fishing.arrowmaster.info/01/multiclock.html#clock This is great if you want to see what time it is even if you're not in GW2.  Note it has both a Canthan and Tyrian clock you can toggle between if you haven't memorized when Dusk/Dawn is (sadly I have at this point lol).

https://www.peuresearchcenter.com/resources/fishing.php This is from someone who has put a LOT more research into fishing than I have!!  The one thing I'm looking into right now is someone yesterday mentioned to me that you have better luck catching certain legendary fish (ones that can be caught any time of day/night) at specific times (daytime/nighttime...NOT specific hours lol) and that certain areas of the map have "hotspots", meaning fishing nodes in one area of the map might have better yields than others.  While I've only tested this theory for an hour thus far, I DID notice that almost all the legendary fish I caught in that hour almost entirely came from one "hotspot" both times that I passed through the area (as I literally circumventing the entire water area of that map twice during the hour). I'm going to test this theory a bit more before I decide if it's actually valid or just speculation on someone else's part.

Anyways, hopefully all of this proves at least somewhat helpful, and I wish you the best of luck and HAPPY FISHING!!

Oh, before I go, I'll link this too just because I love sharing my little projects (sadly it has already been deleted, as skiff racing was not as promising as I had hoped it might be), but also because it'll further show some of what I was talking about when handling the skiff (I have the UI turned off but you can still hear the "ding-ding" as I'm upshifting and downshifting

Edited by Ronin.4501
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Certainly some interesting advice here - especially with the skiff. Have not tried to optimize a lot there. I often just try to have a route where I move forward ... using the boost and then quickly tryign to speed town (press backwards movement button ... S). Then again: Not really had problems with the dusk/dawn.

I mainly play my 1 main - with all bag slots unlocked. All main "trash" stored there. (Tons of boosters, WvW blueprints ... and now the fishing things.) Using only 1 of each bait. The lure only the 100 one - keeping 1 in replacement and 1 equipped. Not going for the daily trades. Once I finish the titles I guess I will stop. (I do the 4 for the EoD daily achievement ... and then more in that map - if still for title achievement needed. If not I skip to another map making slow progress. That way it won't feel to tedious. Tend to do this for most grindier stuff. That way I had no problem with getting the skyscale.)

I can say though: It really felt like this whole thing was developed with gem sales in mind. 😄 (Fishing rod skins and skiff skins. And of course the bag slots ... or another char slot. :D) My alt chars (2-9 - I have one of each profession) ... just move to all map completion and story slowly as I have time. Wikth the core bag slots (no other one unlocked) and like 15-18 slot bags - and still space there lol. 😄 (They do ont even gather. Can't be bothered to equip-re-equip the unlimited tools and swap them via the shared inventory as some people do.)

I think I have also remembered the times. Just need to remind the hour for day/night in core Tyria. (A quick ingame /time helps to know which real life time it is that is needed.) For Canthan time it helps to remember that it is same real life time ... the switching between  day/night (with the 5 min dusk/dawn in between).

The wiki should start to list the required daily fish for the Ambergris trade though - didn't know it was only rare. (Now I saw they are mentioning it.) Since they are listing the order of the previous ones and there seems no specific fixed order (?) ... you'd need to check this list taking note of every unique one ... to see which appear. But I guess it is all the possible rare one sof each region (except the saltwater/world class - as mentiond in wiki) - that appear? (With some regions having 3 and others 2 per region.) Compared to this the "Strange Diet" achievement only required 1 of the legendaries per region and normal desert afaik did not count (instead the desert isles).

I think I'd prefer the ring of fire - for dedicated fishing for the volcanic fish though. Basically easiest map since it is on a fixed timer - daytime only.. (And they fixed some fish where you had needed night-time ... with the need to go to that other map. You can just gather up your stacks and do a full run ... needed me almost to get enough catches to go to 99 stucks though but by that time I finished it and stayed at full stacks to get the harder ones for avid as well. Until I got bored.)

Krytan seems most annoying. Switching between ocean and a second map for river+lake. (I do not think there is a Krytan map with all 3 nodes and easy switching without having to wp? Or one with the 3 node types in the first place. On the other hand: More node types = less fish per node type. Less of the annoying randomness. I think I actually prefer it that way with more node types. Though the desert one still felt easy - despite having 1 node type for all the fish and 21 for that achievement. At least it lets you just stay in 1 map - upside there.) I guess a lot of people have different experiences. As you mentioned with the Kessex Hills where I saw totally different reports.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

The wiki should start to list the required daily fish for the Ambergris trade though - didn't know it was only rare. (Now I saw they are mentioning it.) Since they are listing the order of the previous ones and there seems no specific fixed order (?) ... you'd need to check this list taking note of every unique one ... to see which appear. But I guess it is all the possible rare one sof each region (except the saltwater/world class - as mentiond in wiki) - that appear? (With some regions having 3 and others 2 per region.) Compared to this the "Strange Diet" achievement only required 1 of the legendaries per region and normal desert afaik did not count (instead the desert isles).

As Inculpatus cedo mentioned, the list for the rare daily trade with Taro is actually on the wiki link I shared, but it's grown so long it's now on a drop-down menu that's toggled off.  But as you can see when checking the past trades, sometimes you'll get the same fish 3-4 days in a row (which is why I have 9 King Salmon rather than just 5 lol).

