My feedback on the August beta event

It seems that the names or the teams and maps are absolutely messed up. I continuously get notifications about servers capturing locations that are not the assigned team names. I have also seen people in my friends list that are supposed to be on my same map but are not. I don't know how this is still a thing.

Every single map I go to there is a 20+ zerg of the blue team while there are barely 10 people from my team and we are constantly outnumbered. Weren't the teams supposed to be matched according to activity? I'm sure the "metrics" will show that all the teams were perfectly balanced, but this is garbage.

The only progress from the previous beta events is that the minimap is showing the right colours.

This, combined with the lack of balance and attention to the cornerstone gamemode really makes it hard to keep on playing. I'm tired of fighting the same mech/scrapper/harbinger builds all of the time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

This is a Beta. Not final product.
The team is not fixing EVERY aspects, but it's fixing a few at a time.
It's actually mostly monitoring on parts you don't even see from the game, like server processor usage and bandwidth, and ip addresses, map creation, etc. You don't see this. This is only 1 week. It's nothing for you. It's huge for them.

Balance is at the most basic at the moment, because it's not been implemented yet.
There's supposed to be like a restricted amount of players per Guild/Alliance, that will get score and will be paired against a similar strength/timezone enemy on the next match, a ladder based system, and that will be great. But this is not the point of the beta right now. The point is to see if the maps and teams are correctly made. And if they are not, THAT'S THE POINT OF BETA, to see what went wrong to fix it next time.

The build/skill balance is a totally other topic. And you can see there are some changes happening. But it's a slow process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Silvoshipnos.2089 said:

It seems that the names or the teams and maps are absolutely messed up. I continuously get notifications about servers capturing locations that are not the assigned team names. I have also seen people in my friends list that are supposed to be on my same map but are not. I don't know how this is still a thing.

This little thing annoys me so much. It has been in there since the first testing and still they have not fixed it.. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Horrible matchmaking. Am on some "team" called Dragon's Claw that seems to have NO coverage - except in NA prime time. Outnumbered in at least 2 maps right now. Frustrating that they don't take into account coverage when they created the teams. Can't see how, in this current state, this is better than regular Servers. At least there, we had some coverage.

This is not a "beta" - it's, at best Alpha, if not pre-Alpha. What is being "tested" exactly?

• Like 5

As said before, there is no coverage data yet. Not during 1-week beta. Your expectation for this week is not what is should be.

Why are you saying the word "team" with quotes? Yes, it's a team. It has to have a name. Like the Dementists from sPvP teams.

In this current state, it's not aimed at being better. It's aimed at being, simply. If it is, if it simply exists, then it's a success. That what you are supposed to expect. Because the way it will work is coded differently than with regular servers.

It will be better later. Think of cooking a pizza. From scratch. You were using flour to make the dough and then ingredients on top that are balanced to have a nice flavor. Sadly, the flour you used is not good anymore and you need to figure out which other flour can work well, what quantity etc. Because if you don't, there are chances that your tomato sauce will just go through your dough and ruin your oven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

This is my preliminary feedback on the August Beta. For this beta, my main account is on the Genth's Door Team with Desolation Community [DC] and my alt account is a guildless random assigned to Moogooloo.

1. Your team-building algorithm doesn't look to be so good this time. In the EU Moogooloo - Grenth's Door - Fortune's Vale matchup, Grenth's Door seems to have a lot more people than Moogooloo. In fact Moogooloo seems to be horribly outnumbered during Saturday afternoon (a very popular EU WvW time slot).
  2. Guild missions seem to be oddly affected by the coding. I ran my weekly Rank missions this morning (Saturday AM EU time) and they simply stopped part-way through and needed to be re-started. This happened for each of three different rank missions.

More to come later as & when I find things to speak about.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Silvoshipnos.2089 said:

It seems that the names or the teams and maps are absolutely messed up.

Yes, It's not a big thing, but it is very annoying that this confirmed bug exists since the first beta and it is not fixed.

3 hours ago, ManiacMika.9851 said:

The team is not fixing EVERY aspects, but it's fixing a few at a time.

Better communication from Anet about the bugs from the previous betas and which ones were (not) fixed might have been helpful. The blog post from July 26 does not even mention this bug.

Edited by Zok.4956

In my opinion the new beta is great. I had already some really awesome hours over the last 2 days. 
I like it, that it feels a lot more "alive" und you need to be a lot more careful if you want to capture something since there are always enemies around.

One thing that maybe could be improved: 

- If I represent a guild I can see where the members of this guild are (even when i am fighting against this guild)  

Thank you for the great work!

On 8/13/2022 at 11:34 AM, ManiacMika.9851 said:

I really don't care about your opinions on my opinions. Take them elsewhere. I don't know why you think I care about anything you have to say.

