August 23 Power Reaper balances feedback

Warscythes.9307

Staff

• Necrotic Grasp: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.666 to 1.
  • Mark of Blood: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.33 to 1.5
  • Chillblains: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 16 seconds to 12 seconds. Damage multiplier increased from 0.55 to 1.8.
  • Putrid Mark: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 20 seconds to 15 seconds.
  • Reaper's Mark: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 32 seconds to 18 seconds. Damage multiplier increased from 0.275 to 3.

Dagger (Main Hand)

• Life Siphon: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 10 seconds to 8 seconds.
  • Dark Pact: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds. Damage multiplier increased from 1.2 to 2.4. Immobilize duration increased from 3 seconds to 6 seconds.

Dagger (Off Hand)

• Deathly Swarm: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 18 seconds to 16 seconds. Damage multiplier increased from 0.6 to 1.2.
  • Enfeebling Blood: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 25 seconds to 20 seconds. Damage multiplier increased from 0.5 to 1.5.

Focus

• Soul Grasp: (PvE only) Ammunition recharge reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds. Ammunition count increased from 2 to 3.
  • Spinal Shivers: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 20 seconds to 16 seconds. Damage multiplier on targets with no boons increased from 0.5 to 1, one boon from 1.125 to 1.625, two boons from 1.875 to 2.375, and three boons from 2.625 to 3.125.

Reaper

Greatsword

• Fading Twilight: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 1.3 to 1.4.
  • Chilling Scythe: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 1.7 to 1.8.
  • Death Spiral: (PvE only) Damage multiplier per hit increased from 0.425 to 0.5.

Reaper Shroud

• Life Rend: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.875 to 0.9.

Shouts

• "You Are All Weaklings!": (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.7 to 2.5.
  • "Nothing Can Save You!": (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.7 to 2.
  • "Suffer!": (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.7 to 1.5.

Before I give my feedback, I would like to provide some personal opinion on what are the issues for power reaper beyond the usual "damage is too low". Adding damage modifier so it doesn't fall off the benchmark is not hard. Changing different skills/weapons so there is a variety of options and fun rotation is much harder and important.

1) There is no good offhand power weapon. 

- Warnorn is the only real option here and generally it is only really used for the cc. Warhorn 5 is barely a damage increase because the chance of you hitting every single proc for the entire duration is not great. Even if you do, the damage increase if at all is miniscule. Both dagger and focus are utility weapons that is not worth using for damage at all.

2) There is no good power weapon period besides greatsword.

- Axe 2 is good as a swap. That's it. If you are stuck with axe then your damage drop off a cliff because all the other skill on your second set is barely worth using. Ideally your second weapon set should be beyond a one point wonder for damage.

3) Gravedigger spam under 50% is both uninteresting and player is forced to trade off life force gain for damage. Above 50% the rotation is fine due to death spiral as part of the roation.

4) Taking damage in shroud is no longer seen as a defensive tool most of the time but more of a liability because your damage drops a very noticeable amount when taking too many hits. This used to be ok before before the damage reduction nerf, after this becomes much harder to justify. Side note that I actually don't have too much of an issue with this sort of play style where not getting hit means you can squeeze out more damage. However the current Reaper dps in general does not justify this sort of trade off.

5) Signet of spite is a boring stat stick. I feel having one of your utility literally be used to be stick in the bar and never ever press it is a terrible design. Skills should be used in the correct situation and not taken because everything else is bad compared to +180 power.

6) Shroud 5 is called executioner's scythe, yet the damage and cast time means it is only really used as cc and proccing the chill field only.

Looking at the changes:

Greatsword

• Fading Twilight: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 1.3 to 1.4.
  • Chilling Scythe: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 1.7 to 1.8.
  • Death Spiral: (PvE only) Damage multiplier per hit increased from 0.425 to 0.5.

