Seeking recommendations for crafting.

Hello everyone.

I'm a returning player, long story short i never gave this game a fair chance to see if it really gets my full attention, for years i have played WoW and have become maybe enslaved to the holy trinity, to rng upon rng and grindfest instead of a brewfest, i still enjoy WoW especially the early versions of the game from Vanilla to Wrath of the Lich King for those of you who know about that, but in a personal level i can't throw my money and time at a company that's a shell of it's former self.

I have heard of people that crafting in this game isn't a big deal or the biggest source of income i keep wondering if this is really 100% accurate or if in some way i could have a steady income with crafting even if it is a small percentage, i would still take that because i really love to get into crafting in these games.

I'm currently playing as a ranger, and being a new player in many ways in GW2 and also that i never got into crafting, are there any 2 crafting professions hat could beneficial to me or also to other players?

Rather than making gold through crafting, have you thought about making gold by doing things in game? For example, doing Tequatl (world boss) is guaranteed 2 gold. Dragonstorm is 2 gold plus you can sell the Memories of Aurene you get (guaranteed) and you may get a weapon drop that is worth at least 20 gold.

You can also make gold by buying trophy shipments (e.g. using volatile magic plus 1 gold per shipment). 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Splat.7981 said:

I have heard of people that crafting in this game isn't a big deal or the biggest source of income i keep wondering if this is really 100% accurate or if in some way i could have a steady income with crafting even if it is a small percentage, i would still take that because i really love to get into crafting in these games.

A lot of players have all crafting professions at max level because if players wanted to craft ascended gear (best in slot stats) they had to craft it themselves (crafted ascended gear is account bound). That does mean that a lot of players could craft the things that are somewhat in demand and have a profit margin (until the supply is so high that the prices drop).

Crafting gives (more or less) only a profit, if you craft things every day that are timegated (and that will be in high demand now or in the future), that are behind collections (like some legendary gear), where you have to use ascended items (that can not purchased on the TP) etc. etc. A guild mate makes some money with building legy weapons and selling them.

So, it is a a small niche, but you could have some income. But for this you not just need to craft but also always look at the trading post.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Splat.7981 said:

I'm currently playing as a ranger, and being a new player in many ways in GW2 and also that i never got into crafting, are there any 2 crafting professions hat could beneficial to me or also to other players?

Look at the weapons your ranger is using and check the crafting professions that could make those weapons. This could be beneficial if you want to craft ascended weapons for your ranger some time.

Welcome back to GW2!  I played WoW until the end of MoP, and have not gone back.  Unlike in WoW, where crafting was a major source of income, you'll find it largely true that the same is not true in GW2.  

Fortunately all the gathering skills are open for everyone (you don't have to be an herbalist to farm plants, anyone can!).  My ranger has the classic pairing of leatherworking/huntsman so I could craft ascended medium gear for her and for longbows (when I use them).  My revenant has weaponsmith/armor smith for similar reasons, to craft gear for that character.  Other crafting such as cooking and scribe I have on less played characters, and simply have them craft as needed.  So if you want something to use for your ranger, consider what weapons you'll use, what gear you use, or if you'd rather skip all of that.  

For gold...you are usually better off selling materials.  You can sell some items that are once daily crafted items (i.e., grow lamps) or items that use charged quartz crystal for an ok amount. That varies a lot though.  You can exchange unbound or volatile magic for material crates, especially trophy shipments, and make some gold.

You won't be selling a Mekgineer's Chopper or Vial of the Sands for 15k gold though 😉

Setup an account on gw2efficiency.com (get an account API key) and use it to see what is profitable according to what you have on your account. Note that you really do need to play a while and build up material stores, both to max crafting and then to craft things to sell. If you're buying materials to turn into something to sell, you won't be making much.

Start by doing daily things - make a charged quartz crystal, and when your crafting is high enough, the 4 daily ecto refinements (leather, silk, mithril, elder wood). There are others, do a little research.

Whether it is truly worth the effort, I can't say, I do those things for my own crafting. But when I've needed to buy a bit of those ascended materials, they were expensive.