Guild Wars 3 or Guild Wars 2: A Realm Reborn?

If there is a GW3, it’ll have to be scaled down to be similar to GW1. ArenaNet doesn’t really have the ability to maintain an MMO like other companies. 

I don’t believe that a remaster would bring any value. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

ArenaNet doesn’t really have the ability to maintain an MMO like other companies. 

I'm kind of ignorant, never having played WoW, but do they release an expansion every year? Or do they have releases in between the expansions, like GW2 has living world chapters? I count 9 GW2 releases in 9+ years, so just wondering what other MMOs are doing that is more.

Or did you mean something else by "maintain an MMO?" Just trying to understand.

13 hours ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

Ff needed a reboot since it had a bad launch, gw2 had a good launch with middling endgame or advertisement.  A reboot to eliminate the good built up content would make no sense imo when the lack of advertising or public awareness in non gw2 circles is close to nil. (Nothing). 

While i could agree with you in other points, this is a no-no. Gw2 had lots of critizisem in their launch by gw1 players and people coming from other games, the reviews werent good like "No endgame, no challenges, no good instanced content/roles, bad pvp". They didnt reboot like FF14 cos they dont have the resources to do that even if they wanted. Gw2 had crazy marketing, literally everyone in the mmo scene and out was talking about it, thats why gw2 sold in pre-purchases and first 2 weeks 3 million copies with no proper reviews yet. The game had a massive letdown of population/earnings since their start, in a moment where there wasnt that crazy competition and mentaily was not try it and to the bin like nowadays.

I dont think Gw3 is a solution for anything. For many reasons. They can do whatever they want with gw2, the lore being the same doesnt seems very exciting  for a "gw3" and the gw name has already been abused till the extreme, a future gw3 is not gonna sale like gw2 did with the good reviews it had from gw1, actually most people will give bad reviews about this game outside of this community. In these days its really hard to get a piece of the market like gw2 has, and destroying all of that for gw3 doesnt seem good. Better do a new game and have different products that give you money and that you support.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I'm kind of ignorant, never having played WoW, but do they release an expansion every year? Or do they have releases in between the expansions, like GW2 has living world chapters? I count 9 GW2 releases in 9+ years, so just wondering what other MMOs are doing that is more.

Or did you mean something else by "maintain an MMO?" Just trying to understand.

Other MMOs don’t neglect content types. When was the last time we got a new dungeon fractal?  When was the last time that we got a new raid?  When was the last time we got a new PvP map?  New PvP mode?  How’s WvW going?  Guild content?

All that they do are the living story episodes and apparently, going forward, story mode boss fights repackaged into strikes with increasing difficulty. Meanwhile other MMOs produce their story content along with additional instanced content in between expansions. The expansions themselves also add additional instanced content. 

Maybe if they scaled back GW3, if they ever plan to make it, then they’d be able to maintain the entire game a little easier than throw all their eggs into the living story basket. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Confused 5

4 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Other MMOs don’t neglect content types. When was the last time we got a new dungeon fractal?  When was the last time that we got a new raid?  When was the last time we got a new PvP map?  New PvP mode?  How’s WvW going?  Guild content?

All that they do are the living story episodes and apparently, going forward, story mode boss fights repackaged into strikes with increasing difficulty. Meanwhile other MMOs produce their story content along with additional instanced content in between expansions. The expansions themselves also add additional instanced content. 

Maybe if they scaled back GW3, if they ever plan to make it, then they’d be able to maintain the entire game a little easier than throw all their eggs into the living story basket. 

That surprises me too. That not in expansions or outside expansions, they dont do more pvp maps, new pvp modes, new instanced content (dungeons, raids, fractals) etc... for not talking about systems rework like LFG.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, FunKCX.4197 said:

So I came across this reddit thread where arenanet has been opening themselves for multiple job positions and it got people speculating.

It even had me reflect allot on my position within guild wars 2.  And it really got me to question how guild wars 1 players moved on after having spent so much time of our lives into playing the game with a passion, only for it to let go like this. So how do you cope with that feeling where guild wars 2 becomes a thing in the past, when Guild Wars 3 could be the next thing? I can't find the answer to that question yet, so I was looking for some possible answers from all of you?

I doubt a Guild Wars 2: A Realm Reborn would ever happen for multiple reasons, so how would you all feel about if Guild Wars 2 pulled off something similar to that?

Thank you for taking your time to read and answer to this thread in advance.

I really don't think you need to worry about a GW3 anytime soon. I think they are just trying to re staff up since they got a lot of income recently from EoD and the great WoW purge. They just need more staff to help the steam launch and then try and give the game a future again. 
And yeah, 0% chance of GW2 ARR sort of thing happing. No company goes for that sort of thing. FF14 was the one and only for that kind of treatment. 

• Like 1

well there still is a chance for the game to continue where it left off i mean there is a location that has yet to be discovered or played if you look into your map you can find these locations and cantha has yet to receive more maps there still possible content to be out there and who knows maybe tengu playable race in the next living world hehehehe please don't hate me?.

3 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

to be fair they do give some of that content out for free you just have to be there as for pvp and wvw world vs world is somewhat alive and i see your point but for somone like me who had to deal with nonstop pvp pvp k/d mlg fanboys almost on a daily basis for example in ohter game lfg if your not this good its like you can't even play the content with others you want to enjoy and i've seen that type opf behaviour kill off a certain portion of a community for threatening there devs and the devs backlashed and stop listening i just don't want this to happen to guild wars and i agree we do need some new pvp game modes but remember arena does more for the consumer than certain company's already do for there games like buy one expansion get them all deal. also have a great day sir.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, RedBaron.6058 said:

OP I hope you are right.

