August 23 Power Reaper balances feedback

Warscythes.9307

25 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

I'm talking about the time dungeons were end content so kinda ancient history.

I'm here almost since launch and there is absolutely no reference to what you are talking about. I neither have any memories of it. Sorry, but it sounds like you are spreading BS, here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Kaladel.1670 said:

I'm here almost since launch and there is absolutely no reference to what you are talking about. I neither have any memories of it. Sorry, but it sounds like you are spreading BS, here.

I believe he talk about how putrid mark used to transfer condition from allies to the foes struck instead of transfering only the necromancer's conditions to it's foes.

That said, necromancer wasn't great in end game content in the vanilla game even with putrid mark's original fonctionality.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I believe he talk about how putrid mark used to transfer condition from allies to the foes struck instead of transfering only the necromancer's conditions to it's foes.

That said, necromancer wasn't great in end game content in the vanilla game even with putrid mark's original fonctionality.

this^

necros used to be kicked from dungeons as fast as they are kicked from everything else nowadays but somehow a dev thought they weren't kicked fast enough so he literally said putrid mark was the most powerful skill in the game and that's why it needed to be nerfed.

same with staff #1. Hitting things beyond its range was somehow OP too...

• Like 1

the buffs are good and needed. i don't think reaper needs more utility, but just .. more damage. better modifiers will do that and i think the modifier on GS3 will be very nice.

IF Reaper should get utility, i'd vote for pulsating quickness while in shroud groupwide. I don't know why Harbinger gets all the "good stuff" and all the other specs don't but ... who am i to ask.

i doubt that the damage buff will be enough tho but let's see.

all in all, it's clearly a buff and that's nice.

• Like 3

•  
  • Fading Twilight: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 1.3 to 1.4. should be 1.3 to 1.7 to make enough of a difference
  • Chilling Scythe: (PvE only) Damage multiplier increased from 1.7 to 1.8. should be 1.7 to 2.0
  • Death Spiral: (PvE only) Damage multiplier per hit increased from 0.425 to 0.5.  should be 0.5 to 0.6

• Thanks 3

Staff change is really good and probably gonna replace Axe/WH, casting all 4 symbols is as fast as a full Axe2 and doesn't depend on the boss having 25 stacks of Vuln for full damage, and can be precasted!! Strong in some raid bosses and specially strong in Fractal CMs.

Shouts seem underwhelming, right now each shout deals like 2k of dmg to the golem with all benching settings so I really dobut they will replace any of the current utilities for power reaper.

• Like 2

I personally would like to see some boons on chill. Quickness or Alac. It also kinda makes sense to me in a way, you chill your enemies and move faster/recharge faster. And then, to share it with a subgroup you'd have to sacrifice some damage. The reaper is associated with anything that is of death (chilling is one of them) so it makes sense to me that when you enter his realm you are powerless and he can attack quicker/cast quicker.

Or another idea would be something related to shroud. When the reaper enters shroud he says: "I am death". Yet no boons related to that. It could pulse aegis to party members while he gets only 1 stack. Basically, while the reaper is in shroud and only a certain number of times (3 times say) it would help the party members to stay alive since he is, after all, the lord of death. 

Besides those 2 ideas any improvements to damage, not these distractions, are most welcomed since the spec is not good at all. It's pretty much in the same situation as Chronomancer now with its wells. Nobody plays Chrono wells for alac, they're garbage  same as nobody playing Power Reaper since it's, well, pretty bad.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

I don't understand all this hatetalking/ trashtalking about power reaper. Lovely braindead spec. And fine in instanced group content too. It is not mandatory to deal around 80% of benchmark in raids. Maybe if you want speedclears, then yes. More important in raids for example is to understand how the mechanics are working. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 8/13/2022 at 10:58 PM, Flumek.9043 said:

WHERE ARE THE AFTERCAST REDUCTIONS ?!?

necro weapons are clunky, unreliable and missing some extra utility...  its not just a number tweak

-blast on dagger 5

-warhorn rework failed, again

-mainhand dagger clunky

-dagger 4 cant climb stairs

-greatsword 5 has trouble climbing stairs

-focus = boons = pvp only

if it was a normal lazy numbers patch, no problem..... but  how could others get faster animations and improvements on weapon skills, yet necro animations were forgotten?

