enough is enough

21 minutes ago, nafeesh al dija.8972 said:

was dropped in a bowl with international players,

can't chill with wvw after work and chat with my pple in my language,

i terminate beta after a few min,

do whatever you like with wvw, i dont care anymore,

(says a veteran wvw player on lvl 9000)

I'm not trying to minimize or argue with what you are saying, I'm just trying to understand what happened. Did you have a specific guild chosen and not get placed with them, or did you go into the beta as a solo player? I'm on a NA server, so I'm wanting to keep an eye on what happens with the EU server at the start of this beta to get a better sense of what to expect later today when the NA beta begins.

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

ranks mean simply nothing in most cases, as the karmatrain people have focused on rank-farming...

i nearly didn't play at all the last month and got the info easily in time about alliance beta. so IF u really were able to miss the beta call, u barely played AND are zero connected to the environment of Wvw, like all players are in discords, where you could have read it also 2000 times

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

16 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

I'm not trying to minimize or argue with what you are saying, I'm just trying to understand what happened. Did you have a specific guild chosen and not get placed with them, or did you go into the beta as a solo player? I'm on a NA server, so I'm wanting to keep an eye on what happens with the EU server at the start of this beta to get a better sense of what to expect later today when the NA beta begins.

NA have few of the problems that the EU servers have since almost everyone  can be expected to know English. As such Alliances need no language segregation. In Europe, however, it's a totally different story as at Germany, France, and Spain have the general English speaking abilities of a rock, English is generally absent from the public space as everything is dubbed. As a result people seldom get to hear it spoken even if they learn it and due to this they generally suck hard at speaking English.

Likewise, many countries, including my own , has the national language and English as an international language. They have German, French, and Spanish as extracurricular classes, however, since they're largely unused in daily life, unless people have a relation to those countries their ability to speak and understand it is at a low level. Most people never even learn a third language.

Due to this, language mixing in EU Alliances is going to result in a lot of mental ache and frustration as people will simple be unable to understand each other save for basic calling out.

As someone who only know my national language and English bbeing in an Alliance where a large portion of Spanish only speakers are present means I'm unable to communicate with them in written form and joining Dicord would only result in me hearing gibberish. As a result this week is largely RIP for me as I'm unable to find people to play with except to do wordless PPT.

The OP is in the same situation.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malus.2184 said:

NA have few of the problems that the EU servers have since almost everyone  can be expected to know English. As such Alliances need no language segregation. In Europe, however, it's a totally different story as at Germany, France, and Spain have the general English speaking abilities of a rock, English is generally absent from the public space as everything is dubbed. As a result people seldom get to hear it spoken even if they learn it and due to this they generally suck hard at speaking English.

Likewise, many countries, including my own , has the national language and English as an international language. They have German, French, and Spanish as extracurricular classes, however, since it's largely unused in daily life, unless people have a relation to those countries their ability to speak and understand it is at a low level. Most people never even learn a third language.

Due to this, language mixing in EU Alliances is going to result in a lot of mental ache and frustration as people will simple be unable to understand each other save for basic calling out.

As someone who only know my national language and English bbeing in an Alliance where a large portion of Spanish only speakers are present means I'm unable to communicate with them in written form and joining Dicord would only result in me hearing gibberish. As a result this week is largely RIP for me as I'm unable to find people to play with except to do wordless PPT.

The OP is in the same situation.

Thank you for taking the time to explain those language issues. As an English speaker on a NA server, I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to get placed with a group of people I couldn't talk to or understand, in a game mode where fast, accurate communication can be vital. What I was trying to ask the OP though was the mechanics of how they ended up in that situation. If they had tried to enter the beta with a guild who spoke the same language but the OP got dumped into a different group, that is one kind of structural issue. On the other hand, if the OP entered the beta as a solo player and then got placed in a group they couldn't communicate with, that would seem to be a different kind of sorting issue.

