Why do people think Beetle/Griffon users are Suffering without a skyscale? They're 2-3x faster and FUN And Don't sap will to live unlocking! :)

Do you believe Springer Griffon/Beetle users are living in pain without a skyscale?   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Springer Griffon/Beetle users are living in pain without a skyscale?

• No, those mounts are fun!
    • My main form of transportation is a waypoint. What's a mount???
    • Yes. They just don't know it yet.
    • I don't want a bird, i want a dragon! Not negotiable!
  2. 2. Did you enjoy or look forward to the skyscale grind?

• Yes, I LOVE long and lengthy, unneeded grinds. And i wish every scavenger hunt quest was 400-800 parts repeated in the same map 5 times rather than 10-40 items completable in a day :D
    • I thought it was fun for the first 40-100 parts or so.. Then it kinda felt like it dragged on.
    • I would rather remake a new character leveled 1-80, gear it up in full ascended with crafting 1-500. raid in blues, and then delete the character rather than redo the skyscale grind EVER again.
    • I would do it again just for fun! :D It was my idea of awesome!

I've seen a lot of talk on the fourms about skyscale. The 'Casual friendly mount' with a grind made by one of the most masochistic of grinds to a new player.

If you go, I don't have a skyscale. And i don't really care about one, i'd rather do my ascended armor/weapon + strike looting masteries first and fly on a springer Griffon / Beetle first. People will think you're crazy. While you fly around at 500 mph like you're suffering. 🤣

Griffon is so fun to fly, so fast, and while it comes with a skill curve, it's fun and rewarding!

Sure, it might take 2 days and masteries to learn how to use a griffon, but that sure beats the 3-22+ days of skyscale's 800 part scavenger hunt sapping away your will to live imo. 

This one person loves griffon so much, they used it to win #1 in a SKIMMER RACE of all things in HALF the time while making LEISURELY LOOP DE LOOPS to look at the scenery.  How is loving your life and some of the most unique mounts that set GW2 apart from other mmorpgs "SUFFERING?" 🤣

Skyscale will offer you: a slow but diverse all in one mount that can go anywhere and dive roll short distances. It's a nice mount. But you can try it's demo for free in ls4:6 and.. Honestly. People say i'm missing out on gw2 for having it and not being in any rush to complete it until after my Ascended armor, Iceblood strike looting masteries, runes, and ascended weapons. But i find myself dismounting the demo skyscale all the time just to use my springer Griffon and beetle all the time now!

Some will argue. "But Griffon can't gain height, skyscale can." 

Fair point. But springer jump, +20-30% Mount Energy regen Jadebot chip, bond of vigor, and mountains/beetle mitigate that loss. And oftentimes, Skyscale still needs to land 2-4x MORE OFTEN for long distance travel as the 'flying' mount while not really going that fast either. . 

This player shows a example demo of Griffon vs skyscale starting from a gentle slope. For example. For distances under 5-10 seconds long. Both mounts are pretty much even. The skyscale reaches the dirt hill at 5 seconds in, vs 7 for the griffon (who spends their first 5 seconds prepping the dive).

But after those 5 seconds are over. The griffon can move at 2-3x the speed and glide to everywhere on a vertical map with ease. 

Q: But what if the ground is flat, and there's nothing to jump off of? Then wouldn't griffon be useless?
A: Yes, but why do you want a flying mount for FLAT ground? You can still get on a beetle or raptor. Which can still travel at like 2x-3x the speed of the skyscale. I'm not saying it's a bad mount.

It's a great all in one that can get to anywhere slowly, and it's roll lets it be 2 seconds faster on under 10 second long trips (as raptor would), but there's plenty of great and fun alternatives that are so fun to play.

There's even beetle racing guilds and griffon flying guilds, just for the fun of it! 

But i might want to fly out of a pit in Dragonfall / Afk midair / Get stuck on edges for no reason, and read a map afk midair. 
Oh shoot yeah. Griffon can't afk midair. You can only fly into mountains at mach 5 while peeking at a map haha. You learn to live with it. 🤣

The cost can be boiled down to:
o Griffon: 250G / 1250 Gems + 1 day grind + 1 legendary bounty. Scavenger hunt: 40 items.  Maybe +- 2 days to learn how to fly it and mastery it. Maybe 2g for 250 research notes for +20% energy regen Chip. The legendary facet bounty might be good to focus on first as finding a group to complete it can be a major gate before the 10x 25g heart items. 

