Siege Turtle impossible.

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Disagreed, we need less skipping of content for different rewards. The more of the game you play through, the more varied rewards you should get.

So I guess everyone who got their legendary armor from PvP or WvW should've got it from raids, huh? I don't think you understood what I meant about 'multipath" at all.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

7 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

So I guess everyone who got their legendary armor from PvP or WvW should've got it from raids, huh? I don't think you understood what I meant about 'multipath" at all.

It still branches into content going beyond the base open world one. But yeah, I wouldn't have much against the leggies requiring more of the content than they do (as in requiring activity in more of the modes, doesn't mean it should have x times higher time-gating) -definitely would make sense to me.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

ANet has openly stated that GW2 is designed to be a social game an encourage people to play together. In contrast to other MMOs that make progression literally impossible without group play, GW2 is extremely solo-friendly. But it is ultimately still a social game; that is a core part of the game design and, IMO, a silly thing to rigidly reject. Nothing wrong with preferring solo play or anything, but I don't personally think gating an optional mount behind perfectly reasonable group play content is unreasonable, even if it was on the box art. Especially when you remember it's a mount that requires another player to even use properly. 

Griffon and Skyscale also have collections that require group cooperation. At least, if you can solo the events and bounties needed, you probably wouldn't have made this thread. Yes, if you're not familiar with strike missions, it can seem daunting. But as others said, post up in LFG Training that you're looking for help with turtle, and people will join. Be patient, listen to advice, and make an effort to learn mechanics, and any PUG can do it without much trouble. You'll wipe, nobody cares, just keep trying. The consequences of failure are practically zero. 

I think part of the reason people oppose the strike and DE Meta for turtle is because they're used to getting through the main game without much consequence if they do anything wrong. Completing more challenging group content feels like a big step in difficulty because it requires some personal responsibility, and that scares people. But if you've managed to do a few T1 fractals, strikes aren't a big jump up from that, and Kaineng Overlook isn't that difficult. Just put in an earnest effort with a good attitude and you'll have it done in no time.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

On 8/17/2022 at 9:45 AM, Stadsport.8714 said:

ANet has openly stated that GW2 is designed to be a social game an encourage people to play together. In contrast to other MMOs that make progression literally impossible without group play, GW2 is extremely solo-friendly. But it is ultimately still a social game; that is a core part of the game design and, IMO, a silly thing to rigidly reject. Nothing wrong with preferring solo play or anything, but I don't personally think gating an optional mount behind perfectly reasonable group play content is unreasonable, even if it was on the box art. Especially when you remember it's a mount that requires another player to even use properly. 

Griffon and Skyscale also have collections that require group cooperation. At least, if you can solo the events and bounties needed, you probably wouldn't have made this thread. Yes, if you're not familiar with strike missions, it can seem daunting. But as others said, post up in LFG Training that you're looking for help with turtle, and people will join. Be patient, listen to advice, and make an effort to learn mechanics, and any PUG can do it without much trouble. You'll wipe, nobody cares, just keep trying. The consequences of failure are practically zero. 

I think part of the reason people oppose the strike and DE Meta for turtle is because they're used to getting through the main game without much consequence if they do anything wrong. Completing more challenging group content feels like a big step in difficulty because it requires some personal responsibility, and that scares people. But if you've managed to do a few T1 fractals, strikes aren't a big jump up from that, and Kaineng Overlook isn't that difficult. Just put in an earnest effort with a good attitude and you'll have it done in no time.

Why do you think all the people who are bothered by it are solo players? Some of them may be heavily social in guilds and they just don't like raid-like content for one reason or another.

Also, re: "personal responsibility," honestly viewing raiding that way is one of the things that can make it miserable and divisive. Although it's true that sometimes one or another player's contribution is too low for success to happen and the others can't or don't have the skill to pick up the slack, approaching it with that mindset as 1st priority is the kind of thing that will lead you to witchhunt blame games, instead of working together as a team to solve problems (like changing your strategy so that everyone can perform better). It will also lead to things like someone staring at a meter and dying to mechanics because they've gotta make sure they are a top performer, so they can "prove their worth."