GS chain buff is ok, above 50% it is used twice in one gs roation. 0.1 is not that much though. Death spiral buff is much more interesting. This means it does comparable if not more damage than gravedigger. So this skill is now worth using under 50%. The loop will no longer be gravedigger spam under 50%. Instead death spiral should be used in conjunction. This partially address issue 3 for the LF issue under 50% and mix up the rotations lightly. However the gravedigger spam is still there. Overall though, this is a good change as it mix up the rotation under 50%.

Reaper Shroud

• Life Rend: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.875 to 0.9.

ok.png

Any damage buff is welcome. Although this feels like it doesn't really do anything. You stay in shroud for a few rotations due to soul barbs. This honestly feels more the dev wanted a nice even round number than actual buff.

Shouts

• "You Are All Weaklings!": (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.7 to 2.5.
  • "Nothing Can Save You!": (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.7 to 2.
  • "Suffer!": (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.7 to 1.5.

Might be good, none of this is going to replace wells. It could replace the signet which is a welcoming change. Although I think even if this is worth using over the signet, I doubt the difference will be that much.

Staff

• Necrotic Grasp: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.666 to 1.
  • Mark of Blood: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 0.33 to 1.5
  • Chillblains: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 16 seconds to 12 seconds. Damage multiplier increased from 0.55 to 1.8.
  • Putrid Mark: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 20 seconds to 15 seconds.
  • Reaper's Mark: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 32 seconds to 18 seconds. Damage multiplier increased from 0.275 to 3.

Interesting changes. This could potentially over take axe+off hand. However as with the shout change, I do think that even if this ends up better than axe. I don't see this be a very noticeable increase. I do like that there is now options for offhand, power reaper has historically be awful at range combat and if this ends up being decent, it could shore up one of the major issues with the build. I just dislike staff skills in general all be giant circles that do damage for the most part.

Dagger (Main Hand)

• Life Siphon: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 10 seconds to 8 seconds.
  • Dark Pact: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds. Damage multiplier increased from 1.2 to 2.4. Immobilize duration increased from 3 seconds to 6 seconds.

Dagger (Off Hand)

• Deathly Swarm: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 18 seconds to 16 seconds. Damage multiplier increased from 0.6 to 1.2.
  • Enfeebling Blood: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 25 seconds to 20 seconds. Damage multiplier increased from 0.5 to 1.5.

Focus

• Soul Grasp: (PvE only) Ammunition recharge reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds. Ammunition count increased from 2 to 3.
  • Spinal Shivers: (PvE only) Recharge reduced from 20 seconds to 16 seconds. Damage multiplier on targets with no boons increased from 0.5 to 1, one boon from 1.125 to 1.625, two boons from 1.875 to 2.375, and three boons from 2.625 to 3.125.

I am going to lump all 3 of this together. All 3 of these weapons are still not worth using as the power coeffs are too low still. You are better off completely ignoring your second weapon set and just pretend you only have gs and shroud and these changes does not help. Swapping to GS and auto attack is still going to be better. 

Overall I think the changes are good, at least is interesting. Although I highly doubt it will take where power reaper needs to be.

As a power reaper player, I know I am extremely biased and any solutions I offer is going to be affected by it so I pointed out what I think the issues are first. However I can't help but give some personal suggestions. Take it as you will.

Short-term:

1) Buff second weapon set more, the weapon set should be better than GS auto attack above 50% and gravedigger spam under 50%

2) Buff shroud 5 so it is worth using in a rotation, at least under 50%. 

3) Buff shout damage, either give it more damage or an unique personal buff so is not just a press button do damage skill. Currently a lot of reaper's skill expression lays in shroud burst and be able to use all the wells and gs4 in shroud to take advantage of the mod. Could try to compound on the idea and give it a buff such as "While under effect of this shout, damage + by X%" or something different. It feels very odd that a power reaper does not use even one of its elite spec utility skills.

4) Just general damage buff. Power reaper should be at least above average in terms of damage as it is a selfish melee dps. Currently this means probably 36-37k at least on benchmark. The shroud defense doesn't matter much nowadays due to losing shroud is a big damage loss so tanking with it is a big no no regardless. 