GW3 can be the salvation of the Guild Wars brand.

GW2 is dead, too many mistakes and bad management decisions reduced this game to life support...

i woulden't go as far as of saying its dead just yet have you seen the servers almost all of the major servers are full.

7 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Dungeons (= 5 man super easy raid), fractals (5 man easy raid), strike missions (= 10 man, single boss medium raid) and then you have raids (= 10 man, hard raid).. they could have all called it raids.. but they wanted "new content" its just all the same, but the 1 is easier/harder than the other.  Kill some adds, do a puzzle or task, then kill a boss. 

I dont think a gw3 will fix that. Like you said. They just have to pay attention to what they have released before. 

Other MMO's are not doing any better. Most do a lot worse. There is a reason GW has been attracting players and keeping players for years now. 

With some small tweaks I still think this game has the potential to be the best on the entire market. 

I do agree though that when raids were developed seperate from other releases this was kinda huge. 

(And yes please guild content..!!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

What we know officially:

- there is 1 project at Arenanet which survived the culling of 2019

Do you think GW2 is the only project that survived, or do you think one project survived alongside GW2?

As my personal speculation, they canned 2 project when they lost around half of the work force, 1 was mostly likely a mobile project, and the other, was mostly likely a future gw3 in the early stage.

Why i suspect that? Simple, they talked about no more expansion after POF and they wanted to continue gw2 only with living seasons, plus, we get a 180 change in ice brood saga when Jormag started to freeze all people around Tyria......... and talked about the future defrozen,,,,,,,,,, perfect lore for a possible gw3.

But they canned the projects and have some assets most probably ready, and i think they can be compatible with gw2 as maps so, you have a part of something..... and Expansion announcement come.

All are my speculation, reality can be totally different from all that, only who worked on those projects and stay in the company until the EoD come out could know the true, but for now, gw2 is like the top they have, and is a good game until now (apart the "balance nerf all patch" that i really don't like and the fact that i never really get to battle against Primordus, the first enemy from the oldest time of the Anet game, something i really wanted to do).

Edited by ThunderX.6591

Most likely the new game were green-lited by NCsoft rather than proposed by the Devs (reverse card this time) .

When a company need money and a half-baked-pizza is sitting in the corner it will be a waste for be thrown . And we must look ahead in the future were people should stop crying about P2W at "specific" Asian Companies

I wish WvW maps would get a slow update each 2 months . First replacing the floor with Summer grass > change the visual of Castle > Autumn  grass > Keep and put a mechanic were Snow theres a chance to "freeze" the whole zerg vs zerg fight , or autumn wind , a chance to spawn  gust of wind/toranto (bubble/projectile hate) between them

Edited by Solitude.2097

I think gw2 development in recent years went in a  very wrong direction but still you could salvage this.

But what I see as a problem is the whole thing got too big the players got stretched out too far many map metas are  abandoned because too few people to do it. With keeping content relevant Gw2 really reach the limits with the current expansion.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Lord of the Fire.6870 said:

I think gw2 development in recent years went in a  very wrong direction but still you could salvage this.

But what I see as a problem is the whole thing got too big the players got stretched out too far many map metas are  abandoned because too few people to do it. With keeping content relevant Gw2 really reach the limits with the current expansion.

The problem of more people forming certain stuff is not a population problem, is that you need to do like x100 clicks + delays to see whats forming in the gw2 universe, and i doubt 90% of the population will do it except for the strike/raids/fractals and squad in general. Even for the dungeons u need to do like 8 clicks its unbelievable.

• Confused 1

On 7/30/2022 at 12:50 PM, Izzy.2951 said:

The problem of more people forming certain stuff is not a population problem, is that you need to do like x100 clicks + delays to see whats forming in the gw2 universe, and i doubt 90% of the population will do it except for the strike/raids/fractals and squad in general. Even for the dungeons u need to do like 8 clicks its unbelievable.

Well the probleme is we have world boss events which doesn't scale down to really low amount of people . Best example for this is properly the Vaabi meta  with 3 bosses which you need to do for the beetle mount.

• Confused 1

they did the opposite of league of legends.

in LoL the lore, world and story of every character, city and landmark is superb.

every character is relatable with it's own back story and interesting gameplay, the game it self is actually quite linear and only made for the PvP crowd.

in GW2 the game is empty, nothing really strikes me as interesting and the story line is just stale and linear from the start, it pretty much offends the audience.

however, it does have a big world to explore and offers something for every player type.

if we have to look at how popular each game is it is a fair assessment to say that Anet isn't doing their job right, if LoL can get millions to play each month with just PvP while GW2 barely hits the 10.000 i wonder what is going on.

so yes, ether a GW3 where they can finally get things right or remaster GW2, financially it is much better to remaster GW2, making a game from scratch costs allot of money.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Lord of the Fire.6870 said:

Well the probleme is we have world boss events which doesn't scale down to really low amount of people . Best example for this is properly the Vaabi meta  with 3 bosses which you need to do for the beetle mount.

Whos the third boss in that meta after Ysshi Hessani and Pek Rakt Grag?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defeat_Ysshi_Hessani_and_Pek_Rakt_Grag

Honestly, neither. I don't need to start over with more of the same. ArenaNet should continue to update and refine what they've built over the last decade. MMOs are considered more of an investment than most genres, so creating a sequel is risky business.

I would be interested in a 3rd prtdon single-player campaign based in Tyria at some time that has an online pvp or even wvw-esque mode. Instead of this fracturing the GW2 community, it may make others interesting in playing an MMO based in the same world.

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 1