So yeah, if I thought every strike/raid group was going to be focused on "personal responsibility" as 1st priority, I would be scared... of how annoying and anti-social it would be. Luckily my experience with strikes has so far been people staying pretty silent about others' performance unless mechanics need clarification or something cause too many are dying, and then it's going general first to make sure people know what to do, not singling people out. I also usually join chill / all welcome type groups tho, so that may make a difference in the mindset of the people I'm playing with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Why do you think all the people who are bothered by it are solo players? Some of them may be heavily social in guilds and they just don't like raid-like content for one reason or another.

Also, re: "personal responsibility," honestly viewing raiding that way is one of the things that can make it miserable and divisive. Although it's true that sometimes one or another player's contribution is too low for success to happen and the others can't or don't have the skill to pick up the slack, approaching it with that mindset as 1st priority is the kind of thing that will lead you to witchhunt blame games, instead of working together as a team to solve problems (like changing your strategy so that everyone can perform better). It will also lead to things like someone staring at a meter and dying to mechanics because they've gotta make sure they are a top performer, so they can "prove their worth."

So yeah, if I thought every strike/raid group was going to be focused on "personal responsibility" as 1st priority, I would be scared... of how annoying and anti-social it would be. Luckily my experience with strikes has so far been people staying pretty silent about others' performance unless mechanics need clarification or something cause too many are dying, and then it's going general first to make sure people know what to do, not singling people out. I also usually join chill / all welcome type groups tho, so that may make a difference in the mindset of the people I'm playing with.

So you understand there's an important element of personal responsibility and understanding of the encounter, but for some weird reason you automatically turn it into a negative take despite spelling out how it positively influences group play in the same post. Nobody says you need to be some "top performer", so you better keep staring at that meter instead of playing the game. That's just not what it is about.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

12 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Mirage is not an example of a risky class to play. They can literally block or evade every single attack in that strike without ever running out of blocks or evades.

The first 3 EoD Strikes were done solo as a Thief I think before Lord Hizen posted this. 

Also, yes, it can be done solo, but it takes well over an hour. Lord Hizen did it in around 70 minutes, while the Thief(Specter) one was almost 2 hours.

Being able to solo it highlights that as long as you can stay alive you'll eventually do the Strike as there is no time pressure on you.

It can take 30 minutes because people barely deal any damage, but are not dying. If you are going for the turtle I guess that 30 minute kill is fine as well.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I agree with OP and disagree at the same time.

In short, I feel you.

Anyway, make a heal alacrity engineer or any other support (metabattle, snowcrow).

Go to LFG in day when this strike is a daily, wait a few minutes prime and get into a group. Do not join those who ask li or kp. There will be regular too.

And you will get it easy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/26/2022 at 3:12 AM, TaliesinRevel.5971 said:

Not new to gw2, but newish to posting. I don't know how to contact the Dev's or even if it is possible.  I don't have a lot of time.

I just wanted to get off my chest, give feedback on how inconsiderate it has been, to place the siege turtle behind a strike mission.

I have found I am not the only person, after all this time and so many, many attempts at the strike, that has still not been able to finish.

Your game is not accessible to all walks of life or abilities, or lack thereof.

I would ask you to do better.

Lol... I did turtle mount collection prior the first nerf, it was hard, meta that u required to finish was bit too complex considering the newbie and casual player amount that is scaling and dragging squads down, i was annoyed by it, because novelty of mount and efforts put in getting it became an mediocre.

Turtle is two people mount, IMO the coordination and team work required for getting this trophy should been left at nightmare mode, but whatever, i aint complaining, it is how it is. 

Some content should be hard, and unreachable for casual players that log in for 30mins a day once a week, that what keeps the hardcore players hooked after all, its an MMORPG, an RPG, whats the point of end game content that can be reached by everyone with ease? Riddle me this please. 

