Hammer catalyst WvW zergbrawler build

I've been experimenting abit with a hammer Catalyst zergbuild after the May balance patch (RIP staff) and found quite a decent alternative in the hammer cata. Depending on your party setup the Catalyst can fulfill a hybrid boonsupport-DPS role, Condi cleanse-DPS role or pure DPS role in zergs. The hammer catalyst works best in close range combat and works ok'ish @ 900 range. The build for catalyst depends heavily on the party you're running with, since the Catalyst synchronises very well with other Catalysts/Tempest. In case it's possible i would therefore highly suggest teaming up with an ele friend (i know it's a rare breed nowadays). 

Since the catalyst makes use of all attributes, running full Cele simply provides the best damage/surviveability combo. The other two key aspect of these Catalyst builds are maximizing statt boosts and aurasharing with elemental epitome and powerful aura.  

Boonsupport DPS water-earth

This build provides excellent surviveability with decent boonsupport. This build works best when you're party lacks any form of boon support or when commanding. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAIJlpCzl9intUa8D-z1IY1oq/QaSRkpUoCRgHPIhxe4tQ/ZEA-w

Condicleanse DPS 

This build provides decent condi cleanse in combination with decent DPS output. 2 of these Condicleanse DPS can be used to somewhat replace scrapper. Boonsupport DPS and Condicleanse DPS can be used together when lacking a firebrand in party to perma self sustain stability and provide a good amount of party support (condi cleanse, boonsupport and heals). In case stability is already covered and there are 2 condicleanse DPS in party empowered empowerment should be traited instead of Staunch aura's (10 stacks can be easily maintained due to mutual aurasupport). 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAIJlpCzldij0UasC-z1IY1oqvQaqIyMFqIC04gEG7h3C9nRA-w

Pure DPS

This build requires stability coverage and either 2 condicleanse DPS or 1 aurashare tempest to operate. Instead of water this build uses the air traitline to maximize DPS while losing some support. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAIJlpCzldij2yWsE-z1IY1oqvQaqIyMFqIC04gEG7h3C9nRA-w

For all 3 builds there's some freedom in the utility slots. These are the optional picks:

1. Relentless fire for extra spike DPS

2. Shattering ice for extra spike DPS and cc

3. glyph of renewal 

4. armor of earth for extra stability support

5. Mist form as panic button

6. Lightning flash as gapcloser/panicbutton

Soothing water is mandatory, simply the best heal+cleanse combo out of all healing skills

Fortified earth is mandatory, insane 3 second block+barrier on a 25 (or 16) sec cd. 

FGS should be used for condicleanse DPS and Pure DPS, best gapcloser & AoE attack.

Elemental Celerity should be used for Boonsupport DPS. Because of its relatively short CD it synergizes well with leadership rune (3 condi->boon party convert) 

Although all 3 builds are still pretty tanky, i wouldn't recommend swapping to a more DPS focused gear setup. The DPS gain when going zerker is very minimal since you're losing a decent amount of condi dmge & duration along the way. I'd simply suggest to play abit more aggressive during group encounters. 

• Like 1

I've been playing with it to spam perma protection and resistance. It's a good alternative to brain ded warrior, but with the new warrior banners, I think a spell breaker will bring more utility while bringing that sweet sweet resistance. Decent builds, but I think the range of the hammer kills it off in more organized play.

Yeah i definitely wouldn't call these builds meta defining, but i do think these builds can offer a decent addition to the elementalist's build arsenal. There are plenty of squad (&enemy squad) compositions where this builds functions pretty well. Staff ele generally offers a good alternative when these builds are countered by the enemy squad and vice versa. 

These 3 builds offer alongside staff ele a somewhat viable build for players that want to play elementalist in wvw. There are definitely better professions out there, but for open tags and like 90% of the guildraids you should able to keep up to par with these builds if you're an experienced elementalist player. 

Boonsupport DPS water-earth
Diamond skin ? in zerg ? how does it even cleanse a single condi ?
I'm not sure about aura share either.

And stench aura too, stability is provided by other classes (low aura generation of hammer, and stench giving a single stacks make it irrelevant)

Condicleanse DPS
Not sure we can qualify that as a condi cleanse build considering it cleanse almost nothing for teamates .... again, low aura application of hammer + commitment of 2 trait (aura share + cleanse ... with no transmute) is weak AF.

Stop drop and roll might be better than auto aura i think.

Pure DPS

Taking Empowered empowerement without any trait to generate extra stacks of EE means you enterly rely on your mate to give you enough aura to actually use that trait .... in wvw i'm not sure the meta classes give their allies aura

-> build only viable with a duo tempest.

Imo all those build need refining and better though. Then again, cant blame anyone for stuggling to get a decent hammer build considering how trash hammer is, and how lazy design catalyst is

• Confused 1

Like i mentioned in my original post, all these builds heavily depend on the team composition you're running. 

Diamond skin is a bad trait, but it's still better then the Grandmaster alternatives. Same goes for staunch aura's when running solo cata. 

The amount of aurashare is actually pretty decent. You can get around 4 aura's every ~15 sec with elemental epitome and 2 more aura's when using your crashing font and immutable stone and another aura when going Fire attunement. So normally you should be able to easily maintain around 7-9 stacks of EE. With another cata condi cleanse aura share/tempest you can easily maintain 10 stacks. 

I'd say ~8 party wide condi cleanses (7 aurashare+water attunement) every 15 seconds is pretty decent (especially when running 2 or alongside a scrapper like i suggested). 

I agree stop drop & roll can be used as alternative. Both are pretty viable. 

- You cant "heavily rely on team comp" as a PUG. You have to fit with what youll be paired, aka the meta. Also when you say that the DPS build requires stab coverage and cleanse, thats pretty useless cause super obvious. On the other hand, you should stress wayyyy more that you need a duo tempest to carry you EE.

- Actually, crit immunity while in earth is a godlike trait ...

- id like some footage showing that you can get that much EE alone in real fight, i doubt you throw randomly your very few finisher on CD.

-running a catalyst condicleanse "along a scapper" is legit overkill.  Scapper cleanse more and gives superspeed, (and also stealth). Sadly ... Just run 2 scapper if you really want that much condi cleanse

All those builds are trash.

If you want to be a boon support / dps hybrid, play a tempest hybrid.

If you want to do actual competitive DPS, play weaver.

If you don't mind playing a trash build just for something different, then sure, try hammer catalyst. 

Edited by scerevisiae.1972
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:21 AM, scerevisiae.1972 said:

All those builds are trash.

If you want to be a boon support / dps hybrid, play a tempest hybrid.

If you want to do actual competitive DPS, play weaver.

If you don't mind playing a trash build just for something different, then sure, try hammer catalyst. 

This. There is literally no reason to ever play hammer in WVW, it's garbage tier.

• Confused 2