Long-term:

1) Allow utility be used in Shroud, at the very least shouts.

2) Overall redesign on second set of power weapons beside GS.

3) Add options such as traits to let shroud function the same as harbringer shroud instead of taking damage means losing shroud hp. In fact this should apply to core shroud as well by merging it to a trait in soul reaping. 

That's it. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Yay we will be over 30k benchmark.

I am really wondering, if they did these changes and then noticed, that they forgot Necro.

Other professions get shareable might on weapon skills Necro (even though some of it ist that useable): no

Other professions get insane aftercast reductions of 0,5 or more seconds Necro: no

Even though there's relatively long aftercast on: gs2, gs5, axe Autoattack, reaper shroud Auto attack, dagger Autoattack.

I absolutely dislike the power coefficient buffs on core weapons overall. 

And I think that power harbinger will remain unplayable. I really wonder, why there are 3 power traits in that traitline.

There might be a way to play power harbinger, but having to cancel every single dagger Autoattack is just mental. If Anet fears, that the auto will will be too strong, by just removing  the aftercast, then reduce the damage a bit at the same time.

Edited by Nimon.7840
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

Staff: The changes are oppressively strong. They are literally doubling staff's damage and efficiency here.

Dagger MH: From my point of view, they miss the mark here.

Dagger OH: Not needed, but pretty good buffs nonetheless as it will make condi rotations smoother.

Focus: I guess the devs still don't understand the issue here.

GS/Reaper shroud: The change are insignificant.

Shout: Interesting for soloing open world content. No more, no less.

All in all I believe staff changes might bring the weapon into power builds rotations after this patch. It won't outdps the GS but I can now see value in introducing staff within both condi and strike damage rotations thanks to the lowered CD and increased damage coef.

Edited by Dadnir.5038
  • Thanks 5

Finally, some changes to Power weapons, and they are all underwhelming. 

The shouts still dont deal anywhere near as much damage as wells, so those changes are nothing but senseless number pushing. 
The Greatsword changes are a jest. You will still avoid the GS auto chain at all cost. The GS 3 tiny damage boost will hardly achieve anything.

The Reaper shroud change is also laughable. The first auto gets a minuscule buff so they just can list something at all.

The changes to Focus and Dagger are mindboggling. They wont change that GS is still the one thing you will bring on Reaper together with Axe for its 2. They are both not even great power weapons, not even the Greatsword. They are just the best we have right now.

Instead of buffing the Greatsword massively, so going in and out of the shroud would be finally something advisable, all we got is another patch by people who edit numbers via wiki knowledge and zero experience in playing the class. Just amazing.

Screw underwhelming. Those changes are just pathetic. Reaper will still bearly edge on the 30k Benchmark, and have a hard time to beat boon factories on real bosses, thanks to the problems with shroud upkeep and GS animation canceling.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I thought you were trolling when you shared these changes. I thought, “surely Anet hasn’t answered my prayers?”. But you my friend, you have given me hope. These staff changes are absolutely mental and so much more than i could’ve asked for. I am going to be a very happy necro when I’m going to login on August 23rd. 

The shout buffs are nice - its true that power reaper is likely only ever to be an open world spec - but at least it does that very well and big blasty shouts are always welcome.

Now we just need to see some new maps with crazy high mob density so we can make better use of that.

Edited by chronometria.3708

I like the idea to buff Shouts, but Wells are still better...   If they wants Shouts to be an alternative to Wells, they need to lower cooldown on each shout by 10 sec and makes shouts give a bit of Life force.  That would help Reaper struggling with life force!

• Like 3

A slight bump for sure. 

They could make one of the shouts into a lingering damage thing and call it Ender's Echo to be silly.  Pulsing damage interacting with shroud mods has been a thing for a while.

One thing they could also do that could buff both power harb and reaper is give spite its own version of Modified Ammunition  and merge Close to Death with the grandmaster minor trait. 

I dont expect any of these changes to be made but I'll throw the suggestions out anyways.