Turtle SM is relatively easy, half of squad can be down, and trainers will still carry them all thru and finish it, so u get the reward's u didnt deserve

Just press Y button in game, and look for training strikes, usually they are run by seasoned players that carry u.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

16 minutes ago, Triptaminas.4789 said:

Some content should be hard, and unreachable for casual players that log in for 30mins a day once a week, that what keeps the hardcore players hooked after all, its an MMORPG, an RPG, whats the point of end game content that can be reached by everyone with ease? Riddle me this please.

I think you're conflating time investment and skill challenges here. There are loads of goals in GW2 that are time-consuming, very much the kind of thing that can keep a person hooked for a while trying to get it, without testing someone's GW2 combat skill much (tho in this case, it's more like social skill at finding a group who can do it successfully, DE and strike, or lucking into it).

What people often call "hardcore players" want more of a test of combat skill, that's apparent, but "what's the point" in the "MMO grind" sense if you don't want that type of challenge? maybe you just want a long-term goal that is a test of your patience and dedication to seeing it through.

Tho saying this about turtle is kind of odd anyway. From what I've heard, anet said turtle would be as easy to get as roller beetle and then turns out it isn't. And there's nothing to me about the design of the turtle that suggests it's some kind of super amazing mount that needs to be reserved for only the most dedicated players. It's got like a handful of niche uses and that's it. So why in the world would the turtle be the kind of content that, in your view, should be "unreachable for casual players that log in for 30mins a day once a week"?

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

On 8/21/2022 at 3:23 AM, Labjax.2465 said:

Tho saying this about turtle is kind of odd anyway. From what I've heard, anet said turtle would be as easy to get as roller beetle and then turns out it isn't. And there's nothing to me about the design of the turtle that suggests it's some kind of super amazing mount that needs to be reserved for only the most dedicated players. It's got like a handful of niche uses and that's it. So why in the world would the turtle be the kind of content that, in your view, should be "unreachable for casual players that log in for 30mins a day once a week"?

Beyond the usage in Echovald Wilds and Dragon's End, the turtle is most useful for casual players. Anyone who can attain it with ease likely already knows how to out-DPS or out-utilize the mount. And, that's not to mention how boring it would be compared to the rotations they could already do without it. That's one of the things that makes me question why an instanced strike mission is required for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/19/2022 at 7:27 AM, Labjax.2465 said:

You seem to be too focused on your own takes that you're not actually responding to mine here, you're arguing against a strawman that seemingly only exists in extremes.

First, my original point was specifically addressing solo players, and how IMO it's a bit silly to get upset that an MMO game has some content that requires playing with other players. Yes, you can prefer to play solo (I do), but if you're so vehemently against playing with other players that you refuse to do so for a reward you apparently really want, even when it's fairly accessible to achieve, you're playing the wrong game. GW2 is arguably one of the most accessible solo-friendly MMOs out there. The counterpoint people make is that "all playstyles should be accessible," which I generally agree with, but it's also easy to use that as a defense against any modicum of challenge and continue to move the goalpost. Endlessly catering to a minority of players who refuse to play the game how it was designed would ultimately result in a game that is no longer GW2. My opinion is that a massively multiplayer game should justifiably have multiplayer content, and it's a defensible position. How much content should require group play would hypothetically be up for debate, but we're talking about a single strike mission. Any reasonable sliding scale of appropriate group content would obviously include one thing.

Further, nobody said anything about viewing personal responsibility as being one's "first priority," inciting a witch hunt against other players, or making sure everyone is a top performer to prove their worth. You are attempting to put words in my mouth, and again argue against statements/points I didn't make. 

The nature of group content does involve personal responsibility. This is a fact. Every team member is encouraged to contribute in some way, that's why multiple players are required. In some cases there are mechanics where one person can cause the group to wipe. All "personal responsibility" means is that what you do matters. This does not mean that every team member needs to pump out top-tier DPS, is not allowed to make mistakes, and needs to clear bosses in record times, nor does it mean anyone here is advocating for a culture in which we shame people for not meeting these imaginary expectations. It is very possible, and in fact common in GW2, to go into group content understanding that you need to try your best, while other players understand that you are still learning and developing your character, and trying your best. In fact, you point out that your experiences with strikes have been pretty low-stress and that there are welcoming groups for low experienced players, which is exactly the point I made in my post. 

