Will they allow us to migrate to Steam?

2 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Steam has very robust social functionality, like:

Automatic cloud hosting of screenshots captured in game.

The ability for friends to see exactly what you're doing in game (Destiny 2 does this really well, saying if people are raiding or playing strikes or dungeons), then have them join you in that activity from outside of the game.

Steam Chat allows people to chat to you in-game, even if they're not in game with you, either via the overlay and text messaging or through voice.

It allows you to stream your gameplay.

It allows you to run groups, so you could effectively have a dedicated Steam community for your guild.

Access to guides directly in game via the overlay.

And if your game allows it, access to mods which can be kept up-to-date automatically when hosted on the Workshop. I could see this being fantastic for stuff like TACO and ArcDPS if ANet implement Workshop support.

Funny I have all these features pretty much now, just by running gw2 inside steam.

Recent screenshots if you don't believe me.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/sinisterslay/screenshots/

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

ALL these features

*shows a single feature*

It's also showing friends, streaming, works with in home streaming, I use my steam controller regularly.

The only thing missing is achievements. And why care about achievements that don't give anything when in game achievements already exist and give actual rewards?

It's even doing the shader cache optimization.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

You have screenshots, chat and groups.

You don't have activity updates, streaming, guides via Overlay or Workshop support.

That's hardly "all of these features pretty much now".

Try to threadsnipe somewhere else.

Streaming works just fine. Guides work just fine, overlay works just fine. I use it all the time to follow YouTube guides.  If anyone wants to post guides on steam they can do so right now. But there is already established wikis for this, so why bother?

And workshop support? Your never getting workshop support in an MMO. Your in the wrong multiverse if you're expecting that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Streaming works just fine. Guides work just fine, overlay works just fine. I use it all the time to follow YouTube guides.  If anyone wants to post guides on steam they can do so right now. But there is already established wikis for this, so why bother?

And workshop support? Your never getting workshop support in an MMO. Your in the wrong multiverse if you're expecting that.

This is a little disingenuous.

While I haven't tried streaming myself with GW2 (although if you're streaming to an anonymous audience, I'm sure discoverability will be a problem if you're playing a game that's not on Steam yet, as your streams won't appear in the non-existent community), I can certainly say that there are no GW2 specific guides on Steam because GW2 isn't on Steam yet. And guides in overlays will work better for a lot of people than alt-tabbing out to a Wiki. If nothing else, a lot of people experience system instability when alt-tabbing out of a full-screen game to a web browser (tip for those that do have problems with this: Full Screen Borderless Window). This isn't really an issue for people with 2+ monitors, but the overlay and access to game specific guides without alt-tabbing will be valuable to a LOT of people.

And I already outlined a plausible use for Workshop integration in GW2 that you conveniently glossed over.

TACO and ArcDPS could be installed through the workshop and updated automatically instead of having to download and install them every time.

While we're not going to see custom skins or maps in a GW2 workshop, anything that can be done with the APIs ANet have made publicly available is prime fodder for the Workshop.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
ARRRR!
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

This is a little disingenuous.

While I haven't tried streaming myself with GW2 (although if you're streaming to an anonymous audience, I'm sure discoverability will be a problem if you're playing a game that's not on Steam yet, as your streams won't appear in the non-existent community), I can certainly say that there are no GW2 specific guides on Steam because GW2 isn't on Steam yet. And guides in overlays will work better for a lot of people than alt-tabbing out to a Wiki. If nothing else, a lot of people experience system instability when alt-tabbing out of a full-screen game to a web browser (tip for those that do have problems with this: Full Screen Borderless Window). This isn't really an issue for people with 2+ monitors, but the overlay and access to game specific guides without alt-tabbing will be valuable to a LOT of people.

And I already outlined a plausible use for Workshop integration in GW2 that you conveniently glossed over.

TACO and ArcDPS could be installed through the workshop and updated automatically instead of having to download and install them every time.

While we're not going to see custom skins or maps in a GW2 workshop, anything that can be done with the APIs ANet have made publicly available is prime fodder for the Workshop.

Your right that discoverability is non existent, I've never cared since your not going to earn money from it anyways, but sure.

But why are you alt tabbing? Just bring up the steam overlay and click browser. You get a chrome browser right there that you can do whatever you want, you can keep it open and continuously show and hide the overlay as needed. It works really well. 

Also, the game is on steam, just unreleased, but the community section is there, full of trolls, and ready for guides to be added.

And there is no way any company would ever make a workshop with directX dll code injection hacks. That's such a huge liability.  I'm not glossing  over it, I'm being realistic. Your taking a calculated risk when you use those mods. Hoping the mod writer is honest. Anet has no obligation to make such a leap of faith. They don't want the headlines that the next ransomware outbreaks happened because of them. Or a hidden bitcoin miner.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I already launch GW2 with Steam and use it to take screenshots. It would be nice to be able to buy gems on Steam though for the extra perks. Even nicer if Steam version instantly opens to character selection. So I would migrate if possible.

