Strafing shifted from QE to AD

41 minutes ago, Rifton.7346 said:

What's up with these changes that come out of nowhere and make almost no sense?

Our beneficent dictators for life balance team got tired of having to redo their keybinds on new test systems, probably.  Was interfering with their firebrand axe faffing testing.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Didn't take too long to fix, but this was a nasty little surprise, and really shouldn't have been rolled out to all players.

Why on earth they couldn't have added a tick-box in settings for "Noob Controls" is beyond me.

Of course, now I'm just waiting for them to realise they screwed up, undo the change, at which point I'll have to rebind again.

*GOLF CLAP*

Great job there ANet. Really fabulous thinking /s

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

I was lucky, my secondary keybinds stayed intact.  I only had to move Q and E back to A and D to be back where I had been (I have strafing on left and right arrow keys, which are bound to mouse side buttons so where they are on the keyboard doesn't matter).

Oddly, my special action key is Q.  Although turning got moved to it, my bind of Q for special action remained as well and did not need to be reapplied.  Hopefully.  I haven't yet done something that requires hitting a special action to verify that the visual of Q in that field reflects the game knowing Q = special action.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taclism.2406 said:

Ok so the "bug" is you can have 2 functions bounds to Q and E when you log on ... After changing it once, its fixed, the normal message for "this key is already bound elsewhere" still pops up.
My point remains it takes 30sec top to fix and didnt messed all of your setup, and is a significant improvement for noobs - remember the steam release soon-ish. 

Well, it wasn't obvious what's happening, quick look didn't help. At first I only re-added A D, it still didn't feel right but I thought maybe that's it, and then after trying to play - skills just didn't work, couldn't play.

Re-checking with your comment gave that there are duplicates now. So probably Q E should be removed from turning, but others mention also "-" key, so better to check if there are no other duplicates.

So fix takes more. I'll try to do it soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

I was perfectly fine with the way the controls were and while going back to them takes a few seconds, I really don't like the idea that Anet didn't even bother to document in their changelog.

Just as they didn't bother to document that the trading post middleware was updated.

Not that I’m feeling fair towards them, but the control change is listed in the patch notes

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1

Add my +100 to those who are unhappy with ANet...yeah for the totally unnecessary remap, but even more...way more for them to just stuff it in the patch notes, and not call attention to it. Sure, it takes two seconds to redo the keybinds, but for goodness sake...let veteran players know about it BEFOREHAND...not after you make the change. Thanks for a solution in search of a problem in this one, devs! /facepalm

Edited by AnClar.1304
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

i mean having it standard is great for new players, alongside all the other default changes.

i do not understand why its only AD to QE that got changed even for almost 10 year old accounts. Other keys were changed to in the default setting but didn't enforce a key bind change ( the hot action key for example).

its this weird circumstance I'm more concerned about than the change in default key binds in general. It's easy to fix BUT WHY did it happen THIS WAY? 
if it were ALL key binds resetting regardless I would get it. it would be a game wide change that may or may not be possible other wise.

BUT WHY ONLY AD TO QE?

10 hours ago, Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

... why? legit. my brain is not able to cope with these big brain 5head changes

I've always had strafing on A and D. I don't use Turn Left/Right, because that's what the camera is for. 😉

In any case, this should be no big deal since you can easily change your keybinds back to your own liking. 🙂

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Um, yes they have (because news flash, not everyone plays the same way and the proof is the fact that people noticed this change from playing the game.)

On the flip side ... not really that big a deal. Just remap your key binds

I've yet to meet a single person that unironically uses tank controls. Even during the late MS-DOS era, using A & D for strafing was becoming a standard.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Having A/D mapped to strafing is the most logical way to do it and arguably the change should have happened years ago, but now is better than never.

Obviously, accidentally breaking existing players' controls is not what should have happened. Unsure how that one slipped past QA. I did notice that I saw no impact from the change so it's possible the repro rate is low enough that it didn't happen to them?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Graymatter.4723 said:

Who is AD turning? Most of us are people that use Q and E for strafing and mouse turn.

Most people (atleast I hope) have A and D mapped to strafe and don't have character turning mapped at all. 

Character turning is a waste of buttons. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Had this happen to me. Almost ran into a wall before I figured out what was going on, haha... I usually use the mouse to turn, but occasionally fall back on those keys. At least re-mapping them to what they were before was easy.

Still a bit baffled why this even happened in the first place. Wasn't it supposed to be for new accounts only?

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

Had this happen to me. Almost ran into a wall before I figured out what was going on, haha... I usually use the mouse to turn, but occasionally fall back on those keys. At least re-mapping them to what they were before was easy.

Still a bit baffled why this even happened in the first place. Wasn't it supposed to be for new accounts only?

The spagetti code strikes again.

6 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

The spagetti code strikes again.

Ohhhhh.

I remember first hearing the phrase 'spaghetti code' in SWTOR, where the devs would have to explain why armor colors broke when they were trying to fix characters' eye textures...why, when KOTFE launched, companions mailed their pants to players...why elderly NPCs eye textures got replaced with their face texture...why every single Imperial NPC in the entire galaxy suddenly started carrying swords strapped to their back.........

...given that, it makes a lot more sense now why something like this got bugged. XD

To anyone affected (rather surprised about this, I have had AD for strafing since pre release and I don't keyboard turn), see this as an opportunity to break with this habbit.

At least give action cam a try if you can't break with keyboard turning.

If that absolutely doesn't work, remapping 4 keys shouldn't take long. To anyone not remembering what their QEAD keys did... after hundreds to thousands of hours of gameplay, really?

The change might be disorienting but is absolutely in line with how nearly all games of todays day and age (and probably the past 15 years, keyboard turning was already oudated when GW2 launched) handle WASD movement and as such will be easier for new players.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1