Will mounts be required to progress in EoD?

Returning player here, havent really played since PoF came out and i was very disappointed with that expansion as a whole because it isnt possible to progress without the mounts. (But thats beside the point of this post) So far based on what I've read it seems that I might be able to enjoy this expac as someone who really doesn't want to use a mount at any point.

But basically I'm trying to determine if its worth paying for an expansion that i may end up regretting like PoF.

Any insight from someone more knowledgable than me would be appreciated.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

Genuinely curious, why do you not want to use a mount?  I know players that enjoy playing the game in sequence, and play as originally intended, so do not have mounts until they reach PoF (myself included, on first playthrough).  

EoD would be possible to go on foot but the overall experience will be frustrating, exasperating, and you will be left behind if you're interested in any of the metas.  There are some raptor taxis and places to borrow a skiff (you will be using it for personal story, it is provided).  Those are very limited.  I would at the very minimum suggest a raptor, skimmer, and a springer.  

• Like 5

The tldr version is: I don't need them.

I've played this game since beta, my buddy let me make a character on his account to play while he was at school and I loved it so much i eventually bought my own game to play at the same time as him. We both ran around and (at the time) 100% the map together. No other MMO made exploring feel this good, and it was all done without mounts, which in other games just served to clutter the world and trivialize the journey (in my opinion).

So when PoF came along and flat out made it not possible to progress without the mounts, I resented that. 

And before anyone gets upset that I want them to take mounts away, it's the natural progression of an MMO to grow and add ways to traverse quicker. I just want the option to explore the world on foot. Even if it ends up being exasperating and frustrating.

• Confused 5

1 hour ago, Serdude.6513 said:

The tldr version is: I don't need them.

I've played this game since beta, my buddy let me make a character on his account to play while he was at school and I loved it so much i eventually bought my own game to play at the same time as him. We both ran around and (at the time) 100% the map together. No other MMO made exploring feel this good, and it was all done without mounts, which in other games just served to clutter the world and trivialize the journey (in my opinion).

So when PoF came along and flat out made it not possible to progress without the mounts, I resented that. 

And before anyone gets upset that I want them to take mounts away, it's the natural progression of an MMO to grow and add ways to traverse quicker. I just want the option to explore the world on foot. Even if it ends up being exasperating and frustrating.

I dont want to judge your preferences, do as you please. But, post POF maps are designed with mounts in mind. Mounts dont take away from exploration because exploration is tailored for mounts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

There's one part of the story where you need a springer to do their stomping jump on some rooftop grubs, I don't know if you can get around that without one.  BUT..just remembered that there are rentals for them all around the map so maybe that will be enough to get you thru it?

Raptor’s needed in Kaineng as well for a heart. But again, rentals are available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cuks.8241 said:

post POF maps are designed with mounts in mind

Which was part of my opposition to adding mounts to the game. Everyone saying, "if you don't like them you don't have to use them," back when mounts were just a point of discussion rather than an in game reality, ignored the fact that the existence of mounts would change the way maps are designed.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

There are a few points in EoD where the mounts are a requirement, but they offer mount rentals at those points, so PoF progression isn't required to complete EoD. Though, like many others said, it's generally a lot quicker and smooth if you have them.

I would also advise keeping an open mind amount mounts in this game, since it sounds like you might be approaching them with a preconceived notion of what they are/how they work, possibly based on other games. Unlike other games, they aren't just map clutter or ways for players to show off. Each mount has completely unique physics and feel, along with mastery paths and mechanics centered around their functions, abilities, and progression. They aren't just a way of getting around it looking pretty, they are functional pieces of game mechanics that really do add to the gameplay in many ways. There's a reason GW2 mounts are pretty universally accepted as being the best out there.

The "main" mounts (Raptor, Springer, and Skimmer) are practically given to you with basic PoF progression, and now if you have any expansion purchased, the Raptor is given to you for free (every 10 levels if you haven't received it yet). So if nothing else, I'd recommend logging in, get your free Raptor, and run around and see how it feels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2022 at 7:43 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Neither one of those Renown Hearts require a Mount (the Springer nor the Raptor) to complete.  As with many Renown Hearts, there are several options to complete them.

For the Cobble Ward heart, you'd have to follow someone around, wait until they tail spin a tower, then fight the Jade Brotherhood that appear to get progress? Or is there something else not listed on the wiki?

The heart is so heavily focused on the steam canisters, I would have said the only ways to progress it are delivering them, and running through the drones on the raptor, in spite of doing that heart several times.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1

I was very happy about my skyscale in EoD, esp. Kaineng, as it allowed me to go mostly the direct way everywhere. Jade-Tech allows you to move now as well. But I never really checked, what you need to go somewhere, my skyscale brought me everywhere easily.

Since PoF the number of waypoints per maps is greatly reduced, as mounts increase your speed, but without mounts it is quite a way to walk now, but in EoD you can set "personal WP's" now with Jade-tech, if you don't forget before a boss fight, you are back in after dead faster than ever.

Edited by Dayra.7405

40 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

For the Cobble Ward heart, you'd have to follow someone around, wait until they tail spin a tower, then fight the Jade Brodtherhood that appear to get progress? Or is there something else not listed on the wiki?

The heart is so heavily focused on the steam canisters, I would have said the only ways to progress it are delivering them, and running through the drones on the raptor, in spite of doing that heart several times.

You are correct.  I never have completed that Renown Heart by doing the deliveries, and forgot that one used the Tail Spin for the other parts.  My bad.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I fear that I might've given the impression that I was ignorant of how the mounts in this game work. Im fully aware that they have specific functions instead of looking pretty, and I'm even willing to admit they might seem to be the best implementation in recent memory.

I'm more so coming from a place of bitterness because I enjoyed that this game had an emphasis on exploratiom but made you do it all on foot so you could appreciate the scenery and the journey, but then PoF comes out and flat out forces you to use mounts if you want to play at all.

I dont ever look through the forums or anything so to me it seemed like a blindside. I begrudgingly finished the first few story quests and then never touched that xpac again.

Anyways TLDR is I might have to accept this gane isn't for me anymore and move on.

Thanks again for the replies though.

• Confused 3

On 8/15/2022 at 9:40 PM, Serdude.6513 said:

Returning player here, havent really played since PoF came out and i was very disappointed with that expansion as a whole because it isnt possible to progress without the mounts. (But thats beside the point of this post) So far based on what I've read it seems that I might be able to enjoy this expac as someone who really doesn't want to use a mount at any point.

But basically I'm trying to determine if its worth paying for an expansion that i may end up regretting like PoF.

Any insight from someone more knowledgable than me would be appreciated.

Story is okay, openworld doable but maps are very large and inconvenient to travel on foot. Elite specs are kind of forced because they are overpowered.

Overally, eod as content very lacking. It should have been living world chapter instead.

• Confused 1