The Truth About Bladesworn in PvP

CalmTheStorm.2364

It's actually really, really good you guys.

Don't get me wrong; it's still clunky and overall poorly designed and completely buoyed by bloated shout healing and Unyielding Dragon.  But it performs really well.

This is the build I've been using:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAc6llyuYYsQmLOUTtxSA-zZoPjelAZsAMxA

Some highlights:

~95% critical chance (with Fury and thanks to our nifty new +5% crit chance on Pinnacle of Strength)

Tremendous might generation (leading to BIG damage and decent sustain from MMR and MM)

loads of healing from shouts and combat stimulant

"Panic Button" in the form of Endure Pain

For the first time in my two years of playing Warrior, I actually feel like a kitten bullying people around the map.  It plays like what I expect a Warrior to play like: shrugging off tons of damage to thrash people in melee range.  I'm smacking people with big hit after big hit and making them run (or respawn).  

It. Feels. Glorious.  I imagine this is how Necro and Guardian mains feel every single day, but it's a new feeling for this Warrior main, and I am loving it.

For all of its many flaws, Bladesworn is currently offering Warriors a true bruiser that actually works and holds up well even against the other overtuned EOD specs.

Enjoy it, my friends.  This is our moment, and heaven only knows how long it will last or when it will come again.  

• Thanks 5

I watched some videos in PoV of the war (hade) and someone who played against it (grimjack on his weaver or catalyst, not sure right now).

While the danage is good for competitive environment because you have such high might and run glass stats, the sustain on the other hand is pretty stupid. Especially when you consider that everything is in your traits. Mobility is quite good because you can just spam 1 charge boosts but kitten it seems unfun to play against.

Like when they spam shouts and heal themself for thousands of hp and you can do absolutely nothing against it because no cast time or anything. And since literally almost every trait sustains you in some way... 

You gotta hand it to warrior. Its group support is bad but its self sustain is solid. Too bad its unhealthy on BS because of tactical Reload.

Edited by anbujackson.9564

As respects meta performance, it's good. But if that was the only criteria I needed to justify playing a build I'd be on Harbinger or something. 

Mechanically, I want to play warrior instead of compensating for clunky design and additional rooting with "every utility button you press heals you". I am glad some people are finding enjoyment in it, but at the end of the day-

Enjoy it, my friends.  This is our moment, and heaven only knows how long it will last or when it will come again.  

I respectfully decline. I'd like to win, but not by becoming a parody of what drew me to warrior to begin with.

It's also singlehandedly carried by the current balancing of shouts (as noted above). If you meet the whine threshold it will be disastrously easy to send every bladesworn to the shadow realm by adjusting the shout healing coefficient. 

Which, given what they think about vindicator...

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, anbujackson.9564 said:

I watched some videos in PoV of the war (hade) and someone who played against it (grimjack on his weaver or catalyst, not sure right now).

While the danage is good for competitive environment because you have such high might and run glass stats, the sustain on the other hand is pretty stupid. Especially when you consider that everything is in your traits. Mobility is quite good because you can just spam 1 charge boosts but kitten it seems unfun to play against.

Like when they spam shouts and heal themself for thousands of hp and you can do absolutely nothing against it because no cast time or anything. And since literally almost every trait sustains you in some way... 

You gotta hand it to warrior. Its group support is bad but its self sustain is solid. Too bad its unhealthy on BS because of tactical Reload.

It's not super fun to fight against, that's true.  However, tbh, I'd rather fight against a bladesworn than most other EOD specs.  Here's the thing about bladesworn:  It's really, really strong, but it's also ridiculously honest and straightforward.  If it deletes you, it's because you ate 3 artillery slashes to the face and a DS Boost.  It will never a) delete you from stealth, b) disengage at will and restart the fight until it wins, c) spam invuln, blind, blocks, and teleports,  d.) sic a pet or other AI minions on you, or e.) kite you forever while spamming ranged condi autos and/or abusing traps with rune of the trapper.  BS is going to come right at you, shrug off a lot of your damage, and beat the snot out of you if you don't get out of the way.  It's actually more true to classic Warrior role-play than hit-and-run, dip-and-duck, whirlwind attack-and-FC style of play we've become accustomed to over the past 9 years.