I'm here voice my thoughts, not to have an argument with someone who enjoys getting a brown nose.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

so, weekend on 4th wvw beta testing and in this match up:

dragon's claw (me)
skrittsburgh
thornwatch

saturday from 11am to 7pm Eu time, was outnumbered in Eb
sunday  seems already same situations.

if with linking you tried to put more people in the game and that was half achieved, creating though overstacked servers (with transfers) 

now i'm wonderying what alliance should achieve or try to fix? 
sort population balance? how? i don't see any change of this

i see that during eu "prime time" (lets say day from 8am to 11pm) i see that skrittburg (red) and thornwatch (green) often are simply 30-40? and steamroll everything in Eb as in other maps, with us dragon's claw that don't have even 10-15 players and seriously can't stand a chance nor to fight-defend nor to attack something of red or green

at this point when we have players? from 1am to 3am? or from 3am to 6am???

Edited by funghetto.1584
  • Like 1

What’s new in this beta event?

• We hope to test a new internal deployment system that automates many aspects of executing a World Restructuring beta, including the steps involved in team creation and matchmaking. It should simplify the internal process of hosting beta events and make it less prone to human error. This is a big step toward having the feature enabled full time on the live game servers without manual upkeep by our Platform Engineering team.
  • We’ve reduced the likelihood that players will be placed on the incorrect team or realm (assuming they properly selected a WvW guild prior to the deadline).
  • We’ve implemented bug fixes and mitigations for the “queue bug.”

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-world-restructuring-beta-4-begins-on-august-12/

The scope of the Beta 4 event is very limited. Do not expect anything beyond the listed items.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, funghetto.1584 said:

so, weekend on 4th wvw beta testing and in this match up:

dragon's claw (me)
skrittsburgh
thornwatch

I am part of this matchup on the Thornwatch side (kind of, because this morning what I saw in the guild tab, what was displayed when loading in and out of matches and what the game displays who is capping what, was all over the place and showing a wide variety of pre-beta servers and other names than the ones mentioned above.

But back to this match up: When it comes to RBL, I would say that Dragon's Claw had the best small teams on the map, working together to take stuff of all sizes (with the exception Garri), while Thornwatch had slightly more players, but being less effective than the blue side. Red was re-taking the northern towers fast, when they flipped and the keeps in general were assaulted quite a lot compared to "tradional servers". It is a lively match-up with a lot of variety of fights and a lot of fights happening. I assume that every side had their moments of victory and defeat Saturay and Sunday morning hours so far on the RBL (Skrittsburgh).

PS: I am on EU servers, which makes me wonder whether ANet created cross EU/NA match-ups for the first time or EU and NA have two versions of the same match up? Can someone answer that?

Edited by Gorani.7205

On 8/13/2022 at 11:46 AM, misterman.1530 said:

Horrible matchmaking. Am on some "team" called Dragon's Claw that seems to have NO coverage - except in NA prime time. Outnumbered in at least 2 maps right now. Frustrating that they don't take into account coverage when they created the teams. Can't see how, in this current state, this is better than regular Servers. At least there, we had some coverage.

This is not a "beta" - it's, at best Alpha, if not pre-Alpha. What is being "tested" exactly?

Asking myself the EXACT same question.

This is currently the state of wvw in the timeslot that I am playing and red team is domination population wise the whole day.

https://prnt.sc/aHBWZSvXftfU

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/13/2022 at 12:01 PM, ManiacMika.9851 said:

As said before, there is no coverage data yet. Not during 1-week beta. Your expectation for this week is not what is should be.

Why are you saying the word "team" with quotes? Yes, it's a team. It has to have a name. Like the Dementists from sPvP teams.

In this current state, it's not aimed at being better. It's aimed at being, simply. If it is, if it simply exists, then it's a success. That what you are supposed to expect. Because the way it will work is coded differently than with regular servers.

It will be better later. Think of cooking a pizza. From scratch. You were using flour to make the dough and then ingredients on top that are balanced to have a nice flavor. Sadly, the flour you used is not good anymore and you need to figure out which other flour can work well, what quantity etc. Because if you don't, there are chances that your tomato sauce will just go through your dough and ruin your oven.

actually he gave his feedback, like it or not. Anet can't improve if they dont get negative feedback or suggestions. He is totally right in what he is saying.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Match making imo is still like it has been for years .. grossly deflating both for those being constantly outnumbered and stomped 24/7 and for those doing the stomping after an hour or two.

It is ridiculous that guild mates cant run as parties no matter if they all ticked some box prior to a date deadline.. not everyone has/had that ability to do that and now find themselves at the mercy of the above deflating matchup system.

WvW was by far one of my favourite gamemodes, but this "new way" just isn't cutting it for me - sure its beta, but the game still has to be functionally good and enjoyable to play with your guild mates - something that has missed by a country mile imo.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I feel this. My experience was our guild is all on different servers instead of the same even with signing up.... Ok fine I'll go solo roam.

Go capture a camp and some other guild name gets credit for the capture. If they were also there and got credit I don't care. But when you're solo capping only to see some other team's name... Its a buzzkill. 

