Account Name and Password no longer saved [Merged]

Run Gw2-64.exe without using a shortcut, enter your email/password and choose to remember them, then login. Once logged in, don't click play - exit the launcher. Note that if the launcher/game crashes, your login won't save. If it's still not saving, delete %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat, which is where your login is stored, then try again. If you're using mods, remove them (delete any DLLs in the GW2 folder and the entire bin64 folder for simplicity).

That said, the patch seems to have introduced a lot of bugs into the launcher (excessive loading, invisible launcher, CoherentUI crashing, rendering glitches, -autologin failing), though I'm not personally having a problem with remembering the login.

Edited by Healix.5819
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 6:41 PM, Healix.5819 said:

Run Gw2-64.exe without using a shortcut, enter your email/password and choose to remember them, then login. Once logged in, don't click play - exit the launcher. Note that if the launcher/game crashes, your login won't save. If it's still not saving, delete %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat, which is where your login is stored, then try again. If you're using mods, remove them (delete any DLLs in the GW2 folder and the entire bin64 folder for simplicity).

That said, the patch seems to have introduced a lot of bugs into the launcher (excessive loading, invisible launcher, CoherentUI crashing, rendering glitches, -autologin failing), though I'm not personally having a problem with remembering the login.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'run GW2 without a shortcut'.  Don't use any mods; only use -mapLoadinfo.

Edit:  I thought maybe you meant run GW2 from inside the folder, so tried that.  Account Name and password were there.  Then tried it from the shortcut? on the desktop, still worked.  So maybe, 🤞, it is working now.  Thanks, Healix, you (d a...no idea why those two letters together are filtered) best!

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234

Whelp, it's back again.  Starting from inside the folder has no effect, so that wasn't the 'fix'.  I see there's been some kind of update; not sure if that had any effect on the issue.  :classic_sad:

I tried to delete the local.dat file, but I can't find it; it's not in Documents (Guild Wars 2 file) nor in appdata/roaming.  There's a file in appdata/roaming, that is called 'Local', but it can't be deleted and when you click on it, it brings up some Photo-shop type application.  🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I tried to delete the local.dat file, but I can't find it; it's not in Documents (Guild Wars 2 file) nor in appdata/roaming.

There should be a Guild Wars 2 folder under roaming; Local.dat is in there. You can open it by pressing WindowsKey+R or by entering it into the address bar of any folder:

%appdata%/Guild Wars 2/

If you can get it to save again, try exclusively launching with -shareArchive to put Local.dat in read-only mode. This should either prevent it from resetting or confirm it's a problem with loading the remembered login. Note you'll need to remove the option to patch or change any of the "local" settings (login, sound and some graphics).

I had this problem once after tuesday's patch, but in the last 8 hours i had it a few times and it's very annoying.

The problem seems to have a relation with local.dat. I am "lucky" enough to have multiple accounts and i use batch files to switch between accounts (all it does is to make sure the correct local.dat is in my gw2 folder).

When this problem occurs, i have to close game, re-run the last-used batch file, start game again and the problem is solved (till now). All i have done is copying the required local.dat to my gw2 folder again, while the game is not running. And that fixes the problem... but not the cause of it (probably something goes wrong when gw2 tries to read local.dat).

Edited by GODh.3892
typos

On 7/20/2022 at 1:52 AM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Not sure if this belongs here or in 'Bugs', but my launcher no longer saves my Account Name nor password.  At first it saved the password, but not the Account Name; now it blanks out both fields

It happens to me sometimes, too, that both fields are empty when I start the client.

I then just close the client without input and start it again. And then it ususally has my saved account name and password again.

2 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

It happens to me sometimes, too, that both fields are empty when I start the client.

I then just close the client without input and start it again. And then it ususally has my saved account name and password again.

Sadly, that doesn't work for me.  Though, often once a day, the Account Name and password will be saved. 

This has been an issue since the re-release of the " Scarlet's Playhouse " Episode ( July 2022 ) 

Despite having " remember me " clicked under the Email I'm having to routinely Re-enter my email and password. 

It's not Too much of a hassle as I remember those readily, But it's still an inconvenience and a rather obnoxious one at that. 

No rush in looking for a solution /gen 

• Sad 1

This is happening to me 80% of the time; both name and password are lost. Name isn't a problem, but I have an appropriately complex password and now I have to have it saved in a handy fashion for cut and paste, which totally defeats the purpose of a good password.

This needs to be fixed.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Pyx.1906 said:

This is happening to me 80% of the time; both name and password are lost. Name isn't a problem, but I have an appropriately complex password and now I have to have it saved in a handy fashion for cut and paste, which totally defeats the purpose of a good password.

This needs to be fixed.

Are you sure the password isn't saved?  When my launcher fails to save the Account Name, and I supply it, the 6 asterisks show up (often) in the password field (which is everyone's hidden password).  You might just try it next time.

Good luck.

That's twice now. The launcher is forgetting my email / password when the checks are there. Not in a row. works most of the time, but failed again this morning after working yesterday and for a few days since it failed last.

BUG! Annoying Bug. This has worked correctly for over a decade and now it's broken.

Whazup? ;(

• Sad 1