The fractal instability changes

This patch had surprisingly good instability changes but also very questionable ones.

The good changes:

• No pain no gain also includes resolution now and is not hurting exclusively power builds anymore. Years too late but better than never i guess.
  • Random oneshots removed. Spike potential of some instabilities was insane in some situations. mostly when swarmed by adds with not a lot of counterplay. going from 4k dmg per hit to 30k hits in some cases were too random.
  • We bleed fire removed: Finally. the "scholar mod begone" instab finally gone. and artsariiv doesnt feel like bomberman anymore.
  • Frailty is not hurting necro life force generation anymore.
  • Hamstrung cant root you in place anymore in 100. Not sure if it can still do that with chill.
  • Using heavy aoe boonrip on vengeance buffed trashmobs can do a lot of aoe damage probably. havent tested this yet.
  • Last laugh might be easier to avoid in swampland. havent tested that there yet.

The bad changes:

• Social awkwardness was just changed instead of deleted. only ham and fb have access to long duration stability.
  • Vengeance is STILL bugged. applies weakness to the player if aegis or stability stacks are used. Bladesworn needs aegis to protect itself while in dragontrigger but will apply weakness to itself too! you can also grief soulbeast players and buff them with aegis during their axe 5.

The most likely extremely bad change:

• Toxic sickness applies damage down to your teammates. high grief potential and just a potential toxic player generator. a bad player is already quite annoying but you can deal with it at least. now imagine the situation if this player also lowers the entire groups damage output because it keeps puking on everyone. will most likely result in hatred, kicks and ragequits. Anet has to be extremely careful with such designs. Its already super tilting if you get hit without even receiving the damage down since it already does quite of lot of damage on its own. 
    • Instead of applying damage down to hit teammates it should apply this effect to the initial player if it hits a teammate. Damage down should always be a punish for a messed up mechanic. Do not punish the rest of the team while doing nothing to the person who messed up. Also requires a wiki visit to understand. usually its "you see debuff on your bar -> you messed something up". but this means somebody else messed up and probably only you are punished for it. be consistent here! ff14 does it. sometimes in new content my only way to know if i messed something up are exposed and damage down buffs. Please dont use them like regular debuffs. we have boons and conditions for that.

CMs are already quite hard to get into and can be toxic for some players. A mechanic that punishes other players for the unawareness of a single player might result in more toxicity. 

Neutral change and just personal opinion:

• The new flux bomb annoys me more than the old version. I play bladesworn mostly currently and it gets applied very frequently and can affect the same player multiple times in a row. very annoying on a build that cant move. The reduced radius is a nice change though and the increased frequency should not be so annoying on more mobile builds.

Overall not that bad. I hope for more smaller iterative changes than the 4year patch that tries to fix everything in one go though. Changing a single instability in a patch in a minor way would be fine too. no reason to wait another 4 years to tweak stuff. resolution on no pain no gain should have been a no brainer. Could also test new instabilities this way. not sure how much dev time this requires but just trying out new things once in a while would make the content less stale. if it turns out to be another birds its fine if not left alone for 6 months. Even broken things like slippery slope and birds were fun for 2 weeks.

Edited by Nephalem.8921
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

The most likely extremely bad change:

• Toxic sickness applies damage down to your teammates. high grief potential and just a potential toxic player generator. a bad player is already quite annoying but you can deal with it at least. now imagine the situation if this player also lowers the entire groups damage output because it keeps puking on everyone. will most likely result in hatred, kicks and ragequits. Anet has to be extremely careful with such designs. Its already super tilting if you get hit without even receiving the damage down since it already does quite of lot of damage on its own. 
  •  
    • Instead of applying damage down to hit teammates it should apply this effect to the initial player if it hits a teammate.

i totally agree with your opinion. it's really bad now. i like your solution, would be fair.

high ranged builds don't care for it but HEY ANET, there are some low/mid ranged builds that need to stay at the target to perform well. wtf

I disagree on We Bleed Fire, as it was imo one of the best designed Instabilities due to 1. having a clear telegraph, 2. plentiful counters in positioning, dodging, blocking, projectile negation etc., which also reward skill - as in a player can protect the whole group with projectile mitigation and shine, rather than the whole group being punished for one player failing as in dropping Flux on the stack (allowing for positive expressions of skills rather than at best just not negative), and 3. not just being a boring passive and unmemorable modifier, nor being just a force out of stack and kill your DPS annoyance. 

If there was a clutter problem with trash mobs in combination with it, just making it exclusive to Elite, Champ and Boss mobs would have been fine.

No Pain No Gain imo still needs a better telegraph and a secondary counter - imo a small but quick Breakbar would be great for this. The Breakbar serves as telegraph for the incoming boon appliance, the two counters are either to bring extra CC and good reaction time or to strip boons after the fact, and the payoff is a short exposed window after either way of dealing with the mechanic, rather than receiving the (most likely redundant) boons. 

As for: 

- Boon Overload: Rather than increasing incoming strike damage, each boon on the player now reduces maximum health by 1.5% to a maximum of 18% with full boons.

- Frailty: Rather than reduce health, players now take 10% increased damage from all sources.

I'm glad that after years of barely any new content, it's innovative changes such as these that will make Fractals feel like a whole new and engaging experience again. 

Agreed on Toxic Sickness, although I suppose fitting of it's name, I much rather have opportunities for positive expressions of skill like We Bleed Fire, rather than toxicity inducing high potential for negative expressions as this one is ripe for.

For the positives, I'm glad some of the unhealthy and unfun untelegraphed oneshot potential is being being addressed, that's about it though.

Edited by Asum.4960