Your detailed response made me curious about something else too. Did the different language groups in the EU organize for the beta? For example, I know on one NA server there is a Filipino WvW guild that speaks both English and Tagalog in their Discord channel. It's been a while since I've seen them but I would assume that they planned to enter the beta as a guild so they could be placed together. Presumably the various EU language groups have similar guilds that speak their own languages. Were such guilds able to enter the beta together? That's the kind of feedback that Anet would most likely need to hear.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Thank you for taking the time to explain those language issues. As an English speaker on a NA server, I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to get placed with a group of people I couldn't talk to or understand, in a game mode where fast, accurate communication can be vital. What I was trying to ask the OP though was the mechanics of how they ended up in that situation. If they had tried to enter the beta with a guild who spoke the same language but the OP got dumped into a different group, that is one kind of structural issue. On the other hand, if the OP entered the beta as a solo player and then got placed in a group they couldn't communicate with, that would seem to be a different kind of sorting issue.

Your detailed response made me curious about something else too. Did the different language groups in the EU organize for the beta? For example, I know on one NA server there is a Filipino WvW guild that speaks both English and Tagalog in their Discord channel. It's been a while since I've seen them but I would assume that they planned to enter the beta as a guild so they could be placed together. Presumably the various EU language groups have similar guilds that speak their own languages. Were such guilds able to enter the beta together? That's the kind of feedback that Anet would most likely need to hear.

Right now guilds are just placed where they pledge. There's no language markers to them so it's pure luck if they end up in an Alliance with a language they can understand. And while there are exceptions, like dual-language guilds, they're rare. It's more common to find dual-language guilds in Germany, you're pretty much out of luck when it comes to France or Spain though as dual-language guilds are extremely rare. Even people being dual-language, especially in France where the nationalistic pride is borderline arrogant.

They'll sort themselves in time with deciding that certain Alliances are unofficial <language> Alliance, however, unless ANet makes official <language> Alliances you're pretty much up the creek for the first placement.

It's extremely frustrating and essentially means that Allianes with some mixed languages are pretty much RIP as people are unable to communicate with each other. The issue already exists with the current link system I was on Blacktide for a time and whenever we were linked with a (DE) server the quality of WvW dropped noticably since nothing could be coordinated since one half was unable to understand the other half.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

ranks mean simply nothing in most cases, as the karmatrain people have focused on rank-farming...

i nearly didn't play at all the last month and got the info easily in time about alliance beta. so IF u really were able to miss the beta call, u barely played AND are zero connected to the environment of Wvw, like all players are in discords, where you could have read it also 2000 times

Good for you?

I have recently picked up playing WvW with my husband, and enjoy playing it with him but not into it alone. I don't play daily, and I'm not super invested in the format otherwise, which also means I'm not in a WvW guild. In other words, no, I did not pick up on the beta. That does not make me "less than".

Anyway, now I can't even play with him, even though we're on the same network and literally sitting next to each other. There's no way to get in a team together, and that is still something that could've been though about?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Nyghtslave.6152 said:

Good for you?

I have recently picked up playing WvW with my husband, and enjoy playing it with him but not into it alone. I don't play daily, and I'm not super invested in the format otherwise, which also means I'm not in a WvW guild. In other words, no, I did not pick up on the beta. That does not make me "less than".

Anyway, now I can't even play with him, even though we're on the same network and literally sitting next to each other. There's no way to get in a team together, and that is still something that could've been though about?

Lol join the same guilds? Make your own guild?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nyghtslave.6152 said:

Good for you?

There is a way to get in the same team together and it is the only way: Pick the same guild for WvW. It is the way it works in the beta and it will be the way after the restructure. Instead of being on the same world you have to be in the same guild. Not a big difference.

21 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

NA have few of the problems that the EU servers have since almost everyone  can be expected to know English.

This is a misunderstanding of the North America servers, which is actually all of America (North+South) since everyone in the west is going to be connecting to the NA servers along with alot of OCX (Australian, etc.) players as well. Just in the United States alone there are many, many languages and various non-English languages are official languages depending on your state, for example the south has alot of French and Spanish speakers.

I know that alot of people outside the US think of it as one large, monolithic country that's all the same but its more like alot of small countries with a federal government shared between them.

