Portuguese language

They could insert some basic things to help people who use the Portuguese language, for example when you assemble the squad, the option of preference for the language option "Portuguese" does not appear, and there are many Brazilians etc, who play the game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

There are over 7,100 languages in the world. Should they list them all?  What makes one language not listed more important than any of the others that are not?  If you go by most spoken then there are four others that would be a higher priority. 

There’s also the potential issue that come come about if they were to add more language options in the LFG. People could indirectly take this as ArenaNet adding support for the language and to request more support for that language. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm portuguese and even I think that's a waste of time. Any internet dweller with common sense knows it's more profitable and more useful to just learn english to be able to handle everything. Too many games are in english, it's a precious universal language for a reason.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, JayHog.3280 said:

it's a precious universal language for a reason.

...which used to be French, due to the royal houses using it just a few centuries ago (even in Russia) for quite some time before English took over as the international language.

So "precious" is a bit overstated. 😉 It just happens to be the historical development.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

...which used to be French, due to the royal houses using it just a few centuries ago (even in Russia) for quite some time before English took over.

So "precious" is a bit overstated. 😉 It just happens to be the historical development.

Im glad I will be to old or long dead when the cHinese take over.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

There are over 7,100 languages in the world. Should they list them all?  What makes one language not listed more important than any of the others that are not?  If you go by most spoken then there are four others that would be a higher priority. 

I don't think it's necessary to add the 7,100 languages in the game (I know you study indigenous languages and etc.) but just do a region study, there is no south america server, and Brazilians will play in N.A because of the route, so I think I should add yes, so much so that when arenanet sponsored the great streamers of Brazil in the end of dragons. It was the main complaint.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, JayHog.3280 said:

I'm portuguese and even I think that's a waste of time. Any internet dweller with common sense knows it's more profitable and more useful to just learn english to be able to handle everything. Too many games are in english, it's a precious universal language for a reason.

Brazil is in third in the ranks that consume the most games, we already see other big companies releasing games with our language, so your opinion would be a step backwards. Let them ignore it.

• Confused 4

I doubt they will add more languages. All the text translations and voice actors. It’s a lot of work and takes resources to make. 

take it as an opportunity to learn English better. It’s a good language to have knowledge of in many situations. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

please anet! ❤️   

If you did not want to spend money why did you translate in german (155mi speaker) over portuguese (258mi million speakers in total) ?

Or make it possible to be translate by portuguese community itself 😞

I hope some of my friends join with me, cause they dont know nothing in english.

Thank you.

• Confused 3

On 7/28/2022 at 5:41 PM, Freya.9075 said:

I doubt they will add more languages. All the text translations and voice actors. It’s a lot of work and takes resources to make. 

take it as an opportunity to learn English better. It’s a good language to have knowledge of in many situations. 

We dont need audio translated, but text is easy to translate and could be done by portuguese community itself... not that hard and expensive.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Ezyo.4573 said:

We dont need audio translated, but text is easy to translate and could be done by portuguese community itself... not that hard and expensive.

Well what are you waiting for hop to it make youtube videos of all the content you like that your community can watch to understand the plot.

• Like 2

Every now and then only Brazilians asking for Portuguese because many are playing the game. Okay, why is it only you have a problem with English? Sorry but if you don't speak English you are literally locking out yourself of 90% of content in the internet. Why don't just learn the language.

When I was 11 I played a whole JRPG on console to learn English, and I sat there and translated words I didn't know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

Every now and then only Brazilians asking for Portuguese because many are playing the game. Okay, why is it only you have a problem with English? Sorry but if you don't speak English you are literally locking out yourself of 90% of content in the internet. Why don't just learn the language.

When I was 11 I played a whole JRPG on console to learn English, and I sat there and translated words I didn't know. 

Well because this is what happens when everyone gets a trophy generation grows up mate.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 5:12 AM, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

Are you Brazilian? If yes, that's why we are not respected. We don't even support each other.

I already know English too. Not 100% but Im improving each day.
There are people who won't learn English just to play gw2. It's a barrier. If the ANet doesn't listen to us... ok, we're not the ones who are losing money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Ah, it's one of "those" threads. Oh, did you think I meant the thread itself about Portuguese? No, I meant about people who speak English and therefore feel like elitists- despite people hardly ever saying "what a BEAUTIFUL LANGUAGE!" because... Let's be honest. It's not. Anyway! For some reason, North America is filled with people who think like this. I'd know, as I literally have lived here my whole life and see the horrible, stupid racist people (many old people- are y'all that old? Why are your ideals so stupidly outdated?) Anyway- I see families walking, talking Spanish, Chinese or Vietnamese (very much spoken in my state) and these idiots say stuff like "go back to your own country" or "learn English!" 

I do think if you move, you should learn the language of the place you move to, but that is not the point- the point is that... They are talking to each other. Their sister, husband, friend. I hear so much about people from the USA moving to Japan and Brazil, two countries I really love and you know what? Rarely do they speak Japanese / Portuguese well and how do Japanese and Brazilian people treat them? They're happy they're learning the language! You'll find the most racists are in the US that think that everyone should have perfect English / speak English.

Second, as for the "omg but WHY SHOULD WE HAVE PORTUGUES IN THE GAME!!!!" - I have played MMORPGs since 2004. Outside of U.S. players and some UK players, I've met the most Brazilians. I don't know if I can claim that gaming is a huge part of Brazilian culture, but I know that every single Brazilian I have met in-game is passionate about the game, is eager to learn and teach, and is enjoying everything even if they're forced to play in English. It's ridiculous that that is even happening when we do have translation for other languages- considering Portuguese is so so WIDELY spoken and if you haven't met Brazilian people in every MMO you've played, including GW2, you are just looking over anyone who doesn't speak English... Which sounds like what you people would do. 🙂 

(NOTE: This is NOT aimed at the original poster, obviously, this is for the racist people who think everyone should speak English or GTFO when in reality, the U.S. would be better off without said racist North Americans.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Anet should definitely translate GW2 to Portuguese.
Even Sony, Santa Monica, Ubisoft have already added the Portuguese language to improve the gaming experience.
Nintendo has been under public pressure in this regard since 2010 and today we already have several titles translated.

A translated game sells 30% more than just English.
 Take a look at this article:

https://veja.abril.com.br/tecnologia/industria-dos-games-aprende-o-portugues/

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ezyo.4573 said:

Where can I do this? There is a loooot of people read for this.
You are very ignorant against Portuguese speakers. I know English reasonably well.
I'm worried about friends who won't learn English just because of the game itself. If we think like you do, we shouldn't have other languages like Spanish.

You are the one that said the Brazilian community was ready to translate the game; it wasn't my suggestion, but yours. Then, go ahead and do so; use a Wiki or any other vehicle you want.  Once everything is translated, send it to ArenaNet.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You are the one that said the Brazilian community was ready to translate the game; it wasn't my suggestion, but yours. Then, go ahead and do so; use a Wiki or any other vehicle you want.  Once everything is translated, send it to ArenaNet.  

Ah, of course, a player should do ArenaNet's job... That does make perfect sense, wow. I mean, obviously everyone should do a companies job for them without getting paid. It's very easy- would take them maybe an hour? Two? Hm. It's not like ArenaNet has the people and the money available to translate the game, noooo, of course not. How silly of anyone to think so!

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 4