If you're looking for a bladesworn killer, I recommend this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKABw+lzlJwoYYsEmJeaX+tVA-zZwKkEKgIDhMzAHGA

This is what I like to run when I'm not playing BS.  The wealth of reflects give you the ability to neutralize some of BS's projectile spam.  BS is also somewhat susceptible to conditions (less so if they are running Rune of the Solider, which is fairly popular I think) and to CC, and you have lots of both on this build.  Your high toughness gives you a better chance to survive their burst if you get caught by a DS or a couple of artillery slashes.  It's a tough fight, but doable.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

All it will take to reverse your opinion on it would be for Tactical Reload to be nerfed to only work on Bladesworn skills.

Yup, that would hurt quite a bit.  

To be clear, I am NOT advocating for the current state of affairs.  I think it would be healthier for the game if Vigorous Shouts required significant healing power to get good results and Defense were reworked to be the "Selfish" sustain line that focused on damage reduction and active defenses.

Since that seems to be a bit of a pipe dream at this point, a reasonable compromise would be to reduce Tactical Reload CD to 40s but have it only apply to Armaments and Gunsaber skills.  This still boosts your sustain because it recharges Combat Stimulant, but you wouldn't be spamming CS, FGJ, and Shake It Off on rotation for near immortality.   But honestly, I would hold off on making any changes until BS starts taking over the meta.  It's still been absent in high level play in all of the past MATs  since EOD dropped, and frankly, its about kitten time Warrior was meta again.  I'm sure the sky won't fall if teams start giving up one of their two harbingers to take a BS instead.  

Edited by CalmTheStorm.2364

1 hour ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

It's actually really, really good you guys.

Don't get me wrong; it's still clunky and overall poorly designed and completely buoyed by bloated shout healing and Unyielding Dragon.  But it performs really well.

This is the build I've been using:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAc6llyuYYsQmLOUTtxSA-zZoPjelAZsAMxA

Some highlights:

~95% critical chance (with Fury and thanks to our nifty new +5% crit chance on Pinnacle of Strength)

Tremendous might generation (leading to BIG damage and decent sustain from MMR and MM)

loads of healing from shouts and combat stimulant

"Panic Button" in the form of Endure Pain

For the first time in my two years of playing Warrior, I actually feel like a kitten bullying people around the map.  It plays like what I expect a Warrior to play like: shrugging off tons of damage to thrash people in melee range.  I'm smacking people with big hit after big hit and making them run (or respawn).  

It. Feels. Glorious.  I imagine this is how Necro and Guardian mains feel every single day, but it's a new feeling for this Warrior main, and I am loving it.

For all of its many flaws, Bladesworn is currently offering Warriors a true bruiser that actually works and holds up well even against the other overtuned EOD specs.

NOPE. I will never embrace clunksworn. Number one, that would mean actually buying this expansion. (Hah! Yeah right! I'll keep my 30 bucks, thanks!) Two, I don't even care about temporary days in the sun anymore or whether it fits into this current "meta". Plus, I will echo Lan Deathrider here:

20 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

All it will take to reverse your opinion on it would be for Tactical Reload to be nerfed to only work on Bladesworn skills.

And even then, you're still limiting your utility skills right out the gate. Bladesworn is nothing but promises with strings attached. High damage and sustainability at the cost of movement. Better shouts at the cost of non-shout utilities. The gun saber at the cost of the fundamental warrior mechanic of weapon-swapping.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

yea, it's still boring and clunky bad spec that's carried by over buffed numbers,

because you are basically face tanking everything most of the time and require little effort,

when this build gets slightest chance in a more competitive environment it's gonna get hard shaved so fast, you won't even see it coming.

i wouldn't recommend investing any time on this build, not going to improve your skill, nor will it last.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

NOPE. I will never embrace clunksworn. Number one, that would mean actually buying this expansion. (Hah! Yeah right! I'll keep my 30 bucks, thanks!) Two, I don't even care about temporary days in the sun anymore or whether it fits into this current "meta". Plus, I will echo Lan Deathrider here:

And even then, you're still limiting your utility skills right out the gate. Bladesworn is nothing but promises with strings attached. High damage and sustainability at the cost of movement. Better shouts at the cost of non-shout utilities. The gun saber at the cost of the fundamental warrior mechanic of weapon-swapping.

🤷‍♂️ Suit yourself, my dude.