You are not "expected to speak English" and in fact this is a kind of racist view of America by easterners. I would say at least 30% of my game time is spent with completely non-English speakers, especially variants of Spanish which I've had to learn to read over the years to play online games from NA.

All this language stuff is just players complaining about something they don't want to deal with. You can and will get used to seeing and even understanding other languages once exposed to them on a regular basis. Video game vocabulary is fairly limited and this game makes it even easier since you can directly ping POIs and other locations when sharing information in map and team chat without even saying much.

If you want a well-populated game mode going forward without the severe balance problems that the individual server system creates you need to be willing to make sacrifices.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

Lol join the same guilds? Make your own guild?? 

1 hour ago, Rose Solane.1027 said:

There is a way to get in the same team together and it is the only way: Pick the same guild for WvW. It is the way it works in the beta and it will be the way after the restructure. Instead of being on the same world you have to be in the same guild. Not a big difference.

I do get that *now*, as I said, only recently picked up on playing WvW with my husband, and even then on occasion. But even if I can fix the issue for myself, the issue that lies at the core isn't fixed with it.

If I had decided to start playing with my own partner after restructure, I wouldn't be able to do that because we've been placed on different servers. Or my colleague, if they don't happen to be on the same server. You name it.

I think it would be great if there was a (limited) option to select the server you want to play on, so you can join someone you want to play with. To make sure the balance isn't upset, maybe have a system similar to what we have in PvE now where it says the map is full, and if players leave, others can join. Locking in is great, but it's taking options away for players in the future who want to get into it, but don't want to do it alone (like myself), and then won't have the option of playing with someone they know/trust. The current beta literally means I won't be playing WvW for the entire duration of the beta. And I'm glad I can lock in before restructure happens, but there needs to be a way to make it happen in the future for people who don't have that option because they're not playing yet.

Edited by Nyghtslave.6152
missed a word

3 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

This is a misunderstanding of the North America servers, which is actually all of America (North+South) since everyone in the west is going to be connecting to the NA servers along with alot of OCX (Australian, etc.) players as well. Just in the United States alone there are many, many languages and various non-English languages are official languages depending on your state, for example the south has alot of French and Spanish speakers.

I know that alot of people outside the US think of it as one large, monolithic country that's all the same but its more like alot of small countries with a federal government shared between them.

You are not "expected to speak English" and in fact this is a kind of racist view of America by easterners. I would say at least 30% of my game time is spent with completely non-English speakers, especially variants of Spanish which I've had to learn to read over the years to play online games from NA.

All this language stuff is just players complaining about something they don't want to deal with. You can and will get used to seeing and even understanding other languages once exposed to them on a regular basis. Video game vocabulary is fairly limited and this game makes it even easier since you can directly ping POIs and other locations when sharing information in map and team chat without even saying much.

If you want a well-populated game mode going forward without the severe balance problems that the individual server system creates you need to be willing to make sacrifices.

You do realise that the first argument in your post states that the NA servers are inappropriately named and that your second implies implies that people from Australia non-English speakers?

Also, unless people are unlawful immigrants or recent lawful immigrants, people in the US who speak French and Spanish have dual-linguistic abilities. NA geographically is considered an English speaking area of the world, Canada excepted due to the French-speaking territories that necessiates that a lot of things are presented in both French and English.

And being able to understand each other in written language is something that can be done over time as you come to memetically understanding what certain words or phrases mean. Now do the same in verbal language. What you describe is woefully inadequate for anything other than PPT-ing.

And your closing argument that it's "just because people don't want to deal with with it is so astoundingly arrogant in nature. Video game language, especially in a game mode where people use VC to be both social and share orders and information verbally is a lot more than limited.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nyghtslave.6152 said:

I do get that *now*, as I said, only recently picked up on playing WvW with my husband, and even then on occasion. But even if I can fix the issue for myself, the issue that lies at the core isn't fixed with it.

If I had decided to start playing with my own partner after restructure, I wouldn't be able to do that because we've been placed on different servers. Or my colleague, if they don't happen to be on the same server. You name it.

