Returning Player has a couple questions

I am returning the the game after a couple of painful years on another mmo and wondering why i ever left.  The GW2 community is so much friendlier and helpful than those in the game I am sending to the bit-bucket.

My questions:

I have a Ranger DPS that i run around with but I would like to also have a healer.  (i was a pretty good healer in the last game).  If i create a new character I know I can get it to lvl 80 easily, but what about Mastery Insights?  Are they Account Bound?  Or must I re-acquire them.  Reacquiring all my mastery points might be a tall order for me.

Second:  I have read that I can make a pretty good healer with a Ranger.  Is it practical (or even possible) to bounce a build back and forth between DPS and Healer builds?  Or is that a "poor" idea? 🙂

Your advice is appreciated  - with thanks.

Masteries are account wide. You do need to get the points for the elite spec you are aiming for, such as druid, but with 3 expansions worth of hero points out there, that is easily accomplished.

You get some build etc templates you can use for storing and swapping gear and builds. More are available for purchase, but they are per-character, like the bag expansions are. So you can choose where you want to invest - build up one character, or add characters.

• Like 5

For general purposes you will of course go with full berserker gear, aka power dps ranger .. and when it comes to healing, it comes up in niche content so your guild will instruct you how and what to do if the need for healing ever arises.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Kovac.4372 said:

For general purposes you will of course go with full berserker gear, aka power dps ranger .. and when it comes to healing, it comes up in niche content so your guild will instruct you how and what to do if the need for healing ever arises.

Both power and condi rangers exist. For that matter, some people prefer mixing some marauders in with berserker for added survivability depending on their skill level, their connection to the net and other factors.  This automatic you will of course be using zerker gear opinion is years out of date.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

One of the core principles in GW2 is that you do not need to have roles like tank, dps or healer.  You bring your own support and survivability. This allows for more spontaneous cooperation.
For a long time there hasn't been dedicated healers. Only for certain high end content (t4 fractals and raids) you'll need traditional roles and specific builds.
Outside of these content I would advice against running such builds. To allow for this, they introduced buildswapping, making it easier to swal builds. Keep in mind though the the amount of slots is limited and you'll need the gemstore to buy more slots.

• Like 2