As I have said numerous times before (including several in this thread), Bladesworn has numerous design flaws. But you know what? So does the entire warrior profession (see the omnibus for their enumeration and discussion thereof).

I didn't make this thread to say "BS is totally fine! Way to go ANet!"  I made this thread because I've been giving BS a chance, and with practice (and more than a little inspiration from streamers like Vallun, Hadi, and Vaans), I've come to find that it's not as bad as I once thought. And, more than that, I've been having FUN--something I have not always been able to say about my Warrior PvP experience.

If you absolutely hate it, don't play it. No shame in that.  But there are no merit badges or brownie points for steadfastly refusing to play a spec because you disagree with some of the design choices. I'd recommend giving it another go if you haven't recently. You might be surprised.

Anyway, you all might enjoy this video by Vallun. Great PvP match at the end.

https://youtu.be/Q9zOed99008

• Thanks 2

🤷‍♂️ Suit yourself, my dude.

As I have said numerous times before (including several in this thread), Bladesworn has numerous design flaws. But you know what? So does the entire warrior profession (see the omnibus for their enumeration and discussion thereof).

I didn't make this thread to say "BS is totally fine! Way to go ANet!"  I made this thread because I've been giving BS a chance, and with practice (and more than a little inspiration from streamers like Vallun, Hadi, and Vaans), I've come to find that it's not as bad as I once thought. And, more than that, I've been having FUN--something I have not always been able to say about my Warrior PvP experience.

If you absolutely hate it, don't play it. No shame in that.  But there are no merit badges or brownie points for steadfastly refusing to play a spec because you disagree with some of the design choices. I'd recommend giving it another go if you haven't recently. You might be surprised.

Anyway, you all might enjoy this video by Vallun. Great PvP match at the end.

https://youtu.be/Q9zOed99008

It's got nothing to do with brownie points. I got nothing to gain by sticking it to Anet besides +30 more dollars in my pocket. That's it. What I do is speak with my wallet and put my money where my mouth is. Out of simple principle, I don't want to enable the current hot mess that is gw2 class balance and game play. Game play is the hamburger meat, and Anet didn't cook it right! Not as bad, eh? Let me mention the following then. With bladesworn you give up:

- Weapon-swapping (this is a no no!)

- Non-utility skills (traits mostly focus on ammo skills(shouts))

- Mobility (Dragon Trigger sucks...)

- Adrenaline (Flow is a worse version of adrenaline. With adrenaline, you can get it from any warrior spec. Flow, you can improve gains via Bladesworn)

All of that is traded for....higher damage and sustainability. Which is something that warrior has historically had in the past. It's nothing special. But now, you get it...without the above....! Tradeoffs my foot. Anet is essentially SELLING YOU BACK the functionality you USED TO HAVE. Also, I suggest not getting too influenced by streamers, even the reliable ones or ones you like. Do the homework. Analyze it for what it is.

Not telling you what to do to have fun, of course, but don't just blindly accept the talking points. Even if they do come off as "reasonable".

No. No thanks. I've seen enough. I'll keep my 30 bucks.

Edited by JTGuevara.9018
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

It's got nothing to do with brownie points. I got nothing to gain by sticking it to Anet besides +30 more dollars in my pocket. That's it. What I do is speak with my wallet and put my money where my mouth is. Out of simple principle, I don't want to enable the current hot mess that is gw2 class balance and game play. Game play is the hamburger meat, and Anet didn't cook it right! Not as bad, eh? Let me mention the following then. With bladesworn you give up:

- Weapon-swapping (this is a no no!)

- Non-utility skills (traits mostly focus on ammo skills(shouts))

- Mobility (Dragon Trigger sucks...)

- Adrenaline (Flow is a worse version of adrenaline. With adrenaline, you can get it from any warrior spec. Flow, you can improve gains via Bladesworn)

All of that is traded for....higher damage and sustainability. Which is something that warrior has historically had in the past. It's nothing special. But now, you get it...without the above....! Tradeoffs my foot. Anet is essentially SELLING YOU BACK the functionality you USED TO HAVE. Also, I suggest not getting too influenced by streamers, even the reliable ones or ones you like. Do the homework. Analyze it for what it is.

Not telling you what to do to have fun, of course, but don't just blindly accept the talking points. Even if they do come off as "reasonable".

