Does anyone actually enjoy their Class?

JayMadIV.8721

On 8/12/2022 at 10:08 AM, JayMadIV.8721 said:

I'm browsing the forum and just about every class forum is filled with "ANET doesn't know what their doing, *insert class* is completely useless and not worth playing now" and whatnot.

I'm not here to argue about "constructive criticism" or whatever. Ya'll can fight about that on your own

I just want to know, is there a class that is generally liked overall, and players feel like it is actually in a good, fun, effective place?

I think classes are headed in really good directions especially with the new balance patch coming soonish. But I would say gaurdian is generally a well liked class by the masses, but then again so is necro.

Edited by Ryou.2398
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Generally when people complain about something, it's because they WANT to enjoy something more that they already enjoy.  Complaining comes off as negative, but usually it comes from a place of caring.

There are a few situations that might cause someone to complain:

-They want to play a spec due to theme, but they don't enjoy the gameplay design.

-They want to play a spec they find fun, but the damage/defense/utility is undertuned.

-They used to enjoy a class but then changes were made to either change the gameplay or undertune performance. 

I think a lot of players have a favorite spec or class, and if that class isn't viable currently, they will complain, which is fine.  Balance in this game is pretty horrendous between classes and between power/condi.  This latest update is trying to balance things, but they have a long way to go for most of the undertuned specs.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ryou.2398 said:

I think classes are headed in really good directions especially with the new balance patch coomin soonish. But I would say gaurdian is generally a well liked class by the masses, but then again so is necro.

To add to you comment, In terms of likability they go off two concepts. The viability and aesthetic style the class:

1. The class that has both wins which is obviously Guardian, I mean everyone wants to play a noble paladin and in this game boon have always been king of PvE/PvP.
  2. The next on down is Necro, which since it is an evil archetype is more on the viability side, disagree if you want but Evil characters are Inherently less popular.
  3. Finally we have Ranger which is of coarse the most aesthetic pleasing character to play ever since WOW.

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/player-statistics

Edited by Mell.4873

1 hour ago, Mell.4873 said:

To add to you comment, In terms of likability they go off two concepts. The viability and aesthetic style the class:

1. The class that has both wins which is obviously Guardian, I mean everyone wants to play a noble paladin and in this game boon have always been king of PvE/PvP.
  2. The next on down is Necro, which since it is an evil archetype is more on the viability side, disagree if you want but Evil characters are Inherently less popular.
  3. Finally we have Ranger which is of coarse the most aesthetic pleasing character to play ever since WOW.

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/player-statistics

Hey thanks for responding, I just have a few nitpicks here, necromancer is mostly popular due to laid back low intensity builds as necros is usually the popular choice for this even in sp rpgs. Then ranger is also usually know for its ability to solo across lots of mmos, however I wouldnt say its widely popular for its aesthetics, but there are many who just love pet classes no matter what.

Edited by Ryou.2398

3 hours ago, Ryou.2398 said:

Hey thanks for responding, I just have a few nitpicks here, necromancer is mostly popular due to laid back low intensity builds as necros is usually the popular choice for this even in sp rpgs. Then ranger is also usually know for its ability to solo across lots of mmos, however I wouldnt say its widely popular for its aesthetics, but there are many who just love pet classes no matter what.

Yeah you nailed it, maybe the Dark Souls crowd like Necro. I mean for example my wife wanted to play with pets she could name so hence Ranger. I almost had to drag her away to try Mesmer which she now likes more.

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Haha 1

I do enjoy playing quite a few professions (mesmer, necromancer, elementalist and thief).

That said, it doesn't mean that I am satisfied with the overall balance of these professions. "Numbers" aren't really part of what I seek for my enjoyement, unfortunately they are necessary to "exist" within the ruthless "meta" that rule over GW2 end game.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 5:08 PM, JayMadIV.8721 said:

I'm browsing the forum and just about every class forum is filled with "ANET doesn't know what their doing, *insert class* is completely useless and not worth playing now" and whatnot.

I'm not here to argue about "constructive criticism" or whatever. Ya'll can fight about that on your own

I just want to know, is there a class that is generally liked overall, and players feel like it is actually in a good, fun, effective place?

Yup! Tempest.

Solid in pve, Meta in pvp, and ~meta~ in WvW zergs. And the signet fire/earth tempest is a beast for roaming.

I can play my build just about anywhere and i enjoy it alot.

Specter is also in a pretty good spot in all gamemodes and fun to play!

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 11:08 AM, JayMadIV.8721 said:

People on the forums tend to be the most vocal about issues they have about the classes. It isn't to say all what people say are negative. I post quite frequently on the forums about necromancer and I have a laundry list of issues I have about the class, but that isn't to say I don't enjoy the class, I do! And I love the class a lot!

Do I Genuinely enjoy necromancer? Absolutely. Not a big fan of Death shroud, but I do like Reaper's Shroud, Sand Shades and Harbinger shroud quite a bit. I really enjoy many of their utility skills and weapons and the concept of paying in life or inflicting conditions onto myself for power. Aesthetically I enjoy them as well.

