Pain points in fishing. What is killing it being really fun.

On 7/28/2022 at 5:29 AM, costepj.5120 said:

I suspect that #3 is a consequence of you maxing your fishing power to the hilt. That might indeed bias the RNG towards the legendary end of the scales (pun intended!)
I do my fishing in short bursts and rarely accrue more than 20/30 stacks in fishing party. Mostly I'm just into the green for a zone, or even still in yellow. I've not had any problem working through the collections.

same suspect i have. maxing it, tends to put u in the yellow/exotics range.

• Confused 1

Firstly, I agree totally with the original poster's points.  Especially that you should retain fishing stacks if you need to leave a map because it expires.  Also point no. 3 - the way the RNG works is ludicrous at times.  How can you catch up to 10 legendary fish without getting the exotic or ascended one you need?  Also, the RNG sometimes gets 'stuck' on one particular fish, so you catch 5 or 6 of the same fish in a row (not usually a valuable one!).

Having finally completed the Cod Among Minnows achievement I would also add one point.  I started off finding fishing irritating, then gradually came to enjoy it.  After finishing the final achievement there now seems no real point in continuing with it, except perhaps to make some gold by acquiring Ambergris to sell.  It would be cool if a new set of achievements was added after you've finished Cod Among Minnows, to give you something to aim at.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

I didn't include mounts in my list because mounts actually add value to the game.

no it doesn't and sure, at first i was one of the ppl who supported mounts but i now see the mistake they are.

also, the fishing , capes and housing does add value to the game.

it improves the RPG aspect that GW2 is sorely lacking, we actually need allot more of that to bring out the true potential of this game.

the only part i really despise is that lure can't be gained outside EoD, it should be a normal loot thing.

you kill a larva and you gain lure from it which in turn can be used to fish.

Edited by sorudo.9054
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 7/30/2022 at 2:13 AM, Hesione.9412 said:

Having the fishing bar change direction quickly is what annoys me most. I wish Anet would think of people with higher ping, which means we see the change slower, and implement activities that are less affected by this.

Your ping doesn't matter. Once you cast a line, it's all client-side until you succeed or fail (you can hook and reel while disconnected).

• Like 4

What is keeping fishing from being really fun?

Its fishing. Fishing! In an action adventure game. Fishing! I mean, what is next? Needlepoint? How many moving bars would we need to stare at while not engaging in adventure in order to make doilies?

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

Your ping doesn't matter. Once you cast a line, it's all client-side until you succeed or fail (you can hook and reel while disconnected).

Then it should be an easier fix, pushing out a patch that includes increasing the timer between the back-and-forth movements.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 7/27/2022 at 7:59 PM, Rkey.7019 said:

First off I want to start by saying overall I enjoy fishing in GW2 and think the first stab at getting it into the game was a great effort and the system is set up for success in the long run. However, as the title suggests, there are some pain points which detract from the fun. They are as follows in my personal opinion.

1. Fishing stacks should remain in place when you are forced off a map due to low population. The players should not be punished because the map closes due to low population, this is a terrible mechanic. At no point in any game should a player be punished for something that is entirely out of their control. Why this is even a thing is beyond me.
  2. Having the entire fishing pool open to be caught at Dusk/Dawn needs to go. It is simply silly and bad design to allow players a 5 minute window once every hour or more to catch a certain fish and then make every day/night specific fish and non time specific fish available to be caught as well. At most it should be limited to Dusk/Dawn fish and non time specific fish in that catch window.
  3. The drop rates are still terrible and there seems to be a hidden mechanic that reduces the chances of catching fish you have not caught yet. Many times now I have noticed this trend, you are left with a single Exotic or Ascended fish to catch in an area but you end up catching 10+ legendary fish before the one you need. There shouldn't be any form of artificial time gating, and if there isn't the drop rates need some major adjustments across the board, there is no reason someone should be consistently catching 10+ legendary fish before ever catching a single exotic/ascended. If this happened once in a blue moon, sure it is probably just RNG, but the number of times this has happened to me alone suggests this is more than just RNG being RNG.
  4. Achievement points should be given for at least the first completion of Avid Fisher in each zone. Almost every other repeatable achievement in game gives you points for the first completion, if not more. While some may say points were already given for the first completion, yes technically they were, however, since the normal zone complete and the avid zone complete are both required to complete Cod Swimming Amongst Mere Minnows, these really are two separate achievements at that point.

