Ranger Pets

SoulGuardian.6203

I'd like to make the following suggestions for Ranger Pets.

Point #1

Too many Moas, Drakes, Scorpions... yes, I do mean the devours, too many spiders; and then... then, there's a pig. A pig!?

Point #2

Pet skills are way too similar to one another.

Point #3

Actually, there's no 3.

I just thought I'd try to look smart enough for your consideration. 

All comedy aside; (not)

I'd like a few different pets.

Suggestions for new pets.

● Snakes.

Either a Boa or anaconda, a rattle snake or cobra.

● A bull

● A Permanent hound of Balthazar 

Alternatively give us a Rottweiler 

● And a special one.

Versions of mounts as pets.

Including: Skyscale, Gryphon, Jackal, and offcourse, our mega star, the raptor.

We could have a skill in one of the Elite Specs that can tame any wild animal until it's slain in battle, and I mean any Wild animal, beast, creature, etc...

Druid might be a good candidate for this... since, well, the poor thing needs so much TLC right now... it needs a hug... really does.

Ok my good people.

That's it for tonight... I think.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1. This post is really, REALLY long winded. Lots of fluff, hard to read.

2. I'd rather get the pets we currently have fixed (and maybe an actual pet tradeoff for druid rather than just a nerf- replace pets with a wisp that has f1-f3 utility skills, such as blast finishers and water, fire, or light fields). Too many core pets are just plain bad.

• Like 4

Everything Rainbow said.
+
We are not getting:
-Mounts as pets or mount sized pets. In pvp/wvw you get an issue of  "Why can't I ride this pet." and the stats being different that the mount.
-"Special" pets that make other pets 100% irrelevant.
-Mob pets that have not enough skills or have no lore/logical reason to be pets. (Like some mobs having less than a month lifespan IRL)
-Pets that are not animals/mobile plants. (Spirits and Elementals are a no go)

On 8/6/2022 at 12:28 PM, Beddo.1907 said:

Everything Rainbow said.
+
We are not getting:
-Mounts as pets or mount sized pets. In pvp/wvw you get an issue of  "Why can't I ride this pet." and the stats being different that the mount.
-Mob pets that have not enough skills or have no lore/logical reason to be pets. (Like some mobs having less than a month lifespan IRL)

Mounts as pets (juvenile raptor, Skimmer, springer, Jackal, skyscale, beetle, griffon) I think could be quite good. Could open the door for new utility (f2 Jackal barrier) or a new style of pet f2 (a 'charge' for the griffon f2, you press once to start charging over ~5s and you press again on a flip skill/let fully charge to do a burst hit based on charge). Would also give more hard CC options like pull via raptor f2 or knockdown via springer f2, and a new fire field option (maybe one that doesn't last 1s) with skyscale.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

More variety is good, but replacing existing pets just because you don't personally like them seems counter intuitive to that. 

That's my thinking too. I'm all for more pets (and pet types) being added but I don't see any reason to remove ones we've already got.

• Like 1

pet's I want:

Sand shark, awakened, scarab, tree people found in Brisbane wildlands, a pet that applies quickness, a pet that applies alac, a pet that summons more pets, snakes, a turtle without jade, a house cat, a pug, a flaming dog with three heads,

I might add more later

Edited by Infinity.2876
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, Beddo.1907 said:

Everything Rainbow said.
+
We should not get:

Everything Ranbow and Beddo said 

+

* Stats in WvW to be closer to PvE. 

* Longer leash for pets so they offer longer reach than normal weapons like during the first years (At some point they were nerfed to a 1200 range ) 

* Pets  rework on their attacks to they make sense: all melee pets with real close gaps which make the pet to stick, all ranged pets to have an evade skills to keep the range as much as possible (like carrion)

* Real support pets, there is no point to have pets skills to be offensive if the pets theme and F2 are suportish ( moas, turtle,etc...) . Those pets design should be to keep them in passive most of the time.

* Pigs F2 rework so they don't drop more enviromental kits but to give the skill directly to the ranger. Even auto equip would be better than what it is now. 

* using a supportive F1-F3 does not put the pet in combat mode attacking whatever is in range (moas, letuce dog, etc).. 

• Like 3

The best thing to do is to allow all creatures of the current families to be tameable, so that only the skin changes, and then let the Ranger select which skill they'd like to take for it.

For example, all the wolves, including ones not currently tamable, would just be one single pet which you'd apply a wolf skin to of your choice, and then chose which wolf skill and attribute combination you'd like it to use. Of course the skill still has to be family-restricted due to aesthetics (e.g a wolf howling).

This would make pets far more dynamic.

But I don't have much hope for  changes like this anymore, they won't even give Machinists any alternative pets besides a radioactive slime green robot, despite many different golem models existing in the game that could be modified for the role.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 3

I want an Aataxe.  