Focus = boons = pvp only?

Guess you hardly play T4 fractals with randoms. NOONE Boon rip there, and the bosses usually have perma protection against strike and conditions.

Bringing something to boon rip basically multiplies all party damage at least a 20%, which is far more useful than, lets say, alac perma boon.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, samsar.9152 said:

I don't understand all this hatetalking/ trashtalking about power reaper. Lovely braindead spec. And fine in instanced group content too. It is not mandatory to deal around 80% of benchmark in raids. Maybe if you want speedclears, then yes. More important in raids for example is to understand how the mechanics are working. 

This is no trash talk.

Can you play reaper if you want? Yes

Is it good? No

Dps specs that do the same dps as quickness supporters are not desired by any group.

And reaper doesn't provide any support.

And on top of that is full melee.

It would absolutely be enough if classes dealt 24k dps, and yet there's classes that do 37k+

And there's classes that just autoattack and reach 29k, while reaper has to cancel a lot of animations and use it's full kit to reach that number (should be a bit higher now, I'm expecting 31-32k).

There is some raid bosses where I play power reaper, but honestly I feel bad about it and tried to get a support role for those bosses in my static.

To me it feels like, I'm not contributing to the kill as much as others do, so I'm basically asking to get "carried".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Lahmia.2193 said:

Old focus 4, despite being totally unreliable, was far far superior to the current focus 4. 

Yeah it used to be great as a 1v1 burst skill but as soon as there were more characters involved in the fight the skill lost most of it's impact.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, William.3871 said:

Focus = boons = pvp only?

Guess you hardly play T4 fractals with randoms. NOONE Boon rip there, and the bosses usually have perma protection against strike and conditions.

Bringing something to boon rip basically multiplies all party damage at least a 20%, which is far more useful than, lets say, alac perma boon.

Or, since you'd be on Necro, you run a condition build with scepter and strip those boons as a natural part of your rotation.  Focus still has zero home in PvE.

Edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180
  • Like 5

This is bit of a follow up to my feedback. I think I pretty much got exactly what I expected. Staff performed better than I thought but everything else is within what I thought it would be. 

Overall the patch made staff as competitive second weapon set, gs3 is now no longer a dps loss to use under 50% which means it break the gravedigger spam somewhat and there is a small damage buff overall.

The offhand and shout changes has affected open world only. The overall damage went up by maybe 10% or so, I believe the 31k or 31.5k is the expected highest bench. So power reaper is still below quickness boon dps. The spec still need a very very big damage buff alongside other power classes like DH or holo to around soulbeast/bladesworn levels.

I still maintain that trying to buff skills to encourage a more healthy rotation such as gs3 buff is more important, but I think at a certain point in time maybe is best to just stick in damage modifiers somewhere and adjust slowly as needed. Reaper as a spec has been meta for a very short amount of time, I think maybe is about 2-3 months or so when the  lich minions could live forever to proc bleeds and that is a condi build. Power reaper has never been meta, at most it has been average at best cases with some niche applications such as quadim lantern. I think is time to stop this slew of slow adjustments to see where it goes and just drop something big. Like just add in an additional 20-30% damage big then adjust as needed. 

Edited by Warscythes.9307
  • Like 3

Staff is a blast in OW but even with the awesome buff it can't add to a proper DPS rotation in my opinion.

I don't have my full zerker gear so I haven't been able to properly test it on the golem to see how much DPS I can do now, but the only noticeable change is indeed Death Spiral as it now does basically the same damage as Gravedigger. 

On 8/13/2022 at 9:18 AM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Staff: The changes are oppressively strong. They are literally doubling staff's damage and efficiency here.

