Guild Wars 3

Atm, the market where gw3, as a sequel of gw2, could come is FULL of games, some that have nice graphic like Lost Ark, the evergreen FFIV, and more, so...... how good you all think gw3 need to be for the game to get at least in the top 5 games played now?

I mean, BDO have a fantastic graphics, but as a game, isn't so good and is struggling to stay up and relevant..... U5 graphic can be good how much you want, but if the game isn't good, the game would fail (check new world, really nice graphic, but totally failed gameplay in some area (not completely failed to be true) and the game is considered near dead or on life support after 6 months from the opening).

I seriously don't know about gw3......... the market is full of many different games and many more respect what was like in 2016 when the later cut project who get the massive dismissal at Anet was being developed.

Plus, the dragon saga ended, so, what lore started from GW1 and continued in GW2 is no more....... don't know, for me, could be a totally different game, maybe the game can be the next version of AION or LINEAGE, remember NCSoft have them under their umbrella, and at least for LINEAGE, it is a big established online fantasy IP and can have more traction in the market respect gw3, at least regarding a new game release (a lot easier on the lore side i think too).

So for me, Lineage 3 could be a nice U5 game in the future.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ThunderX.6591 said:

So for me, Lineage 3 could be a nice U5 game in the future

seems way more logical, yea a new Guild wars mmo just doesn't make sense at any point in the near future. The new expansion coming in probably 2-3 years, the wvw updates and the announced continous graphic updates wouldn't make much sense if you're were already planning a new game 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sarius.9285 said:

seems way more logical, yea a new Guild wars mmo just doesn't make sense at any point in the near future. The new expansion coming in probably 2-3 years, the wvw updates and the announced continous graphic updates wouldn't make much sense if you're were already planning a new game 

Why would ArenaNet be hiring for Lineage though?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedBaron.6058 said:

ANet just needs to listen to GW2 players feedback and GW3 will be awesome.

Should ArenaNet listen to those players that want housing, or listen to those that do not?

Should ArenaNet listen to those players that want Mercenary Heroes, or listen to those that do not?

Should ArenaNet listen to those players that want a 'Guild Wars 3', or listen to those players that do not?

Etc., etc. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Treacy.4067 said:

NCSoft is the parent company, could use space and utility from ANet for the project (the Team), plus, ANet have only gw as IP, so you are telling me they are restarting a project that was canned before in the middle of the most delicate phase for gw2? (pre Steam release)

If that is, they are betting big time here. (the last big bet nearly ended the company, so, hope this one get good).

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Treacy.4067 said:

for the western version  of the game maybe. Like they are owned by NCSOFT, so having a western studio for the game would make alot of sense. 

Also there just isn't any reasonable argument on why they would be working on the next guild wars, like really, it would not make any sense 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

It can be a phone based card game for all we know. Or a Rytlock + Logan romance game, who knows. A single job posting doesnt really imply a new MMO. Pretty much all developers will want to at least get experience with UE5 now.

Man, it's going to be WILD when we get the super secret Legacy of Goldclaw expansion that upgrades GW2 to run in Unreal Engine 5 with a mobile add-on for managing our trading post bids on all those Lost Manuscript Pages people are going to be selling like crazy thanks to some bug in the drop rates -- and then wishing they bought 10,000 (like cabbages) when the prices suddenly skyrocket after the patch.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, phokus.8934 said:

Seeing as how terrible UE5 scales without significant changes, GW3 MMO is extremely unlikely.

What you mean?? In the demo, they had an entire city and i don't think the demo was running bad, so, can you explain the scales problem of it?

Ngl, I hate this practice of trawling job listings to speculate about what game companies are planning for the future. All it does is either get people's hopes up or down about nothing that is even remotely confirmed. I mean, look at what happened with the KOTOR remake, that was a little more announced I think, but last I saw, that has been put on pause and may not get finished at all.

So like, even if they are working on a GW3, it could be something like 3-5 years of development out, if it doesn't stall or get axed during production. And unless GW2 team has lied, they are still doing at least one more expansion, so it's not like change is coming barreling around the corner here.

And like, if you enjoy speculating, more power to you. Just... I don't think people should take it too seriously as a predictor of anything.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ThunderX.6591 said:

What you mean?? In the demo, they had an entire city and i don't think the demo was running bad, so, can you explain the scales problem of it?

I'm not sure what demo you're referring to.

However, UE by design does quite a bit of good RPCs out of the box from server to client.  This is very important for persistent worlds and gameplay continuity with thousands of players.  ANet readily solved this issue with how it does its own sharing within GW2 and their own engine.  The scaling issues really come to light when you have several hundred clients all making the same updates and calls to the server.  Again, not a show stopper but trying to debug and performance monitor which RPCs are causing the problem and how to solve them gets exponentially harder with an MMO layer.  But UE has those tools built into it. 

