Any Tips for the Skyscale Saddle grind?

I'm deep in the Skyscale Saddle grind and was wondering if anyone had any tips to speed this up. After doing some online research, as near as I can tell doing certain events might generate some materials, but not much, and that's if there are enough other players around to be able to participate in them. Maybe 5 material per event?

It looks like there are achievement chains that will pay out 250 material (at least, there was one for Diflourite; I assume each of the materials has one), but I couldn't begin to wrap my head around all the things I'd need to do to get there and figured out my material-per-hour return would be better just running around like a zombie harvesting nodes. 

I can go to Pact Command at Dragonfall at get 5 of each material, per day. I have a Season 4 board, but that seems to generate only a small number of materials daily.

So as near as I can tell, my best bet is running around the zones to harvest the nodes that I find. This works, but is very slow. 

Is it better to go after Eternal Ice, and buy the materials this way? This is what I did to finish off the Kralkatite requirement, but the rest of the materials only generate 10 material per 75 Eternal Ice. I did a rough calculation of how much Eternal Ice I'd need to finish out my remaining collections this way: 6,375. Even with Eternal Ice nodes generating a better yield per harvest, this seems a bit much.

What did you do to get through this? Did you just grind this out, day after day, or are there way to increase yield that I'm missing? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If you check your side stories tab, there is a "Return to" achievement for every LS4 episode that awards 250 of each material for reaching tier 3 of the meta achievement. Meaning you mainly have to play through the story instances again.

Actually not all of them and for some of them (especially Jahai Bluffs) you can even cut corners a lot by selecting check points near the end for replaying if you do it on a character that has already done the story.

After the story instances there is the node farm (farming 10-15 nodes on the map of each type) and depending on the map, you might already be there or only have 1 or 2 achievements left to get to tier 3 so pick the ones that are easiest for you. Could be the meta-event on the map, doing hearts or whatever. In any case it lets you avoid the tedious ones (like doing 12 bounties in Sandswept Isles)

On Skyscale release, the fastest option depended on the map, for some it was hearts + map completion (up to 45 per character depending on the map), for others events, for others node farm, in Istan you could do meteor farm. Right now, Eternal Ice conversion is most certainly faster than trying to farm nodes, especially because the amount of nodes you can farm is typically capped per account per day. You get a ton of Eternal Ice from meta events and especially IBS strike missions if you do them.
As an example, Dragon Crystal Nodes (Thunderhead Peaks) are capped to 25 per day. You are not guaranteed a drop from every single strike, meaning you can maybe farm 30-40 in a single day from just nodes. Meanwhile full Bjora Marches node farm for Ice Shards yields 200+, so you can exchange that for another 30. A single IBS strike mission yields around 70 Eternal Ice Shards and there are many groups completing the 3 "easy ones"  daily which makes for close to 30 with a completion time of maybe 20-30 minutes.
So if you don't want to do the Return To achievements, you probably want to finish the farmable ones with just node farm and for the other ones, use a combination of exchanging eternal ice shards and map completion while farming the nodes you can find during that.
Mistborn Motes are farmable for example cause they're guaranteed to drop and the cap is at 50 per day per account while something like Branded Masses are not really (not guaranteed to drop, lower node cap).

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Endaris, this is super helpful. I'll look into these Return To achievements more; I just wasn't following what it all meant, but if it's playing through missions again and then being able to cross off an entire collection, that might be a good way to do this. Certain more entertaining than my current methods. Mainly I'm just looking to have fun with this, and there's a lot of fun not to be had without really understanding the ins and outs of how to game this.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Squeesidhe.4761 said:

being able to cross off an entire collection

Well, you won't be able to immediately cross off the collections.

As I mentioned, the stack of materials is rewarded for getting to tier 3 of each Return To meta achievement. They do have 4 tiers though. Completing them is definitely still worth it because they award a lot of achievement points, a plasma weapon skin and progress a different meta achievement that awards you with a legendary amulet upon completing all Return To achievements. But that's a different goal than your skyscale.

The fact that you only need to reach tier 3 means that you can cherry pick the sub achievements and do the ones that take you the least time (or are most enjoyable) to reach tier 3. As mentioned, there are some that can be tedious like completing 12 bounties in Sandswept Isles, completing 30 events in Dragonfall or defeating Vemyen in Jahai Bluffs (although the latter might still have its uses if you haven't done it yet for the Sun's Refuge collection).

