Chrono Mimic + Signet of inspiration suggestion

agrippastrilemma.8741

1. Replace Signet of Inspiration with some new skill

2. Create a "Mantra of Inspiration" elite that extends boons

3. Allow Mimic to be reset by Continuum Split again (the reason they did that was because of SoI)

4. Disallow elite skills to be reset by Continuum Split (just like Mimic is currently)

5. To compensate, lower Continuum Split cooldown to 60s

Edited by agrippastrilemma.8741
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

What is the idea here? To create a boon extending elite skill?

I'm quite certain that SoI might have been the final nail in the coffin but not the actual issue. Recharge and skill resets have always been problematic. Even more so if you chain them like Mimic. People will find something else to exploit it with.

Back to boon extensions: I think the target cap of SoI needs to be 5 by default and traiting it just increase the extension. Then it would be fine. 

For Mimic: I'm a fan of making it the Elite Manipulation - it just feels cleaner to copy a Utility with an Elite rather than what we got right now. However this would mean more reshuffling and new skills because of Mass Invisibility.

Yeah, that 4. killed it.

Grav Well is the only reason squads have 1 or 2 mesmers in WvW. Removing double Grav Well makes Chrono basically useless since necro can also boonstrip as good or better than chrono, and also brings other stuff to the table while Chrono is a boonstrip/veil/pull bot. No other support capabilites whatsoever.

Meanwhile Firebrands can still do everything better than everyone else, so why are we constantly debating changes to our profession that always removes something useful in order for X to be added?

Just add the X, Firebrand already has it in their base kit, stop with the bloody tradeoffs.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, godfat.2604 said:

I don’t want to lose my double Gravity Well in WvW. It’s already subpar, removing that will kill it.

This will remove the onetrick garbage where you are just waiting for 90 secs to refresh your elite, lower the CD on cont. split. and Chrono becomes less gimmicky and more innovative uses of cont. split become viable rather than just using it for the elite every time - this will be especially beneficial in PvP.

Note for the thread, I didn't expect to get any approval from the Mesmer forums, it is pretty well known that people on here generally only like bad ideas, luckily Anet pick and choose whatever they personally like and don't care about whether or not something is popular on the forums.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

This will remove the onetrick garbage where you are just waiting for 90 secs to refresh your elite, lower the CD on cont. split. and Chrono becomes less gimmicky and more innovative uses of cont. split become viable rather than just using it for the elite every time - this will be especially beneficial in PvP.

There are other skills for sure, Tides of Time is still a good skill despite targets being limited now. Null Field isn’t great but still useable. I find the new Well of Senility okish, too. I don’t intend to list everything, but it’s not exactly just one trick pony. Perhaps you can say a few tricks pony. Most other professions are as well though.

You might think reducing cooldown for Continuum Split is enough of compensation, which I don’t think it’s the case for WvW group play. I only use it for Gravity Well, and generally nothing else. There are 2 reasons for this. A) There are 0 clones in a group fight, thus duration would be quite short to fit everything else. I would be lucky to cast another skill. Not always though (ping is also an issue). B) Positioning is the key to survive. I sometimes would even attempt to end Continuum Split early to avoid reverting back to the center of enemies. Long duration can also be dangerous because we can’t predict where the enemies are moving to. Watch their movements and end early when needed is important. Distortion is not there anymore, remember?

I would take it if you also half the cooldown for Gravity Well. Note that it’s 60 seconds in WvW, not 90 seconds, and halving it would be 30 seconds. I would then gladly accept that I can’t double cast it. Not that I enjoy spamming skills more, but generally that’s where the game is heading to anyway… Less about timing, more about spamming everything. Too late to get back and other elite skills can use some cooldown reduction as well.

I am not familiar with PvP so no comments there.

6 hours ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

Note for the thread, I didn't expect to get any approval from the Mesmer forums, it is pretty well known that people on here generally only like bad ideas, luckily Anet pick and choose whatever they personally like and don't care about whether or not something is popular on the forums.

You seem to imply that Anet did a great job balancing Mesmer, which I don’t agree with. I am not saying forum ideas are all great though, it’s a mixed bag of everything after all, and we don’t see them live and can’t test the results. To be completely fair, the game is a creation from Anet after all, and I did really enjoy Chrono or Mirage a few times in the grand history. They’re not made from the forum. It’s kinda pointless to mention this, but I suppose some people still need to hear some praises for Anet so here that is.

4 hours ago, godfat.2604 said:

There are other skills for sure, Tides of Time is still a good skill despite targets being limited now. Null Field isn’t great but still useable. I find the new Well of Senility okish, too. I don’t intend to list everything, but it’s not exactly just one trick pony. Perhaps you can say a few tricks pony. Most other professions are as well though.

You might think reducing cooldown for Continuum Split is enough of compensation, which I don’t think it’s the case for WvW group play. I only use it for Gravity Well, and generally nothing else. There are 2 reasons for this. A) There are 0 clones in a group fight, thus duration would be quite short to fit everything else. I would be lucky to cast another skill. Not always though (ping is also an issue). B) Positioning is the key to survive. I sometimes would even attempt to end Continuum Split early to avoid reverting back to the center of enemies. Long duration can also be dangerous because we can’t predict where the enemies are moving to. Watch their movements and end early when needed is important. Distortion is not there anymore, remember?

I would take it if you also half the cooldown for Gravity Well. Note that it’s 60 seconds in WvW, not 90 seconds, and halving it would be 30 seconds. I would then gladly accept that I can’t double cast it. Not that I enjoy spamming skills more, but generally that’s where the game is heading to anyway… Less about timing, more about spamming everything. Too late to get back and other elite skills can use some cooldown reduction as well.