FPS games don't necessarily have to worry about this as their servers are capped (say 100 players).  UE is a nice engine but it's not really geared towards MMOs.  It's all about using the right tools for the job.  Sure it can be done but there are much better alternatives.

I believe one of the Fortnite developers did a blog on some of the extensive work they had to do server side to get 50-100 players in an area.  So just using that as an example and my professional experience.

• Like 2

The Matrix was the Demo, but you explained the thing, so i understand what you was referring.

Well, GW2 have multiserver that limit the people on one map to around 150 as max and around 100 as normal i think and if less than 30 (not so sure about this limit), a "close map 1 hour" message come i think.

14 hours ago, JayHog.3280 said:

Not to mention if we indeed finished all the dragons, the main issue of the lore is solved. The world is finally safe-ish. What else can the devs do to continue without re-creating a whole new enemy faction?

Only thing I can imagine is that homecoming idea of an expansion to give closure to lots of things for the race you played. After that. I think the safe bet is making a new game that starts a whole new lore.

They could pull a Blizzard and create some cosmic threat from the great beyond to start a new lore path. 😅

9 hours ago, LesserHellspawn.3160 said:

I'm definitely not ready for a Gw3 for years to come. HoT drove me off years ago, EoD brought me back. I have since unlocked all PoF masteries, all central Tyria ones, all Icebrood saga ones. Still hard at work on the HoT and EoD ones. I still have to craft my 32 slot bags, I still haven't even started on legendary armor. All that will take years, albeit in a much more condensed form than if I had kept playing all the past years. So no, not ready for GW2 to go into low population maintenace mode like GW1 just yet. I haven't touched any of the large raids yet.

If they're just really beginning Guild Wars 3 now you'll have years to get ready for it, if being the operative word. That game will still be like four, five years off.

• Like 1

I personally think it’s highly illogical that they are working on GW3. Much more likely to be a new game entirely such as a single player rpg.

Based on how difficult it can be in the MMO market to get a solid footing, if you already have a successful product, the last thing you want to do is divide your fan base and spend so much time and resources on something that may potentially fail due to the previous version being better and having a more dedicated player base.

There are older MMOs then GW2 such as FFXIV and WoW that are still going. One is even more popular then it has ever been and they have another decade at least left in its tanks. ESO is only 2 years younger then GW2 and it just released a new expansion.

All in all MMOs are basically timeless and new graphics are nice but in general have very little effect on the average MMO player.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

As far as guild wars 2 goes, I think it needs awareness more than a revamp. As mentioned on launch a lot of people tried it in a era where mmorpgs like rift/tera/swtor/star trek online / dnd online / Neverwinter /Lotro.. [Insert 1 million other mmorpgs with 1 feature] launched. Gw2's launch experience i think was missing endgame content and mounts. It's launch niche was the first 1-30 you had a personal story and then Trehearne took over it. But now 10 years later, It's built a really strong niche as a really fun buy once own forever mmorpg that respects time.

Which may be a bit from the competition weakening, but one thing to note is Activision blizzard is pretty complacent. They don't really care about adding flight and often gate or deny the ability to use the mounts while wasting time with empty chores and have been hitting junk expac after flopped expac. But they're starting to copy the griffon/skyscale's roll flights and physics.

(Contrary to belief, Wow actually starts off with 300% flight speed dragons that would pretty much be a 200% speed skyscale. But physics /rolls are not programmed in. The skyscale is more a wow mount copy vs the other mounts, come full circle to have it's roll copied imo. ) 

For instance, while a meme video, Asmongold's (Hate the dude from wow. Trashy personality. Has gold raising events where he calls people idiots for donating them gold and labels it as a money making guide LMAO. ) 

Anyways, just kinda imagine him as a common WoW audience. He has no or little idea that gw2 exists other than a few features. Which instead of wanting to play, wants to steal. People don't know most of Gw2 is free and PoF and the mount could be like 17$. That's a month of wow sub. But often mmorpgs had 15$ monthly sub or big grinds. One of the labeled points within the comments is that people think it's brilliant how someone can BUILD this ingame, followed by a counter point that whoever did it, probably had to grind items for thousands of hours to a guild hall. But instead of going to Gw2, they want wow to copy the feature so they can play it in wow without hopping as most people only commit to only mmorpg due to stereotypes of subscriptions. Maybe they could use more strength advertising that gw2 is FREE to play to max lvl, 1-80 vs 1-20 of WoW and FF? that'd already be a BIG selling point.. And while we joke of the popularity of GW2 advertising..

This meme clip at 350k views, low even for Asmon.. Still has like 3.5x the 100k views of some of Gw2's own trailers or advertisements. Now i don't like Asmongold, but i think gw2's lack of popularity isn't that they need to remake the game when most people who see it respond with interest.. Their OFFICIAL 90k view EOD trailers get the same amounts of views as someone trying to sell a reshader preset for 10$... And.. it got just about as many views as EOD.. For just making a gameplay trailer.

