[Rant] The 4 Reasons i dislike Bladesworn.

DanAlcedo.3281

2 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

FotM is what replaced dungeons. They are fun and have progressive tiers of difficulty, part of the difficulty are added effects called Instabilities. These range from foes exploding on death, increased damage taken, reduced HP, and other handicaps to make them harder. They reworked one of the Instabilities to be exactly what we were discussing for Spellbreaker to do as a form of support.

One of the only reasons fractals EVER worked: accessibility. Yeah, I know it's a dirty word among elitists, but I'm using it. Same thing with dungeons, strike missions and raids. Don't believe me? Take a good look at why dungeons, strike missions and raids failed and 3 for 3, you will find out that it's because of a lack of accessibility. More accessibility means more people play. It takes NOTHING away from the more "hardcore" set, yet they are the first ones to protest.

Fractals not only have progressive tiers, but also instabilities to make them interesting.

3 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

FotM is what replaced dungeons. They are fun and have progressive tiers of difficulty, part of the difficulty are added effects called Instabilities. These range from foes exploding on death, increased damage taken, reduced HP, and other handicaps to make them harder. They reworked one of the Instabilities to be exactly what we were discussing for Spellbreaker to do as a form of support.

Alright. I knew what fractals were, but have not done them at any serious level, so have not encountered Instabilities. Does this mean the enemy is stealing the boons from players and giving it to nearby mobs? Or the players have to steal from the mobs and get to share?

1 hour ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Alright. I knew what fractals were, but have not done them at any serious level, so have not encountered Instabilities. Does this mean the enemy is stealing the boons from players and giving it to nearby mobs? Or the players have to steal from the mobs and get to share?

For that one it causes the players that strip boons to give it to the party. Would be way too hard on T4 if the mobs were stealing quickness, 25 might stacks, fury, stability, and protection off of the party.

T4s as a Power Berserker is one of the fastest paced gameplay experiences I've had in GW2. Razor thin margin between success and failure in a pug. Actually made my wrist ache from the high actions per minute. Easier though with different classes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm still not convinced we need a support role for Warrior.

I think one of the main problems with the game is that over time, the developers have bought in to the community viewpoint that all professions need to provide all roles all the time, which is how we've ended up with Guardian, Necro and Engi in their current positions.

Even if they spec full Zerk, they're still effective all-rounders.

What the hell happened to the poles being High Durability = Low DPS and Low Durability = High DPS with a variety of roles in between?

Not that this specifically addresses the point that Warrior doesn't really need a support role, but it does highlight just how much ANet have broken the core of the game from listening to their players.

But of course, they painted themselves in to this corner when they made it hard to re-spec gear in PvE / WvW, locking free respecs behind Legendaries.

If players find changing gear a barrier to enjoying certain content, they're not going to play it, so they end up asking for their current spec to be valuable in the content they feel locked out of.

And because there's always a massive focus on DPS in any game's community, that means most people are going to be using DPS gear.

So if ANet are balancing around player demands, they're going to make even glassy gear specs be effective at providing support.

The trouble is, while ANet should make gear respecs and build templates free for the good of the game, they won't, because they've tied too much of their monetisation in to these systems.

In GW1, if I ran in to a mission where I was dying too fast because I'd built for DPS, I could quickly and easily respec to better approach that content. And this also helped me get a deeper understanding of my profession and abilities.

Any cost that hinders build flexibility in an online game is a bad idea.

Even GW1 originally suffered from this originally with respec points, but they were wise enough to remove them just after release.

/Rant over

@Mungrul.9358 except that was the main selling point of GW2 at launch. Every spec could fill any role, just in their own flavor. We've went from that to hyper specializing via Especs. Which would be fine so long as each of the Especs hyper specialized into different roles, which is the reason so many warrior players were expecting a more traditional support Espec from EoD.

Now Anet is homogenizing the roles, and its feeling kind of lukewarm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

So the old No Pain No Gain is if you hit enemy they gain 10 Might, Fury and Protection, when you remove the boon you gain small HP.
The new No Pain No Gain when you hit enemy they gain 10 Might, Fury and Protection, when you remove the boon you share those boon with team.

Exactly like what you discussed with Lan about how spellbreaker should function as support, they shamelessly take your idea then apply it to another sector 🤣 at this point I wouldn't be surprised they took Grand's Arm Design then apply it to other Class/Sector.