I'd sure agree that it would be discouraging going into group content if it was that annoying and anti-social, but luckily, it isn't, and I never advocated for an environment where it would be. And the idea that asking players to try, a little, will result in people dying because they're staring at a DPS meter is a laughable slippery slope. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I think people are blowing this out of proportion.

1) GW2, by design, heavily discourages completing everything. GW2, also by design, heavily encourages group cooperation. The turtle is well within this philosophy, and requires some challenge to acquire like the griffon, warclaw, roller beetle, and skyscale.

2) More importantly, the thing is literally designed for group play in a way that casuals do not need to own it to enjoy it. In fact, I think a solid argument could be made that the turt exists largely as a way to help carry new players through content, literally putting them in the backseat and giving them a fun power trip while a vet can shuttle them around. I see it as a fun way to make the game more accessible to new players without requiring much of them, while simultaneously giving vets a means of engaging with new players. If anything, it is more a mount expressly designed for *vets* to own, than for new players.

This may not click for some people, but multi-seat mounts in FFXIV were a BIG DEAL for retaining a new playerbase a year or two ago. There were posts all over the place about the generosity of veterans picking up noobs and shuttling them around, giving them tours. In fact, I am surprised in retrospect that FF beat GW2 to the concept of a multi-seat mounts, for as much good as it does the community, because GW2 is historically much better at innovation in that level. Also, btw, multi-seat mounts in FFXIV are not especially easy to come by either, and tend to be locked behind harder content and events (with a couple gemstore exceptions).

Not having a turt does not ruin the game for anyone, especially since all anyone is missing out on is the sort of multiplayer fun they desperately want to avoid. I don't have my turt unlocked yet, he is sitting cute in Arbortone monching away at a tree because I have been too busy to feed him. My enjoyment in the game has not lessened one bit, nor has it been lessened because I don't have a crapton of shiny BLC drops or legendary equipment that I want.

People need to chill out. This game has only survived and remained mostly evergreen because it doesn't hand out achievements like candy. Everyone, at every stage of the game, can look and see a fair progression system toward permanent, long-term benefits, and at every point some will be within reach. If the turt is not within your reach right now, it is not for you yet.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, CourtJester.5908 said:

I think people are blowing this out of proportion.

1) GW2, by design, heavily discourages completing everything. GW2, also by design, heavily encourages group cooperation. The turtle is well within this philosophy, and requires some challenge to acquire like the griffon, warclaw, roller beetle, and skyscale.

2) More importantly, the thing is literally designed for group play in a way that casuals do not need to own it to enjoy it. In fact, I think a solid argument could be made that the turt exists largely as a way to help carry new players through content, literally putting them in the backseat and giving them a fun power trip while a vet can shuttle them around. I see it as a fun way to make the game more accessible to new players without requiring much of them, while simultaneously giving vets a means of engaging with new players. If anything, it is more a mount expressly designed for *vets* to own, than for new players.

This may not click for some people, but multi-seat mounts in FFXIV were a BIG DEAL for retaining a new playerbase a year or two ago. There were posts all over the place about the generosity of veterans picking up noobs and shuttling them around, giving them tours. In fact, I am surprised in retrospect that FF beat GW2 to the concept of a multi-seat mounts, for as much good as it does the community, because GW2 is historically much better at innovation in that level. Also, btw, multi-seat mounts in FFXIV are not especially easy to come by either, and tend to be locked behind harder content and events (with a couple gemstore exceptions).

Not having a turt does not ruin the game for anyone, especially since all anyone is missing out on is the sort of multiplayer fun they desperately want to avoid. I don't have my turt unlocked yet, he is sitting cute in Arbortone monching away at a tree because I have been too busy to feed him. My enjoyment in the game has not lessened one bit, nor has it been lessened because I don't have a crapton of shiny BLC drops or legendary equipment that I want.