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Squeesidhe.4761 said:

What did you do to get through this?

I went very slow. The entire process of obtaining the Skyscale took me around 3 months ( I had planned on taking more time but getting the mats when faster than I had anticipated). The saddle took me about 1.5 months. Some people enjoy the old school MMO grind and they can knock it out really fast. I took the opposite approach. I only wanted to spend at most 15 minutes of my playtime working on the mount. I set a weekly goal for the 6? materials needed for the saddle. Every time I logged in I did a Renowned Heart (to buy some materials) and did a little mining/chest opening. Sometimes I would get caught up in a meta-event which rewarded a material that I needed.

The above was basically my process. I didn't know about the "Return to Living World" achievements. A lot of people grind it out as fast as they can. But, I didn't want to feel burnt out when I finally got the mount. That is how I got through the process (without going crazy).

Good luck.

Edited by dizzy.9263
  • Like 1

I kept just spending time on the maps and getting currency bit by bit.. redoing the story on the side and getting the 'return to' achievements. Pretty much on every map I ended up finishing the 'return to' achievement tier 3 before reaching the 250 currency by normal play.

Do your harvest all the resource nodes at your home  and guild hall instances everyday? Have you added resource nodes to your home instance? If not, I recommend maxxing the nodes out at each and harvest from them everyday. That'll save time from having to find those resources since they'll respawn at those two instances everyday.

56 minutes ago, phaserBanks.7386 said:

Do your harvest all the resource nodes at your home  and guild hall instances everyday? Have you added resource nodes to your home instance? If not, I recommend maxxing the nodes out at each and harvest from them everyday. That'll save time from having to find those resources since they'll respawn at those two instances everyday.

Not needed anymore after the season of the dragon achievements added last year.

• Like 1

Personally I had all the mats by the time I needed them - cause I played everything in release order trying to enjoy the maps and doing the other achievements there. Even when directly going for skyscale ... it might be feasible to try a few of the optional other achievements on the season 4 maps. And while doing so ... gathering up the nodes and splitting the stuff over a few days  not everything at once. Switch between the maps so it won't get boring. (Not ... 250 of one ... then starting the next one.)

The 5 you can buy at dragonfall vendor have already been mentioned. Then there is bjora - trading the ice shards. Needs 75 per 10 or so of the s4 currency. But you gain a ton of iceshards super fast. Some karma is needed there additionalyl though to buy/convert.

The "return to" achievements get you alot of some map currency. I don't know when they are unlocked. Wiki has the info. I guess you'd need to complete last story step of Icebrood to unlock that ones? They basically let you do certain stuff on those older maps again - like doing some events or jumping puzzle or stuff like that.

Edited by Luthan.5236

At the time, I parked a handful of alts at the easiest heart in one zone. Each log in I’d run the heart on those characters, buy the currency, then play on my main for the set of the session. Once I had enough of that currency, I moved my alts to the next zone and repeated.

That spread the grind out and it didn’t feel onerous.

Now that the return to LW achievements are in the game, though, it’s worth it to do those. You get the currencies, and will be on your way to a legendary weapon precursor, a 32 slot bag, and the easiest/cheapest legendary in the game, an amulet.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

I guess you'd need to complete last story step of Icebrood to unlock that ones?

You actually don't, I started on Return To achievements way before I finished the last bits of the Champions story.

While there is some minor lore integration for this and finishing Champions is required to do some of the related "Talk to Taimi" achievements, the Return To achievements are standard unlocked and players are able to progress the achievements even upon playing through the story for the first time.

• Like 2

Then it should be even more convenient. You should only get into trouble with the skyscale requirements ... if you rush exteeeeeemely or if you actually use the currency from the achievements to buy other stuff (minis) on the vendors without knowing that you might want to keep some.

• Like 1

Getting the Skyscale took me about 5 weeks. I don't remember the saddle grind, but I do remember that as soon as I found any part of getting a Skyscale cumbersome or frustrating, I would move on to something else and come back to it later. This helped me really focus with determination when I returned to a task I didnt like much. 

Good luck.

• Like 1