That is all. Thanks.

I came here to make these points, as well as a few of my own. Fishing is an activity that I really enjoy in the game during times when I just want to do some laid back farming (mats or AP), but these issues are souring my taste for it.

About 40 minutes ago, I lost my 99 fishing party stacks while standing on my boat. This is not the first time that the timer has continued even though I had returned to my skiff. Spending 40-45 minutes getting 99 stacks on your own only to have it thrown away due to bugs in the game is incredibly frustrating, and makes the game seem to be designed to be punishing. Make the fishing party buff an actual buff, with a duration that doesn't expire on map changes or disconnects. You have done this with both food and protocols, Anet, so you're not going to get away with telling us that this isn't possible. Respect your players' time.

My points to be added: 

5. I have caught thousands and thousands of fish since the expansion launched. I don't need to celebrate every piece of tangled net, random nautical trash, or fish I catch. Please give us the option to turn off the animation, which for us avid fishers, is just a waste of buff food time.

6. Please fix the aggro radius of water mobs so they're not trying to destroy my boat from a quarter mile away. New Kaineng, Seitung Province, and Crystal Oasis are where I've noticed it the most. Having to deal with combat on the skiff when you can lose fishing stacks is bad enough, in terms of user-friendly design.

7. Give skiffs the collision transparency you did for siege turtles. There are players who purposely use skiff skins that block the view of others to get right on top of people who are fishing, especially during tournaments. Whether you fish by watching for the exclamation mark, or by watching for the bobber to bob, we should be able to see what we're doing without interruption by rude neighbors.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I started fishing, but after having to grind a specific fish for one of the weapon collections, have completely avoided it.

It has no bearing on the rest of the game, and one could even argue that after getting all of the achievements, it serves no purpose beyond gold acquisition.

Even the food that can be made from fishing feeds back in to fishing, being less useful for general PvE play than other Ascended food, while providing further fishing buffs.

Admittedly, gold acquisition is a valid reward,  but the stop/start nature of fishing and its simplistic gameplay keep me away and playing other stuff if all I want is gold.

I would have thought integrating fishing more closely with Chef would have been a no-brainer, but ANet seem to have completely flubbed this.

The bait & tackle system is also not alt-friendly, but this is a mistake ANet have made more than once recently, what with Jade Bot cores as well.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Bella Rikka.2387 said:

About 40 minutes ago, I lost my 99 fishing party stacks while standing on my boat. This is not the first time that the timer has continued even though I had returned to my skiff. Spending 40-45 minutes getting 99 stacks on your own only to have it thrown away due to bugs in the game is incredibly frustrating, and makes the game seem to be designed to be punishing.

If you're standing on your skiff and notice the timer, you have to board it if you want to keep your stacks. The easiest way to trigger this bug is to spawn a new skiff while your old one is still visible.

On 7/31/2022 at 1:02 AM, ugrakarma.9416 said:

same suspect i have. maxing it, tends to put u in the yellow/exotics range.

Wait, so increasing my stacks gives me better chances to catch exotic and higher fish, but you also suspect it is what is keeping me from getting an exotic/ascended level fish. Interesting theory you got going on there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rkey.7019 said:

Wait, so increasing my stacks gives me better chances to catch exotic and higher fish, but you also suspect it is what is keeping me from getting an exotic/ascended level fish. Interesting theory you got going on there.

the post i quoted is about never get low tiers and then get stuck.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

the post i quoted is about never get low tiers and then get stuck.

Maybe, but the post you quoted was someone saying I was getting 10+ legendary fish before getting a single Exotic/Ascended in multiple zones due to having a higher power level, so that person had no clue what they were talking about.

Edited by Rkey.7019
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I really hope they increase the losing association effect duration and make it (and the fishing party catches) last thru map changes. This would be relatively simple thing to do to make lots of fishing folks happy and encourage players to fish more. I can't see what would be a downside to this change.

• Like 2