- Synergies: I: Springer dismount trick to gain 1 springer height. II: Jackal evading mastery to constantly dodge and rarely take damage. III: +20-30% energy regen jadebot chip to negate most height loss. (Could probably combo Springer -> Skyscale -> Griffon to dive anywhere you wanted too if you wanted too?)

o Roller beetle: 160-200 Gems (L4:4), 20 part Scavenger hunt, 1-4 hr grind: Must kill 2-3 populated world bosses/leylines that spawn every 2 hours and have people chasing them naturally anyways so you can just pop there and get it. 

- Tricks and Synergies:  Griffon/Springer Can be used to instantly recharge the energy bar to boost again if needed anytime. Springer's Fall dmg mastery makes the Big air mastery semi useful. Very good on just the first 2 mastery unlocks. 

o Skyscale: 1000-1200 Gems (Ls4:1-6) + 4-20/+ day grind + 60 part scavenger hunt x7 + 250 of each currency + 100-300g + 22 days of charged quartz grinding/timegates + 3 days manual waiting + Costs to your sanity and self enjoyment.  The living season 4 mastery points/POF story pretty worth it, but the sanity cost and will to live and siphoning time/resources away from ascended armor/enjoyment is the main cost over gold/gems imo. 

- Tricks and Synergies:  Flys everywhere really slowly but has a dive roll. 

Tl;dr: Skyscale is a GREAT all in 1 mount for 1 mount users. It can do everything, very slowly and is very casual friendly. But if you master the Springer Griffon and Beetle, you can travel at 500 mph anywhere you want with a few seconds of prep at 2-3x the speed! 😄.  And it lets you have fun while enjoying some of the MOST unique mounts of gw2! And there's no 800 part sanity draining grind to unlock them. Only 10-40 parts for 1 day vs 4-20++ days for skyscale that could be used on first Ascended grinding/strikes /alts! 

{A great tool to using every mount to it's max can be either: A: getting radial mounts with Remember last used to use every mount quickly. OR B: just having manual keybinds like Z Springer, X beetle, C Griffon, V Default mount/raptor/griffon. etc.  Then you can use each mount for whatever purpose you want it to be!.

I still wouldn't mind a more.. enjoyable skyscale grind experience. But believe me. It's on my todo list... After Ascended armor (5/6), ascended weapons + weapon swaps (1/3), Iceblood strikes looting masteries (2/3), Doing literally anything else (10/10), going for leisurely flying strolls for enjoyment (10/10), and.. not continuing skyscale's horrible grind anytime soon ever -10/10. }

Feel free to discuss. Are you a user without a skyscale who lives in misery, or do you have fun enjoying some of the other unique and diverse mounts in the game, zipping at mach 5 or spinning around a map 3 times just since you were bored and felt like it. Who is tired of being constantly told they are suffering? 🙂

Edited by Sunchaser.9854
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

Can't hear you, having too much fun flying and getting my 5/6 pieces of ascended armor and working on 1/3 of my Ascended weapons first, and icebrood strike looting masteries first. As well as having griffon and beetle races and flying 2-3x faster too much to care about SlowScale 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 10

If i have a 100 mph flying car that's super fun to drive. Why would not having a 20 mph scooter bother me when i have other stuff to work on first? (Ascended gear, dungeon runes, strikes, fractals, maybe raids, etc?)

Sure, the 20 mph scooter can fly anywhere.. slowly.. And the 100 mph takes 2 days to learn how to drive. But i'm really fine honestly. I hear you have to go into the Scooter owner's house and perform a 200-800 part series of tasks, grow a chicken from scratch. Pluck a chicken's indiviual feathers from 17 different chickens. obtain 17 seperate grains of salt that can only be picked up one at a time instead of all at once on seperate continents for the first 1/80 parts of the Scooter seller's wishes, then i have to rep grind with their entire extended family. Attune the Skybacon egg of glory to 500 kills and find the other 17 egg 5 step attunements, then who knows what other tasks are there. Really. I'm just gonna fly on my 100 mph fun to use car anywhere.

I'll finish the 20 mph skyscale when i, a multi mount user, have pretty much not any use for it other than short distance rolling 😛 

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

GW2 is an MMORG - Massively Multiplayer Online Racing Game.  Like Mario Kart, but with demon cats riding beetles instead.