I think it would be great if there was a (limited) option to select the server you want to play on, so you can join someone you want to play with. To make sure the balance isn't upset, maybe have a system similar to what we have in PvE now where it says the map is full, and if players leave, others can join. Locking in is great, but it's taking options away for players in the future who want to get into it, but don't want to do it alone (like myself), and then won't have the option of playing with someone they know/trust. The current beta literally means I won't be playing WvW for the entire duration of the beta. And I'm glad I can lock in before restructure happens, but there needs to be a way to make it happen in the future for people who don't have that option because they're not playing yet.

You have a valid greivance, i believe that those issues are adressed further down the line in development, i also belive that the system remmembers the choice you made last time so in future betas it should auto place you with the last guild you selected. As mentioned above, if you happen to have a pve guild which has your whole social circle in it then things become alot easier

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Polar.8634 said:

So just join it for language, gw2 has 5 guild slots.

1. WvW fighting squad

2. PvE with your longterm friends and buddies

3. raid / raid training

4. random streamer community

5. fast-farming

6. server community

7. personal guild bank

8. overflow

9. other person's guild you craft legendaries with

10. guild hall with access to shimmering / tenebrous shards because yay EoD

You don't have to be in all of these. But you can see, it is quite easy to fill up your 5...

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 8:55 AM, Nyghtslave.6152 said:

I don't understand what the core issue would be after the restructure. Now it is possible I completely misunderstand you, in that case please correct me.

There is still a lot unclear about the restructure and the current beta is only testing a small part of the changes. But after the restructure server isn't used any more, it will be a team or something. So after the restructure the server you joined when you made your account (or the server you switched to) doesn't matter. You need something (other than a server) to tell the game who you want to play WvW with and guild seems like the logical choice for ArenaNet for that something. It looks like if you and your partner or colleague join the same guild (which you can create yourself) and choose that guild for WvW you will be on the same "team" (WvW server).

For the duration of the current beta you can't play WvW with your partner but the beta ends in a few days, on Friday (19th of August).  The next beta (if nothing changes) you can play with your partner/colleague if you choice the same guild for WvW. You can find this option on a tab in the WvW screen. I think you can lock your choice now and it should work in the next beta, it did for the current beta. Now it is a beta so everything can happen and bugs will happen. So far WvW beta's were only a week long so even if something happens it will only be an annoyances for one week.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rose Solane.1027 said:

I don't understand what the core issue would be after the restructure. Now it is possible I completely misunderstand you, in that case please correct me.

There is still a lot unclear about the restructure and the current beta is only testing a small part of the changes. But after the restructure server isn't used any more, it will be a team or something. So after the restructure the server you joined when you made your account (or the server you switched to) doesn't matter. You need something (other than a server) to tell the game who you want to play WvW with and guild seems like the logical choice for ArenaNet for that something. It looks like if you and your partner or colleague join the same guild (which you can create yourself) and choose that guild for WvW you will be on the same "team" (WvW server).

For the duration of the current beta you can't play WvW with your partner but the beta ends in a few days, on Friday (19th of August).  The next beta (if nothing changes) you can play with your partner/colleague if you choice the same guild for WvW. You can find this option on a tab in the WvW screen. I think you can lock your choice now and it should work in the next beta, it did for the current beta. Now it is a beta so everything can happen and bugs will happen. So far WvW beta's were only a week long so even if something happens it will only be an annoyances for one week.

What you're saying here is what I mean when I say I get how I can fix it now. As a fairly recent and casual roamer, I completely missed the memo and got assigned a different server than my husband. I get this is only for the beta, and while annoying, it's fine. I'll also make sure it doen't happen again.

My point is that I feel there could/should be a ways for people to fix it AFTER restructure (if this is indeed how restructure is going to happen). It's feedback for the future. For people like me and my husband, who aren't in a guild because they're (casual) roamers, and have maybe not played for a while so didn't get to lock in with people they want to play with.

So it's not about me, but rather that me being in this situation made me realize this issue is something that they might want to think of before restructure for players, even future ones.

