Mounts

Yaki.9563

Can you provide some timeframe on when lvl 80s with the expansions will get access to their mount and masteries without making a lvl 10 alt or doing the PoF story?

• For characters that are already over level 10 and missed the initial unlock checkpoint, we will attempt to grant the unlock every 10 levels. This is true for both Play for Free and expansion accounts. We are working on additional methods to offer this unlock to players not caught by this fallback solution.

Edited by Yaki.9563
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Yaki.9563 said:

Can you provide some timeframe on when lvl 80s with the expansions will get access to their mount and masteries without making a lvl 10 alt or doing the PoF story?

If you don't want to wait you could make a new character. Getting to level 10 can be very quick, especially if you have spare tomes of knowledge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yeah, as mentioned, either you could make a new alt or level a new character up to a lvl 10 bracket, or you could likely just do the first pof mission, which is about 10-30 minutes long. Depending on how optimized or fresh your early gear is.

You basically chase around a herald of bathazar around, put out the fires on a town, and then they give you a raptor for helping them. There are some story points but they're mostly setup for pof and a introduction to Balthazar's servants, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Yaki.9563 said:

I might do that since I get a BL key out of doing the story. I shouldn't have to though and seems like an odd workaround, which is why I was asking for a timeframe. Is it a few days or weeks or months?

It is not optimal but they did mention they are looking at other methods to as well? So far the easiest is to do a level ten toon.

I myself have books to make like ten level 80s. A couple of hours or a couple of sPvP matches should have you set. There are also some tomes of mentorship in HoT.

12 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If you don't want to wait you could make a new character. Getting to level 10 can be very quick, especially if you have spare tomes of knowledge.

Or just explore all major cities in Tyria. If you explore all 6 cities fully, you end up with enough exp to get to level 10, including from finishing them.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JayHog.3280 said:

Or just explore all major cities in Tyria. If you explore all 6 cities fully, you end up with enough exp to get to level 10, including from finishing them.

The tutorial instance will take you to level 2, then my normal approach is to do a heart (which is guaranteed to get you to level 3) then whatever hearts, events and map completion bits are nearby until I feel like it's slowing down (around level 6-8) and just use tomes to get the last few levels, but I'm not sure how long that takes (I think under an hour, but it's hard to tell, especially since I tend to get side-tracked while doing it).

But any method will work, it's probably just a matter of what each person likes doing. I definitely don't think it's worth anyone in the OP's situation waiting for Anet to add a fix, once it's in it will probably be the best choice for players returning to the game and things, but for now it's definitely going to be quicker to get the raptor yourself.

• Like 1

What about getting a mail that sends you to LA to speak with lets say Mounty McMountpants that will sell you a mount.
You get the inworld RP reason to get a mount, Arenanet gets a simple solution that they have done in the past instead of the overly complicated overdesign they are doing now.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Vancho.8750 said:

What about getting a mail that sends you to LA to speak with lets say Mounty McMountpants that will sell you a mount.
You get the inworld RP reason to get a mount, Arenanet gets a simple solution that they have done in the past instead of the overly complicated overdesign they are doing now.

I'd love something more immersive, but I wouldn't say what they're doing now is complicated. You get to level 10 and as well as the level up pop-up you get one telling you the raptor is now unlocked. Then the hint box appears pointing to the (newly visible) mount button, letting you know how to use your new mount.

The only reason the OP is finding it more complicated is because all their characters are already level 80, so they can't level up to unlock it. (If you're above level 10 you can get it at any 10th increment - for example I got it at level 50.) But that's a temporary problem and as this topic shows already has at least 2 solutions:
1) Unlock the raptor in PoF or EoD as before (anyone who has the expansions and a level 80 character can do them, you don't need to do the preceding storylines first).
2) Make a new character and level them to 10.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The only reason the OP is finding it more complicated is because all their characters are already level 80, so they can't level up to unlock it.

Ah, that's actually a valid point if this is indeed the case for OP (wasn't mentioned in the post and doesn't really sound like it). If someone has all char lots full with lv80 chars that they don't want to delete (birthday gift dates, or other reasons) that's really unfortunate if they have no other option to unlock the mount. Though think that's likely a very niche case, as someone with that time investment on characters is also quite likely to have gotten the expansions at some point (not guaranteed, but I think more likely than not).

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Yaki.9563 said:

I might do that since I get a BL key out of doing the story. I shouldn't have to though and seems like an odd workaround, which is why I was asking for a timeframe. Is it a few days or weeks or months?

It’s just how they do things.  Yes, it would have made sense to flag all level 80 characters with access to the mount upon the initial login.