ANet, Time to Segregate.

If Alliances are ever to work as intended they have to be segregated by language. Any Alliance got to have a nationality next to it like servers currently do. The Alliance will fal apart instantly unless everyone in it is able to understand the same language as trhey simply will never be able to communicate.

It's also better that ANet makes official language Alliances because else the players will make unofficial ones themselves as you'll see players congregate around certain ones if they're on a non-English speaking majority. People want to be able to communicate as it's the only way they can describe what they want. Even a person without verbal language will communicate in signs (primitive or advanced) and sounds. I see this in people who've developed aphasia or otherwise has no verbal language. They always find ways to communicate with others anyway, even something as simple as angling their eyes a certain way. People will do similar in Alliances and the only way they can, since written language is all they have, is to congregate around people who can understand that language.

Humans have an innate need to be able to communicate and be understood. That's juist a fact of life. And especially in Europe where you have many different languages and several countries where English education is hard to come by and/or unsupported by the public by dubbing everything this language split for servers is sorely needed. 

I can communicate in English as a secomd language to my native. I'm unable to communicate in French and I can only do the basic German as in asking for directions. If I by chance end up in an Alliance with a language split between English and others I'm hosed, and many people will be in a similar situation.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

[Ascension Bay] — [&BNMEAAA=]
[Baie de l'Ascension]
[Aufstiegsbucht]
[Bahía de la Ascensión]
halp
[ping][ping][ping][ping][ping][ping][ping]
[ping][ping][ping]

This is the primitive form of communication in WvW that does not require to speak a specific language.
I hate it, but it kinda working. Would be great to add "red 15, wall 25%, 1 cata" but that would be less primitive.

Teams are composed of several Alliances. This is automated by a matchmaker to have competitive population on all sides.

Alliances are composed of several Guilds. This is manual, community/player managed. You can decide to have only Esperanto-speaking guilds. Or a mix with English for your Alliance if you think there are not enough Esperanto speaking players.

Your guild, that you chose, I hope fits your needs in terms of communication. There are WvW guilds, community ones, that gather people to be able to play together.

2 hours ago, ManiacMika.9851 said:

This is the primitive form of communication in WvW that does not require to speak a specific language.
I hate it, but it kinda working. Would be great to add "red 15, wall 25%, 1 cata" but that would be less primitive.

It's also utterly useless for anything other than PPT play since using VC and calling things out is impossible as people are unable to understand each other. In the US this is barely an issue as everyone is default assumed to be able to speak and understand English. In Europe English speakers are rare in Germany and almost non-existent in Spain and France. France is so bad for English that even the middle-school level for most countries here is above French high school English.

US servers also have Korean and Portuguese speakers, but since they've never been split off and there's a more significant timezone difference, it wouldn't make sense to do anything differently there. European servers did originally have separate languages so I see the merit in splitting those up; however, if the number of servers per language is any guide, there might be significant balance problems with some of them.

I have seen this mentioned in another thread - where people tried to counter with the links where we already have mixed links.

Personally for me it is not a problem since I am German and I speak English and I play on an English server. (Still annoynig when suddenly 3 different langauges are mixed up - like in the beta now where I read French, English and German in the team/map chat.)

For players that are not organized in guilds (casuals) - they might be driven away. Espcially if they are English/French/Spanish and preferred to play with their language's servers ... and then getting mixed up with a lot of players that only speak English. (While for the classic server system - even with links - you still had at least a lot of people from the own server speaking that language. Unless your server was empty and linked with server with tons of players speaking another language I guess.)

So yes: This needs to be taken into account. Keep it similar to the linking: Either only players of one language. Or 2 languages with a mixed balancing (aiming for 50/50 percent of both languages). Usually then one local language + English (="internatinal" - for all the players that got no localized language option). If this does not happen ... then you could scrap the language system completely I guess ...

This should either use the old servers as a legacy system (taking the langauges based on the server you were/are) ... or having an option to set this separately in the account/guild or WvW window.

For the Spanish it might be something new - since they used to only be without link. But I can't imagine them filling up some of the new worlds or "shards" (I think is the new term they want to use in the future) ... they might get some English players then.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

So yes: This needs to be taken into account. Keep it similar to the linking: Either only players of one language. Or 2 languages with a mixed balancing (aiming for 50/50 percent of both languages).

Anet already thought of that and make it even better than your idea because it allows the players to choose and form their own groups, where they can set their own language rules. 

They call the system... alliances.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3