9 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

I think I'd prefer the ring of fire - for dedicated fishing for the volcanic fish though. Basically easiest map since it is on a fixed timer - daytime only.. (And they fixed some fish where you had needed night-time ... with the need to go to that other map. You can just gather up your stacks and do a full run ... needed me almost to get enough catches to go to 99 stucks though but by that time I finished it and stayed at full stacks to get the harder ones for avid as well. Until I got bored.)

Krytan seems most annoying. Switching between ocean and a second map for river+lake. (I do not think there is a Krytan map with all 3 nodes and easy switching without having to wp? Or one with the 3 node types in the first place. On the other hand: More node types = less fish per node type. Less of the annoying randomness. I think I actually prefer it that way with more node types. Though the desert one still felt easy - despite having 1 node type for all the fish and 21 for that achievement. At least it lets you just stay in 1 map - upside there.) I guess a lot of people have different experiences. As you mentioned with the Kessex Hills where I saw totally different reports.

I just mentioned the Fireheart Rise map because I try to maximize getting as much from any one map without losing my fishing stacks (as well as making the most of my Item boosters while they're active), so the ability to catch 3 different types of fish here makes it a great spot for me.

I do agree that they Krytan collection is somewhat annoying, but here are 2 tips that might prove helpful: Bloodtide Coast is primarily a saltwater Krytan map, but over in the creek in Firth of Revanion there are 2 river fishing holes in the creek itself and 2 more river fishing holes in the caverns to the east of the creek by Lostwreck Waypoint.  In Gendarran Fields, Lake Bounty/Lake Gendarr offer lake fishing holes, while the Witherflank River offers river fishing holes.  You can "safely" cross the expanse between the 2 without losing your fishing stacks by mounting up on your rollerbeetle right at the northwest shoreline of Lake Gendarr and using your boost to race across to the northern end of Witherflank River. I just recommend practicing it a few times before you actually start gaining your fishing stacks.

My interests in the game are relatively unrelated to one another, but I suppose most of my PvE play revolves around 1) supporting my main love in the game, which is WvW and 2) the other thing I enjoy, which is guildhall decorating (I both level and decorate the guildhalls solo; already decoration capped one and am working on leveling a 2nd guildhall up now so I can do the same in that one).  WvW is NOT a game-mode that will make you rich, and guildhall leveling/decorating is something that will make you very very poor lol.  Before fishing, I had no real means by which to make a lot of gold relatively quickly that wasn't time consuming/labor intensive (You can run various map metas to make gold, but you pretty much need to be active in them from start to finish, whereas fishing is relatively laid-back).  I've already made several thousand gold selling the Ambergris I get from fishing (which is why I focus exclusively on the legendary fish, do the daily trade with Taro, and do the fishing daily for the EoD dailies, as sometimes the chest yields Ambergris).  I also ended up getting into beetle racing as I needed to do the daily time trials for the tokens to buy the racetrack pieces, which are great for a number of uses in guildhall decorating.  I'm probably not your normal GW2 player, but to each their own!! 😁

4 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I keep all Rares in the bank, as he will pull from there, as well. 

Did not know this! (the game seems rather random as to what can be pulled from the vault and what can't. I wish the resource gobblers worked this way!!).  Unfortunately I probably have more space in my bags on my fishing alt than I do in my bank lol!  But once again, thank you for sharing!! I'm learning something new every day!!

• Like 1

Yes. I meant an actual list of fish that are used for the daily trades - not the history (that sometimes listes 2-3 of the same in a row). To get this you actually have to trust the "rare" (which the wiki mentions) - that it only are rare ... or checking the list manually for each unique fish that got listed there.

And for the vendor this makes sense - since it is a vendor. I think all vendors can use stuff from the bank. And crafting. Only mystic forge and NPCs collecting directly via dialogue (not some vendor window.) Then again: The other char would still have to move to the bank. (That way he could just move to arborstone as well - since it is basically free with the scroll.) Unless you have some unlimited bank contract. (Or fishing in zones where there is such an NPC or the crafting stations. Lounges, guild halls and the starter zones where the crafting mini villages are.)

Edit: Quickly checking from a few of the regional achievements for their rares - for all it says that they are sometimes needed for Taro. (So I guess there are no exceptions and it is all rare fish from all regions.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

On 7/23/2022 at 1:43 PM, Luthan.5236 said:

Edit: Quickly checking from a few of the regional achievements for their rares - for all it says that they are sometimes needed for Taro. (So I guess there are no exceptions and it is all rare fish from all regions.)

Yeah as far as I know the list includes ALL the rare fish.  Even if there's 1-2 that haven't been chosen as of yet, it's likely at some point in the future they will be.

Dear Anet, 

Is it possible to increase the droprate of the fish required for World Class Fisher?  For the past 3 or 4 weeks I have been stuck needing only 3 fish for my 'Cod Swimming Among Mere Minnows' achievement, and they're all in Avid World Class Fisher.  I'm at my wits' end trying to catch them.  Most days I fish, trying a new map each day in case there's some leaning towards catching certain fish in certain maps (although it says it's completely random); I have tried getting 50+ stacks, I have tried shorter sessions of about 25 stacks, and yesterday I made well over 100 casts - and nothing.  I hadn't much trouble even with Saltwater Fisher x 2 (I know people used to complain about this one).  At least with Salt Water you have some kind of parameter to advise you where to look.  And Dusk and Dawn came with a little patience.  But now I wonder how I can possibly finish the achievement.  I still need 3; just imagine if I got down to just 1.  How long would that take?  I'd give up if it wasn't for the amount of time I've spent getting so far.....

Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem?  For info, the fish I need are Goldfish, Bloodfish and Clawfish.

• Sad 1