Are dungeons still a thing? - Golemancer runes

I'm working on an Asura Engineer and thought the Superior Rune of the Golemancer set would be a nice fit. Unfortunately, it seems you can only get it by running a particular dungeon on explorable mode, Crucible of Eternity. Or something? I think maybe I was in a dungeon once, years ago. 

Anyway, I keep reading that dungeons are basically dead and abandoned by Anet. Is that accurate, or just internet hyperbole? 

If dungeons are a thing still - what kind of misery are we talking about here to grind the tokens or whatever for a full set of Golemancer? Skyscale-level of pain? Less misery than that?

I'm fairly casual and not at all min/maxed (and my Engineer is a work in progress regardless) - how survivable is the dungeon for players not at the top of their game?

• Like 1

Dungeons aren't developed so are more abandoned by the devs than dead. People do them. Anet changed dungeon rewards recently, so they all award the same currency. So, I believe you'll need to do the dungeon once to unlock that line of rewards, but then can run any dungeon. The Tyrian Exchange Voucher and WvW reward tracks also can reward dungeon currency.

• Like 6

If you happen to play WvW or PvP you could do the CoE reward track, would get you some dungeon currency and one piece of armour with the Rune on it.  I think it would take doing a reward track 2 times to get a full set, 4 that you would buy with the tokens and 2 that you could salvage from the armour.

• Like 1

Lots of people still run them for the runes though lots of people still don't like to run them.

From what i've seen, finding a run that does all 3 Paths in 1 go can be a good easy source of like 300 Runes so that can actually knock out 300 in like 30 minutes, the problem with dungeons is it usually takes like a hour to find people to run a dungeon for 10 minutes. 

Most other mmorpgs have a automated dungeon finder, and self explanatory mechanics. Ascalonian Catacombs P1/P3 is a pretty fair path. P2 is still worth doing but the Ghost eater is a pretty much entirely UNEXPLAINED mechanic of a boss nobody really knows works past loose mentions of "I think you lift them into the air and suck them into traps?!?!?" and "The boss is invincible but sometimes you can do damage and it summons ghosts and sometimes you need to hit it when it becomes vulnerable which happens sometimes when you lift up the ghosts".

Coming from Wow or other MMORPGs, it wasn't uncommon for there to be like complex mechanics, but usually a good explaination like. "The raid boss has split itself into 12 copies, the 1 copy all players can see is the real one, Use ventrilo to find it" from a raid leader was usually good enough.  Most dungeons clear with people worrying incredibly about dps meters and quickness/alac, but tbh, most people aren't even clustered enough most of the time for the alac buffs to matter and 5k dps GROUP dps, not.. Individual is the bar to clear dungeon content. honestly. It's probably more of a worth just making sure everyone self heals since dungeons in gw2 often just have instakill traps spammed in one random tunnel of each dungeon and easily losable allies in a silent untalking mass that kills everything.

Honestly it's really kinda a poor dungeon experience coming from other mmorpgs. The talking style story dialogue should have been in npc dialog since of the SKIP SKIP SKIP mentality, lots of content is either zerg and collect free loot or instakills galore (fractals seem to follow this as well), there will be random parts where the dungeon is interupted by jumping puzzles. Which while i don't mind.. I don't see why they want groups of people in a dungeon to come together for random jumping puzzles on models thinner than a Charr's pinky toe.

But it shouldn't be too bad. You just kinda zerg it and if you see a P1,p2,p3. That can knock out half of your rune requirements in one 30 minute go. It's a shame. Anet does have some really good open world content and the LS at least have good quests.

Their dungeon models could probably stay, but completing redoing the dialog to be in game, as well as maybe adding basic dungeon 101 tip bars like "Dodge the rocks and press the switch to disable these traps", and "Lift the ghosts so another ally can suck them towards the traps so you can damage the ghost eater!", etc.

Could be really basic mmorpg design stuff to make the encounters more newbie / zergling swarms friendly imo. Dungeons are some of the most important part of most mmorpgs as well as group finders / dungeon finders and gw2 is uh.. Pretty lackluster. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice everyone - crisis adverted, though: on a whim I checked my wallet and discovered I had over a thousand of the currency I needed. How I earned them I have no idea, but I guess I've been playing off and on since the game launched so I must have accumulated them without knowing it. LOL

Anyrate, got the Golemancer runes, so I feel like a real Asura now. 

• Like 4

On 8/10/2022 at 5:39 PM, Squeesidhe.4761 said:

Thanks for the advice everyone - crisis adverted, though: on a whim I checked my wallet and discovered I had over a thousand of the currency I needed. How I earned them I have no idea, but I guess I've been playing off and on since the game launched so I must have accumulated them without knowing it. LOL

Anyrate, got the Golemancer runes, so I feel like a real Asura now. 

It is likely to come from the merging of the various dungeon currencies into a single one a couple of months back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1