No. No thanks. I've seen enough. I'll keep my 30 bucks.

You do you, my friend.

The one thing I do take exception to is the insinuation that I am "blindly accepting the talking points" or opinions of others. I DID do the homework. I DID analyze it for what it is. That is MY custom build that I posted in the OP.  If you don't want in on the action, that's cool. Again, you do you. This post is for the folks who are willing to give BS a try AS IS, warts and all. My hope is that my experiences of success might help others find enjoyment in this spec and in this game mode. 

• Thanks 1

@CalmTheStorm.2364 i do enjoy the spec just in pve cause you need somewhat skill to play it good there. In pvp however i feel like i fall asleep while playing it. Its slow af feeling cause of self root. And its hard carried by skills that are instant casting self heals. 

Its a fair done spec and some enjoy it however as it is now in pvp it isnt healthy cause you are basicly carried by how shouts in general + tactical reload works. Should see some nerfs (to tactical reload of course) but well we will see how it will become in the future xd

You do you, my friend.

The one thing I do take exception to is the insinuation that I am "blindly accepting the talking points" or opinions of others. I DID do the homework. I DID analyze it for what it is. That is MY custom build that I posted in the OP.  If you don't want in on the action, that's cool. Again, you do you. This post is for the folks who are willing to give BS a try AS IS, warts and all. My hope is that my experiences of success might help others find enjoyment in this spec and in this game mode. 

Fair enough, then. Well..enjoy the usual post-expansion honeymoon high while it lasts then. Just don't land on your head! Heed the words of Azure and Lan: bladesworn is on an unstable tightrope.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Fair enough, then. Well..enjoy the usual post-expansion honeymoon high while it lasts then. Just don't land on your head! Heed the words of Azure and Lan: bladesworn is on an unstable tightrope.

You can see the careful planning they are doing with the recent update to TR. Making it charge DS faster for the next whatever seconds. I'm actually surprised that they did not remove the ammo recharge portion when they did that. Means they are being careful to not outright break it immediately.

I bet that once they have their statistics on it's new usage that they'll kneecap the ammo recharge portion, either by removing it entirely, or by limiting it to BSW only ammo skills.

1 hour ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Yes, go forth. 

But let no one convince you warrior is balanced because of bladesworns existence. Remember how precariously shoutsworn is perched.

Yup. Remember that warrior sacrifices more than it gains from bladesworn. This will be evident in the future when bladesworn loses those high damage and healing numbers thanks to the next round of specs for the 4th expansion come out and the current ones get nerfed to make the new ones look good. We've been through this before.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Yup. Remember that warrior sacrifices more than it gains from bladesworn. This will be evident in the future when bladesworn loses those high damage and healing numbers thanks to the next round of specs for the 4th expansion come out and the current ones get nerfed to make the new ones look good. We've been through this before.

That didn't work out till the banner patch on Berserker in PVE, everyone played axe choppy over the clunker even though it did less DPS on bench golem, probably cause it was more consistent on bosses with mechanics. Anet didn't like that so now we are on 2 good builds down from 5, amazing balance. 

• Sad 1

Well they gave it significant buffs how many times now since eod drop. 3 times I think? Maybe I missed something. I hope it performs well after all those.

I assume its still garbage in wvw roaming but thats more on non-bursty powerbuilds being useless due to cele. And to me it doesn't have the gameplay I enjoy on war. Its like core+ but without evading dmg.

And honestly fighting it is like watching the paint dry. It has like 3 different crutches to support the "gameplay" and I just roll my eyes every time I have to fight one on a node (still better than the bunker vindicator ofc, hope that got deleted for good last patch). Take 1 of those crutches away and it falls apart.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

This just in...

BlAdEsWoRn Is MeTa

https://youtu.be/kh_KvqtTPrM

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

But wasn't it already S ranked in a previous video, before the last shouts buff (but after the previous shouts buff). Or was it S ranked before the last 2 shout buffs... I forget.

Edited by Hotride.2187

I had Vaans in my team the other day, one of the best warriors in the game, probably, and he (she?) was playing bladesworn and was 1v1ing some gold 3 guy for a WHILE. So, if Vaans who has Best of the Best and God of the Arena titles takes THAT long to win against someone far below their rank on bladesworn, maybe it's not THAT good. 

Edited by wondermuffin.9680