Gemstore makes me want to quit playing

I can sympathize. Personally though, this is part of why I like mixing and matching and dislike outfits. Mixing and matching allows me to be creative and express that to others and "show off" through that means. No one can take that away from me by dropping thousands on a store. (Tho mainly it's so I enjoy the look.)

Also, related to this, I mainly have gone for legendary weapons so far if I really really liked the skin, or had somewhat of an idea in mind for what kind of look I'd use it with. For me, the main deterrence is if I don't like the looks. And as long as special footfalls are legendary exclusive, they do have something cool nothing else in the game has.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

10 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

So for me personally, the effort involved makes legendaries feel better. Unless they actually sell Nevermore, I don't feel like this applies, for me. I understand your concern now and I'm sorry if you're feeling this way. I do think Gen3 is really epic, and it would be hard for them to make them feel less than a GS item unless they started outright selling legendary effects. I will say though, they're probably cutting off their nose to spite their face if they do this, because the economy alone already makes legendaries more expensive in terms of gems. 

I like to mix and match both in-game rewards and gem store items, and I would only really buy a GS weapon skin if I felt like it synergized crazy well with another setup over a legendary.  

Unfortunately, there are quite a few GS items that have effects when you draw them. An example would be the Vermilion Tail Feather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Wallieappel.2640 said:

Unfortunately, there are quite a few GS items that have effects when you draw them. An example would be the Vermilion Tail Feather.

Yeah but it still stops short of special protectiles and footfalls. And like I said, they're cutting off their nose to spite their face with that. I don't want them to go any further than this, but if they do, it's their coffin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Wallieappel.2640 said:

I feel some people are really missing the point I'm trying to make. It's not about getting praise or anything, just about legendaries losing their significance when there's a plethora of epic looking stuff  that can be bought by anyone. Some argue that you don't need any skill to make a legendary and I definitely agree with that. I'd even say that it shouldn't be possible to convert gems to gold. Legendaries make me want to play the required content (like Nevermore has you play fractals and the armor has you play raids) and farm gold, but I just feel like wasting time if I can make that money 5 times faster in real life.

Also, I don't believe it if you're just making your character look good for yourself. Of course you want people to see what epic gear you've got. It's fashion wars after all. Why else do people ping their mats before they forge their legendaries? Wouldn't you feel more proud of having them if all other skins were way less epic?

I can't buy Chuka and Champawat...so not sure what I would buy in the gem store that would allow me to change stats and is an actual weapon.  I had to go do the quests and collections.  So no matter how much I earn in real life, it would not have paid for it.  Some legendaries yes, you can buy.  I don't feel slighted because someone bought a legendary.  Their loss in story or fun in game, but that's fine. 

I disagree on being able to convert to gems.  The option allows for some players to buy items off the gem store that they might otherwise not be able to pay for or prefer to not buy with their credit card.  For many it's a personal goal.

Also, I spend more hours looking at my character than anyone else.  Why would it not be for me. That's rubbish.  If someone else likes it, well great, I'm not doing fashion shows.  If I have to watch it bounce around the screen for x hours per day then I want to have something that I enjoy looking at.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

So wait...your problem is that people can't worship you because they have alternatives to look good and you can't be the cool guy?

Then you probably play the game only for your own ego boosting and to look down on other players. This not that kind of MMO, if you want something like that try another MMO, seems like a game like Guild Wars 2 where everyone is equal isn't for you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Wallieappel.2640 said:

Wouldn't you feel more proud of having them if all other skins were way less epic?

Nope.

Let's pretend that Legendary weapons required true mastery of the most difficult content in the game. That each weapon  represented a truly epic achievement. Something for others to recognize as a sign that you are a truly awe inspiring player. Got it? Under these circumstances a much smaller portion of the player base would own a legendary weapon. A tiny fraction really. Even the best players would be unlikely to have more than one legendary weapon.