15 minutes ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

Wait, GW2 is actually Griffon Simulator 2022, without the trolling Air Control Tower seen in flight simulator games.

• Haha 3

I would characterize skyscale as the "jack of all trades, but master of none" mount so as such, it feels convenient when you don't need it for anything specialized and then starts feeling like an overrated clunky mound of garbage that you spent too much time on the moment you do need it for anything specialized.

Anyway, I definitely feel very prestigious driving it when I'm trying to go under a low hanging ceiling and my skyscale perches on its outer face edge because I went too high, so now I have to pull back, descend some, and then go forward. 10/10, would embarrass myself again. I think it's what I deserve for trying to feel cool because I had more free time than somebody else did.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah, exactly. Everyone acts like skyscale is the end all be all..

But.. It's a slow 20 mph helicopter while if you use multi mounts. lots of them have pretty excellent uses, speeds, and niches they dominate at.

Yet everyone will call you a troll if you want to fly at 3x the speed or.. Don't really care about a mount that's good if you want a slow generalist and is casual friendly. But comes with the exact opposite of a new player grind?

If the things were switched so Skyscale was the 250g mount and griffon the skill and timegate earn intensive one, that could be weird. But it feels weird that the fast and rewarding mount is the fast to unlock one.

While the slow, casual friendly, able to do anything but slow mount is locked behind a grind that i've heard many the same casual players said they quit the game over. Because they wanted a skyscale for their 1 button mount play. wouldn't TRY any other mounts or mass downvote griffon being able to fly. And then act like you were suffering if you couldn't fly at 20 mph a hr like mollasses with a 100 mph mount.

I'm good, i'll do it eventually.. When im bored and have nothing else to do. But i honestly feel like spending 2 days to master griffon was faster than 7 days of getting bored on skyscale and abandoning it after like 100 items only for the 17 parts to have 5 subparts each. 

• Confused 10
  • Sad 1

I wonder who told you that skyscale is a must have Mount. Whenever I’ve seen discussions about skyscale it’s more about having one is convenient for certain situations. Like every other Mount. No Mount is better then others. Anet did an amazing job making all of them valuable in their own way. Everyone has their favorite. Let them have that.

this topic comes off as salty to me for some reason. It’s great that you enjoy your mounts and you don’t have to get the skyscale to enjoy them. I don’t think anyone else says any different. The topic was not really needed, but it is interesting to see where this discussion will go. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

When your natural thought processes are in 230 wpm/apm with a apm to match, You tend to use what you have. Otherwise it's like attempting to think in a 5 year old's vocabulary. Apm in sc2 and Wow is often rewarded as the faster you can react, explain a raid mechanic or dungeon route, often the faster you can complete the dungeon, accomplish content quicker, and raid faster and more successfully or execute a strategy such as split navigating 2-5 armies or control groups in sc2 while also being able to semi micro each and spellcast to a limited degree. 

Pretty much if you have 237 wpm, literally. You get to be well aware that most people read or speak at 30-50 wpm and have to spend 80% of your time waiting for people to catch up. But when you have a 5 second window to explain a raid mechanic like. 'Fire is bad, The boss will mind control a healer and become immune to all damage until 3 totems are killed simultaneously. Everyone split and kill a totem and at the same time. Don't kill the healer". It saves a fair bit of wipes for a 5 second dungeon attention span and in sc2, having a 200 apm available to you really does help with a lot of strategies. 

Even though uh.. Some of gw2's strongest specs are... literally 10 -> 2 apm. And.. Even the mount preferences kinda shows that. 

Edited by Sunchaser.9854
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

You need to stop worrying so much about what other people think. It's a game, the point is to have fun so if you think one mount is fun and you're not interested in getting another do that. You don't need other people to reassure you that you've made the right choice and to reinforce it by parroting your opinion back to you, it's clear you already know what you enjoy.