And the funny thing is we're still at 31k and it's on par with axe more or less (while we still have to flank with thief runes), at this point it's just a fashion choice what a joke lmao

• Like 1

Players are not understanding most of the changes with the patch. In most cases, the increases to the DPS don't fix the deficiencies. I would say the never do, unless the problem was ONLY about DPS. 

In a patch where most of the changes are adjustments to power DPS, no one should really expect much to how things function, which is where most of the problems are.  

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 5

The purpose for this patch was mostly to close the gap between weapons. I don’t think they intended to really redesign skills at this point, just to get the underused weapons a little more in line with the usual choices. Staff is decent now, nothing too crazy. It’s not suddenly a “meta” weapon but it’s close enough. In eod Focus is actually decent because a lot of enemies have boons on them by default so that’s great. Outside of eod it starts to struggle, but i still equip it because of binding of ipos. I mean, come on. It’s literally a demonic book of power. How can you not equip that as necro? Dagger could be better. Also anet please shove reaper’s might to soul reaping and completely rework spite.

The changes didnt help that much, just like they didnt with power berserker and holosmith.

On paper a high increase of a power coefficient sure looks nice. But if the base damage is low, then even an increase of 1000% (looking at you staff 5) only makes a skill decent at best. Thats the same problem with YaaW and other skills which got similiar buffs.

It would help, if the increased crit chance with vulnerability would be in the adept tier line. Bam, it can run full berserker, force/impact, scholar and does decent damage. No additional changes needed.

Edited by anbujackson.9564

3 hours ago, anbujackson.9564 said:

It would help, if the increased crit chance with vulnerability would be in the adept tier line. Bam, it can run full berserker, force/impact, scholar and does decent damage. No additional changes needed.

Please no. Not that way.

Scholar on Reaper always was a horrible experience. Got less than 90% health and its time to enter Shroud? Have fun not doing 10% extra damage for the whole Shroud rotation. 

12 hours ago, Darth Pooh.5638 said:

The purpose for this patch was mostly to close the gap between weapons.

No mainhand weapon is anywhere near as good as GS, which is already not pulling good numbers. No offhand weapon is anywhere near being usable. You just take them for style, and to not have an empty offhand slot. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Radina.6057 said:

No mainhand weapon is anywhere near as good as GS, which is already not pulling good numbers. No offhand weapon is anywhere near being usable. You just take them for style, and to not have an empty offhand slot. 

I mean, you’re not wrong. But hey, at least staff doesnt  hit like a wet noodle anymore. And I’d argue that offhand dagger is pretty usable. I mean, it’s not amazing, but it’s also not so bad it’s useless. For focus and warhorn, yeah those are pretty bad, even with their enhancing traits equipped.

Edited by Darth Pooh.5638
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Radina.6057 said:

Please no. Not that way.

Scholar on Reaper always was a horrible experience. Got less than 90% health and its time to enter Shroud? Have fun not doing 10% extra damage for the whole Shroud rotation. 

Well nothing is stopping you from playing sonething else.

Doesnt change the fact that the move of this trait would significantly buff reaper with minimal effort. We dont need warrior crit problems on other classes.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, anbujackson.9564 said:

Well nothing is stopping you from playing sonething else.

Doesnt change the fact that the move of this trait would significantly buff reaper with minimal effort. We dont need warrior crit problems on other classes.

It actually doesn't. The current build is full zerker with thief runes for perfect crit cap. You are trading off 5% strike damage for 175 power and 225 ferocity(or about additive 15% crit damage). Yes I understand is unrealistic for thief runes to always proc, but this is bench related. 

Currently Power reaper is about 31-31.5k. Target would be around 36k minimal. This is not going to be a significant change. In fact this is one of those slow changes that Anet likes to do which accomplishes very little like this patch and then we have to wait another patch cycle to pray for another buff. You have to understand how behind the spec is at the moment, it is pretty dire.

This is not a minimal effort as well, you can't just swap two traits and call it a day. Which trait do you propose to replace in adept and what is the new one do you plan on adding in master tier while keeping in mind any change you do affect both PvP and WvW.

Edited by Warscythes.9307
  • Like 1