Edited by Nyghtslave.6152
A word
  • Like 1

The length of a season is not yet finalized, but could be up to eight weeks long. Before a season begins, players can select which of their current guilds (and by extension, the alliance) they’d like to play with for that season. Once matchmaking occurs, any changes to a player’s selected guild will not take effect until the next season.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-world-restructuring-and-the-future-of-world-vs-world/

This blog post is filled with information about how the system will work. I strongly recommend reading it. As well as this other one here too: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-update-june-2022/

To answer your question more directly, if you did this mistake of not selecting your wvw guild for the next season, you would have to wait 8 weeks (maximum, maybe less?) for the next season to begin to be able to join your husband. Bear in mind that there could be a notification system in the future to help players not repeat that mistake. And maybe even support ticket? Maybe?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Solstice.5790 said:

You don't have to be in all of these. But you can see, it is quite easy to fill up your 5...

If person is dedicated to wvw game mode, they will find slot for it. Can be easily done if guild does more than one activity, like you. If u do PvE raid, farming and wvw, find guild which does same. 

• Confused 1

@Chichimec.9364 @Malus.2184

The language can totally be an issue in EU, but usually you can still follow a raid in vocal because a lot of calls are already in english.

Usually you just need some specific words in the language you don't know to understand general moves ( like "right/left", "push/back") and for that you can ask in squad (there is often few people that understand english and can answer you).

Of course, you won't understand all the side talks but that's okay 😉 

18 hours ago, Carcharoth Lucian.1378 said:

@Chichimec.9364 @Malus.2184

The language can totally be an issue in EU, but usually you can still follow a raid in vocal because a lot of calls are already in english.

Usually you just need some specific words in the language you don't know to understand general moves ( like "right/left", "push/back") and for that you can ask in squad (there is often few people that understand english and can answer you).

Of course, you won't understand all the side talks but that's okay 😉 

Only if people understand rudimentary English. You're unable to speak something unless you understand it, and then everyone also have to be able to understand it.

II can see that you're from France. I also guiess that you're from an extremely secluded community made up of outliers that you think are the average because thats all you meet. The average person from France knows little English aside from what they get through pop cultural osmosis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

II can see that you're from France. I also guiess that you're from an extremely secluded community made up of outliers that you think are the average because thats all you meet. The average person from France knows little English aside from what they get through pop cultural osmosis.

Yep i'm french but no, most people i know don't understand english at all ^^ (pretty common in France).

4 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

Only if people understand rudimentary English. You're unable to speak something unless you understand it, and then everyone also have to be able to understand it.

I was probably not specific enough, so i will try to be clearer.
Let's just talk about french community (maybe it's not the same for german and spanish ones).

When i say "you can still follow a raid in vocal because a lot of calls are already in english", it's just mean that, nothing more.
We (french) use a lot of english words in vocal for fights like bomb, shade, dps, heal, spike, stab, gyro (for inge stealth), cc/control, pull/grab. So people who understand a bit of english can follow a french lead that lead in french because of that and a french can follow an english lead even with no understanding of english. 
The 2 main issues in both cases would probably be : 
- the accents
- the direction calls because we use french words for that (left=gauche, right=droite, in front=en avant/devant, back=arrière)

To develop the main point of this thread, the language is totally a issue for the communication in map chat, because abbreviations and acronyms can be really differents between language/courntry communities. So the scouting can be really difficult. For example, in french, inner = P2 and outer = P1 and just that can already bring a lot of misunderstandings, and delay reactions 😞 .

Edited by Carcharoth Lucian.1378
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

i started the thread here and my experience began with the invitation to the beta test ingame and the wish for feedback here in the forum.

i followed this call, but i had to report bad experiences. my first, still existing posting was an angry one, it was fresh and filled with emotions. my second posting, written after beta ending, was a summary with critigue on the devs, because it seems, that their matrix to form "alliances" is missing some essential parameters:

- cultural needs: like playing with "your people", who share same place of living, history, way of thinking or manners and life style

- social needs: like talking in your mothertongue without the pressure to find extremely fast the correct translation with the fear of missing opportunities or for bad consequences