Now, let us assume that in that alternate version of GW2 (a version in which you possessed, lets say, Nevermore which one could only get via a collection that involved having to win six consecutive sPvP tournaments), a really nice looking weapon with blue roses and  pink fire and all sort of glowy BS was added to the gemstore......would Nevermore stop symbolizing your complete and utter mastery of structured PvP in GW2? Would people who see the Blue Roses and Pink Fire Staff of Visual Noise a thousand times  a day be as impressed with it as they would be seeing your staff for the first and only time? Would they bother asking the owners of the Blue Roses and Pink Fire Staff of Visual Noise where they got it, or would they walk right by those people to ask you where you got that skin they didnt even know existed?

If what matter is what the item represents then it doesnt matter if there are other things that look nearly as flashy. My high school championship track and field trophy was much flashier than an Olympic gold medal. Pretty sure no one would confuse the two.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wallieappel.2640 said:

Also, I don't believe it if you're just making your character look good for yourself. Of course you want people to see what epic gear you've got. It's fashion wars after all. Why else do people ping their mats before they forge their legendaries? Wouldn't you feel more proud of having them if all other skins were way less epic?

I make my fashion for myself. Not others. Do I feel good when someone tells me my asura is cute? Ofc I do. That’s natural. But that is not the reason why I make my fashion. If no one likes it, I wouldn’t care cause I like it and it’s my cute rat. That’s me though. Can’t speak for others.

and to add to this. I have ad infinitum. Know what I do with it? Transmute it to blue quaggan backpack. Cause that’s the backpack I think fits my cute rat fashion best. Not all legendaries are good looking. 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I don't really notice what other players are wearing or using as weapons.  Why would I? The only time one can even see such things is when one moves one's own character up close to another.  Most of the time I am in combat when near others, or on a Mount, or dealing with inventory or using the Trading Post, etc. 

I'm afraid I don't have the need to have my ego boosted by other players commenting on my gear.  If it appeals to me, I am satisfied and content.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds like you would benefit from comparing yourself to others less.

Yes, there's much flashier armour and weapon skins in the gemstore, but that really doesn't take away from you having a legendary and the work needed to get one (especially gen 2).

Really it just seems like you're upset because you want to look flashier or shinier than others.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Don't agree at all. While I hate a lot of the gem store stuff just by virtue of the fact that it's garish and ugly, the level of "fanciness" is irrelevant. In Guild Wars 1 there wasn't even a gem store, and yet some of the most prestigious armour sets in the game were actually (in my opinion) very ugly compared to some sets that were easy to obtain (Obsidian for example.) Because the prestige isn't necessarily in the fact that it looks better than everything else, but rather the prestige is that it outwardly represents your achievements to other players who can recognise it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I had no idea that legendary weapons were a status symbol. I never look at what other people are using, and would not know what a legendary looked like.  I have no interest in legendries or skins.   I do not craft, and my gear is good enough. 

I like the gem store because it allows a way to financially support the game, but I never buy skins.  I rarely use the skins that drop/ ANet gift/wherever they come from. 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Wallieappel.2640 said:

a token of your effort and skill as a top tier player. Other players immediately understand you must be one strong dude

Lol what? Nope, no one i know thinks the guy with cool cosmetics is pro or has great skills.

Its just cosmetics man, you're looking into things. Like the old saying goes, "Dont judge a book by its cover"

Also legendaries provide larger benefits than cosmetics. But i'd agree if there will be achivements that gives cool skins for players who actually have skills.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

In game legendaries are far more beneficial than gem store skins that I'm surprised this can even be debated. I have a few gem store skins and zero legendary weapons/armor. I would gladly trade the gem store skins any day for a legendary. 

What really needs to be talked about is access to legendary items. Casuals need something arduous in the open world to help them get there. I don't do raids or other group content and feel a bit left out because of how I prefer to play. Having to grind out ascended is expensive and stat changing ascended is tedious. It would be nice to have something to help me manage builds easier. I would gladly grind for OW legendary weapons/armor.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Wallieappel.2640 said:

I feel like epic gear should be something that makes you want to keep playing the game and try out more challenging content.

That's a valid opinion.  But there are other opinions that are valid, too.

And what else is there to do after you’ve seen everything to game has to offer? If I would just buy, then what incentive is there for playing raids or T4 fractals? Money? To buy what?