This ended my WvW Beta experience as I'm not trying to rep some random guild. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Korgov.7645 said:

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-world-restructuring-beta-4-begins-on-august-12/

The scope of the Beta 4 event is very limited. Do not expect anything beyond the listed items.

And there is also a paragraph titled  "Which changes are NOT in this beta event?"

So what about (new) bugs that happened during the previous betas (and not before) and that are not mentioned in "What’s new in this beta event?" and that are not mentioned in "Which changes are NOT in this beta event?". Did Anet even agree/know that those bugs exist?

As I already wrote: Better communication from Anet about the bugs from the previous betas and which ones were (not) fixed might have been helpful.

3 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

And there is also a paragraph titled  "Which changes are NOT in this beta event?"

So what about (new) bugs that happened during the previous betas (and not before) and that are not mentioned in "What’s new in this beta event?" and that are not mentioned in "Which changes are NOT in this beta event?". Did Anet even agree/know that those bugs exist?

As I already wrote: Better communication from Anet about the bugs from the previous betas and which ones were (not) fixed might have been helpful.

We can assume the already reported bugs are somewhere in the backlog. Publishing a vetted list of reported bugs takes effort, too. Which would be away from development.

• Confused 1

That beta doesnt help alot to fix coverage, last time I went in wvw I was outnumbered in all maps except home bl. Losing most of my friends and usual teamates for that isnt fun at all. I wanted some changes in wvw but this is only make it worst.

Edited by manu.7539
  • Like 3

My own feedback on the Beta so far is just a bit different than a lot of the other feedback I've read. On Friday at WvW reset and then again on Saturday and Sunday, at the regular reset time, I was on my alt account and rode with a small, casual guild of friends who want to stay independent and not join an Alliance. We were averaging 9-12 people in our squad across all three nights. On Friday, after the WvW reset, there were LONG queues on all the maps, as anyone with WvW exp would have expected. It took an hour for all of our folks to get onto the Alpine Borderland map we had agreed to start on. None of our folks hit the kind of queue glitches reported in earlier Betas. It was just a long wait, but that is normal on Fridays after the reset. On Saturday and Sunday there were some queues but not as long as Friday's. Again, no one in our squad hit any queue glitches. The only person from our guild who was not assigned to our team or world or whatever it's called was someone who had been gone from the game for a while and who didn't get back until Friday, when it was past the deadline to choose a WvW guild. All our members who chose our guild before the deadline got into the right team and the right map.

On Friday and Saturday nights there was intense fighting on the maps we were on. I did see large zergs repeatedly wiping smaller groups. That seemed to me to be more a matter of the commander's ineptitude rather than some kind of uneven population distribution. On all three nights, our tag was able to lead us away from the big zergs to things we could cap and groups more our own size that we could actually have a serious fight with. Sunday night I only saw a couple of big zergs and again, most of our time was spent fighting over camps and towers with groups our own size. It was lively fun.

Sunday morning, NA time, I was on my main account, riding with a WvW ppt guild that was part of a carefully planned and prepared Alliance. We were running 40+ people in squad for some two hours. I only heard of one person from that guild who was not able to get into the designated team/world. I don't know the details so have no idea if that failure was caused by the player doing something wrong or by some glitch in the Beta. During that two hours, as we ran around on map after map capping everything in sight, we only had two actual fights. In one, a group put up a credible tower defense and it took us bit to break in and wipe them. In the second fight, a reasonably sized group came charging out of their tower to attack us. It was actually pretty funny/sad to see as they all ran right into a choke point where we had a circle of people waiting above them and we melted/murderized their whole group very quickly. I have no idea if they blamed population imbalance for their loss but it was pretty clear to me that the real problem was the ineptitude of their tag. We so dominated the maps on Sunday morning that the guild's main concern was if there would be any content during the rest of the week. That remains to be seen of course.

Oh, there is one other thing of note about this Beta. In one of these feedback threads I saw someone making disparaging remarks about the exp bonus this week as though it was worthless. During our two hour run Sunday morning I gained 13 levels. The highest number of ranks gained by someone in that guild during that run was 17. Don't know about you, but that kind of exp gain doesn't sound worthless to me.  🙂

• Like 1

My feedback for the Aug Beta event:

• Was not placed with my Guild that I had checked prior to beta.
  • Logged in to an overflow map (not normally an issue), could not get into WvW from overflow map (WTF???).
  • Getting spammed with "Failed to defend objective X" that I defended, when I look at the map, my team still owns objective X.
  • When I first got into WvW, had issues with getting on my mount (would have to come to a complete stop then mount up).
  • All of my WvW Abilities were zeroed out, yet I could not place any points in any of them (WvW rank 2500+, so plenty of extra points available).

In the case of the last two items, I was finally able to get the Abilities to show up.  Had to open the WvW UI a couple times and scroll up and down the Abilities list, this also seemed to fix the mount up issue.  For the overflow issue, I went to another zone (I was in LA initially) to resolve.