Banner question

PolarBear.3961

Why cant they just make banners wearable ? I would make it so you can wear banners on your back so you can actually do stuff and not be rooted to the area. You could only pick up 1 and wear it on your back tho so there is no clipping and a meaningful choice to make. If you have more than one banner the others would be on the ground like they function now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, PolarBear.3961 said:

Why cant they just make banners wearable ? I would make it so you can wear banners on your back so you can actually do stuff and not be rooted to the area. You could only pick up 1 and wear it on your back tho so there is no clipping and a meaningful choice to make. If you have more than one banner the others would be on the ground like they function now. 

From the June 28th patch to now was probably insufficient dev time to implement that properly. There was certainly time from when they announced the banner changes and June 28th, but what they did was all afterthoughts. It is really surprising that the June 28th version of banners ever made it through QA, much less past the first internal review of the changes.

I think this iteration is definitely viable so long as the numbers are good. I think this iteration will be really good if they add in to Double Standards for the on summon effects to also proc around the warrior for a double proc of the effects. This would make them very strong as a utility and very viable as support.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Basically everything Lan Deathrider said. 
Haven't really thought of the Double Standards idea, but I like that it still makes warrior banners more unique from other professions while still following the boon standardization "philosophy." The next implementation should hopefully fix banners to actually make them useful (pending actual numbers), but I think more work would need to be done to actually make them fun.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:51 AM, PolarBear.3961 said:

so there is no clipping and a meaningful choice to make

You could easily pick up 4 banners and have them on your back without clipping. You just need one banner design with a canvas that displays which banners are active. Honestly, I'd rather not be a "banner juggler". It seems very "unfun" although I get where you're coming from to make a choice on which banner to carry/drop. I'd rather have longer banner durations and a zero cast time active banner skill (wave banner?) when you wear a banner/banners. Heck, it'd even be cool to have the next banner update iteration mixed with something this. Dropped banners have the 30s cool down, etc., that they will have after next patch, but when you pick up one of the banners you extend the time by a minute and can use one of the initial boons (stab, etc.) as an active skill on a 20s cooldown. Effectively you'd be trading (delaying) quickness uptime for mobile pulsing buffs and more utility. Something like this would strike a nice balance for PvE and competitive modes. Maybe "one day soon"... We can dream at least. xD

Here's a rough idea of what I mean by one banner carrying multiple effects.
https://imgur.com/RsqJBvw

Obviously banner shape, design etc. would be whatever would be the most compatible by just replacing the backpiece while in use. Could look like the Charr Legion backpieces and just have the banner symbols appear on it when picked up or something.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/f/f6/Iron_Legion_Banner_Skin.jpg/800px-Iron_Legion_Banner_Skin.jpg

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 1