I notice people mentioning Steam fees. Keep in mind Steam is probably the best place on the internet to have your game advertised. Which is something GW2 has pretty much none of these past 10 years and why every time you meet a new person their first response when they find out you play it is "I thought that game was dead" or "never heard of it."

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, XenMaster.7165 said:

Like ya know, so you can keep your account instead buying another all dlc from scratch.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ

No, you cannot transfer a Guild Wars 2 account created through the Guild Wars 2 website to Steam and vice versa.”

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Steam has very robust social functionality, like:

Automatic cloud hosting of screenshots captured in game.

The ability for friends to see exactly what you're doing in game (Destiny 2 does this really well, saying if people are raiding or playing strikes or dungeons), then have them join you in that activity from outside of the game.

Steam Chat allows people to chat to you in-game, even if they're not in game with you, either via the overlay and text messaging or through voice.

It allows you to stream your gameplay.

It allows you to run groups, so you could effectively have a dedicated Steam community for your guild.

Access to guides directly in game via the overlay.

And if your game allows it, access to mods which can be kept up-to-date automatically when hosted on the Workshop. I could see this being fantastic for stuff like TACO and ArcDPS if ANet implement Workshop support.

Discord does this. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

How will the steam release work actually?

When Path of Exile released on steam, I still had to use my poe account for it. So I installed the game via steam eventually (deleting my other install) and basically the steam crap worked from that point on (ingame hours, achievements, etc.). Warframe I think works similarly, I still use my warframe account and not my steam account.

From this thread I get the impression that GW2 will only let you login with your steam account, if installed via steam?

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

How will the steam release work actually?

When Path of Exile released on steam, I still had to use my poe account for it. So I installed the game via steam eventually (deleting my other install) and basically the steam crap worked from that point on (ingame hours, achievements, etc.). Warframe I think works similarly, I still use my warframe account and not my steam account.

From this thread I get the impression that GW2 will only let you login with your steam account, if installed via steam?

I've seen a few MMOs come to steam and usually it requires you to link your account in some way. Like your steam account links to an anet account.

If I was writing this, I would add command line parameters to the game launcher to accept a steam ID they would then be authenticated to the steam api like other stores do. This would return a token ID that I would then associate with an account that gets automatically created when the link is first made.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Much as Cyninja said.

It shouldn't really affect anyone in the long run though.

The only thing that would bug me about not being able to convert my account is if the steam release ends up getting steam achievements (which I highly doubt it will)

That's the only thing I would want to play Gw2 on steam for tbh and would annoy me that I couldn't convert my account to get them.

It actually does make a lot of difference for some players, especially if you are in the countries NCSOFT deems "untrustworthy" - and there's actually a lot of those. Every time I want to buy gems, I have to submit ticket no matter how many LITERAL THOUSANDS of dollars I have already spent. It gets to the points where I don't even have to explain my issue to CS anymore and they know exactly what to do. 

Allowing steam link might actually increase their revenue because of this stupid policy.  Also, steam link is a common thing for many mmos.

Edited by DavyMcB.1603
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, DavyMcB.1603 said:

It actually does make a lot of difference for some players, especially if you are in the countries NCSOFT deems "untrustworthy" - and there's actually a lot of those. Every time I want to buy gems, I have to submit ticket no matter how many LITERAL THOUSANDS of dollars I have already spent. It gets to the points where I don't even have to explain my issue to CS anymore and they know exactly what to do. 

Allowing steam link might actually increase their revenue because of this stupid policy.  Also, steam link is a common thing for many mmos.

Cant you just use a ftp account on steam and gift your main stuff?

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Cant you just use a ftp account on steam and gift your main stuff?

no, they block all transactions from entire countries for some countries, even if you use global banks for your cards. I was being angry with CS with this before because of the bs of having to submit ticket for literally every time I have to buy gems and they explained that this is "security" mandate by NCSOFT. 

Edit: woops, I misread. I suppose it's possible but that's just another type of bs and hoops. Imagine running a company where your customers need permission to buy your things lmao 

Edited by DavyMcB.1603

Here is the answer from last year:

On 8/25/2020 at 12:05 PM, Butterfly Kingdom.8349 said:

UPDATEDGuild Wars 2 Steam Release News

On today's anniversary livestream, we announced that Guild Wars 2 is coming to Steam in November. We look forward to welcoming even more players to Tyria to join our community!If you log in through Steam, you'll still play alongside your fellow Tyrians on the same maps and servers (select NA or EU). Whether you choose to log in through Steam or the Guild Wars 2 launcher, everyone plays together! However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.Stay up to date on the latest news by visiting our official Steam page and wishlisting Guild Wars 2.

It wasn't difficult to find with a simple forums search.

Edited by kharmin.7683
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Isn't there a more recent post on the Steam release, as it surely did not release in November of 2020.  (Wasn't last year, but the year before.)

I didn't find a more recent post that spoke to the question of this thread (migrating accounts to steam).

• Confused 1