Edited by Artificer.3468
Too many spaces lol
  • Like 2

WHERE ARE THE AFTERCAST REDUCTIONS ?!?

necro weapons are clunky, unreliable and missing some extra utility...  its not just a number tweak

-blast on dagger 5

-warhorn rework failed, again

-mainhand dagger clunky

-dagger 4 cant climb stairs

-greatsword 5 has trouble climbing stairs

-focus = boons = pvp only

if it was a normal lazy numbers patch, no problem..... but  how could others get faster animations and improvements on weapon skills, yet necro animations were forgotten?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Staff sees the most ridiculous buff a weapon in this game has ever seen and transforms into a dps weapon. Has anyone done the math yet? It could almost outperform dagger and axe now, while also being aoe and 1200 ranged.

They missed buffing the dagger aftercasts the same time they buffed GS. Since GS is now way above dagger in dps numbers, there is no reason anymore to not do some QoL changes on dagger.

Shouts are okay, not overwhelming, but okay.

Side Note: These PvE patches suck and they are so lazy, that it is impossible to add them to the competitive modes some day. Imagine these staff multipliers and cooldowns in WvW!

Edited by KrHome.1920

Repeating my previous feedback from last time:

Revert the 23% crit reduction on death perception and give us fury on chills (or even crits on chilled targets) via either Shivers of Dread trait or Cold Shoulder trait.

You could even throw in some utility to it by having a major trait like Augury allow the fury to be aoe.

The real meat though still comes down to doing less damage as a full blown dps with no option to support yet still doing less dps than typical boon support builds.

The changes are a start but are by no means the solution, we need more, much more.

One of reapers strengths is also its greatest weakness for balance, we do great cleave, but this is often useless when it comes to fighting a boss. Could we get something that let us do more damage in single target?  Like a major trait that ramps up in stacks with each auto attack made to a single target but lose stacks when hitting multiple targets.

• Like 5

Looking at the mainhand dagger changes, I think all they would need to do is reduce aftercasts in the auto chain and add AoE healing to Life Siphon and you have a solid weapon to use in a Necro support build.  Value of that may still be debatable, but it would allow for a support scourge to actually have decent healing output, especially with traited dagger.  With the proposed cooldown change to Life Siphon, traited will have a 5.36 second cooldown for a heal that breaks 5.3k in Zealots gear, let alone anything with higher healing power.  Making that healing AoE and Necros would have a new build open up.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

Staff sees the most ridiculous buff a weapon in this game has ever seen and transforms into a dps weapon. Has anyone done the math yet? It could almost outperform dagger and axe now, while also being aoe and 1200 ranged.

so? Staff has been the lamest weapon in the whole game since that kitten dev decided Necrotic Grasp and Putrid Mark were the most powerful skills in the game and nerfed staff to the ground.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Ever since i started using OH dagger, 5 feels super slow, it's painful to use it, and most times it's not even worth it, cause other skills cd is shorter than d5 cast. Not to mention in pve, most targets die before the cast is even over...

Honesly, dagger 4 would be more useful if it was aoe blast on 5 targets with 360 radius or something, considering how many times it gets either reflected or miss a target entirely.

7 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

so? Staff has been the lamest weapon in the whole game since that kitten dev decided Necrotic Grasp and Putrid Mark were the most powerful skills in the game and nerfed staff to the ground.

Are you talking about the competitive changes on necrotic grasps and reaper mark?

You want to point a real PvE nerf of the staff? Talk about the lost stack of bleed on Mark of Blood, outside of that staff has never really been nerfed in its entire history. It was just that lame from the start (it was lamer, in fact, at the start).

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

What are you talking about?

5 minutes ago, Kaladel.1670 said:

Are you talking about the competitive changes on necrotic grasps and reaper mark?

You want to point a real PvE nerf of the staff? Talk about the lost stack of bleed on Mark of Blood, outside of that staff has never really been nerfed in its entire history. It was just that lame from the start (it was lamer, in fact, at the start).

I'm talking about the time dungeons were end content so kinda ancient history.

• Confused 2