1 hour ago, DKRathalos.9625 said:

So the old No Pain No Gain is if you hit enemy they gain 10 Might, Fury and Protection, when you remove the boon you gain small HP.
The new No Pain No Gain when you hit enemy they gain 10 Might, Fury and Protection, when you remove the boon you share those boon with team.

Exactly like what you discussed with Lan about how spellbreaker should function as support, they shamelessly take your idea then apply it to another sector 🤣 at this point I wouldn't be surprised they took Grand's Arm Design then apply it to other Class/Sector.

To be fair I find it highly unlikely that they took our idea and ran with it as we were discussing that when that patch was already far along the dev pipeline. It is a strange coincidence though. It of course immediately rules out reworking SPB as support in that way.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 4:31 AM, Mungrul.9358 said:

I'm still not convinced we need a support role for Warrior.

I think one of the main problems with the game is that over time, the developers have bought in to the community viewpoint that all professions need to provide all roles all the time, which is how we've ended up with Guardian, Necro and Engi in their current positions.

Even if they spec full Zerk, they're still effective all-rounders.

What the hell happened to the poles being High Durability = Low DPS and Low Durability = High DPS with a variety of roles in between?

Not that this specifically addresses the point that Warrior doesn't really need a support role, but it does highlight just how much ANet have broken the core of the game from listening to their players.

But of course, they painted themselves in to this corner when they made it hard to re-spec gear in PvE / WvW, locking free respecs behind Legendaries.

If players find changing gear a barrier to enjoying certain content, they're not going to play it, so they end up asking for their current spec to be valuable in the content they feel locked out of.

And because there's always a massive focus on DPS in any game's community, that means most people are going to be using DPS gear.

So if ANet are balancing around player demands, they're going to make even glassy gear specs be effective at providing support.

The trouble is, while ANet should make gear respecs and build templates free for the good of the game, they won't, because they've tied too much of their monetisation in to these systems.

In GW1, if I ran in to a mission where I was dying too fast because I'd built for DPS, I could quickly and easily respec to better approach that content. And this also helped me get a deeper understanding of my profession and abilities.

Any cost that hinders build flexibility in an online game is a bad idea.

Even GW1 originally suffered from this originally with respec points, but they were wise enough to remove them just after release.

/Rant over

I like this post.

I actually wish in some ways we were back when damage was slower, aoe was less but more meaningful, condi application wasnt bananas...

I liked the vanilla vibe of guardian support better than what it is now in FB.  I liked Necros uniqueness of the HP sponge.  I liked Mesmers tricks and Thieves stealth...

I could go on, but I thing y'all get the point.  It was pretty nice to have those distinct mechanics.  But now as we get more and more elite specs, the Devs are running out of things to do, so they take one Professions unique mechanic (Thief stealth attack #1) and give it to another (Mirage attack 1).  I'm not going to list out how many times they do this, but it has really degraded the game slowly.  I wish they had kept some of the cool ideas out of the Specs (like lets say, Guardian Tomes), but rolled them out as an elite skill or utility or something.  The full trait line, + profession mechanic, + skills just sets these so high and above everything else that it just obliterates uniqueness and makes things too overpowered.  

I honestly feel like if they keep goign they are goign to be in serious trouble.  Better to stop now and work on unique core traitlines and skills and maybe just add a new skill or 2 to acquire, or weapons.  

But we all know that dont have enough time to invest in doing this...

On 7/26/2022 at 10:11 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

To be fair I find it highly unlikely that they took our idea and ran with it as we were discussing that when that patch was already far along the dev pipeline. It is a strange coincidence though. It of course immediately rules out reworking SPB as support in that way.

Why does this rule out spellbreaker to work this way?'

It is just one fractal instability, just because this works now this way does not mean that no class is ever allowed to work like it anymore. I don't generally agree that spellbreaker should have that, since it is clashing with it's thematical fantasy in my opinion, but the existence of this instability doesn't rule out anything at all.

5 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Why does this rule out spellbreaker to work this way?'

It is just one fractal instability, just because this works now this way does not mean that no class is ever allowed to work like it anymore. I don't generally agree that spellbreaker should have that, since it is clashing with it's thematical fantasy in my opinion, but the existence of this instability doesn't rule out anything at all.

Ideally it would not rule it out, but realistically I cannot see them granting that effect to Spellbreaker now. Which is sad as that was a very low hanging fruit as a means to turn Spellbreaker into a decent support without changing anything else about it.