If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't be so vocal about the issues I have with it. I never say a thing about warrior or thief. And that's because I don't generally enjoy them all that much. I don't have specific issues with them because they're not designed for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/13/2022 at 7:58 PM, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

New warrior espec: The Exhibitionist

Summon the power of the legendary Exhibitionist to transform into a powerful avatar. Applies 1500 stacks of Confusion to foes and 30 seconds Alacrity to allies.

Edited by taara.3217
  • Haha 1

I'm still quite happy with my Scrapper main, especially for playing solo and open world content. Very high sustain, below average damage (which I basically have since I've started playing Engineer), high mobility and versatility.

My Holosmith build also works pretty decent. Far away from being efficient in terms of DPS, but highly functional and self-sufficient.

Sure I can play other classes, but I still prefer these two over everything else. And those changes, the good ones and the bad ones, do not really change anything for me. The most drastic nerfs I faced, resulted in massive improvements. I was forced to think outside the box and figure out alternatives. In most cases, the alternatives turned out to be better than the original. My current Scrapper build is extreme compared to everything I have used in the past. But it fits my playstyle. This is what playing Engineer has been for me for the past 10 years, adapting to changes and searching for alternatives. Reworking builds is exhausting and can be really expensive. But for me, that is part of the fun.
-
Is there a class people enjoy in general?
Minionmaster Necromancer for its simplicity. It carries you through most of the content and allows you to enjoy the view during your adventure. It does have a small taste of laziness and the 'farmers' utilize it, but that does not make it bad for everyone else. If you are new to the game, this can be a very good entry class/build. And if you are not new to the game, it is still a decent option. It is one of the very few class/build options that faces very little criticism from the playerbase and almost none from those who play it.

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870

I think the issue is every class has shortcomings which are totally stupid and could have been prevented. Of course certain classes are much more powerful than the others but at the end of the you can see across the game that very questionable design choices are being made. This is why, and no matter how small these shortcomings can be in case of best classes - they still can be discussed on forums which is the place to discuss such things I would suppose.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 5:08 PM, JayMadIV.8721 said:

Thing is, its a difficult question to answer.

I myself find all classes enjoyable and dont stay too much on just one, but the problem is, what do you prefer to play as, or how?

put rev as example, its a mix between warr and thief, but the energy mecanic and all the time it has had no power build makes it so many many people,me included, complain, its a lack of smoothness and versatility that makes us both like and hate it.

Now take firebrand for example, incredibly powerfull, guard has allwais had decent to meta builds in every mode and tipe of build, what do guards complain about? probably that firebrand is pretty boring to use, spam buttons and a lot of things happen without much need to think, dh? its pretty static with traps and its skills and not the fastest class to move around with, not counting willbender.

Thief? fast, medium dmg output on power, but uses 2 buttons and needs good positioning, enjoyable, but requires good thinking and good gameplay, spectre? the oposite, 2 butons, shrowd to become immortal and tons of dmg, its good, but maybe les dinamic than say daredevil, or not as fullfining as deadeye.

What i want to say is, all clases and elites have good and bad things, and so there will allwais be people complaining, why does x has less dmg? why does y just needs 2 butons to do 10 things and i need 10 butons for 9?

there are times that you realy find good critisism here, why not change rev mecanic so it feels less punishing and bothersome?, why does condi builds do much more dmg than power builds? why does mech have that much power when pets, even sacrifiing ranger traits to get pet traits, cant even reach its ankles? everyone has their opinion, and thus people complain, if there was a class that was powerfull, fun, fullfiling, verstile and everyone loved.... then why have 9 classes when we could all play 1 and be all happy? thats just how life is, nothing is perfect, and looking to improve and not being complacent is good, not so much wanting to strangle pleople online XD

Well I love the game and elementalist is my jam.
The gameplay is fun to me! But I still realize both the class and the game in general are not without flaws both big and small even if I am enjoying my time. For the rest, yes people tend to be overly dramatic over the balance of their favorite class but it is just the nature of a video game if you ask me.
To be fair though the past few patches did not help cool down the temperature 😄.

Edited by Guybrush.4762

On 8/17/2022 at 4:37 PM, taara.3217 said:

Summon the power of the legendary Exhibitionist to transform into a powerful avatar. Applies 1500 stacks of Confusion to foes and 30 seconds Alacrity to allies.

I would have said: "Remove your armor and flex your muscle, dazing nearby foes and inducing a burst of shame into your allies encouraging them to finish the fight as soon as possible. You lose your armor rating. Within 300 range, up to 5 foes are dazed (2s) and allies gain 10 might, fury, quickness and alacrity for 10s."

Edit: Skill category? Of course it's a glamour!

Edited by Dadnir.5038
  • Haha 1

Personally I love my Holosmith and Harbinger in WvW! I've created over a dozen builds for them and I used to play them extensively. Regrettably I haven't been able to playGw2 in a couple of months after anet basically ended Linux support when they implemented an unlisted change to the game.

I play engineer since before it was cool. If cool is the word to describe the greenness that is going on out there in Tyria. 