Well, some play content they like, just to have fun (and the rewards are only a welcome addition to that). I do have several guild mates that still play a lot WvW, raids, fractals although they have every legy/skin those content gives as reward.

I understand this is a free game

No. Only a limited version of the old core game is free as a form of a free game trial. 

Legendary weapons aren’t just looking awesome, they’re a token of your effort and skill as a top tier player. Other players immediately understand you must be one strong dude and are looking forward to crafting one themselves one day.

Are you really sure, you are talking about GW2?  😉

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

you know people can just pay raider boosters to get these cool stuff anyway right? even if it is locked behind hardest raid. 

ffxiv locks their most cool looking weapon behind extremely difficult raid, but after l found out people don't get into trouble for paying raid sellers, l am buying one. 

Well I think guildwars2 have the best gemstore in options. As you can convert gold to gems or put real money. Or combine. And actually none of the items there is necessary to enjoy game. Its all just cosmetics.  Legendarys isn't all about the look, and you can't please with appearance all audiences. Like many people like more realistic armors and weapons, but I prefer shiny, metalic, skimpy outfits with big shiny weapons. It is just preferences. Bl chests is a bit different strory but even there you have options. 

• Like 3

7 year player here, Ive pretty much always been a casual story player but I do own a couple legendaries (2 weapons and a backpiece but I didn't even think about crafting them til the pandemic) I haven't touched the game since I finished EoD

That said I completely agree, not so much because of the flashy affects but because of the fact I never got an email from Anet in those 7 years up until these last few months and what's the main portion of the advertisment ? cosmetics 🙃 

• Confused 3

The fact you can transmute any visible item through the wardrobe system kind of renders your point null and void, my dude.

I can have an entire armory of precursors, legendaries, rare exotics, or whatever I want, even on a crappy low-level drop -- just as I can make a Nevermore look like a Green Wood Staff.

But like, you do you, man.

Edited by itspomf.9523
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/4/2022 at 11:02 PM, Wallieappel.2640 said:

Legendary weapons aren’t just looking awesome, they’re a token of your effort and skill as a top tier player. Other players immediately understand you must be one strong dude and are looking forward to crafting one themselves one day.

For the people reacting to this line spcifically, I'm not talking about legendaries how they're currently in the game. I'm saying "Or so it should be", meaning that I'm of the opinion that the best items in the game shouldn't be easy to get. For me getting the best stuff is incentive to to keep me playing. Raiding is fun, but after a few clears, you've kind of seen it. How many games do you play over and over after you've finished them? As of current I think Legendaries (The best stuff in the game) don't mean much. You might get them for the skin, but like I said, the GS is full of better looking stuff, that it kind of kills the motvation to pursue them. If you think the benefits of stat swapping etc. is good enough incentive to pursue them, then that's fine, but for me the skin matters most.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:27 AM, Khisanth.2948 said:

If your greatest concern is that people aren't worshiping the ground you walk on because there is a flashier peacock around then you have my condolences. It must be terrible to live with that kind of condition. 

For the the people saying stuff like this or similar remarks. It's not about worship. It's about people finding recognition for the time they've put in. In Guild Wars 1, people proudly showed their titles, even now I still see many people cling on to GWAMM title, even though that was 10 years ago. Isn't that pride? Same goes for diploma's and trophies in real life. Pride is something else than lacking self-convidence.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Wallieappel.2640 said:

For the the people saying stuff like this or similar remarks. It's not about worship. It's about people finding recognition for the time they've put in. In Guild Wars 1, people proudly showed their titles, even now I still see many people cling on to GWAMM title, even though that was 10 years ago. Isn't that pride? Same goes for diploma's and trophies in real life. Pride is something else than lacking self-confidence.

ofc it is, and people making these comments are being disingenuous and a little mean spirited. When you play a game where you develop an avatar over time,  how that character looks is a part of that development, that's not being a peacock its getting pleasure out of how your character looks.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Wallieappel.2640 said:

but like I said, the GS is full of better looking stuff,

That is purely subjective and something that no game developer can account for. If they made the gemstore weapons less flashy, etc, they would be aesthetically MORE pleasing to someone else. Right now the best looking weapons in the game, to me, are earned in game. None are in the gemstore.

• Like 4