Doing older content for collection items.

I am a returning player and I need to get the Machined Warhorn Mouthpiece from the noxious pods to complete a collection but there's no groups doing the meta event at dragon stand (wiki says that a couple of noxious pods does spawn without the need to do event but after 20 mins of exploration and a couple of deaths, i only found 2), so my question is, is it completely dead or do I just need to play at peak timing/weekend?

Edited by ProToOMG.5903
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

• ProToOMG.5903 changed the title to Doing older content for collection items.

Are you checking LFG 15/20 minutes prior to the meta? DS map will close after the meta and kick everyone off. Those planning to do the next round usually gather ahead of time then enter together after the reset.
DS has been running (in EU) any time I've wanted to do it. Which adminittedly is infrequently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

19 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

Are you checking LFG 15/20 minutes prior to the meta? DS map will close after the meta and kick everyone off. Those planning to do the next round usually gather ahead of time then enter together after the reset.
DS has been running (in EU) any time I've wanted to do it. Which adminittedly is infrequently.

This exactly!
Additionally, if there is a Dragon's Stand map, it will get locked the moment you reach Mordremoth, meaning that if you go in roughly an hour after the start of the meta it will be definitely impossible to still get on a map because the on-going maps are either on Mordremoth or already farming, effectively reducing the time window in which you can find a DS map to like 30 minutes every 2 hours.

Find the starting times of the event here so you know when you have to be up: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon's_Stand#Events

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Dragon's Stand is somewhat unusual in that the entire map revolves around the meta, which is on a timer. The map tends to fill up when the meta is due to start, and if you get there late or in between metas you end up on an empty copy of the map.

The best way to do it is:

1) Use the Wiki to check when it's due to start.
2) Get there about 10 minutes before the start. You'll probably end up on a map where the meta has ended or failed, either way you'll get notifications that Mordremoth is about to kill everyone. That's ok because the important thing is that when the map resets you're likely to get into one with lots of other people, and where the event is about to start.
3) Use the LFG tool as another way of finding people, check from the time you go to the map for anyone organising a squad - if you join before the reset you'll almost certainly end up in the same copy of the map, and if not you can right-click the commander to join their copy of the map.

It is more likely you'll find a group at peak times, but it's not required, I've done it at odd times, like mid-morning on a Monday and found groups.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ProToOMG.5903 said:

I am a returning player and I need to get the Machined Warhorn Mouthpiece from the noxious pods to complete a collection but there's no groups doing the meta event at dragon stand (wiki says that a couple of noxious pods does spawn without the need to do event but after 20 mins of exploration and a couple of deaths, i only found 2), so my question is, is it completely dead or do I just need to play at peak timing/weekend?

Assuming you're unable to find groups on LFG and unable to play during peak/weekend hours, locate the 6 waypoints (3 Forward Camps and 3 Advance Camp). There's usually a couple of pods at each of those areas even if events were not done. Don't waste time fighting the mobs. Wait for the patrols to pass by and then run in to harvest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I was actually doing the Machine Weapons achievements in the last few days and did get all by just returning over and over again and hacking the noxious pods. Sounds tedious but that's all there is to it. It's random. You may get a lot in one or two runs or none at all so you have to be patient. They'll appear. The groups will form up. Unfortunately, typically have to wait. That's probably the hardest part.

Edited by phaserBanks.7386
  • Thanks 2

If you need just that noxious pods, you can go whenever you want to the dragon stand map and run along the three paths (so far you can get). On each way are 3-4 pods reachable outside the meta. Re-entering the map to get another map instance works too.

Edited by Galmac.4680
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Before the doom & glooms convince you that its dead, most of the older metas like Dragon's Stand, Palawadan, etc. only happen in and around reset time for everyone to get their once-daily rewards. After that, they don't tend to happen throughout the day because there's nothing else to gain.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 4

39 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

most of the older metas ... only happen in and around reset time

That might be true for NA, but certainly not for EU, since reset time is in the middle of the night for most of EU. You do however have a decent chance of finding groups in lfg during primetime and even at other times of the day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

That might be true for NA, but certainly not for EU, since reset time is in the middle of the night for most of EU. You do however have a decent chance of finding groups in lfg during primetime and even at other times of the day.

Yeah, EU prime time is a few hours before reset. I'm not sure what the start time would be, probably around 16:00 UTC, but I'd say 23:00 UTC (an hour before reset) is the end of it. After that (and sometimes from about 22:30) there's a noticeable drop-off in people online and it's much less likely meta events will be done.

But I think reset happens in the middle of prime time for Americans (which always seemed a bit weird to me, given Anet is an American company) and I know some people like to do metas back to back before and after the reset so they get 2 days of rewards in one evening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Yeah, EU prime time is a few hours before reset. I'm not sure what the start time would be, probably around 16:00 UTC, but I'd say 23:00 UTC (an hour before reset) is the end of it. After that (and sometimes from about 22:30) there's a noticeable drop-off in people online and it's much less likely meta events will be done.

But I think reset happens in the middle of prime time for Americans (which always seemed a bit weird to me, given Anet is an American company) and I know some people like to do metas back to back before and after the reset so they get 2 days of rewards in one evening.

Yes, that's the usual way of doing things on NA. Its not uncommon to have an entire four hours or more dedicated entirely to doing meta, Fractals and other daily tasks both before and after reset. This is because depending on timezone, reset happens either right after or a few hours after people get off work and school, so for alot of them its the only time of day available to do it.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

10 hours ago, Galmac.4680 said:

If you need just that noxious pods, you can go whenever you want to the dragon stand map and run along the three paths (so far you can get). On each way are 3-4 pods reachable outside the meta. Re-entering the map to get another map instance works too.

There are 3 pods down each lane on dead maps.  I used to run down each lane on my necro and didn't even bother popping any minions because you can avoid fighting altogether.  And that was before mounts were added to the game.  There are also ways to cross over between the lanes down at the end of them, so you don't have to waypoint back to run down another lane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1