I am not familiar with PvP so no comments there.

You seem to imply that Anet did a great job balancing Mesmer, which I don’t agree with. I am not saying forum ideas are all great though, it’s a mixed bag of everything after all, and we don’t see them live and can’t test the results. To be completely fair, the game is a creation from Anet after all, and I did really enjoy Chrono or Mirage a few times in the grand history. They’re not made from the forum. It’s kinda pointless to mention this, but I suppose some people still need to hear some praises for Anet so here that is.

Not a good idea to lower grav well cd by half because then all the other elite skills become irrelevant by comparison.

No I absolutely do not think Anet have done a good job, that was more of a subtle dig at Anet for not caring about what players say - although I will say that the Mesmer forums are generally quite clueless these days imo, mainly because pretty much all of the experienced old-timers have left.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

36 minutes ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

Not a good idea to lower grav well cd by half because then all the other elite skills become irrelevant by comparison.

As mentioned previously, all other elite skills should also take cooldown reduction as well, because you’re proposing removing the ability to double cast elite skills. We all know that Anet was balancing around that (which hurts Mirage and Virtuoso). I didn’t propose numbers because I care less about them, but you get the idea. The more important part is that Gravity Well should take greater reduction because Mirage and Virtuoso can’t use it, GW is 100% balanced around being able to cast twice unlike the rest.

To further propose changes as a package, I can also take just 25% reduction for GW so 45 seconds in WvW, if we also improve other skills. Make Well of Senility also remove a boon for the first 2 pulses, so 20 boons in total (comparing to 25 boons for Null Field), and add a 0.5 second daze at last pulse as well. Add 0.5 second revealed effect to Null Field for each pulse. I bet some would hate this though lol This would be meta changing.

My point is… just reducing cooldown for Continuum Split is not enough of compensation for me in WvW. I need more compensation for losing double Gravity Well in WvW.

1 hour ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

No I absolutely do not think Anet have done a good job, that was more of a subtle dig at Anet for not caring about what players say

Oh, then I fully agreed that Anet don’t really care. Or more that they don’t understand their game enough to understand what players are talking about. Or they only care about a very small portion of their game or player base. It’s a huge game after all 😞 It’s hard to propose something which doesn’t hurt the other parts of the game.

16 hours ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

You propose changes to WvW but don't even know how the skill works?

It's 60 seconds in WvW, not 90, and most fights are over by the time it refreshes, but if it does, you have a 3rd Gravity well at your disposal.

In contrast, your idea would make us able to use just one gravity well. 

Bad idea. That's why people are against it. We don't like bad ideas, and it's very pompous of you to assume just because it's your idea it's a godsend and everyone should think the same and if they don't "they only like bad ideas".

Your idea is bad, simple as that.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

You propose changes to WvW but don't even know how the skill works?

It's 60 seconds in WvW, not 90, and most fights are over by the time it refreshes, but if it does, you have a 3rd Gravity well at your disposal.

In contrast, your idea would make us able to use just one gravity well. 

Bad idea. That's why people are against it. We don't like bad ideas, and it's very pompous of you to assume just because it's your idea it's a godsend and everyone should think the same and if they don't "they only like bad ideas".

Your idea is bad, simple as that.

No. Continuum Split is 105s base which is about 90s with illusions, not 60s - that is what we are talking about and nothing else. I know infinitely more about Mesmer and its mechanics than you, simple as.

Yes it would make it so you only have one moa/grav well, but it will also make it so you can use every other skill on your kit way more often, including every single other well, or veil, or feedback, or whatever you want. That's the whole point. It isn't bad, you are just slow.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just want to add this question; why do you guys think Moa and Time Warp got so hard nerfed? It's because of Chronomancer doubling them. This has had terrible consequences for core Mesmer. Of course, you could split the functionality of the elite skills so that Time Warp would have halved duration when you are playing Chronomancer for instance, but simply disallowing elite skill resets is a far more elegant solution.

• Confused 1

To be honest I am also playing with the thought to disconnect CS from the ability to reset elite skills. Of cause it’s just fiction but it would create some advantages balance wise and is an interesting thought.

It would allow a huge reduction of the CDs from the elite skills and maybe even from CS itself making it a more frequently used tool. 

On the other hand, deleting the ability to reset elite skills would in contrary mean that one of the most unique ability’s of chrono would be dumped down once more. 

There are also some uncertainties how this would affect the balance decisions of ANet regards the CD of some weapon skills.  After all you would be able to spam them more often and who knows how fair it would be to dish out 2 full bursts every 30s.

Still…, sometimes I like to Imagine CS would just act like mimic without the kumulative CD effect and would reset only one skill every 20 or 30 seconds. (with master of fragmentation you would be able to reset two skills maybe?)

It would definitely create some interesting combos and could provide more variants in execution then the current CS. The usage is extremly versitile and could improve every alignment of chrono, no matter if power, condi or support. Since the ground binding is also gone it would even add the flexibility to use it as movement skill and double blink or double staff 2. If you play an phantasm builds you had frequently in a fight the choice between 2 or more phantasms (depending on the utilitys) and could use the right one twice depending on the situation. And you could finally decide depending on the situation what you want to use instead of blowing everything that is not on CD before CS ends.

Again it’s only fiction but it has some interesting aspects to split CS from elite skills or even go further. And CS as it is right now has, as said, disadvantages. In special the elite skill CDs are inflated and not bearable.

Edited by SugarJohnson.4596
  • Sad 1