August 2 Balance Update Preview

Rubi Bayer.8493

12 minutes ago, Bookah pls.9352 said:

Cool, prays for reaper buffs too.

Pray to Grenth

3 minutes ago, soulknight.9620 said:

Thats it? 2 out of 9 professions get something fixed? Ok, warriors needed that. But what about ele? Still "meta defining"? What about mechanist/FB nerfs to get them in line with other specs?

These fixes are just to say that they are working on it. Aka postpone balance updates indefinetly until people forget about warrior fiasco

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

Seeing Mesmer and Warrior get some changes is very needed, and appreciated, however I will say it is a bit disappointing we're only getting changes to these 2 classes, while the others are left waiting until August's end. Elementalist's core weapons are in need of a buff - scepter, staff, dagger, etc. They all feel pretty eh, and while some see some use (Dagger Weaver is still decent) I can't even think of the last time I seen a staff Ele.

I can't speak much on behalf of these classes as I'm less experienced with them, but I've seen a lot of disappointment from Reaper and Dragonhunter players. I hope they get some changes come August 23rd, as they seem to be in pretty dire need of it. I am also hoping Firebrand and Mechanist get some nerfs, to feel more in line with other classes. Every raid/strike group I join there's at least 2 mechs and 2 Firebrands. Sometimes more. Good starts, hoping the 23rd's patch will have more to it!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7

As you are touching Mesmer's sword, can I ask you Anet devs:

1. Why Sword #3 being a completely different skill as Virtuoso is an undocumented change?

2. If there are any plans to make that version of the skill game-wide.

3. Why aren't sword skills tooltiped as "blades" for the sake of virtuoso's trait synergy, while greatsword's skills are?

I always felt Virtuoso's sword changes were released in an incomplete/rushed state, but I'm surprised how Anet has never acknowledged it and have completely ignored it so far.

Edited by Skyroar.2974
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I like! Look forward to playing worrier in game! I Made leggy armor for this occasion xD Def feeling the hurt last time.

Edit: After examining the changes I do feel that it loses value in WvW by them not being moveable. Although the blast finishers are cool. Also in general it's a little contradictory to give superspeed on a banner drop that can't move for 15 seconds, WvW would love, but the super speed would be the only thing worth while. It's basically encouraging players to put it somewhere everyone is trying not to be. I would love a mechanic like sam spears where you can maybe update the position once or twice by pulling the banners to you like a spear with a turn over skill.

Also I know I'm not including alacrity in the equation but by doubling the duration and halfling the up time we haven't really fixed much, we still kind of need 100% boon duration to keep good uptime with is just unreasonable to expect from a class that doesn't make itself into a good healer. And even healer roles usually don't go much higher than 80%

Anyways I'll reserve criticism until it's release, I love that Banner of Strength is now on equal playing grounds with "For Great Justice" That as least seems to be a perfect fix, but I don't think banner worrier is out of the storm just yet.

Edited by SoloMona.7345
Better Examination of Content
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how people are disappointed these were the only two patched classes ... Anet has been telling us this for WEEKS.

The real disappointment is: no information about quickness duration on Double Standard. I'm going to predict: banner-applied quickness is still gutted and worthless because it won't give 100% uptime. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

Regarding Chrono, I feel its slow application could be streamlined a bit: it's somewhat convoluted to keep enemies permanently under slow to maximize its damage traits, especially but not exclusively while playing solo. Feels like a missed opportunity here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, soulknight.9620 said:

Thats it? 2 out of 9 professions get something fixed? Ok, warriors needed that. But what about ele? Still "meta defining"? What about mechanist/FB nerfs to get them in line with other specs?

Why nerfing 2 classes, instead of bringing 7 to their level, so all are equal good balanced instead of equal bad balanced? Like do you actually want all 9 classes to be like Elementalist? xD 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 13

7 minutes ago, Skyroar.2974 said:

As you are touching Mesmer's sword, can I ask you Anet devs:

1. Why Sword #3 being a completely different skill as Virtuoso is an undocumented change?

2. If there are any plans to make that version of the skill game-wide.

Sword #3 is different on Virtuoso since it lacks the clone mechanic. There are no plans to make it game-wide, this is a Virtuoso-only change; they've talked about it ages ago before EoD even came out

• Thanks 6

Thank you for acknowledging your mistakes on Warrior and others takes, sincerely.

Despite this is not perfect, and/or too soon to tell, at least for Warrior I can feel a game design behind it, and it feels better on paper.

FYI: we’ve also added an additional balance update to our release schedule on August 23, focused on buffing a larger set of specializations.

This is very much appreciated, and it's a tight schedule, I hope we will get a few rework or improvement on unused specs/weapons/utilities other than just numbers 😄. Fingers crossed !

I hope also you learnt from your mistakes ArenaNET and finally dedicated a team to balance.

Balance is hard, but it is one of the main reasons that makes a player come back and play the game (casual example is league of legends with their 2weeks balance patches - which is extremely short).

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Sword #3 is different on Virtuoso since it lacks the clone mechanic. There are no plans to make it game-wide, this is a Virtuoso-only change; they've talked about it ages ago before EoD even came out

I understand why the change was made, but I find it weird how obscure it is, how arbitrary it feels like to your casual player who may not understand the reasoning, and I totally missed when they've talked about it. Have a source/link?

EDIT: Besides, for most PvE content, core sword #3 is somewhat of a bland, filler skill, while most damage is put into the evade skill; if Anet were to put virtuoso's more interesting #3 in the core weapon, they would not only make the weapon more interesting (it would have 3 useful skills instead of 2 and a half), but also have room to spread its damage application more evenly, instead of having this uber overpowered #2 to make up for a very crappy #3.

I see no good argument why a trash skill that desperately needs a overhaul in PvE has to coexist with, instead of being completely replaced by, its better, more functional version currently gated behind a single spec.

Edited by Skyroar.2974
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Skyroar.2974 said:

I understand why the change was made, but I find it weird how obscure it is, how arbitrary it feels like to your casual player who may not understand the reasoning, and I totally missed when they've talked about it. Have a source/link?

one of their livestreams from pre-EoD, probably during the profession reveal stuff. I'm not going to dig for it since ain't nobody got time for that, but it's out there if you want to find it

• Confused 1

Nice, more Power Virtuoso Buffs, that was really needed, without those buffs maybe people would get the idea they should try harvest temple CM without atleast 4 Virtuosos. This way you may even play 5 or 6 virtuosos. Truly a weak class that needed those changes xD 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 2