But since you asked my opinion is that the process of unlocking the skyscale really isn't that bad. I was disappointed that the sick skyscale and egg collections didn't have hints like the scales one did, because it meant relying on in-game info gave you nothing but a fairly large area of the map to search, so I used the Wiki's map to narrow it down. But other than that I thought it was fun and I actually liked seeing my skyscale grow up over time. I think it took me longer than most people (about 7 weeks I think) and I was in a weird position because I love dragons so a dragon mount is an absolute must-have for me, but I hate grinding anything and didn't want to get burned out so I deliberately took it slow, just doing a bit each day. For example when gathering map currency I set myself a maximum of 50 per day (total, not per character or per currency). Once I'd gotten 50 of whichever I was collecting that day I'd only keep going if I was in the middle of an event I wanted to finish, and if I didn't feel like getting any I'd do something else instead.)

Since getting it I've used it a lot and find it really useful, but I use all the other mounts as well. My least used is probably the roller beetle because I'm terrible at controlling it and almost never in that much of a hurry. I find the griffon really fun and it's usually my default mount (the one set to the mount key and therefore one of the side buttons on my mouse) because if I don't have time to pick one I probably want a quick get-away.  At other times I'll use whichever I think is best for what I'm doing and often switch between them to get where I'm going.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I think OP is at the phase of "I was super jelous but I realised i don't want it", "I don't need your kitten skyskale anyway while I have other mounts they are MINE and they are better". Couldn't or didn't want to do quest so nows the time for desperate laugh on all of this players who did. Such is life in denial.

Of course no ones talking that Skyscale is some ultimate mount, but if OP wouldn't have some imaginary partners to argue with than he would not post this post.

As for me.

Answer 1. I really couldn't care less.

Answer 2. I don't even remember, I grind so many things and it's mostly not a problem when you doing somethinh slowly and for fun.

For me all mounts have it's purpous, skyscale is more convinient in enviroment where you would need change mounts a lot. He can do many things at once and is not as punishing when you fail jump with rabbit.

Edit: Also ask all of this ppls coplaining from time to time that maps have too many mobs, why they would love skyscale who can stay in the air so much.

Edited by Biziut.3594
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It took me 3 weeks at release of skyscale to finish. That was when there were daily long waits to get the next part. Skyscale was meant to be a journey, not to be rushed and completed within a few days. I thought it was fine. Think of it as a legendary mount collection. Not necessary, but in the end the convenience is worth it. I’m actually doing my second account skyscale unlock now. It still doesn’t feel so bad. I just Think that people can’t wait to get it so they bash on how long it takes. Back at release, the grind was even more because you actually had to do all map metas to get all currency. You all have so many options now for that currency. It has improved drastically.

Edited by Dark Red Killian.3946
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

When your natural thought processes are in 230 wpm/apm with a apm to match, You tend to use what you have. Otherwise it's like attempting to think in a 5 year old's vocabulary. Apm in sc2 and Wow is often rewarded as the faster you can react, explain a raid mechanic or dungeon route, often the faster you can complete the dungeon, accomplish content quicker, and raid faster and more successfully or execute a strategy such as split navigating 2-5 armies or control groups in sc2 while also being able to semi micro each and spellcast to a limited degree. 

Pretty much if you have 237 wpm, literally. You get to be well aware that most people read or speak at 30-50 wpm and have to spend 80% of your time waiting for people to catch up. But when you have a 5 second window to explain a raid mechanic like. 'Fire is bad, The boss will mind control a healer and become immune to all damage until 3 totems are killed simultaneously. Everyone split and kill a totem and at the same time. Don't kill the healer". It saves a fair bit of wipes for a 5 second dungeon attention span and in sc2, having a 200 apm available to you really does help with a lot of strategies. 

Even though uh.. Some of gw2's strongest specs are... literally 10 -> 2 apm. And.. Even the mount preferences kinda shows that. 

Well. Kudos for you to achieving that. (If you did) However. When you do type like that, it can seem like a word salad and someone that talks way too fast. Which can be exhausting to listen to/read. It’s better to keep it short and on point then ramble on and on about things that doesn’t really need to be said. Thinking before you speak (or post) is a thing to consider if you want ppl to pay attention to all of it. 

most ppl play it for fun. Not to overcharge their brains with reaction times and challenges. It is good to just chill for a while. You should try it

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

Well. Kudos for you to achieving that. (If you did) However. When you do type like that, it can seem like a word salad and someone that talks way too fast. Which can be exhausting to listen to/read. It’s better to keep it short and on point then ramble on and on about things that doesn’t really need to be said. Thinking before you speak (or post) is a thing to consider if you want ppl to pay attention to all of it. 