Also agree with pet drops not being actual drops because finding those kitten's in an open area is a nightmare.  Do lol though when the enemy picks it up too, I've only had that happen I think once with the pig's plasma.  

And agree with F2's not always causing combat.  I'd love to set something passive and use say smoke field and not have the smoke scale immediately ignore the passive command and go die...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think nerfing the Ibolga is not the way to go. I would rather see other pets get stronger so that I don't feel like I'm letting my team down whenever I go into battle with my Lightning Wyvern, or Siege Turtle. In all honesty, the Ibolga isn't actually that strong anyway, it just happens to be the best option out of what's available. I would much rather see pets get stronger in general. Having a pet is the entire reason I decided to main a ranger, I like animals and would love to see them actually become relevant  in the meta. Right now, it makes me feel like a bad person for enjoying having an animal bff.

I'm playing an Untamed right now, and admittedly, am not the best at skill rotation, but I think Stronger pets would do a lot to help that learning curve.

Edited by kcorion.7531
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kcorion.7531 said:

I think nerfing the Ibolga is not the way to go. I would rather see other pets get stronger so that I don't feel like I'm letting my team down whenever I go into battle with my Lightning Wyvern, or Siege Turtle. In all honesty, the Ibolga isn't actually that strong anyway, it just happens to be the best option out of what's available. I would much rather see pets get stronger in general. Having a pet is the entire reason I decided to main a ranger, I like animals and would love to see them actually become relevant  in the meta. Right now, it makes me feel like a bad person for enjoying having an animal bff.

I'm playing an Untamed right now, and admittedly, am not the best at skill rotation, but I think Stronger pets would do a lot to help that learning curve.

This has been requested so many times; not just in the forums, but also in other social media; such as Reddit, FB, Insta, Twitter, etc...

Pets are very close to useless, as they stand now in WvW, and Metas. 

They're not that good in general pve neither. 

Put a pet using its own skills, without you interfeering, in a fight against a low level monster, and it takes quite some time to kill it.

Pets get "Out of conbat" almost instantly against World Bosses, Champions... even a Vet can deplete their HP pretty quick.

Either increase pets health pool quite significantly or make their skills more effective and do more damage overall.

So yeah. Iboga was just about the most decent pet and was brought down to the other's levels.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 9:20 PM, Abyssisis.3971 said:

Realistically we just need 1 pet of each type, while giving us total customisation of it by being able to select its skin, it’s archetype and it’s skills from a pool of skills available to the pets based of its archetype.

This is actually an excellent idea.

I really hope ANet reads this.

It's one of the top ideas I've seen in a while.

Very good. 

You should suggest this in QoL thread too.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 2:11 AM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Point #1

Too many Moas, Drakes, Scorpions... yes, I do mean the devours, too many spiders; and then... then, there's a pig. A pig!?

We have only 3 devourer... if 3 is too many, what about felines? (almost triple)

I'm also supporting the customisable pets. 

2 hours ago, enkeny.6937 said:

We have only 3 devourer... if 3 is too many, what about felines? (almost triple)

I'm also supporting the customisable pets. 

Well yeah. 

@Abyssisis.3971 gave an excellent idea in how the pet system could work.

The many versions of the pets it's to give some variety, I suppose!?

I don't think that we need 3 of the same devours.

Felines are kinda different though, in my oppinion off course. 

It's not  set on stone, but felines do have their unique differences. 

ANet should really consider Abyss's idea.

We could have a customisable pet roster, that we could expand and choose skin, skills, etc...

On 8/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, Beddo.1907 said:

Everything Rainbow said.
+
We are not getting:

but then sand sharks, rock hounds, and similar animals that work as pets for ogres for example could become pets, kirins being cantha animals and pretty comon could become pets too, the fire version of the cheetah could be added too.

but even getting all those pets, what we need isnt new pets but better pets, pets that share your boons without needing a healer trait line for example, pets that share your stealth, maybe some felines that already have stealth skills.

Once we get pets powerfull enought to realy be usable, dont need to be mech level but something close, then adding new pets is a good thing to do.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 8:20 AM, Abyssisis.3971 said:

Realistically we just need 1 pet of each type, while giving us total customisation of it by being able to select its skin, it’s archetype and it’s skills from a pool of skills available to the pets based of its archetype.

Love the Idea since right now we have a few single pets that cant be swapped with someone from the same Family (like Iboga)

Another idea I had was offer more unique "Beast" skills like the Devourers can Tunnel with Devourer Retreat but why not turn that into a portal. That would offer far more utility and have a cool effect that a Soulbeast can utilize.

Unique Fields could be another part of this like why not let all the spiders provide a poison field as their beast skill rather than a thief Venom rip off. (swap them around)

• Thanks 1