People need to chill out. This game has only survived and remained mostly evergreen because it doesn't hand out achievements like candy. Everyone, at every stage of the game, can look and see a fair progression system toward permanent, long-term benefits, and at every point some will be within reach. If the turt is not within your reach right now, it is not for you yet.

Can people please stop conflating multiplayer with raiding? Is this a result of the MMO genre being largely WoW clones (raiding games) so people just see them as one and the same? Someone can be extremely social in the game and still not want to do raids or raid-like content (strikes being like single raid bosses). Conversely, someone could say barely a word and raid on a regular basis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Can people please stop conflating multiplayer with raiding? Is this a result of the MMO genre being largely WoW clones (raiding games) so people just see them as one and the same? Someone can be extremely social in the game and still not want to do raids or raid-like content (strikes being like single raid bosses). Conversely, someone could say barely a word and raid on a regular basis.

Can you please read my post instead of conflating it with a message that I don't believe I ever stated? My post is about how the turtle acts as a bridge between veterans and new players. Locking it behind a raid is *a way* to facilitate an aim to put it in the hands of players most able to help new players. It may not be the best way to achieve that, I'm sure that can be debated endlessly, but the fact that you haven't even really attempted to understand the whys or hows of the turtle mount as a game mechanic in itself reaaaaally undermines the credibility of your complaints my dude.

Edited by CourtJester.5908
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Bad idea. Also, being veteran doesn't mean person raids - might as well be wvw player, or fractals, or strikes, or open world farmer

They could have, but they didn't. Also I misspoke, it's a strike, the primary means of endgame content for the past few years.

People like OP would have complained all the same if they had to do a T2/T3/T4 fractal, or a raid wing, or a WvW reward track. They whinged a few months ago about turtle being "locked" behind Dragon's End. This is a nice community that generally doesn't shame bad players, but the ones that put on a performance trying to hide behind "game design" and "PUGs" as an excuse for their own unwillingness to engage in cooperative gameplay get no sympathy from me. OP would not have literal dozens of fails if they had put the minimal effort it takes into finding/arranging a half-decent group that was dedicated to achieving a one-time clear, and learning the basics (gearing, rotation, mech dodging) of a selfish DPS  or boonslave build. This game has plenty of content that people can "enjoy how they want"--that is not the same as letting them afk faceroll their way to literally every achievement.

That said, I do think more two-person mounts should be made available to WvW, fractal, and raid vets. I think the turtle represents a good direction to take mount design, reward harder content players with ways to help newer players catch up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, CourtJester.5908 said:

Can you please read my post instead of conflating it with a message that I don't believe I ever stated? My post is about how the turtle acts as a bridge between veterans and new players. Locking it behind a raid is *a way* to facilitate an aim to put it in the hands of players most able to help new players. It may not be the best way to achieve that, I'm sure that can be debated endlessly, but the fact that you haven't even really attempted to understand the whys or hows of the turtle mount as a game mechanic in itself reaaaaally undermines the credibility of your complaints my dude.

This is what I was referring to, primarily:

Not having a turt does not ruin the game for anyone, especially since all anyone is missing out on is the sort of multiplayer fun they desperately want to avoid.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I have resigned to the fact that I will never get this mount.   I have too much social anxiety to participate in any group content.   Social anxiety makes me feel like everyone is watching/judging me.  To go into a group setting where you can get picked apart with "get good" or "you suck".   It makes it impossible for me to even attempt.    Ironically, I can do open world stuff fine because I can just bale out (log off) if I get overwhelmed (ie: attempting to get some of the more difficult hero points with people around to see me fail).  You might wonder why I play an MMO when I can barely talk to people.   Well, the game is fun even though I can't do everything.  

