New player's anxiety from picking a class

Mr LazyDazy.8961

2 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

Bad news: They're not perfect at it and will still occasionally screw over builds. LIke I have 0 clue what they want from Mirage in the coming patch. 

Just start playing what you enjoy and most of the time you'll be fine as long as your gear/traits match your role. If it's really bad swap, but I never had anyone whine at me even when i played sub-optimal setups in terms of fotm professions. 

Yeah Mirage is an unfortunate casualty in the plan to balance everything. I don't think it was as malicious as people make it out but yeah being a Mirage before a nerf does suck and is why where a lot of anxiety around picking a class comes from.

I think the thing to remember(like a few others have pointed out), Most of the balance goes to the very very end-game. Open World Mirage will be fine post-Nerf, it only effects the top 5% players. I mean it wont effect any of the content I play since I don't CM or Raid.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

I think the thing to remember(like a few others have pointed out), Most of the balance goes to the very very end-game. Open World Mirage will be fine post-Nerf, it only effects the top 5% players. I mean it wont effect any of the content I play since I don't CM or Raid.

It's definitely not healthy for mirage in raid. I doubt that normal mirage players were getting anything close to the numbers to justify a 25% reduction in damage on the axe ambush. Mech has been the go-to condi anything right now, so it was kind of shocking. The staff nerfs don't make much sense either as warlock is a DPS loss and normally only used for clone generation. 

You're right though, OW is fine. I don't play mirage in OW anymore though. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, SkinnyT.5382 said:

Stress? Anxiety? Baby this is a game . You and your friends should play whatever you think is fun. That's the only reason my friends and I have stick around since the the OG game. I don't know why you would play anything other than what you have fun playing.

Anxiety doesn't work like that for people unfortunately. 

Agreed it shouldn't be as stressful as it is, but the uncertainty about whether something will be a good decision is basically the def of what triggers it. 

Normally you can rely on a class/ spec in games being at least consistent. I've had to change my build 5 times in 100 days, I have less flexibility and less damage then I did in the beginning of June. And up until Grouch's well received thoughts on balance there was no source of optimism. 

The balance state of the game will often trigger anxiety for a lot of people who deal with that emotional challenge. And as someone who didn't play the game bc I didn't see an enjoyable spec til EoD, classes are massively important to a lot of players. Trying to be optimistic about the future eliminating this unneeded hurdle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2022 at 7:17 AM, Voyant.1327 said:

Anxiety doesn't work like that for people unfortunately. 

Agreed it shouldn't be as stressful as it is, but the uncertainty about whether something will be a good decision is basically the def of what triggers it. 

Normally you can rely on a class/ spec in games being at least consistent. I've had to change my build 5 times in 100 days, I have less flexibility and less damage then I did in the beginning of June. And up until Grouch's well received thoughts on balance there was no source of optimism. 

The balance state of the game will often trigger anxiety for a lot of people who deal with that emotional challenge. And as someone who didn't play the game bc I didn't see an enjoyable spec til EoD, classes are massively important to a lot of players. Trying to be optimistic about the future eliminating this unneeded hurdle. 

Honestly people need to get off the forums, i had a break from posting here for a while after getting bullied and having all my posts locked by moderators (I was at fault but not for a great reason, like sticking up for Virtuoso during initial EoD launch)

All classes can be played in the OW and in end-game content, if they have group boon or heal they can technically preform these roles. If you consistently look at the Meta classes and builds it will be depressing for anyone that starts but they have to remember most people who follow the Meta are in the top 1% of players.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have played through 10 years of content on all nine professions, with shifting favor depending on my current mood and the profession's current state. It is impossible to predict what's to come, but I can say from said past experience that every class has been 100% playable thoughout those 10 years. You can't really make a "wrong pick" there.

On 8/13/2022 at 9:35 AM, Mr LazyDazy.8961 said:

My only level 80 a warrior seem to be most viable as a banner warrior, which to me sounds boring.

That's in instanced endgame content such as raids.

There is no reason why you can't go full damage in the open world, story, and fractals. You can play a Power or a Condition build. I have played through all four campaigns, including their LW episodes and maps, on both, and with ease.

By the way, banners are mere utilities. You are still doing a viable damage rotation.😉 And you won't need to take them along if Quickness is already covered in your subgroup.