Time Gated Druid Runestone Fragments

I feel you. Getting that was prob the most time-gating I've put up with in this game and I mainly got through it cause I'd gotten so much else done for accessory collection. Bit of sunk cost fallacy going on there in my case.

Making it possible to speed it up across multiple characters would, I think, alleviate the pain for those of us who like to do stuff in bursts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bunny.9834 said:

It's for an ascended backpack. 

Which is a required achievement for making Aurora.

If you're just doing it for an ascended backpack there are easier ways to get an ascended backpack.

Edited by Xerxez.7361
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Xerxez.7361 said:

Which is a required achievement for making Aurora.

If your just doing it for an ascended backpack there are easier ways to get an ascended backpack.

They can time gate specific achievements for the Aurora without time gating this specific backpack. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

36 minutes ago, Xerxez.7361 said:

Wouldn't be Legendary without time games.

? The original legendaries this game started with... gen 1 weapons... what about them was time gated? They took a long time to get the parts needed, but I can't think of any component that was strictly segmented out by days or weeks of play the way a time-gate like wayfarer's henge is. It's possible to make something take a while without punishing people for missing a day, as those legendaries illustrated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

But then people would complain about those other achievements in place of this one.

Not if it's only for that specific Legendary. 

This is one ascended item.

I'm really just after the skin but I feel like I'm going after a legendary item. 

16 days time gate is insane. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bunny.9834 said:

I'm really just after the skin but I feel like I'm going after a legendary item. 

It's also 20 days long if you don't have 1k volatile magic every day too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bunny.9834 said:

That's because you're rushing it. Also, it's not a 16 days for a single skin. It's a 16 days timegate for a set of four (i think?) skins.

Besides, personally i still prefer this one to the robot backpack collection (esp. due to the requirement of serpent's ire).

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

That's because you're rushing it.

The only efficient way to get past time-gates is to "rush it," i.e. do it every day you can in a row. That's how they work. If you miss a day, you are now behind. You miss another day, you're behind even more. There's no catching up for lost days with more time invested on a particular day because it's forcibly spaced out.

Any other way of doing it is being pointlessly slow and though this was probably "the new map" at some point, it is an old map now and there's little reason to be in it other than for wayfarer's henge, and you have to do the hearts and buy from the vendor, so it's highly unlikely you're going to be getting the parts for it organically without having to think about it. It's honestly one of the most un-GW2-like quests in this game, in that way, and that's kind of a compliment to the rest of the game. It's very difficult to approach it in a way that will get you progress without focusing on the grind.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

33 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

? The original legendaries this game started with... gen 1 weapons... what about them was time gated? They took a long time to get the parts needed, but I can't think of any component that was strictly segmented out by days or weeks of play the way a time-gate like wayfarer's henge is. It's possible to make something take a while without punishing people for missing a day, as those legendaries illustrated.

Well, originally you had to do Map completion including WvW maps.  So, if your server was on green, getting the home keep points and vistas in the red and blue keeps was very difficult.  Most people waited until the cooor changed.  

BUUUUUTTTTTT, the colors changed much more rarely back then as well, as it was not 1 up 1 down like it is today.  So, the servers didn’t change position quickly.  Loads of fun for people that both enjoyed and hated WvW.  

So while not technically a time gate, it had a similar effect.  

Edited by Strider Pj.2193
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Well, originally you had to do Map completion including WvW maps.  So, if your server was on green, getting the home keep points and vistas in the red and blue keeps was very difficult.  Most people waited until the cooor changed.  

BUUUUUTTTTTT, the colors changed much more rarely back then as well, as it was not 1 up 1 down like it is today.  So, the servers didn’t change position quickly.  Loads of fun for people that both enjoyed and hated WvW.  

So while not technically a time gate, it had a similar effect.  

You got me there. Sounds like unintentional time gate, but kinda like one regardless.

• Confused 2

Just now, Labjax.2465 said:

You got me there. Sounds like unintentional time gate, but kinda like one regardless.