- after thinking about it, i got to the conclusion, that this reflects real life in northamerica too: for example think about hispanic people in the usa or the french people in canada ... btw: i am a gamer from europe playing over there 😉

instead of providing support to the discussion - the moderators showed a strange, different attitude: my posting got redefined as a "quitting thread", which is helpful only for moderators with a special aim, because this identification meets their table of punishment to give me a few days forum ban and allowed them to delete my posting.

my third posting was about crtitigue on moderators, because there is no other word than censorship for redefining a posting to ban the writer and to delete the posting. i thought to meet moderators, who can handle polite but clearly pronounced critigue, because its their job. well, i got a second ban and guess why, the posting got redefined to be deleted too. the likes from other gamers for my posting and the replies to my posting got deleted as well.

i am curious, what happens next with my fourth posting, because the second or at least the now presumeably following third ban should be approved by a supervisor - this is a very special point in the chain of escalation and we should think about the reason for such active, aggressive, protective meassures:

- The next step is an inofficial statement by an official anet representative

- proving the need of protection against any, even then smallest critugue, in this case a simple forum posting

- it might be seen as an inofficial assessment and forecast of performance figures - keep in mind, that only a weak product needs such ways of protection and support!

- Is it a coincidence, that it happened, when the steam release started?

- Is there a reason in the steamcharts, if you compare gw2 there with other games, which might give a hint for such extraordinary measures, all rules of deescalation misregarding?

the gamers following me in social media are curious like me concerning the now following feedback. i am extremely thankful for their strong and numerous and encouraging support. ... and as always: i do my backup here and continue discussing over there, because internet never sleeps and never forgets and cant be deleted by an anet forum moderator.

Edited by nafeesh al dija.8972
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, nafeesh al dija.8972 said:

i started the thread here and my experience began with the invitation to the beta test ingame and the wish for feedback here in the forum.

i followed this call, but i had to report bad experiences. my first, still existing posting was an angry one, it was fresh and filled with emotions. my second posting, written after beta ending, was a summary with critigue on the devs, because it seems, that their matrix to form "alliances" is missing some essential parameters:

- cultural needs: like playing with "your people", who share same place of living, history, way of thinking or manners and life style

- social needs: like talking in your mothertongue without the pressure to find extremely fast the correct translation with the fear of missing opportunities or for bad consequences

- after thinking about it, i got to the conclusion, that this reflects real life in northamerica too: for example think about hispanic people in the usa or the french people in canada ... btw: i am a gamer from europe playing over there 😉

All of those issues or parameters can be solved by joining the same guild. In fact as pointed out by others, many communities have guilds just for that purpose. Problem solved.

For someone so "invested" in WvW, you seem to have missed a rather large/crucial beta announcement (which was discussed on many channels of information) over an extended period of time. It can happen. The betas usually last 1 week. To get into such a fit even if placed on the "wrong" team seem rather petty.

You made a mistake, it affected your game experience for a limited amount of time. Learn from the mistake and move on.

instead of providing support to the discussion - the moderators showed a strange, different attitude: my posting got redefined as a "quitting thread", which is helpful only for moderators with a special aim, because this identification meets their table of punishment to give me a few days forum ban and allowed them to delete my posting.

If your wording was to ambivalent or you were still in a "venting" mood, then that could happen. It's on YOU to make your posts as clear and precise as possible. If your post came across as "quitting", then maybe you should have phrased it differently. Your opening post comes across a LOT like that too btw (and the "oh I was emotional" is not applicable. Being emotional does not circumvent forum rules).

my third posting was about crtitigue on moderators, because there is no other word than censorship for redefining a posting to ban the writer and to delete the posting. i thought to meet moderators, who can handle polite but clearly pronounced critigue, because its their job. well, i got a second ban and guess why, the posting got redefined to be deleted too. the likes from other gamers for my posting and the replies to my posting got deleted as well.

Discussion of moderation is not allowed. If you have an issue, contact customer support and explain the issue there. You can like it or not, but that's the rules which again you violated. You can find the forum Terms of Service here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/the-forums-code-of-conduct/

Edited by Cyninja.2954