(Reshader is a Free Shader tool that makes games look gorgeous. It'll often trigger a false positive virus alert as it modifies your gw2 shader files however. But i haven't had any problem using it so far. Gw2 despite being 10 years old, can look pretty DRAMATICALLY good with the right shaders and software. Just wish it was less cpu bottlenecked and used more ram. ) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I've said it in the past, but i think most people do like Gw2 once they hear about it or try it. or they want to play it, but don't even realize it's F2p to max level. (Now, skipping out on the story and qol mechanics if you spend 100$ and it all gets eaten up by expac collection + LS4 skyscale + griffon + a salvage o matic or viper gear is another thing. But, for what it's worth, if you don't care about the plot.

Gw2 can be enjoyed for free or very optimally for 15-7$ for HoT+ Path of Fire and maybe 2$ for Roller beetle or Ls3:3(?) for Bitterfrost berries. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If it's going to happen, I have only one request: Don't place GW3 in a futuristic setting. 😢

The current implementation of jade-tech is already bad enough and turned a perfectly fine fantasy setting, with relatively tame magi-tech that was decently advanced from what we saw in GW1, into something that now mixes design styles which don't fit together at all.

I'd rather have ANet take a step back, towards GW1's design style, than seeing them go full jade-tech. Ugh, the mere thought makes my hair stand on end. Cyber Wars 3... 😩

3 hours ago, IYield.1204 said:

I personally think it’s highly illogical that they are working on GW3. Much more likely to be a new game entirely such as a single player rpg.

That wouldn't make any sense in the light of the statement that it is "around an established online fantasy IP."

19 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

There's absolutely no confirmation that it has anything to do with a GW3; in fact the devs have been making many longevity changes to GW2 like the DX11 update, Steam release, etc.

And what other "established online game" does ArenaNet have going that could have been referenced?

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

I mean, while BDO can have some really impressive graphics and fan shaders. As mentioned Earlier, So does GW2 and it still franky, much as im surprised as well. Still looks years ahead in wow in modern content.

The thing is, there's more to a successful rpg than solely graphics imo. You need early game and endgame content, you need to have a active player base (and poaching from other mmorpgs or getting a younger audience to join can be a very difficult task. ) 

While BDO has some honestly impressive graphics.. You have to remember you play a mmorpg for the gameplay and BDO, at least on metacritic has Trashed 68% ratings reviews trashing the p2w mechanics. Apparently it has mobile energy mechanics and afking in a MMORPG that might burn your graphics card and fan? You chop down a tree and have to wait a hour for energy(???). Metacritic players are trashing the monetization scheme and flat voice acting and story and PVE scene. Lag, and just completely ripping into the game.

Honestly it looks good but there's a lot more to a successful mmorpg than pretty grass. And a lot of those things like polished gameplay and a healthy endgame and grouping system seem important to what most mmorpg audiences want in a mmorpg. 

And while sure, BDO may take the cake. Gw2 is still miles ahead of wow and looks pretty good with the re shaders mod. Can you see the particles of each hair? Nah. But [gameplay] often trumps [graphics WITHOUT gameplay] imo. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

If it's going to happen, I have only one request: Don't place GW3 in a futuristic setting. 😢

The current implementation of jade-tech is already bad enough and turned a perfectly fine fantasy setting, with relatively tame magi-tech that was decently advanced from what we saw in GW1, into something that now mixes design styles which don't fit together at all.

I'd rather have ANet take a step back, towards GW1's design style, than seeing them go full jade-tech. Ugh, the mere thought makes my hair stand on end. Cyber Wars 3... 😩

That wouldn't make any sense in the light of the statement that it is "around an established online fantasy IP."

And what other "established online game" does ArenaNet have going that could have been referenced?

You answered your own question in your post. Guild Wars is their original IP, not GW2, meaning that anything being developed could just as well be a sister-project instead of a replacement.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, phokus.8934 said:

I'm not sure what demo you're referring to.

However, UE by design does quite a bit of good RPCs out of the box from server to client.  This is very important for persistent worlds and gameplay continuity with thousands of players.  ANet readily solved this issue with how it does its own sharing within GW2 and their own engine.  The scaling issues really come to light when you have several hundred clients all making the same updates and calls to the server.  Again, not a show stopper but trying to debug and performance monitor which RPCs are causing the problem and how to solve them gets exponentially harder with an MMO layer.  But UE has those tools built into it. 

FPS games don't necessarily have to worry about this as their servers are capped (say 100 players).  UE is a nice engine but it's not really geared towards MMOs.  It's all about using the right tools for the job.  Sure it can be done but there are much better alternatives.

I believe one of the Fortnite developers did a blog on some of the extensive work they had to do server side to get 50-100 players in an area.  So just using that as an example and my professional experience.

Well on the speculative side of things, obviously Anet would have to recode the entire netcode of UE5 from scratch to fit its instancing system that can have ~200-250 players in the same area, they wouldnt just take UE5 as is. The graphics part of the engine is not a restriction on this.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1