Account Name and Password no longer saved [Merged]

5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Check #3 in this quick guide. Perhaps you need to make hidden files visible first.

If you read through the thread, you would see that the file is there, but it is some photo-something file when you open it. 

I know about hidden files, as I have used them for years; not sure why my local.dat would be hidden, and another file named local.dat would be in its place if no one else's is. 

10 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

If you read through the thread, you would see that the file is there, but it is some photo-something file when you open it.

Because you have assigned your system to open .dat files with that program you mentioned (perhaps during the installation process of said program).

To remove the file association, follow these steps: https://windows11tools.com/how-to-remove-or-reset-file-associations-in-windows-11/

In any case, the file association shouldn't matter. You should still be able to delete it.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I didn't assign anything to open .dat files or any other files.

Okay. Usually, a program asks for file association on install, but apparently this one didn't and automatically applied the change.

Regardless, I deleted the file, and it made no difference

It is recommended to perform these steps in the following order before restarting the game:

• Deleting the game cache
  • Deleting the Local.dat
  • Performing a client repair
  • Restarting the game

No guarantee this will solve the issue, but it's worth a try.

Plus, I'm not using Win11. 

Sorry then. There are numerous guides on how to change/reset a file association and how to display hidden files for other Windows systems as well. Also, since you only saw "Local" instead of "Local.dat", you need to activate the option "Show all file extensions" in Windows Explorer.

P.S. May I ask if you have the game installed under Program Files or on the Desktop? Installing non-system related software under Program Files can lead to all sorts of unwanted issues, the same goes for the Desktop (placing shortcuts there is fine, but never install anything there).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 1

Omg.  I was just answering Healix; I have no need of your assistance.  I'm not the only one with the Account Name and Password-not saved issue.  For pete's sake! 

Just because I quoted you doesn't mean the things I wrote are meant for you alone. Perhaps someone else will find them helpful?

In any case, excuse my attempt of helping you -- won't happen again. 😉

• Confused 2

What happens to me about 50% of the time on all 4 of my accounts is that the launcher halts with the cursor in the password field. All I have to do is click login to get it to go to play, so the password must have been saved. This is annoying because before the festival patch it would go all the way to the character select screen before halting. I do have save username, save password, & autoplay all checked.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:50 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Thank the Gods!

Rude. You don't seem to know how to activate seeing file extensions or insisted in the past that installing GW2 on the Desktop was a good idea, which tells me that you are not very computer-savvy. I really only meant well, Inculpatus cedo.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

• 3 weeks later...

I learned many years ago write down all emails and passwords for every acct you have whether it be for games or bills or shopping.   In this game I have 2 accts and 2 pieces of paper 1 for each acct showing display name email for the acct and password and phone number used as well as all characters on acct that way if I ever need them, I have them.

• 3 weeks later...

There has been an intermittent issue since a patch last month where the launcher will sometimes not auto fill the login credentials from the last login, even when the appropriate boxes are checked. Closing the launcher and opening it again usually fixes this issue, with the Account Name and Password fields usually being auto filled correctly after 1 or 2 attempts when this bug occurs. The most recent patch however seems to have made this bug permanent, with the log in credentials not being auto filled correctly no matter how many times the launcher is closed and reopened.

Yep.  Having the same issue.  This started after one of the updates in August.  Have never had this issue prior.  Windows 10.

Even tried closing game deleting the Local.dat file and restarting GW2.  This did not fix it.

After reentering the UID and PW with the save boxes ticked, still get this issue.