Lighting is behaving oddly since last patch [Merged]

Rotating the camera in some areas (notably for me, in some parts of the Norn home instance) causes the place to go darker/shadier intermittently, depending on camera position. It's as if this "camera" is blocking the light. A very weird bug, never happened until the latest patch.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

Had this happen with a character in the Hooligan's Route area of Lion's Arch about 30 minutes ago, shortly after that I switched to another toon in Hoelbrak and went into the Home instance to farm all my gathering materials for the day and had a similar lighting issue occur.

I actually wondered if it was due to having changed my Graphics Options Render Sampling to Supersample earlier so I logged out of the game, changed the Render Sampling back to Native and then restarted the game. Logged in-game with the same toon in Hoelbrak and went back into the Home instance and the lighting was fine, no weirdness at all. Now I'm going to switch back to my toon in Lion's Arch and check Hooligan's Route to see if the lighting there is still weird or not.

EDIT: Just checked Hooligan's Route and the lighting there is normal now, no weirdness with the lights switching off and on as I turn the camera. *shrug*

Edited by Grizzly UK.1209
  • Like 4

I'm experiencing lighting issues as well. For me I see it with the reflections on the water while rotating the camera and I first noticed it in Seitung Province. It's almost as though while you rotate the camera the reflections disconnect and then snap back into place. My render sampling is set to native and switching between them made no difference unfortunately.

Logging out of the game completely and then logging back in fixed it at first but when I logged out to go do something else and then logged back in the issue returned. I upgraded my graphics driver and tinkered with a lot of the graphic settings. The only thing that seemed to "fix" it was to set the reflections to none.

This happened after the update today. My girlfriend is having the same issue on her computer. Here are some screenshots of what I see. Also as a note I did see someone with an Anet tag floating in the water in Seitung Province so maybe they are aware?

https://i.imgur.com/sTR3Ttp.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/T1sKq3j.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/BLnsjeZ.jpg?1

Edited by Zildjian.4325
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good to know, that the issue is not on my side.

I just reinstalled the game twice, disabled dx11, tried compatibility modes, the bug still persists.

And something similar seems to have happened in another patch about eight months ago.

I hope this get's patched rather quickly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Caerbannog.7138 said:

https://streamable.com/tlciu3

Video of the lighting bug in Hunter's Hearth

Well, with that music this sounds like a bug that could be turned into a feature. 

Asura Disco Ball. 400 gems.  Drop it for others to use. Use to choose between 1 minute effect and 1 hour effect. 

The effect pus the character in disco mode, creating a disco ball over them, disco lighting effects, and background disco music. Idle animations are replaced with dances.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/20/2022 at 1:44 AM, Grizzly UK.1209 said:

Had this happen with a character in the Hooligan's Route area of Lion's Arch about 30 minutes ago, shortly after that I switched to another toon in Hoelbrak and went into the Home instance to farm all my gathering materials for the day and had a similar lighting issue occur.

I actually wondered if it was due to having changed my Graphics Options Render Sampling to Supersample earlier so I logged out of the game, changed the Render Sampling back to Native and then restarted the game. Logged in-game with the same toon in Hoelbrak and went back into the Home instance and the lighting was fine, no weirdness at all. Now I'm going to switch back to my toon in Lion's Arch and check Hooligan's Route to see if the lighting there is still weird or not.

EDIT: Just checked Hooligan's Route and the lighting there is normal now, no weirdness with the lights switching off and on as I turn the camera. *shrug*

After this I went on to play for several hours, switching between multiple toons and visiting multiple zones. Not once did I see any more of this weird lighting issue where certain light sources seem to suddenly switch off and on as you move around.

Finished playing and logged out, exited the game, did some other stuff for a bit and then shut down my system while I was busy with other things. Finally popped back in-game, logged into the same toon from earlier in Hoelbrak and went into Hunter's Hearth to gather my daily materials. This time the lighting started switching off and on almost constantly as I moved around gathering from each of the various nodes in the Home instance!

So I guess we now play the waiting game to see how long it takes A-net to fix this? 🙄

Edited by Grizzly UK.1209
  • Like 1

Same issue in Verdant Brink, at the flax patch area. Turning the camera around changes the lighting from day to night.

After the latest patch there is a third instance of CoherentUI_Host.exe running in the Task Manager.

Anyone knows what exactly does it do?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Neurion.4086 said:

Same issue in Verdant Brink, at the flax patch area. Turning the camera around changes the lighting from day to night.

After the latest patch there is a third instance of CoherentUI_Host.exe running in the Task Manager.

Anyone knows what exactly does it do?

I believe Coherent runs the Trading Post.

• Like 1

Huh.  I thought this one was related to the WINE/CoherentUI weirdness Linux users have been having.  Come to think of it, it's awfully like a bug that happened when dx11 was back in beta.  (The craigstead instance for LW season 1 (through the scrying pool) would cause it.)

• Like 2