Wasn’t trying to one up..  🥴

But I know I have seen what appears to be dev statements/information about time gated pushing people to do more than one thing.  But not so certain that:

A: a dev said that, or

B: that it actually works lol

9 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Wasn’t trying to one up..  🥴

But I know I have seen what appears to be dev statements/information about time gated pushing people to do more than one thing.  But not so certain that:

A: a dev said that, or

B: that it actually works lol

Sorry, I just meant that to admit I was wrong, since it was part of a point I was making. Not trying to imply you were looking to one up me.

As far as their effectiveness, yeah, I am skeptical myself because I know that some portion of people with my kind of brain exist and I tend to want to focus in on one major thing at a time and time gates just annoy me mostly because they limit how much time and energy I can put into one thing at a time.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

See it like this.. You will be extra happy when you finish that collection then you normally would 😆

I got mine during the return to living world event.  Every day there would be someone in chat showing off the link to the backpack and saying something like "goodbye to this map forever" and we would all say congrats and wish them well.

I still wear mine to this day 🙂

• Like 1

It's literally 15 minutes over 16 days to complete the hearts, or a total of 4 hours. Just park a character there and do the hearts whenever you want to play. Not really "hard" or long. Just a test of patience. Wearing the backpiece (or obtaining Aurora) is proof of your determination. No playable content is locked behind the achievement. There's no problem. I didn't "enjoy" it either, but I enjoyed finishing it. There are 2 kinds of satisfaction in the world--instant and delayed.

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, firedragon.8953 said:

It's literally 15 minutes over 16 days to complete the hearts, or a total of 4 hours. Just park a character there and do the hearts whenever you want to play. Not really "hard" or long. Just a test of patience. Wearing the backpiece (or obtaining Aurora) is proof of your determination. No playable content is locked behind the achievement. There's no problem. I didn't "enjoy" it either, but I enjoyed finishing it. There are 2 kinds of satisfaction in the world--instant and delayed.

Not sure where you get 15 minutes from. Not everybody is gonna take that little amount of time to complete them. There is also the time that goes into the unbound magic. And not everybody has alts to park there in the first place.

And there are all the miscellaneous elements to the collection set that are not time-gated, but still take time to complete and which can't be completed until you are on that part of the series of collections.

It's fine that you don't have a problem with it, but using specific personal numbers and circumstances to assert it doesn't have a problem... don't like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Some collections are meant as long term achievements. Druid stones are one of them. If you want it right away, it can be tedious but there are other options if you do not want to do this every day for two or three weeks and get another backpack faster. It’s a choice you need to make. Is it worth it or not. 

4 hours ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

I got mine during the return to living world event.  Every day there would be someone in chat showing off the link to the backpack and saying something like "goodbye to this map forever" and we would all say congrats and wish them well.

I still wear mine to this day 🙂

The joke was on them because we ended up going back to that map for several reasons like the fishing collections. You're never done with something in Guild Wars. 😛

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

I can understand time gate for certain content when it first comes out so that they can try to stretch that content and keep it active longer (Anet doesn't want players complete all the content for a LWS episode 3 hours after it is released)

But years after the content was released, I'm not really sure what purpose it serves, other than to annoy players.  I don't feel like I'm accomplishing more having to wait out time gates.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, Solvar.7953 said:

I can understand time gate for certain content when it first comes out so that they can try to stretch that content and keep it active longer (Anet doesn't want players complete all the content for a LWS episode 3 hours after it is released)

But years after the content was released, I'm not really sure what purpose it serves, other than to annoy players.  I don't feel like I'm accomplishing more having to wait out time gates.

It serves the same purpose as it did on release of said content. You may say it’s old content now, but for newer players it is the same feeling as veteran players got when they first went there. To them it’s new. One of the reasons is to keep players occupied and have a reason to go back to the map so it doesn’t feel like dead content. And they do a good job with that. Collections and daily achievements helps a lot in those maps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1