One option is to write whatever you want to say, then proof-read it before hitting reply.

A lot of my posts start off as a sort-of stream of consciousness block of text, then I have to sort it out to make it readable to other people (which often means cutting out whole paragraphs where I'm going off on a useless tangent). But then I do a lot of editing and email comms for my work, so it's almost a habit at this point.

• Like 7

I, for one, proudly salute Your rebellious passion with the same fervor as Your passionate rebellion, fellow wanderer.
Don't ever let any mass of nameless confused faces wear Your willpower down.

That being said, rebellion for the sole purpose of rebellion usually amounts to very little.

Let's say there is no general consensus about the dragon being the two wings to rule them all.
Would it bother You exactly as much, if You weren't constantly seeing the skies filled with flapping wings and peoples' timeless advice of "just skyscale lol"?

MMORPGs are made to be played for a long time, but the inner workings of the human body aren't up to date with this idea - basically we're running a high-end software on an abacus - which, ultimately, makes us pretty miserable at feeling fulfilled by long-term endeavors. The clash is obviously inevitable.
As such, if You look at it from a broader perspective, the issue isn't the mount itself, but the general mindset of the riders You meet, and the aforementioned underlying human design and its exploitation by entertainment - people are chasing distant destinations with no regard for the wondrous lands they're traversing on the way.

Spoiler

And for all the fiery distaste I have for certain adorable features - like, say, my favorite yet-to-be-remedied punching bag of the excrementally conceived implementation of the build "templates" - GW2 is not only one of the most bang-for-your-buck propositions in the industry, it's also one of the most beautiful ones, the latter naturally being a bit subjective.
Still, I love Tyria to bits.

Which, of course, they complement with other kinds of actual entertainment - music, podcasts, movies... pick your poison - on the side, while "grinding" for that one item.
The reason varies with each person: seeing the map for the hundredth time, not exactly liking the ambient dialogue, stumbling upon Vsauce or Kurzgesagt and wanting to binge the living daylight out of every single video... or just the plain old "that's how I roll".

Then there's the way of how the game is structured: optimal gameplay is everybody on the same spot ('cuz of all the limitations imposed by boons), moving for the most part only short distances between meta objectives, and because the open world is filled with people of absolutely all walks of Tyrian life, it needs to acknowledge and adapt to that (by devs' design).

And the last major thing is optimization within the constraints of all the other important factors, which is usually observed as a tiny evolution of its own, with people over time adopting faster and faster techniques depending on the current environment and their increasing skill level.

Adding all of these up, the skyscale is the fittest singular answer to this particular equation so far.

Which - and that is my main point - is not meant to be a rule, because the equation has a small army worth of variables.
People tend to omit information when talking to make their speeches succinct or have more of an impact probably exactly because of our short-lived nature. We're designed to burn bright and turn to ashes young, but aren't doing it for a long time now, and our world is moving more and more away from this concept every second.

I recall a quote that stuck with me all the way back since WotLK, a flavor text on Merlin's Robe:
"Remember, there's always something cleverer than yourself."
Doesn't mean You have to be a doormat and bow Your head to everybody, but most things turn out to be more complex than we give them credit for at first, and awareness, after all, does precede control.

But! if You're as little as half as authority-defiant as I am, words will do very little.
So go in, change Your perspective on something, and try it out for real, in action, not just in talking.

Besides, I'd say You're going to enjoy the agility of the dragon once You've gotten it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I get what you're saying, i just got my skyscale and it was not a pleasent journey, too long for no apparent reason. 

I love Griffon but now skyscale is set as my default - if i bled for it, underwhelming as it is, i'm going to use it. 

I would love them to improve the skyscale flight, make it last longer (maybe a viagra achievement). 

• Confused 2

Honestly, some parts of Skyscale quest were really good — collecting eggs, scales, building a nest, feeding my dragon... but I genuinely hate unnecessary and unlogical quests like Rifts or collecting huge amounts of materials that seems to be random. Why would you need 250x Kralkatite Ore, Dragonbrand or Mistonium? It's just a piece of leather.

Every mount has it's own purpose. Griffon is fun, but only when you find a high place to jump off. Beetle works only on a flat terrain and long distances. Skyscale is good for exploring heights, skipping obstacles on a ground, mobs.

• Like 1