I have only done the Dragon's End expansion on 1 character and got my turtle egg on my first attempt of the Meta (lucky) in the first week.   Unfortunately, the strike mission is my wall.. I can't go past the organized group wall.   The meta is hard enough, I think, because there have been many posts by people that want to see a nerf, just to get their egg.   For me, I found it fine to participate in, because it was open world.  Now though, knowing I still have to do a strike mission to get a piece of the turtle's saddle, I wouldn't have done the meta at all.   I really thought I would get my turtle having completed the meta.   Oh well...   Getting that Thruster Control Unit will be my barrier.   It's the last thing I need.  Sad that I've been sitting on a thrusterless saddle for months now.

It took a lot for my for type this.   Please don't judge me..  Most, almost all,  people don't understand what it is like to have a disorder like this.   I don't want them to change how you get the Thruster Control Unit..  I'm just disappointed at my own short-comings.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ezhno.2807 said:

I have resigned to the fact that I will never get this mount.   I have too much social anxiety to participate in any group content.   Social anxiety makes me feel like everyone is watching/judging me.  To go into a group setting where you can get picked apart with "get good" or "you suck".   It makes it impossible for me to even attempt.    Ironically, I can do open world stuff fine because I can just bale out (log off) if I get overwhelmed (ie: attempting to get some of the more difficult hero points with people around to see me fail).  You might wonder why I play an MMO when I can barely talk to people.   Well, the game is fun even though I can't do everything.  

I have only done the Dragon's End expansion on 1 character and got my turtle egg on my first attempt of the Meta (lucky) in the first week.   Unfortunately, the strike mission is my wall.. I can't go past the organized group wall.   The meta is hard enough, I think, because there have been many posts by people that want to see a nerf, just to get their egg.   For me, I found it fine to participate in, because it was open world.  Now though, knowing I still have to do a strike mission to get a piece of the turtle's saddle, I wouldn't have done the meta at all.   I really thought I would get my turtle having completed the meta.   Oh well...   Getting that Thruster Control Unit will be my barrier.   It's the last thing I need.  Sad that I've been sitting on a thrusterless saddle for months now.

It took a lot for my for type this.   Please don't judge me..  Most, almost all,  people don't understand what it is like to have a disorder like this.   I don't want them to change how you get the Thruster Control Unit..  I'm just disappointed at my own short-comings.  

I can sympathize. I don't think mine is as bad as yours from the sound of it, but it definitely makes this kind of content harder. FWIW, if you can find an "all welcome" type group, I've yet to see them being the type to judge people. I can't say it's a guarantee, but far less likely. Another way you can approach it, and this is something I did before I ever stepped foot in a strike, to pre-empt fear and insecurity in this way relating to my performance, is I used the Special Forces Training Area along with a guide or two to have a build I could play that I knew was at least doing passable DPS (like 7-8k at least, ideally more like 10-15k+ with quickness and alacrity and such applied). That way I would go in knowing that I was performing decently at least and if someone judged me for it, that's their problem.

Not that you were asking for solutions, but I thought I would mention that in case it can be a help to anyone who does struggle with this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Ezhno.2807 said:

Hey friend. I also have social anxiety. It used to be a lot worse than it is right now, and I was in your exact position. I still get overwhelmed in closed groups (like fractals) sometimes and don't like to talk to people one-on-one either - I panic if I get a DM and have to fight not to turn off the game. Like you I'm totally fine with open world, because I can just bail, but when it's a closed group it feels much more personal and scary, since people will take notice if I personally say something weird or do badly or leave. It's really hard.

I don't have any advice but just wanted to say you aren't alone, I don't consider it a 'short-coming', and it was really brave of you to post this. I hope that doesn't sound condescending. 

Edited by kettering.6823
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ezhno.2807 said:

Just so you know, you don't have to perform decently to get the mount. you can die on the 1st attack and spend the whole time eating dirt, and if your group clears it then you still get the mount. Your personal performance of no concern unless you're healing, and most likely no one will even pay attention.

Your performance only matters in EXP (experienced) groups, which will have it listed.' NOTE: Setting yourself as Offline in LFG will block whispers and so on.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508