Most specifically I adore engineer because gives me the chance to play everything. 

at PvE:
Power dps - Scrapper or Mechanist 

Condi dps - Mechanist 
Quickness power dps - Scrapper 

Alacrity power dps - Mechanist

Heal alacrity - Mechanist 

at WvW

Power dps - Scrapper (Juggernaut)

Heal support - Scrapper (cleanse boy)

I mostly enjoy Scrapper.. but it's nice to have a class that can do everything ! So yeah, how can someone not enjoy this !?!

12 hours ago, Kougiou.5634 said:

I play engineer since before it was cool. If cool is the word to describe the greenness that is going on out there in Tyria. 

Most specifically I adore engineer because gives me the chance to play everything. 

at PvE:
Power dps - Scrapper or Mechanist 

Condi dps - Mechanist 
Quickness power dps - Scrapper 

Alacrity power dps - Mechanist

Heal alacrity - Mechanist 

at WvW

Power dps - Scrapper (Juggernaut)

Heal support - Scrapper (cleanse boy)

I mostly enjoy Scrapper.. but it's nice to have a class that can do everything ! So yeah, how can someone not enjoy this !?!

This is literally the root of why people get so frustrated. They see two classes have the ability to do everything and then some & they can't even get their original purpose patched in.

I don't want it taken away from you, just want other people to have those options as well. The Summer of Sadness the balance has been these past few months is hopefully over though & we can hopefully progress towards a balanced/equal opportunity game vs. "Play the favorites."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/22/2022 at 10:32 AM, Voyant.1327 said:

This is literally the root of why people get so frustrated. They see two classes have the ability to do everything and then some & they can't even get their original purpose patched in.

I don't want it taken away from you, just want other people to have those options as well. The Summer of Sadness the balance has been these past few months is hopefully over though & we can hopefully progress towards a balanced/equal opportunity game vs. "Play the favorites."

I've always found the greatest cause of frustration to be impotence.  That is, when people are confronted by a problem that they cannot solve on their own.  It's one of the reasons why the Engineer forum was so chill at launch; back when combo fields were important, the ability to spam different fields or finishers let engineers solve just about any problem.  My starter profession was engineer, too, and I had a great blast learning how to do all the crazy stuff.

That is... partly what makes people so frustrated now.  Our professions are in direct competition with each other in PVP and WvW, which means that slight differences make it so one either gets kicked from friendly teams or obliterated by enemies.  In PVE our professions are in an indirect competition with each other for space in groups during high end content.  In this way, the social pressures that prevent us from playing our professions are just as real as any mechanical pressures that prevent us from winning with our class.

On 8/17/2022 at 10:48 AM, Stx.4857 said:

Generally when people complain about something, it's because they WANT to enjoy something more that they already enjoy.  Complaining comes off as negative, but usually it comes from a place of caring.

There are a few situations that might cause someone to complain:

-They want to play a spec due to theme, but they don't enjoy the gameplay design.

-They want to play a spec they find fun, but the damage/defense/utility is undertuned.

-They used to enjoy a class but then changes were made to either change the gameplay or undertune performance. 

I think a lot of players have a favorite spec or class, and if that class isn't viable currently, they will complain, which is fine.  Balance in this game is pretty horrendous between classes and between power/condi.  This latest update is trying to balance things, but they have a long way to go for most of the undertuned specs.

Pretty much what I was going to say. People don't complain about classes they hate (unless it's demanding for them to be nerfed into the ground so they offer less competition). They complain when it's something they generally enjoy, but there's something annoying them about it. Or when it's something they enjoy, but it's undertuned such that it's not competitive in the content they want to play, so they want it buffed so they can play it more.

On 8/19/2022 at 4:47 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

I would have said: "Remove your armor and flex your muscle, dazing nearby foes and inducing a burst of shame into your allies encouraging them to finish the fight as soon as possible. You lose your armor rating. Within 300 range, up to 5 foes are dazed (2s) and allies gain 10 might, fury, quickness and alacrity for 10s."

Edit: Skill category? Of course it's a glamour!

Dazed? I was thinking taunted and blinded, myself.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:37 PM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

I've always found the greatest cause of frustration to be impotence.  That is, when people are confronted by a problem that they cannot solve on their own.  It's one of the reasons why the Engineer forum was so chill at launch; back when combo fields were important, the ability to spam different fields or finishers let engineers solve just about any problem.  My starter profession was engineer, too, and I had a great blast learning how to do all the crazy stuff.

That is... partly what makes people so frustrated now.  Our professions are in direct competition with each other in PVP and WvW, which means that slight differences make it so one either gets kicked from friendly teams or obliterated by enemies.  In PVE our professions are in an indirect competition with each other for space in groups during high end content.  In this way, the social pressures that prevent us from playing our professions are just as real as any mechanical pressures that prevent us from winning with our class.

I think people should take a page out of my book (and probably a large portion of the population) 

Stick to one profession and make every type of build from it. I mean I have been lampooned many time on Mesmer forum for even suggesting a Support Chronomancer build since its not technically Meta what ever that means. I did it anyway and brought it into Strikes and Fractals even to replace (bad) Healbrands.

For the most part you should not follow the benchmark website I mean the highest DPS build now is Untamed but you the APM of an esports champion to pull of the 40k dps. 

• Confused 2