August 23 Balance Update Preview

Rubi Bayer.8493

19 minutes ago, Peregrine Falcon.5496 said:

"The skill's current telegraph is very important for counterplay."

What?

Why is it soooo important to WvW "counterplay" that the Dragonhunter be frozen in place for almost 2 seconds in order to fire off their most powerful ranged attack when no other class has this same limitation on their powerful attack(s)?

The counterplay = strafing to ignore 90%+ of the dmg. It doesn't even cost a roll dodge to get out of it

It's rarely worth casting the skill in PvP except to scare people off node for a few seconds.

Also since this is on top of the page: LEAVE ENGINEER KITS ALONE

Edited by Saharo Gravewind.5120
  • Like 3

On 8/11/2022 at 10:59 AM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Improving Support Diversity

Firebrand and healing Mechanist are currently dominating group compositions. In this update, we're improving support-role diversity by adding stability and aegis to Tempest's shouts and giving Druids increased access to those boons as well.

We're also making targeted reductions to stability and might uptime on Firebrand and Mechanist builds to make room for other professions. Firebrand's high on-demand stability from Mantra of Liberation is too essential in Fractals of the Mists and other group content, while Mechanist's barrier and might upkeep are cementing it as a build that pairs together too well with a Quickbrand to meet a group's support needs.

In the immediate future, we want to make sure more builds can be used successfully. In future updates, we'll expand this further by shoring up more support and healing build options.

I really disagree with this thought path.

You shouldn't be focusing on "these 2 classes pair too well." If two classes synergise well together--that is a *success* in whomever was the architect behind those classes; not a failure.

You should be focusing instead on "what other pairs can we create that go well together." You should be asking the architects of the other classes to learn how to complement with the other classes better in FOTMs, raids, & strikes content.

Please do better.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Then may I point to the Developers on the Condi Issues in Core Gameplay? 

Objects take no condi damage. Which results in some events where you have to destroy catapults, canons etc, be annoyingly slow.

As an example, take the Event at Mudbay Digs in Kessex hills. On my level 80 reaper I can take those down in seconds, on my Condi build, it litterly takes longer than taking down a Champion.

It is one of the reasons for Veterans to advise new players to go for Power during leveling. 

Yep like the rocks/1st boss Sunqua too. Annoying.

• Like 1

All I can really chime in on is Warrior, but I was a little confused about one thing. At the top of the post it says popular builds are being buffed, like Power Berserker. Under Warrior, the changes listed cover things like Arms (but Power Berserker mostly use Discipline), Great Sword (which axe/axe is kind of the gold standard, with people only switching to GS to fill the gap in their location), and a couple of utility skills that are rarely in the common builds.

So, it seems to me the earlier statement/list of builds being buffed is a separate statement and not qualified by the specific changes listed below? Or do those details below describe the changes made to buff said builds? If so, I can't help but feel this misses the mark slightly, since this example at least doesn't seem to line up with the popular Power Berserker build.

But that said, I'm very happy to see these being addressed, and I'm excited for the direction this patch indicates. 

• Like 1

I love to see the stab for druid being placed on a glyph. Giving me a use for the class skills are quite nice, since a lot of the glyphs are either hyper situational or very underwhelming right now. One big thing that I do wish though, for druid, is that base alac generation was increased so I don't HAVE to take 3 spirits. Right now, if a fight needs condi cleanse or if I just prefer to take healing spring I'm kind of kitten out of luck and couldn't bring stab even if I wanted to. On the other hand, heal firebrand is still able to maintain quickness and have 2 open utility spots and mechanist has a lot of that functionality just tied in (on top of 1 or 2 available skills to swap). I'd like to see some build freedom on supports/healers so I can actually make choices that allow me to support (cc, stab, roots, etc), rather than tying me down to a single skill option and having no choice but to spam it.

Overall, a step in the right direction as long as long as good changes continue to happen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Anscenic.3268 said:

condi mirage was actually in a good spot for once, and its a fun build and isn't being overplayed either. no idea what these nerfs were for. completely uncalled for.

And it’s just annoying more than anything. Especially after what they did to alacren.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Anscenic.3268 said:

condi mirage was actually in a good spot for once, and its a fun build and isn't being overplayed either. no idea what these nerfs were for. completely uncalled for.

It seems like random nerfs to condi mirage. I don't get why they did what they did but okay. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Hrodric.6948 said:

I really disagree with this thought path.

You shouldn't be focusing on "these 2 classes pair too well." If two classes synergise well together--that is a *success* in whomever was the architect behind those classes; not a failure.

You should be focusing instead on "what other pairs can we create that go well together." You should be asking the architects of the other classes to learn how to complement with the other classes better in FOTMs, raids, & strikes content.

Please do better.

The statement isn't that Firebrand and Heal Mech synergize too well together, it's that those two classes/builds are so overpowered they dominate group composition in general. They just used these two classes as examples because they're both very overpowered right now. 

• Like 14
  • Confused 3

While I'm glad to see that both Firebrand and Mechanist are both getting a well deserved nerf while other healer based classes are also trying to be brought more into line with both of those classes, I still think it's not enough in the case of Firebrand. The sheer amount of utility Firebrand has within it, when compared to other specs vying for the same role, is purely ludicrous. Quickness Firebrands still easily provide more team utility via the plethora of ways to provide on demand Aegis and Stability, massive condition cleanse, multiple ways to either negate or reflect missile attacks, and still be able to heal allies for a semi-decent amount than other quickness sources. On the flip side, you can go for a Celestial build and easily bring more damage alongside similar levels of healing than other healers while still doing the same things as you were with the dps variant.

Until the vast amount of utility any type of Firebrand can bring to the table is either reduced to become more in line with the other specs that will compete for that role, or those same specs are brought up to be more in line with Firebrand utility, I don't believe there will ever be any true balance so that players have a good reason to play something other than Firebrand within the quickness role.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

31 minutes ago, Hyena.6157 said:

No mention of Heal Quick Warrior 🤔 

...No mention of any BladeSworn changes that will take it off the "Golem Classes" list, either. I guess DPS BladeSworn is meant to be a niche thing you switch to, for very specific encounters against enemies that break the mold of fast paced action combat. What a waste of an idea.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/11/2022 at 10:59 AM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

(PvE only) All ranger spirits are now immune to crowd control in PvE maps.

Any chance this will also be done for Kalla summons on Revenant (Renegade)?  It's incredibly frustrating when the effects of those skills get interrupted/messed with by bosses in PvE with no agency to prevent it other than timing a summon - and in some fights timing it doesn't even matter because of the amount of CC (Example: Whisper of Jormag)

Edited by Hot Sauce.2867
  • Like 4

Please Anet, I find it unbelievable that you bring yourself to buff Hammer on Revenant but not address the buggy mess that it is for it's second skill. Not only is there no sound but the hitbox is dislocated. Please fix it, it's been 2 years and on going now.

Do address Mallyx unbearable weakness to poison as well, the legend is extremely underwhelming in PvP with no way of ever being played properly because of it.

Edited by Shao.7236
  • Like 7

I'm 'meh' on the tempest changes. We still have to sacrifice our healing auras if we want to bring alac, which feels terrible if you're doing the boon heal support stuff. Auramancer healer was so fun but it's been gutted because everyone wants role compression and without alac you're not wanted anywhere. Also, no boons on Flash Freeze? Sadge.

Still hoping Anet can address it and perhaps put the healing auras into a minor trait instead, and put something fancy in its place in the GM slot. Maybe quickness, so Tempest could spec into either-or like chronos currently can?

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, firedragon.8953 said:

Make core GS for warrior a mobility weapon. Why is 100B stationary? This is now even more of a pain with BladeSworn being the "Sit and Wait" DPS. A bit more diversity would be nice! 

You're seriously asking the people who made BladeSworn a stationary DPS in a fast paced action combat MMO, to listen to reason and add mobility? To a core weapon too? I love your optimism! They saw 100B and thought to make a whole elite spec around it for EoD- Then weakened it gradually from one Beta to another to release, then the rotation became QWOP, then it was turned into a Heal/Quick class by sprinkling large amounts of pure copium over it... Well... If they do fix GS(100B as you said, mostly) at least Zerker will be the BladeSworn that BladeSworn isn't, so I'm with you!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I'm extremely concerned that this is going to force pirate ship then kite enemies into traps in WvW. It's already the strongest strategy and now with the mantra nerf, or punishes any alternative. Also it will have no impact on the support selection, firebrand is still mandatory.

To nerf this there should be a matching nerf to boon rips and/or stability and stunbreaks to alternative classes.

I quit when HoT forced a pirate ship meta and I'm confirm gonna have to do it again with this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2